Helpful ReplyDo Your Record at Higher than 96 kHz and if so, Why?

Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Do Your Record at Higher than 96 kHz and if so, Why? 2014/12/03 15:36:32 (permalink)
The last time sampling rates were hashed out on here, I posted a little test I did with an instrument part exported at 48kHz and then again at 96. It was a patch from an AAS sound bank. Anyway, it really did sound inferior at 96. But I've also tried whacking some Reaktor synths up to 96 in the Reaktor settings and they sounded noticeably fuller and creamier. I've also had a Z3TA+2 patch sound worse on 2x over sampling. So I guess everything needs a case by case judgment.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
johnnyV
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2677
Re: Do Your Record at Higher than 96 kHz and if so, Why? 2014/12/03 19:14:27 (permalink)
So unless you are using plugins that have taken shortcuts and neglected to include oversampling in their code, then converting an entire audio session to a higher rate would make your mix take up more processing power without adding any sonic benefit.

That's from the link James posted #136. Very good read.  Just re conferming what I already understood about the topic.
And now I'll return to my work which has either been 44.1 or sometimes 48. I like 48 because my Sony DAT players used it and I still find those are the best masters I ever made.
There did seem to be an audible difference back then. But with my new equipment, I just can's hear it now. So I mostly work at 44.1 because it works best in my system and I personally have never seen the point of going way higher.  48 yes, 60 possibly, 88.2, Oh what  the heck,, but 96 and over ,,, nope) . After reading dozens of articles on the subject, including the one above I see why I have made my choice, and made it wisely to suit MY needs. 

I thought this little snippet from the article was worth a gander. 

192kHz digital music files offer no benefits. They’re not quite neutral either; practical fidelity is slightly worse. The ultrasonics are a liability during playback.
This runs counter to many initial intuitions regarding super-sonic sampling rates – my own included. But the evidence is there. Since analog circuits are almost never linear at super-high frequencies, they can and will introduce a special type of distortion called intermodulation distortion.
This means that two super-sonic frequencies that cannot be heard, say 22 kHz and 32 kHz, can create an intermodulation distortion down in the audible range, in this case at the “difference frequency” of 10kHz. This is a real danger whenever super-sonic frequencies are not filtered out.

post edited by johnnyV - 2014/12/03 19:20:40

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
 Scarlett 6i6
Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

KyRo
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 543
Re: Do Your Record at Higher than 96 kHz and if so, Why? 2014/12/03 20:12:25 (permalink)
drewfx1
It means that under at least some conditions Z3ta+ can generate frequencies > 24kHz (i.e. 48kHz/2), which causes aliasing (imaging) distortion because it is > 1/2 the sample rate. If you run the same code at 96kHz, only frequencies > 48kHz (= 1/2 * 96kHz) would cause this type of distortion.

My recollection is that Lavry was talking about non-oversampling converters being less accurate at higher clock rates (due to analog components accuracy in measuring declining at higher rates), and balancing this against the difficulty of creating steep purely analog filters. This is a converter design issue and the game changes when we are talking about oversampling converters. And once the signal is digital, the analog limitations are irrelevant.

Unfortunately it is more complicated than might be ideal, but it may help to divide things between the converters (ADC/DAC) and DSP processing.

For converters, higher sampling rate = higher frequencies can be present in the signal, and that's pretty much it. So there is no benefit to increasing the sampling rate > twice the highest frequency needed (plus an appropriate margin for error).

But any type of DSP that creates frequencies > 1/2 the sampling rate that the processing is done at will create (aliasing/imaging) distortion, so increasing the sampling rate can improve the quality. To complicate it more, note that this doesn't apply to every type of DSP, but only certain types. Ideally, the programmers would take care of this kind of thing behind the scenes (and often they do), but there are cases where they haven't.

Is there any way of comprehensively determining the highest frequencies that each of the programs included in Sonar can generate, so that we can see just how prevalent these circumstances are (at least within the Sonar package), and/or which of said programs oversample behind the scenes, and which (if any) do not?

Might the Bakers be able to assist here?...
ston
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 965
Re: Do Your Record at Higher than 96 kHz and if so, Why? 2014/12/04 06:21:09 (permalink)
johnnyV
This means that two super-sonic frequencies that cannot be heard, say 22 kHz and 32 kHz, can create an intermodulation distortion down in the audible range, in this case at the “difference frequency” of 10kHz. This is a real danger whenever super-sonic frequencies are not filtered out.

That's like a beat frequency issue isn't it?  The human ear can do similar things, even if each ear is hearing a different tone, so the beat is actually generated in the brain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_beats).

