Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
2008/11/16 14:08:35 (permalink)

Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd

I have long used reference EQ graphs from favorite commercial recordings as guides for my own mixes.

The one I've used longest is taken from Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, because it's one of my all-time favorite records and is musically compatible with my own style and instrumentation. However, DSoM seems darker than most modern recordings, and I began to wonder if I was being influenced by 1970's analog tape limitations.

There are a few websites that list recommended reference CDs, but very few of the recordings listed were in my own collection. So picked a title that was consistently included on these lists, Wide Open Spaces by the Dixie Chicks.

This is not a genre that I usually listen to and certainly far removed from any of my other references, such as Dream Theater or DSoM. But I was curious to see how it would compare when analyzed. I suspected that a well-EQ'd country recording would not be radically different from a good classic rock recording, but I was surprised at how close they were.

Here's a screenshot from Ozone's parametric equalizer, with two references displayed. The purple one is Dream Theater, the blue one is Dixie Chicks. The white line is a generic -6db/octave reference.

They are quite similar, except for one surprise: the Dixie Chicks have more bottom than Dream Theater.

Then I loaded up the Chicks in Har-Bal with the Pink Floyd reference, as shown below. The bright green line is Dixie Chicks, the lighter green line is Floyd.

Overall, there is only about a 1/4 db difference between the two! Except, again, the extended low end. (The peak at 800Hz is the lead vocal)

Curiously, the Dixie Chicks recording sounds subjectively brighter, even though the high end rolloff is nearly identical to the Floyd reference. Of course, there is a difference in instrumentation - lots of acoustic instruments on one, highly effected guitars on the other - and in the lead vocals, female versus male. But spectrally-speaking, the high end is very similar between the two.

Next, I compared amplitude analysis using Adobe Audition. In my own mixes, I shoot for an average RMS of about -11db to -12db. I've found that it's when I hit that mark that I get the best compromise between loudness, clarity and dynamic subtlety.

The Dixe Chicks hit -11.5db average RMS. Dream Theater, with their broad range of styles, aren't as consistent from song to song but tend to be quite a bit hotter, around -8db average RMS. Pink Floyd comes in about -12db.

While in Audition, I compared the Floyd and Chicks spectra. Again, there is a remarkable similarity between the two. In both cases, there is a slight prominence around 1.5KHz.

One of the measurements I look at is the db difference between the highest bass peak and at 10KHz. Above 10KHz there is a lot of variation in commercial recordings, but between about 100Hz and 10KHz is where they are most consistent.

Here are the db differences from 100Hz to 10KHz:
Floyd: 28db
Dream: 31db
Chicks: 27db

The larger difference between Dream Theater and the others is partially because theirs is a bit smoother on the bottom end, without the typical bump around 100Hz.

But Pink Floyd and the Dixie Chicks are nearly identical.

Now, I don't want to read too much into any of this. It's just interesting how much technical commonality there is between well-mastered recordings from different genres and eras.
post edited by bitflipper - 2008/11/16 14:16:02

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff

53 Replies Related Threads

droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/16 14:32:11 (permalink)
    There was some discussion of The Queens of the Stone Age on Gearslutz and their sound, which is pretty unusual for a modern rock album because it's actually quite restrained in the high end, but sounds great. And it would probably only sound quite restrained on the high end next to something that isn't, i.e. most anything else made these days. It doesn't sound dull, and you can crank it up quite nicely without it becoming annoying. I'm definitely leaning more and more towards these types of mixes, damn all fashion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnyRUzgqj7k

And Dave Grohl's drumming is stupendous as well.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Dave King
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2862
    RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/16 14:58:34 (permalink)
    Very interesting stuff!

I wonder what other people's favorite songs/recordings are for comparative analysis. I recently used John Mayer's "Waiting on the World" as a reference for a mix I was working on using Har-Bal and found it be very helpful. The songs were similar in style.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
    Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/16 14:59:29 (permalink)
    Makes perfect sense that they would be similar in broad band content as both genres use a full spectrum instrumentation. Nice work on the graphs and comparisons !. As much as I grew up on original progressive and classical rock... it sure is easier to listen to Dixie Chicks as a reference, I think my age is starting to show.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    Clydewinder
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/16 15:50:37 (permalink)
    i think the dixie chicks album is misleading to listen to critically because the vocals are on the edge of harshness all the time. dark side vocals are so loose, deep, and dark sounding in comparison.

