Dimension Pro virtual B3 vs 57 Drawbar Organ (powered by Kore)

Author
Legion
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1986
2010/05/15 15:36:23 (permalink)

Dimension Pro virtual B3 vs 57 Drawbar Organ (powered by Kore)

I was wondering if anybody have both and what they would concider being the biggest differences. Well, off course the 57 is a C3 and the one in Dim Pro's expansion a B3 but more like when it comes to sound etc (both being totally configurable when it comes to drawbars, keyclicks, perc etc by the user as well).

Also, is the 57 loadable in Kontakt (like in .nki or multi format or something) as I don't really like Kore for some reason.

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.

14 Replies Related Threads

Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:Dimension Pro virtual B3 vs 57 Drawbar Organ (powered by Kore) 2010/05/15 23:31:14 (permalink)
    '57 Organ beats anything in DIM pro hands down. You even have control over the drawbars.  It does not work in Kontakt which I think was a big mistake on NI's part.

Here is the review I posted some time back
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1877605

However do yourself a favour and check out the stuff from Genuine Soundware - Cheaper uses less resources and sounds much better.
    http://www.genuinesoundware.com/

VB3 is the best emualtion around at the moment IMHO, only NI B4 II  rivald it and that's been discontinued for long time.

You get two manuals and pedel board, full control over all the drawbars, percussion, keyclick, distortion, leslie, microphone placement etc. I doubt if a sampled instrument will willr come close.

You can also down load the "Soundfonts.it legasy donation ware plugins" at the bottom of this page http://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=downloads this included organized Trio which is an older, but still excellent, version of the VB3. (the Rhodes and Wurlitzer emulations in this pack are very useful too)

There are quite a few other threads, with some useful info and opinions such as this one.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1924788

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    Legion
    Re:Dimension Pro virtual B3 vs 57 Drawbar Organ (powered by Kore) 2010/05/16 05:06:32 (permalink)
    Thanks a lot for your input and very interesting review. One thing though, in Dim Pro's Virtual B3 you can control the individual drawbars as well as the gain, freq and q knobs normally controlling EQ 1-3 instead controls each individual drawbar. Also the Bit Red controls Rotary speed, Decim controls percussion while FX left and right controls rotary high and low depth and FX Input controls Key Click. It's actually very versatile.

Yeah I've tried Organized Trio and like it a lot as well as the excellent NuBi LE (with Spinner LE) and NubiPlus that are sadly discontinued freeware. I was just looking for something samplebased (don't really know why) and was wondering if it would be worth shelling out fo the 57 as Virtual B3 already gives me all controls (and then I run it through Ampltube 3 for rotary amp sim). I would have loved B4 II though, especially because of the different tonewheels like the Farfisa.

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
    Glyn Barnes
    Re:Dimension Pro virtual B3 vs 57 Drawbar Organ (powered by Kore) 2010/05/16 05:23:18 (permalink)
    You are correct, it looks like I missed something in Dim Pro and I may have been doing it an injustice.  The following for the Cakewalk site. Note they are refering to this a VB3 as well, just to confuse matters.

The Virtual B3
    --------------
    Expansion Pack 1 features a new virtual emulation of the legendary Hammond B3(TM) organ. Each component of the original organ, including all drawbar levels, percussion level, keyclick, the rotary speaker, drive and cabinet simulator were precisely crafted to recreate all characteristics of this monster legend.

The Virtual B3 is packed in a sfz definition file, in the 'Virtual B3' folder.
    Note that the three EQ on/off buttons of the element where the Virtual B3 is inserted must remain off, otherwise the EQ controls will adjust the drawbars level and the EQ parameters simultaneously. To EQ the organ sound, just chain the element and apply EQ in the client element.
    Most VB3 factory patches are composed of three chained elements:

I will look into this, do a comparison and post my finding here, but it won't be for a few days. It was the tone wheel sets that put B4 II ahead of GSi's VB3. It will be interesting to see what version 2 of VB3 is going to be like. The buzz on the NI forum was it would be 64 bit native and have a completly new and improved engine.

Back to '57 Organ. if you want a taste you can download the free "Holiday Selection" pack for Kore player. one of the "instruments" is included.
    post edited by Glyn Barnes - 2010/05/16 05:26:30

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Legion
    Re:Dimension Pro virtual B3 vs 57 Drawbar Organ (powered by Kore) 2010/05/16 06:27:09 (permalink)
    Thanks that would be very nice of you to make a comparison. Here's a keymap to the virtual B3 in Dim Pro: http://sonar.sonarama.com...=Virtual_B3_Parameters

Well I'll be damned if I didn't already have the Holliday Collection (together with the Kore Player). Will check it out. I also listened to the sound examples on NI's flashed out website and liked what I heard but think I would be able to come pretty close with the Dim Pro patches, the 57 seemed to have a hint more of dirt and grit to it which I liked though. I also like the C3 patches in Kontakt 4 which I believe are based on the same original organ but it'd be nice to be able to tweak the drawbars etc from Kontakt.