Humans even 'fill in' a missing fundamental frequency, e.g. if 2f, 3f, 4f...is presented to the ear, we'll perceive the pitch as f (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_fundamental).
post edited by ston - 2014/12/04 06:30:26
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Do Your Record at Higher than 96 kHz and if so, Why? 2014/12/04 09:39:50 (permalink)
sharke
The last time sampling rates were hashed out on here, I posted a little test I did with an instrument part exported at 48kHz and then again at 96. It was a patch from an AAS sound bank. Anyway, it really did sound inferior at 96. But I've also tried whacking some Reaktor synths up to 96 in the Reaktor settings and they sounded noticeably fuller and creamier. I've also had a Z3TA+2 patch sound worse on 2x over sampling. So I guess everything needs a case by case judgment.

I think it's important to differentiate between something sounding "worse" and "more accurate." When I posted the example of a non-oversampled z3ta+ 2 recorded at 96 kHz vs. 44.1 kHz, I noted that the one recorded at the lower sample rate was more musically useful because the one at the higher sample rate was excessively bright. However, the excessively bright one was a more accurate representation of the sound I had programmed.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Do Your Record at Higher than 96 kHz and if so, Why? 2014/12/04 18:14:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mettelus 2014/12/04 19:40:43
I used to record at the highest rate my soundcard would allow, but after the novelty of the bigger number  delusuon wore off, i record most things at 48khz and sometimes 44. Maybe if i did more actual paying work that required heavier processing I would go bigger, but I strain to find even a slight perceptual difference to justify the extra space those files take up.
Anderton
Re: Do Your Record at Higher than 96 kHz and if so, Why? 2014/12/04 21:49:19 (permalink)
dubdisciple
I used to record at the highest rate my soundcard would allow, but after the novelty of the bigger number  delusuon wore off, i record most things at 48khz and sometimes 44. Maybe if i did more actual paying work that required heavier processing I would go bigger, but I strain to find even a slight perceptual difference to justify the extra space those files take up.

Remember that you can record at 44.1 kHz, but transfer your synth and sim-related parts to 96 kHz, then render back down to 44.1 kHz and insert in your original project. Same taste, less filling 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
JohnDubats
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Do Your Record at Higher than 96 kHz and if so, Why? 2015/04/08 16:04:15 (permalink)
Many beat frequencies of inaudibly high frequencies are audible. If you are recording a live orchestra, you'll capture those beats, so you're OK. Many of us record instruments separately, and if we don't capture the inaudible frequencies, the audible beat frequencies are never generated; never heard.

I've never heard a recording of brushes on cymbals that sounds convincingly like live brushes on cymbals.

It probably doesn't matter, though. We've been conditioned to listening to music that has been mangled by mics, pre-amps, amps, speakers, and venues. We very seldom hear music right from the instruments that make it, and even those instruments are optimized to emit audible frequencies. It may be like even temperament. It's wrong, but we're used to it. I even LIKE it. It is very nice to hear a Barbershop quartet hit a natural scale dominant 7th, but I've come to rely on that slightly ooky feeling I get from an even tempered dominant 7th in my compositions.

To be responsive to the question, I use 96/24 for live vocal groups, horn groups, string groups and some synths; 48/24 for amped groups and single recordings that will be mixed to form the group. I may just go to default 96/24, since it doesn't seem to exact any great cost with my equipment and technique. I do remember the fiasco in which I climbed a large learning and equipment curve to go 7.1 192/32, only to find zero market for the product at my level. As has been said, if your audience is 128 mp3, just relax. ;)

I apologize for the use of the word "ooky" in this post...damn...twice now.
BobF
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: Do Your Record at Higher than 96 kHz and if so, Why? 2015/04/08 17:16:57 (permalink)
After reading these, I decided that for the money I'm willing to spend on converters, 48K is plenty good for me.  The first references the second.

http://www.trustmeimascientist.com/2013/02/04/the-science-of-sample-rates-when-higher-is-better-and-when-it-isnt/

http://lavryengineering.com/pdfs/lavry-sampling-theory.pdf

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re: Do Your Record at Higher than 96 kHz and if so, Why? 2015/04/08 17:23:08 (permalink)
JohnDubats
Many beat frequencies of inaudibly high frequencies are audible. If you are recording a live orchestra, you'll capture those beats, so you're OK. Many of us record instruments separately, and if we don't capture the inaudible frequencies, the audible beat frequencies are never generated; never heard.

This is commonly stated, but it's not true. 