The Poodle Chews It.

pistolpete
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1584
    RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/16 15:59:21 (permalink)
    I thought bitflipper's post and website link were quite interesting. I have a question for bitflipper in that how do these reference graphs differ from other CDs that you may have? Or is it that the nature of the ozone graphs is to make everything like identical.
    Dave King
    RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/16 17:32:23 (permalink)
    i think the dixie chicks album is misleading to listen to critically because the vocals are on the edge of harshness all the time.

I agree with this based on their "Taking The Long Way Home" CD, but I do not have the one bitflipper used in his comparison. "Long Way" hurts my ears to a degree due to the harshness of the high freqs - or maybe like you, it's my age!

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/16 17:55:06 (permalink)
    Dave, don't be overly surprised in the sense of you'll probably find whoever mastered it is a fan of Floyd. Look at in the sense of ok.. they master albums or they make music... some of my friends have done work on things and have remained in the background and largely uncredited for their work. Why because of credibility and the fact it pays the rent / bills. Maybe it's not something they wanna do , but it's a means to an end. Even UK bands e.g. the darkness, did advert music (for Ikea) to pay for studio time for their own work.

another one that comes to mind, is true steppers and victoria beckham... you could tell who was behind that did know the genre of music. One of the people in true steppers behind that Jonny L has did a scorching classic "hurt you so" which for me is credible and of course uses a 303 . that was seen as a tune coming from the underground and not the mainstream.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WppBZkp7WUM

now I wanna see all them glo sticks at the ready.haha

and who says music is solely about music.. alas not... or rarely.

post edited by Fog - 2008/11/16 17:57:25
    Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/16 17:59:18 (permalink)
    the Dixie Chicks have more bottom than Dream Theater.
    I think it's the little chubby lead singer that throws them over the edge.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    droddey
    RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/16 17:59:44 (permalink)
    I thought bitflipper's post and website link were quite interesting. I have a question for bitflipper in that how do these reference graphs differ from other CDs that you may have? Or is it that the nature of the ozone graphs is to make everything like identical.

They can be quite different sometimes, but the '3dB down' and '6dB Down' curves are well known and lots of albums follow them fairly closely. Anyone can check them for themselves. Just import any commercial CD tracks and put a frequency analyzer on the track. There are various free ones.

You do have to be careful to analyze a representative part of the song. The whole song can be fairly rolled off in the high ends but have one big cymbal splash somewhere that will be unrepresentative of the rest of the song and make the spectrum have more high end than the overall song does.

As he mentions, it's not just how much high end it has in the absolute sense. It's also how it's balanced out by low end. If there's less low end to balance it, it'll sound apparently brighter though the graph of the high end response doesn't look a lot different. Something like Blues Traveler's Four or the Collective Soul album, which don't have a lot of low end, sound pretty bright, though they might not deviate from the 3 dB Down type curve a whole lot. Something like Natalie Merchant's Tiger Lily has a nice rounded full low end so it doesn't sound very bright at all, but still has plenty of air to it, though it's not particularly rolled off on the highs.

A lot of it has to do with use of cymbals. A drummer that bangs the cymbals a lot will create a spectrum that has a lot more up above 10K, while those who don't will have an apaprently more rolled off spectrum, despite the fact that the other instruments aren't actually any more rolled off really. And that 3K to 6K area really contributes a lot to the harshness factor, so something can have a lot of airy upper end, but be restrained in that upper mids range and not sound harsh.

Anyway, there's a lot of ifs, ands, and buts about it to consider.
    post edited by droddey - 2008/11/16 18:01:20

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    bitflipper
    RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/16 23:38:54 (permalink)
    You do have to be careful to analyze a representative part of the song.

