Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
sven450
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 945
RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/18 11:38:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: doncolga

When I look at my stuff compared to a commercial mix through the Ozone analyzer, I can get my tone to match pretty close and my graph follows the basic slope. The difference is that, even following the basic shape, my peaks and dips are longer than on the commercial mix. It's like the commercial mix has "short teeth", and my mix has "long teeth"...if that makes any sense. Would that be a compression issue?

Harbal is great for the "teeth" thing. I also had this issue, and due to the ease of use and pretty much infinite amount of nodes you can create in Harbal, you can just grab the bottom (or point) of one of those teeth and make it much smaller. I did this to a small extent on a few songs to avoid over-compressing and it really seemed to even out the sound nicely

Sonar Platinum/Bandlab Sonar
Roland Octa-Capture            
Win 10 
i7 6700  16 Gig Ram
Some songs
Covers:  https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/covers
Originals:
 https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/originals
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/18 12:32:05 (permalink)
the commercial mix has "short teeth", and my mix has "long teeth"

That may be more an indication of your instrumentation than overall EQ. But yes, compression will tend to smooth those "teeth" somewhat. But more likely it'll be track compression rather than bus compression that does the best job.

As sven450 notes, Har-Bal lets you get really surgical. Downright microscopic. But I'd temper that point with two observations.

First, a narrow peak is likely the result of a single instrument, and it's always better to go back into the mix and try to identify which instrument it is and either EQ just that track or lower its volume.

Second, those "teeth" you see in Har-Bal are usually more dramatic visually than they are aurally. Look at the left side of my screen shot in the original post and note the scale. Those horizontal grid lines are a mere 1db apart. The biggest peak in that picture is less than half a db above the average. If you can hear that at all, it's going to be quite subtle.

Generally speaking, for a given band of frequencies to be noticeably hotter than the overall mix, it needs to be at least 3db above the average. That's a broad statement, of course, and it depends greatly on where in the spectrum the peak lies. A 3db peak at 3KHz is much more noticeable than a 3db peak at 10KHz. My point is that those "teeth" may not be as significant as they appear in the graph.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/18 13:02:30 (permalink)
A great OP Bit! A fun read and lots to think about.

best regards,
mike

SvenArne
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2719
RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/18 16:05:32 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bitflipper

I was wondering: Is it possible the reason that the Chicks' album is percieved as brighter because the high-end is more compressed than the mid band(s)?

That's a very logical observation, Sven. I think you're onto something.

Country music in general uses less overall compression than other popular genres, but the vocal tracks are still often highly compressed, perhaps because the vocals are so out front. In particular, listen to the tight three-part harmonies the Chicks are known for. They are so smooth and uniform they could be a chord played on a synth pad.

However, if compressed vocals were the whole explanation, the spectral graph would reflect more high-frequency content as a result. It would appear that the engineers carefully carved an EQ hole for those vocals, narrowing the spectrum for other instruments to make room for the vox. That would explain why the track sounds bright and vocals are very present while the overall spectrum still follows a Pink Floyd curve. Since we naturally zero in on the vocal track, the overall perception is a bright mix.

I was thinking more in the way of a multiband compressor being used at the mastering stage. It's common to compress the high end more than the mids. That way I figured that the extra 'sustain' of the top end would give the impression that the mix is brighter but while the softer transients attenuates the overall high freq energy!

Sven
post edited by SvenArne - 2008/11/18 16:08:35

bitflipper
RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/18 21:27:05 (permalink)
In this case you have three strong female voices. That's going to dominate the top end, even if you don't EQ instruments to accommodate them - which they probably did. I'm suggesting that much of that subjective brightness is from the vocals. When you listen to backing instruments during the vocals they don't sound particularly trebly.

But you may be right about the multiband compression. I wonder how common multiband compression is in the Country genre. Perhaps someone has some insight on that.

My Stuff
SvenArne
RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/19 06:38:45 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bitflipper

I wonder how common multiband compression is in the Country genre. Perhaps someone has some insight on that.

Perhaps Ryan Adams doesn't do it, but the Dixie Chicks? Yeah, I think their commercial sound requires it.

From the Ozone Mastering Guide:

"Multiband Dynamics"
"Mastering the dynamics of a mix using compressors, limiters, expanders and gates is probably the most challenging step of the process, but the one that can make the most difference between a “basement tape” and a commercial sounding mix. Taking the time to master (no pun intended) multiband dynamics can be well worth the effort."

Three times have I been in a pro mastering studio including one session with a country record, and every time the ME has been working a multiband compressor to great effect, especially with the low and high frequencies.