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
Anderton
Re: Do Your Record at Higher than 96 kHz and if so, Why? 2015/04/09 10:01:11 (permalink)
BobF
After reading these, I decided that for the money I'm willing to spend on converters, 48K is plenty good for me.  The first references the second.

http://www.trustmeimascientist.com/2013/02/04/the-science-of-sample-rates-when-higher-is-better-and-when-it-isnt/

http://lavryengineering.com/pdfs/lavry-sampling-theory.pdf

Those references are great, thanks for that. I think the first one is one of the most balanced and rational discussions of the subject I've seen, although that just might be because I agree 

The only place I disagree a little bit is where he minimizes the number of plug-ins that don't have oversampling. That's true for newer plug-ins, but a lot of older ones (that are still compatible with our computers) don't have oversampling.

After reading these, I decided that for the money I'm willing to spend on converters, 48K is plenty good for me. 

Unless you do a ton of stuff in the box with non-oversampled plug-ins, I can pretty much guarantee you wouldn't hear any difference between recording at 48 and 96 kHz. And even if you do have to stick an older plug-in into your 48 kHz project, as detailed previously you can always record a track at a higher sample rate, export it, and bring it into your 48 kHz project yet still retain the benefits of the higher sample rate.

lfm
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2216
Re: Do Your Record at Higher than 96 kHz and if so, Why? 2015/04/09 14:32:53 (permalink)
Anderton

The only place I disagree a little bit is where he minimizes the number of plug-ins that don't have oversampling. That's true for newer plug-ins, but a lot of older ones (that are still compatible with our computers) don't have oversampling.

I haven't tried it - but DDMF Metaplugin have an oversampling thingy to activate for the loaded plugins it's hosting. Have no idea how that works, if it works....but Christian is doing many things right, so...

rabeach
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2703
Re: Do Your Record at Higher than 96 kHz and if so, Why? 2015/04/09 15:36:15 (permalink)
The Shannon-Nyquist sampling theorem, states that a perfectly bandlimited analog signal can be perfectly reconstructed from an infinite sequence of equally spaced uniform samples if the sampling rate exceeds twice the highest frequency of the original signal. Since neither of those entities exist in our reality e.g. a perfect band limited filter or an infinite sequence of equally spaced uniform samples, using the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem to justify not using higher sampling frequencies is a bit unreasonable. Empirical data collected on devices being sold today would constitute a reasonable argument. imho
BobF
Re: Do Your Record at Higher than 96 kHz and if so, Why? 2015/04/09 15:40:13 (permalink)
In reading both of the above, I did NOT get that justification out of them.

Bob  --
--

Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Do Your Record at Higher than 96 kHz and if so, Why? 2015/04/09 15:56:56 (permalink)
Anderton
This is true with audio, too. I was mixing a song once where the lead guitarist insisted on the guitar being louder. It was plenty loud, but you know how guitarists are   I realize the customer is always right, but I really didn't want to ruin the mix. So I put tape on an adjacent mixer channel that wasn't connected to anything and wrote "guitar" on it. When he asked for more level, I'd turn up the fader very slowly. "Is this loud enough?" "No, louder!" So I'd "turn up" the bogus fader some more. Eventually, he'd say "YES! Now you have it! See how much better it sounds now?"

When playing gigs, we've occasionally setup a "dummy mic".
For those times when an audience member (who can't sing) jumps up on stage.
We just point them to the "wireless SM58" in the back corner.  

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
rabeach
Re: Do Your Record at Higher than 96 kHz and if so, Why? 2015/04/09 16:39:33 (permalink)
BobF

Bob if you are referring to my post it was not intended to answer or address any post above. I briefly read some of the referenced material and some of the post and just posted my thoughts. Amazing photo by the way.
Anderton
Re: Do Your Record at Higher than 96 kHz and if so, Why? 2015/04/09 17:02:20 (permalink)
rabeach
Amazing photo by the way.

Agreed! Apparently BobF is literally a star 

BobF
Re: Do Your Record at Higher than 96 kHz and if so, Why? 2015/04/09 17:17:31 (permalink)
rabeach
BobF

Bob if you are referring to my post it was not intended to answer or address any post above. I briefly read some of the referenced material and some of the post and just posted my thoughts. Amazing photo by the way.

Thanks.  Yes, I was.  I was just being clear for the sake of anybody following.  This has to be the most discussed topic ever ... well, besides 'Subscription vs Membership'  LOL

Bob  --
--

drewfx1
Re: Do Your Record at Higher than 96 kHz and if so, Why? 2015/04/09 21:42:52 (permalink)
rabeach
The Shannon-Nyquist sampling theorem, states that a perfectly bandlimited analog signal can be perfectly reconstructed from an infinite sequence of equally spaced uniform samples if the sampling rate exceeds twice the highest frequency of the original signal. Since neither of those entities exist in our reality e.g. a perfect band limited filter or an infinite sequence of equally spaced uniform samples, using the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem to justify not using higher sampling frequencies is a bit unreasonable. Empirical data collected on devices being sold today would constitute a reasonable argument. imho

It's perfectly reasonable and you can justify it. You just need to allow additional space of ~10% below the Nyquist frequency for the filter to roll off. 