True. I forgot to mention that when I take a spectrum for a reference, I chop of the intro and fadeouts and average the main body of the song. Or, if it has an extended solo section like all-acoustic guitar or a long drum break, I leave those parts out of the analysis.

This is especially true for some of my favorite bands, who often start a song in one style and end it in another. Dream Theater does that a lot, with thick synth pads at the front, morphing into straight-ahead metal later on. Such songs do not make good references.

My Stuff
    Ron Vogel
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/17 00:50:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Dave King

Very interesting stuff!

I wonder what other people's favorite songs/recordings are for comparative analysis. I recently used John Mayer's "Waiting on the World" as a reference for a mix I was working on using Har-Bal and found it be very helpful. The songs were similar in style.

I'm a big fan of the Floyd recordings...you just don't see music made like that anymore in the mainstream. I think The underlying effort was to go for smooth, although the music sounds great, to me the mix needs a freshen someday.

I've personally favored a flavor of mix I haven't been able to acheive yet. Fountains of Wayne, Crowded house (Woodface), Semisonic. I like these bands, but I love the mix, arrangement, and recordings.

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
    Ron Vogel Soundclick page
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/17 04:33:59 (permalink)
    ...I think The underlying effort was to go for smooth, although the music sounds great, to me the mix needs a freshen someday...

In the DVD documentary about the making of the album, Roger Waters said that the the final mix (done by Chris Thomas) was much warmer or mellower sounding (I can't remember the exact words he used) than they had intended.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/17 05:47:37 (permalink)
    There's quite the upside down bell in the low frequency (40-60hz) range on the first graph. How do the recordings feature so much low end there and avoid being overly boomy? Or is that actually a fairly standard looking low end frequency graph? Is it the under 20hz frequencies that are more problematic as far as boominess goes? Obviously yes, but anyway the 40-60 just seems upish to me. I, of course, have very limited experience in this.
    TomN
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 87
    RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/17 12:33:20 (permalink)
    Can someone explain how to use one of these graphs and exactly what your guys are talking about?

I think I get it. Am I correct in saying you a looking at a graph of what frequencies are present and at what level at any given point in a song? Then comparing that graph to a slice or specific point on your own project? Or is it an average of the frequencies and their levels based on the whole song?

And where do you plug in this software to use it? Does it go in an effects bin on your master bus, or somewhere else.

Thanks
    bitflipper
    RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/17 14:48:06 (permalink)
    How do the recordings feature so much low end there and avoid being overly boomy?

That's a good question.

Many commercial recordings have a very steep rolloff between 20 and 30Hz. Having a lot of very low-end content can mess with playback systems.

It will also mess with your mastering limiter, which has no problem "hearing" those frequencies, even if you can't. When you have a big bump in the low end, that pretty much determines when a compressor's threshold is crossed unless you have a fancy compressor with a key filter. The result is you can never seem to get the compressor under control no matter how you tweak the threshold setting.

One basic secret to avoiding this problem while still keeping the bass up, and it's a very simple secret: lighten up on the compression. You not only get more pleasing dynamics overall, but you also have fewer problems with the compressor such as distortion, unexpected EQ changes and loss of transients.

One thing both Dixie Chicks and Pink Floyd have in common is that they are both conservatively compressed.

My Stuff
    droddey
    RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/17 15:03:03 (permalink)
    In the DVD documentary about the making of the album, Roger Waters said that the the final mix (done by Chris Thomas) was much warmer or mellower sounding (I can't remember the exact words he used) than they had intended.

Softer and homogenous were the terms he used. And of course Alan Parsons also says that Thomas used more compression than he would have done.

There's quite the upside down bell in the low frequency (40-60hz) range on the first graph. How do the recordings feature so much low end there and avoid being overly boomy?

It's not too uncommon to see that, though often it's pushed up further than that. It's not uncommon to see a lot of emphasis on the second and third octave with the first rolled off heavily. And sometimes boomy doesn't have anything to do with the amount of bass, but the amount of bass combined with the other instruments and how they interact with the bass, how the bass is played, and how compressed the bass is. If the bass guitar is the only thing down there, and everything else is high passed up pretty high, not uncommon, there can be quite substantial bass and it won't necessarily sound muddy or boomy.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    bitflipper
    RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/17 15:05:14 (permalink)
    Can someone explain how to use one of these graphs and exactly what your guys are talking about?