Sven
post edited by SvenArne - 2008/11/19 06:43:26

droddey
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5147
RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/19 14:45:50 (permalink)
The ME has to work with a multi-band compressor because he doesn't have access to anything but the final two track mix. So there's no other real option. I doubt he'd use it if he had access to individual stems or tracks as the mixer does. It's more a necessary evil I think, than an enthusiastic choice.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com
SvenArne
RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/19 17:14:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: droddey

The ME has to work with a multi-band compressor because he doesn't have access to anything but the final two track mix. So there's no other real option. I doubt he'd use it if he had access to individual stems or tracks as the mixer does. It's more a necessary evil I think, than an enthusiastic choice.

I've heard you (and Dave) take this position before. I know little of your professional experiences (though I definitely appreciate your vast technical knowledge), but ME's I've been talking to seem to disagree. The multiband (often a superexpensive tube unit) lies at the heart of the mastering studio. And the way I read it, my postition on the matter is backed up by the Ozone guide.

Sven

Dave King
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2862
RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/19 17:50:15 (permalink)
It's like the commercial mix has "short teeth", and my mix has "long teeth"...if that makes any sense. Would that be a compression issue?

The "tooth" size changes dramatically in Har-Bal depending on what resolution you are viewing at.

Does anyone know if there is a "standard" resolution for this?

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

plectrumpusher
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 479
RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/19 18:41:45 (permalink)
There is a tuitorial in the help file in the latest HB that's called "sympathetic eq" that basically says you pretty much want the troughs and peaks ("teeth") to stay were they are( in relation to each adjacent to the other, in the same proportion ), and , you only want to boost a through or , even less desireable, cut a peak when bringing a large section of frequencies into a smoothed version of the overall spectrum shape . ( ya , clear as mudd , I know; but it's quite fuzzy stuff to put into words !) go read the tuitorial !!.

Since you guys are pretty studious about this subject, here is a very interesting exception to the "3 or 6 db slope rule " that most commercial release follow .
If you ever get the chance, get a song called "Grass " buy XTC. It is on one of their albums that was produced by Todd Rundgren............It is flat , horizontal all the way across the spectrum !!!!!! It has the most jangly , stereo strummed guitars you'll ever hear . It does'nt hurt my ears , but the picture on the anaylizer sure looks like it ought too !!!!

Mixing and mastering are just two wholly independant activities, So much depends on instrumentation , they harmonic structure of an instrument , how it resonates and where it resonates , Plus how the mic "hears" and how the analog side distorts it ( even or odd harmonics or both !) then the digital alias's it !!.

Bob Katz said " A great master starts with a great mix ". He did not say " A great master starts buy making a mix , anaylizing the **** out of every cintiila of the spectral curve , trying to bend it to a percieved ideal derived from another source , then giving an M.E. a shot at it "

If you haven't got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart.......Then you are just an old sour fart!!
plectrumpusher
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 479
RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/19 18:48:39 (permalink)
Also an adendum;

I think harbal is a great product , however it is to bad they gave into the pressure to add the Curve Matching feature ( ironic because thats what all the naysayers blasted them for when it did'nt have it back then !!) It's a nice mastering eq with volume matching. But It is very much dependant on the nut operating it , so it's not any kind of automatic proposal at all , you get out of it what you put into it.

If you haven't got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart.......Then you are just an old sour fart!!
droddey
  • Total Posts : 5147
RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/19 18:49:59 (permalink)
I've heard you (and Dave) take this position before. I know little of your professional experiences (though I definitely appreciate your vast technical knowledge), but ME's I've been talking to seem to disagree. The multiband (often a superexpensive tube unit) lies at the heart of the mastering studio. And the way I read it, my postition on the matter is backed up by the Ozone guide.

But the reason is that it's the only tool they have available to them, becuase they don't have the individual bits of the mix. They can't compress indivdiual tracks/stems, so they have to break the stereo mix into frequencies and compress those separately. So it inherently is required to do what they do, given that they only have access to the stereo mix. But if they had access to the individual tracks, mostly they wouldn't use a multiband because then it wouldn't be the appropriate tool for the job. If the had only access to sub-mixes/stems, they might still use it because again they can only work against a set of tracks at once.

So it's not that I'm saying that they wouldn't use a multi-band compressor. They would, because it's really the only compression tool that they can use, given the material they work with. But it's only because of the material that they work with that they use the multi-band compressor, not because it's better than a single band. In a mix, where you have access to all of the tracks, single band compressors, maybe with a sideband sometimes, would be used far more often because it's a better tool for that job, lower overhead, less possibility for artifacts, etc...