That's the short answer. The full answer in terms of how the pieces fit together in the real world is a bit more involved.

But it still all comes down to any issues having to do with the filters being above the frequency range one cares about - in the real world it just ends up being a bit below the Nyquist frequency.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
Anderton
Re: Do Your Record at Higher than 96 kHz and if so, Why? 2015/04/09 21:51:04 (permalink)
BobF
This has to be the most discussed topic ever ... well, besides 'Subscription vs Membership'  LOL

You forgot Mac vs. PC!  Well, maybe not on SONAR forums...

rabeach
Re: Do Your Record at Higher than 96 kHz and if so, Why? 2015/04/09 23:30:42 (permalink)
drewfx1
rabeach

It's perfectly reasonable and you can justify it. You just need to allow additional space of ~10% below the Nyquist frequency for the filter to roll off. 

That's the short answer. The full answer in terms of how the pieces fit together in the real world is a bit more involved.

But it still all comes down to any issues having to do with the filters being above the frequency range one cares about - in the real world it just ends up being a bit below the Nyquist frequency.

The waveform can only be approximately reconstructed using N samples.  Also interpolation requires a sinc function with the amplitude scaled to the sample value. As the sinc function has infinite impulse response in both positive and negative time directions, it must be approximated for real-world applications. Resulting in interpolation error.

My point is that in application it is not a perfectly reconstructed waveform. 

drewfx1
Re: Do Your Record at Higher than 96 kHz and if so, Why? 2015/04/10 01:32:06 (permalink)
rabeach
drewfx1
rabeach

The waveform can only be approximately reconstructed using N samples.  Also interpolation requires a sinc function with the amplitude scaled to the sample value. As the sinc function has infinite impulse response in both positive and negative time directions, it must be approximated for real-world applications. Resulting in interpolation error.

It doesn't have to be perfect. It only has to be preserve the desired frequency range at a resolution that's better than the bit depth. 

In the real world, once a filter reaches a certain length you don't really gain anything by making it longer. And any imperfections in the waveform are lost in the noise for everything except perhaps isolated high level, high frequency content like sine waves. For low frequencies you can get the imperfections below the bit depth just by interpolating with splines, much less an infinitely long filter.

rabeach
Re: Do Your Record at Higher than 96 kHz and if so, Why? 2015/04/10 03:10:22 (permalink)
drewfx1
rabeach
drewfx1
rabeach

It doesn't have to be perfect. It only has to be preserve the desired frequency range at a resolution that's better than the bit depth. 

In the real world, once a filter reaches a certain length you don't really gain anything by making it longer. And any imperfections in the waveform are lost in the noise for everything except perhaps isolated high level, high frequency content like sine waves. For low frequencies you can get the imperfections below the bit depth just by interpolating with splines, much less an infinitely long filter.

I never stated that a perfect reconstruction was necessary. Nor did I indicate the interpolation error could be heard. I simply stated a perfect reconstruction does not exist. And invoking a theorem as justification for not sampling at higher frequencies is flawed in my opinion because the math required for the theorem to be held true is not implemented in real-world systems. So whether sampling at a higher frequency is beneficial on the many varied ADC to DAC systems should not be based on a perceived belief that a perfect reconstruction is occurring. That aside sampling at higher frequencies may sound better on some systems and not on others. My aardvark 24/96 was designed by an extremely competent engineer had very stable clocking and filters with extremely low noise and low distortion. It sounded great at 96kHz although I never worked with it at that frequency. My VS-100 sounds great at 44.1kHz (doesn't touch the aardvark though) but I don't care for the sound it has at 96kHz. Stable clocking and filter design are extremely challenging and are not implemented very well in most commercial systems. In my opinion empirical data collected on the varied systems in use trumps the belief that a perfect reconstruction is occurring and all systems will sound the same at 44.1kHz. But if the empirical data is ever collected and says otherwise I will promptly reverse my opinion.

Math is just a construct many people experience a sensory variance from using higher sampling frequencies. 