I think I get it. Am I correct in saying you a looking at a graph of what frequencies are present and at what level at any given point in a song? Then comparing that graph to a slice or specific point on your own project? Or is it an average of the frequencies and their levels based on the whole song?

And where do you plug in this software to use it? Does it go in an effects bin on your master bus, or somewhere else.

These graphs show average levels for each frequency, over the course of the song. You can sample a portion of a song, or you can sample an entire album. Either way, you get an average, which works best because you don't care about little anomalies such as a sudden piercing guitar solo. Or the alarm clocks going off in DSoM.

Many equalizer plugins offer a feature called "spectrum matching". With this, you take a sample from another recording that's close to yours, and the equalizer will automatically adjust itself to match the sample. It's a seductive promise, that you can easily EQ your stuff to match your favorite commercial recordings.

Unfortunately, the method doesn't actually work.

However, using the curve of a commercial sample as a visual reference can still be helpful and educational, even if copying it directly won't do much good.

I used two different products for the above screenshots. The first is Ozone, a plugin that's a collection of tools, usually used for mastering (so it typically goes in the effects bin on the master bus). One of its components is a parametric equalizer with a spectrum-matching feature. I don't actually use it for spectrum matching, but I always display the -6db/octave reference and often another reference from a commercial CD.

The other product is a standalone program called Har-Bal. It's also a parametric equalizer with spectrum-matching, but it's an equalizer on steroids. Instead of the usual 6 filter nodes, Har-Bal has up to 8,192 nodes, is phase-accurate and automatically compensates for volume changes due to equalization. It will even make EQ changes for you automatically if you want it to (not recommended, but great to experiment with for beginners). It's one seriously fancy EQ. And a great learning tool.

My Stuff
    doncolga
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1519
    RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/17 15:24:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bitflipper

I used two different products for the above screenshots. The first is Ozone, a plugin that's a collection of tools, usually used for mastering (so it typically goes in the effects bin on the master bus). One of its components is a parametric equalizer with a spectrum-matching feature. I don't actually use it for spectrum matching, but I always display the -6db/octave reference and often another reference from a commercial CD.

I do the same and it has helped me alot. I definitely feel that my mixes compare more favorably now. I'll look at some more when I get home this evening, but I know that Michael McDonald's remake of "Aint No Mountain High Enough" does not roll off much at all on the highs; it goes out pretty straight and does not slope much at all. I'm going to put some others on it this evening.

Using the spectrum analyzer really helped me alot though cause I would always wondered why my mixes were so dark, then the analyzer revealed that things were dropping off way too much in the highs. It's helped me set levels better and provided another means of feedback.

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/17 16:46:37 (permalink)
    Bitflipper (and anyone else...)

From a practical standpoint - after comparing a recording of yours to one of these as a "guide", where do you go from there? If your recording was sounding good to you before this comparison, and then you see that it's pretty similar to one of these reference recordings, I imagine you are basically using it as a visual confirmation that your ears are hearing it correctly and would probably keep your mixing/mastering, correct?

If there's a bigger difference, what do you do then? Do you try to more closely match it? Do that just signal to you that it warrants a closer listen to those frequencies where there are differences?

Also, you mentioned "One of the measurements I look at is the db difference between the highest bass peak and at 10KHz." Can you please explain why this is important?

Thanks!

Dave

www.soundclick.com/steakbone
    bitflipper
    RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/17 19:01:30 (permalink)
    From a practical standpoint - after comparing a recording of yours to one of these as a "guide", where do you go from there? If your recording was sounding good to you before this comparison, and then you see that it's pretty similar to one of these reference recordings, I imagine you are basically using it as a visual confirmation that your ears are hearing it correctly and would probably keep your mixing/mastering, correct?