So if you are doing the mix yourself, it's better to get the mix right. Optimally, you shouldn't require something like Ozone, which is a mastering tool and does what it does for the same reasons as described above. You should get the mix sounding the way it should. Optimally, all you'd do for 'mastering' is the maximizer to bring it up to level, because the mix already sounds right.
post edited by droddey - 2008/11/19 18:54:50

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com
dlogan
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2544
Re: RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2009/10/22 09:39:46 (permalink)
I was refreshing my brain with some mastering tips and remembered this post - I thought it was worthy of a bump.  (Bit, when are you writing that book??? )
bitflipper
Re: RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2009/10/22 16:33:00 (permalink)
I'd almost forgotten about this one. Thanks for reviving it, Dave.

Since this thread, I've continued with ongoing analyses of various reference recordings spanning 30 years and many genres. It would at least make for a colorful book. I wonder if I have to get permission from the copyright holders to show a picture of their spectral content?

My Stuff
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re: RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2009/10/22 20:01:49 (permalink)
Fair use!!!

guitartrek
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2842
Re: RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2009/10/22 23:49:30 (permalink)
Dave - It is interesting that the Dixie Chicks have more low end.  I've used Dream Theater in my Ozone presets also as a reference.  Another band I like to compare is Toto - they've always had great recordings.  I noticed what seems to be a trick that they use (on their more recent CD's) to get the bass and the kick to play well together.  Simon's kick peaks lower than normal - around 45hz(although I've seen this with some Nickleback recordings too).   This seems to allow more space for the bass, and the result is a frequency curve more like the Dixie Chicks (I haven't heard the Dixie Chicks song you reference, so I'm not sure if they are doing the same thing)  As much as I love Dream Theater, the bass isn't as well defined (to me) as the bass on Toto's recordings.  I wonder if the Dixie Chicks are using this same approach? 
hairyjamie
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 947
Re: RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2009/10/23 07:42:45 (permalink)
guitartrek

Another band I like to compare is Toto - they've always had great recordings. 

Firstly, +1 on the use of Toto as a reference. I've always admired the clean sounding and well defined mixes of their albums.

Secondly, fantastic thread - nice one Bitflipper! If I could buy a nice big colourful coffee table book of frequency comparisons I would be over the moon

post edited by hairyjamie - 2009/10/23 07:44:17
DigiBiu
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1053
Re: RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2009/10/23 08:29:35 (permalink)
don't know about being a good reference CD, but the new Joss Stone album, Colour Me Free is a very sweet sounding CD.  Man, you'd think it was done in the 50's, 60's as warm sounding as this thing is.  I heard it playing at the record shop and had to ask what it was.  Not usually my cup of tea, but I love this albums analog warmth.  You can even hear the tape hiss on a couple of tracks.

http://digitalbayoustudios.com/
https://soundcloud.com/digibiu
David Stuckey
Sonar X3 Producer ,Windows 7 64bit ,6G Ram, Quad Core 2.6,3 1 UAD 2 card, 4 UAD-1 Cards, 2 Dell 24" LCD, ADAM ANF10, Avantones, Crown Power Amp, Great River ME-1, UA Solo/610, Distressor,Presonus ADL600,, RNC, RNLA, 2 PBC-6a, JoeMeek MC2, ART Pro Channel, Yamaha MO8,Korg Triton,M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, Custom Shop Fender Twin, 76 Randall Tube Amp, Custom Blue Runner Tube Amp,
Lynx Aurora 8 FW
Apogee AD8000 SE
MixedLogic M24 Control Surface
Yamaha Pro Mix 01
Jeff Evans
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2009/10/23 09:31:00 (permalink)
I wonder how much your mastering is going to improve once you have that great big book of colourful photos of frequency responses. Not one little bit I think. Dave you might be getting a bit too technical in an area that is very musical and just requires lots and lots of practice (and your ears remember not your eyes) and there is no other way to learn the skill. You can derive these graphs and even apply them to other mixes but is that the way to do it? Maybe some of you are just looking for shortcuts instead of the long hard process of just mastering and more mastering and using only your ears to do it! And really learning how to use those processors such as EQ, compression and limiting.

We need to think about Bob Katz again. He basically says that every, and I mean every single mastering (and mix) project is unique and you really cannot apply something from one to the other. That is why presets in mastering plugins are obsurd! You really need to set every stage carefully and manually. One important thing is the top end roll off characteristic and your ears can tell you that too.