Glyn Barnes
    Re:Dimension Pro virtual B3 vs 57 Drawbar Organ (powered by Kore) 2010/05/16 07:11:03 (permalink)
    Legion

Here's a keymap to the virtual B3 in Dim Pro: http://sonar.sonarama.com/index.php?title=Virtual_B3_Parameters
    And I thought the Kore Interface was a bit of a Kluge - Looks intresting though, most of the key elements can be controled.

Legion
    Re:Dimension Pro virtual B3 vs 57 Drawbar Organ (powered by Kore) 2010/05/16 10:26:56 (permalink)
    Ha ha, maybe one could re-skin it for use as a B3... Well, at least all controls are on the same page

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Dimension Pro virtual B3 vs 57 Drawbar Organ (powered by Kore) 2010/05/16 14:00:18 (permalink)
    Hey guys - Legion mentioned above that the DimPro virtual B3 is from an expansion pack, correct?  Which expansion pack is it in?  I don't seem to have it and I'd like to try it out.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Ham N Egz
    • Total Posts : 15161
    Re:Dimension Pro virtual B3 vs 57 Drawbar Organ (powered by Kore) 2010/05/16 14:24:05 (permalink)
    Beagle

Hey guys - Legion mentioned above that the DimPro virtual B3 is from an expansion pack, correct?  Which expansion pack is it in?  I don't seem to have it and I'd like to try it out.

Ask and you shall receive  http://www.cakewalk.com/p...s/DimensionPro/XP1.asp

Green Acres is the place to be
     I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Dimension Pro virtual B3 vs 57 Drawbar Organ (powered by Kore) 2010/05/16 14:44:48 (permalink)
    thanks man!  installing now.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Bonzos Ghost
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    Re:Dimension Pro virtual B3 vs 57 Drawbar Organ (powered by Kore) 2010/05/17 14:11:00 (permalink)
    Legion

Well, off course the 57 is a C3 and the one in Dim Pro's expansion a B3

Just some organ trivia ..... a B3 and a C3 are identical - the one difference is the cabinet. The B3 has the "square box on four legs" style of cabinet, whereas the C3 is a more traditional cabinet which goes right to the floor. (IE: Keith Emerson, Jon Lord, etc) C3's are a little heavier as a result and more awkward to move.
    Legion
    Re:Dimension Pro virtual B3 vs 57 Drawbar Organ (powered by Kore) 2010/05/18 13:06:31 (permalink)
    Bonzos Ghost: Cool, I did not know that. So sampled DI without the cab would make them both sort of an X3 then and what you would call it would depend on the leslie emulation/impulse you then ran the sample through

Glyn Barnes
    Re:Dimension Pro virtual B3 vs 57 Drawbar Organ (powered by Kore) 2010/05/19 12:00:22 (permalink)
    Bonzos Ghost

Just some organ trivia ..... a B3 and a C3 are identical - the one difference is the cabinet. The B3 has the "square box on four legs" style of cabinet, whereas the C3 is a more traditional cabinet which goes right to the floor. (IE: Keith Emerson, Jon Lord, etc) C3's are a little heavier as a result and more awkward to move.

The C3 was designed for church use and the cabinet was designed to hide a lady organists legs and preserve her modesty. It ended up being used on some of the devil's best music.
    post edited by Glyn Barnes - 2010/05/19 12:15:16

Glyn Barnes
    Re:Dimension Pro virtual B3 vs 57 Drawbar Organ (powered by Kore) 2010/05/19 12:14:14 (permalink)
    But back to the original question.

I have had Dimension Pro's Virtual B3 and NI '57 Organ "side by side". The DIM pro organ is not bad and certainly very useful, but I think '57 organ has the edge. There is a colder, digital feel to the Dim Pro sounds, but in my opinion neither are as good as B4 II or VB3.

The Dim Pro Virtual B3 falls down in the amp and rotary speaker department. Like '57 organ it really benefits by being put through B4 II (inserted as an effect).

I got some very useful sounds out of Dim Pro by setting the rotary speaker depths to zero and routing through GSi's Mr Donald rotary speaker simulator. I also played around with some of the ACME Bargig preamps, putting them between dim pro and Mr Donald. Tamla Head seemed to produce the best results and I was able to get some good Jon Lord type sounds going.

The Dim Pro interface puts you off a bit, but if you were using, say a A-Pro keyboard with nine sliders to control the draw bars it woukd be a lot better.
    post edited by Glyn Barnes - 2010/05/19 12:18:01

Legion
    Re:Dimension Pro virtual B3 vs 57 Drawbar Organ (powered by Kore) 2010/05/19 12:55:42 (permalink)
    Thanks a lot for the comparison. I think the Dim Pro version feel a little colder than the sounds in Kontakt and the 57-demos on NI's website as well. I like dirt (well in music at least, nowadays I'm old enough to have others do the dirt for me so I don't have to ). I've gotten some pretty good sounds out of Dim Pro B3 by giving it a little distorion drive by the Dim Pro distortion 1 FX (haven't really figured out what would be a truthful amp emulation) and then routing it through Amplitube 3's rotary speaker but there's something with what I've heard frim NI's sounds that just seemed a little more down to earth and it feels like you pointed out the same thing in your comparison. Again, thanks! Now I'll just wait and see if somebody wants to give me the money for it ha ha ha.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1