If there's a bigger difference, what do you do then? Do you try to more closely match it? Do that just signal to you that it warrants a closer listen to those frequencies where there are differences?

Also, you mentioned "One of the measurements I look at is the db difference between the highest bass peak and at 10KHz." Can you please explain why this is important?

From a practical standpoint, it is rarely advantageous to try and duplicate someone else's spectral balance exactly. Even two songs with the same instrumentation are going to vary, and most of the time, EQing to some arbitrary standard just isn't going to work very well. The idea is to identify where you differ from the norm, and then determine by experimentation if that divergence is good or bad.

However, even if they're of limited value as literal templates, references do serve several practical purposes.

First, if you don't have an ideal listening environment (and who does?) it'll give you a visual check that may indicate when you're compensating for your room rather than your recording.

Second, it shows you the normal range of what's acceptable for different styles of commercial music. If you see that your curve is steeper in the high end dropoff than commercial references, then it's likely you're rolling off too much high end - perhaps because your monitors are overly bright. Conversely, if you see that your low end is hotter than most professionally-mastered CDs, maybe it's because you need a subwoofer to augment the low end of your monitors.

Although I don't advocate trying to precisely match EQs, that doesn't mean you can't try adjusting your EQ in the same general direction and auditioning the difference. Sometimes you'll be surprised to find that a half-db dip around 1.5KHz makes the whole thing sound better. You might not have thought to try that until you compared your mix against some high-quality recordings.

[I should insert another observation here: always try to fix EQ in the mix first, and only then resort to equalizing the master bus. EQ is all about balance, and that means the balance of instruments, their relative tones and their relative levels. It's actually possible to get a nice EQ without even having an equalizer across the mains! Not easy, but entirely possible.]

As for measuring specifically between 100Hz and 10KHz, it's because that's where most of the meat is, where the spectrum is most linear, and where commercial recordings tend to be most consistent.

What I'm looking at is the slope of the curve as it slants downward left to right. That slope largely determines the overall brightness or darkness of the song. A shallow slope will give you a bright-sounding pop mix; a steeper slope will be mellower.

There are two generic guideline slopes: -6db per octave and -3db per octave. The former is a more classical slope, and is actually based on the natural EQ slope of a classical orchestra. The latter is more for pop music that'll be played on cheap iPods and AM radios, accentuating the vocal above everything else. Your own music may work better with one or the other, or something in between.

That's not to say that the 100-10k region is the whole picture. Below 100 and over 10KHz are just as important. It's just that for comparison purposes, there is too much variance among commercial recordings at the extremes to draw much practical guidance from those regions.

My Stuff
    Dave King
    RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/17 20:19:26 (permalink)
    The result is you can never seem to get the compressor under control no matter how you tweak the threshold setting.

One basic secret to avoiding this problem while still keeping the bass up, and it's a very simple secret: lighten up on the compression.

...or how about using a multi-band compressor that is not looking at the lower freqs?

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Dave King
    RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/17 20:23:27 (permalink)
    It's one seriously fancy EQ. And a great learning tool.

Yes, I just bought Har-Bal recently and it is very cool. However, I wish it was a plug-in that could be placed on the Master Bus (as you do with Ozone).

I'm sure you're familiar with Voxengo SPAN. Is it possible somehow to plot an EQ curve in SPAN to be used as a reference?

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

bitflipper
    RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/17 20:53:56 (permalink)
    Is it possible somehow to plot an EQ curve in SPAN to be used as a reference?

Unfortunately, SPAN lacks the ability to save and restore snapshots.

(However, Voxengo's GlissEQ (which uses the same display as SPAN) has a somewhat unique capability, which is to superimpose the graph from another instance of GlissEQ. This allows you to easily compare one track to another within your project, usually not for matching purposes but for the opposite reason: to minimize overlap and thus carve out a unique spectral place in the mix for each track. GlissEQ also features dynamic equalization, in which it applies a more/less severe boost/attenuation based on how far out of whack a band is. It's my go-to track EQ plugin.)

Ozone isn't the only equalizer that can do EQ matching. Repli-Q is one. Frequalizer is another.