By the way, using reference CD's is great for people who dont do heaps of mastering and also it overcomes the shortcomings in your monitor system to a certain extent. But you must use a reference that is similar to the music you are mastering. Toto is really only good for Toto music. Not a quiet Irish folk music CD. The idea is to get so good you dont need any reference CD at all.

And think of Bob again. Do you think he uses a reference CD when he masters. Not on your life. Do you think he has a book of frequency curves in front of him. Not on your life.

Look the frequency curve research is interesting and I have done it all myself and been there, but in reality when I am mastering someone's CD, I just dont think of it at all. I spend most of the time just listening and adjusting things until they just sound great and that is it.

Actually Dave you have got me hooked in now! Just looking at those curves and the fact they are both quite similar suggests to me that any good mix will follow a certain shape. But isn't it interesting that even though you can have two curves that are very similar they can sound different and that is what I was trying to say above really and why you cant read too much into it or rely on it too much.
post edited by Jeff Evans - 2009/10/23 23:27:25

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
mlockett
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2099
Re: RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2009/10/23 12:51:10 (permalink)
IMO, often something sounds good only till you hear something that sounds better. So a person should mix with their ears, but also experiment, because maybe it sounds good only because you don't know how much better it could sound.

These graphs don't replace ears, and clearly Dave isn't suggesting that at all; they might give good suggestions of how one might experiment.
bitflipper
Re: RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2009/10/24 00:37:29 (permalink)
Jeff, the purpose of the thread was not to say "make your song look like THIS and it will sound like a hit record". If only it were that easy!

As for putting too much stock in what you see over what you hear, I concur and addressed that in another post, using the example of the center channel for dialog in a movie theater. You see two actors speaking from opposite sides of the screen, and your brain makes you think the dialog is coming from opposite sides of the screen -- even though both actors' voices are actually emanating from the center channel speaker. Your eyes will actually override your ears and color what you hear!

This is why I always suggest closing your eyes while EQing, precisely to avoid that phenomenon. I'll use the display to zero in on a particular frequency, then make a point to avoid looking at it while I adjust the cut/boost/Q.

However, it is remarkable how a wide sampling of musical styles conforms to a general spectral shape. It's not anything Bob Katz or anybody else came up with, it's based on the physical characteristics of our ears, in particular the cochlea. A fascinating field of study that I highly recommend for all because it explains WHY we like some kinds of distortion and not others, WHY adjacent frequencies mask one another, and WHY micro- and macro-dynamics work the way they do.

The classical orchestra follows the same general spectral shape as the Dixie Chicks. Obviously, those guys who originally established the classic setup and instrumentation didn't have spectral analyzers, just ears. But the curve they established by balancing and arranging instruments on the stage is amazingly similar to that of a well-made Country, Rock, Metal or Reggae tune. (At least up until recent years, when MP3 lowered the expectations of listeners, but that's another rant.)

My Stuff
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
Re: RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2009/10/24 01:44:25 (permalink)
(Excellent thread)

I worry when my mix (or anyone elses) doesn't follow the white line or pink line from 1kHz to 10kHz.  Like your example ... my bass-line also gets several decibels from about 50hz to 125hz.

Methinks that most 70's mixes naturally follow the white/pink trend ... regardless of how they've been mastered.  I'll let Jimmy and Jeff explain the logic.

But I still like to heavily compress and LPF the bass-line and expand the kick before the master (buss).  Its as if I only master the high end ... except during ozone maximizer ... which I desperately try to keep under 2 dcbs and transparent.

(Of course, I'm bad with hip-hop genres)

My fundamental boomy freqs always distort each other in my crowded mixes ... so I anticipate their additive interferences before the master (with EQ, panning, and volumes)

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
Dave King
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2862
Re: RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2009/10/24 11:22:10 (permalink)
white line or pink line from 1kHz to 10kHz

What are these lines you are refering to?  Is this in Ozone or something?

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

bitflipper
Re: RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2009/10/24 12:28:38 (permalink)
Most spectral displays offer the ability to show a reference curve, either captured from another song or a standard slope. Ozone has -3db/octave and -6db/octave reference curves built in that you can display under your song's curve. These references are flat up to 1KHz, then drop at either 3db or 6db per octave from 1Khz on up. Ozone's -6db/octave reference is what's shown in the first post of this thread (the white line).

Most pre-1980's music follows that curve. Later music tends to be more of a steady slope from about 60Hz on up, as indicated by the purple reference in that picture. That shift in low-frequency emphasis coincides with the advent of CDs, which aren't subject to the bass limitations of vinyl. With vinyl you had to compress bass more to keep the record from skipping.

My Stuff
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1