But nothing does it like Har-Bal. Yes, it would be cool if it were a plugin, and users have been begging them to implement one. But the fact is that the intense processing it does will restrict it to being an offline (as opposed to real-time) process, at least until CPUs get a whole lot faster.

I bought Har-Bal about two years ago, but it's been nearly that long since I actually used it to EQ a song. I use it for study and analysis, and as a sanity check after mixing. If I can make the song sound better in Har-Bal, I make note of what I changed and go back into SONAR and fix it there. So the way I use it, being a standalone application isn't really a limitation.

how about using a multi-band compressor that is not looking at the lower freqs?

I've actually done that with Ozone, by using just two bands of the multiband compressor and applying a higher threshold and lower compression ratio to the low band than the high. It actually worked, but it took a lot of tweaking and in the end it was just too much work to do on a regular basis. Ozone's limiter is just too darn convenient; I've not found anything that works better or is easier to use.

My Stuff
    Dave King
    RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/17 21:07:30 (permalink)
    Unfortunately, SPAN lacks the ability to save and restore snapshots.

Too bad. It would be really nice to have an "ideal" EQ curve (if there is such a thing) plotted in there to use as a reference throughout the mixing and mastering stages of a project.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

doncolga
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1519
    RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/17 22:52:53 (permalink)
    When I look at my stuff compared to a commercial mix through the Ozone analyzer, I can get my tone to match pretty close and my graph follows the basic slope. The difference is that, even following the basic shape, my peaks and dips are longer than on the commercial mix. It's like the commercial mix has "short teeth", and my mix has "long teeth"...if that makes any sense. Would that be a compression issue?

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes
    droddey
    RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/17 23:18:47 (permalink)
    Yeh, probably so. Most commercial stuff these days is compressed to death, so it won't have much dynamics. It's best to compare to soemething that also has the same type of dyanamics as you are shooting for, as well as the same spectral balance.

I guess one of the great joys of doing it for fun is that you can create music that has a lot of dynamics and if people don't like it, screw'em, they aren't paying you for it anyway. For that matter, they aren't paying the people making the hyper-compressed music all that much either.
    post edited by droddey - 2008/11/17 23:19:26

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    SvenArne
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2719
    RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/18 04:41:41 (permalink)
    Great thread!!

I was wondering: Is it possible the reason that the Chicks' album is percieved as brighter because the high-end is more compressed than the mid band(s)?

Sven
    post edited by SvenArne - 2008/11/18 04:42:11

bitflipper
    RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/18 10:54:29 (permalink)
    one of the great joys of doing it for fun is that you can create music that has a lot of dynamics and if people don't like it, screw'em, they aren't paying you for it anyway

My thoughts exactly, Dean. In fact, I'd rephrase your comment as "you can create music that has ___________ and if people don't like it, screw'em, they aren't paying you for it anyway." Fill in the blank any way you want: tubas, monkeys, political content, weird time signatures or nonsense lyrics.

Making music for fun is liberating. It surely beats singing for your mortgage payment, which I have done.

My Stuff
    bitflipper
    RE: Dixie Chicks vs. Dream Theater vs. Floyd 2008/11/18 11:03:29 (permalink)
    I was wondering: Is it possible the reason that the Chicks' album is percieved as brighter because the high-end is more compressed than the mid band(s)?

That's a very logical observation, Sven. I think you're onto something.

Country music in general uses less overall compression than other popular genres, but the vocal tracks are still often highly compressed, perhaps because the vocals are so out front. In particular, listen to the tight three-part harmonies the Chicks are known for. They are so smooth and uniform they could be a chord played on a synth pad.

However, if compressed vocals were the whole explanation, the spectral graph would reflect more high-frequency content as a result. It would appear that the engineers carefully carved an EQ hole for those vocals, narrowing the spectrum for other instruments to make room for the vox. That would explain why the track sounds bright and vocals are very present while the overall spectrum still follows a Pink Floyd curve. Since we naturally zero in on the vocal track, the overall perception is a bright mix.

My Stuff
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1