There is a Burr Brown white paper that shows the implementation of a linear-phase filter somewhere in between a Butterworth and a Bessel response; It may be outdated by now I came across it in 1994.

http://www.ti.com/lit/an/sbaa001/sbaa001.pdf
post edited by rabeach - 2015/04/10 03:52:51
BobF
Re: Do Your Record at Higher than 96 kHz and if so, Why? 2015/04/10 08:10:22 (permalink)
rabeach
drewfx1
rabeach
drewfx1
rabeach

I never stated that a perfect reconstruction was necessary. Nor did I indicate the interpolation error could be heard. I simply stated a perfect reconstruction does not exist. And invoking a theorem as justification for not sampling at higher frequencies is flawed in my opinion because the math required for the theorem to be held true is not implemented in real-world systems. So whether sampling at a higher frequency is beneficial on the many varied ADC to DAC systems should not be based on a perceived belief that a perfect reconstruction is occurring. That aside sampling at higher frequencies may sound better on some systems and not on others. My aardvark 24/96 was designed by an extremely competent engineer had very stable clocking and filters with extremely low noise and low distortion. It sounded great at 96kHz although I never worked with it at that frequency. My VS-100 sounds great at 44.1kHz (doesn't touch the aardvark though) but I don't care for the sound it has at 96kHz. Stable clocking and filter design are extremely challenging and are not implemented very well in most commercial systems. In my opinion empirical data collected on the varied systems in use trumps the belief that a perfect reconstruction is occurring and all systems will sound the same at 44.1kHz. But if the empirical data is ever collected and says otherwise I will promptly reverse my opinion.

Math is just a construct many people experience a sensory variance from using higher sampling frequencies. 

There is a Burr Brown white paper that shows the implementation of a linear-phase filter somewhere in between a Butterworth and a Bessel response; It may be outdated by now I came across it in 1994.

http://www.ti.com/lit/an/sbaa001/sbaa001.pdf

Good discussion rabeach ... it's all about trade-offs and diminishing returns.

Bob  --
--

mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Do Your Record at Higher than 96 kHz and if so, Why? 2015/04/10 08:48:44 (permalink)
I love reading these sorts of threads.
I understand the terms used, enough to follow the discussion and reaching the end realise I don't really understand anyway.
But you know it doesn't really matter because there doesn't seem to be any real consensus when it comes to should I or shouldnt I record in 96khz.

I'll keep recording at 48khz and occasionally go to 96khz when the fancy takes me..

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
FCCfirstclass
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 969
Re: Do Your Record at Higher than 96 kHz and if so, Why? 2015/04/10 08:57:27 (permalink)
IfItMovesFunkIt
I don't even record at 96 kHz any more !... I used to but only because my brain was playing the numbers game.. I mean 96 has to be better than 48 because its twice the size right ?

But seriously I decided that CD quality is good enough for me.... I'm a 56 year old bass player that records the ocassional song in a bedroom and so the technically inferior CD specification is more than adequate for my purposes

The same for me, recording at 48 is just fine for my 63 year old ears.

Win 10 Pro x64, 32Gb DDR3 ram, Sonar Platinum, Cubase 9.5, Mackie MCU Pro, Cakewalk VS 100, Roland Octa-Capture,  A 800 Pro, Carver M-1.5t amp & C4000 pre amp, various mics, drums and brass instruments.

And away we go!
BobF
Re: Do Your Record at Higher than 96 kHz and if so, Why? 2015/04/10 09:03:44 (permalink)
I tried 96K and 192K.  The higher the sample rate, the more I'm able to discern noise from my cheap cables, mics and lousy technique.  48K is a nice mid ground where all of those shortcomings get blurred together such that they sound like random noise

Bob  --
--

garyhb
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 73
Re: Do Your Record at Higher than 96 kHz and if so, Why? 2015/04/10 10:39:02 (permalink)
Hi All

Very interesing discussion. In my reckoning we're rather too fixated on hearing higher frequencies from higher sample rates.

Surely the point is that if recording at progressively higher sample rates results in capturing more information then we are progressively hearing more harmonic content and therefore subtle details of the frequency range we are able to perceive.

As Bob Katz also points out, the quality of converters has improved over the years so even basic AD/DA conversion results in higher quality captured audio too. Then add in the quality of speakers, room acoustics, mics, personal physiology and critical listening skills...

The science is important or course, but in the end, skilled, subjective experience of psychoacoustic phenomenon is down to individual experience...! You pays your money, you takes your choice!!!

Harmonics!

Best,

Gary

Gear: Sonar Platinum 64bit, Win 10 Pro 64bit. Soundcraft Signature MTR 22. Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 @ 3.40GHz, 16GB ECC RAM, Dell MB 0PM2CW, NVIDIA GeForce 210, 5TB WD Black storage, HannsG HT231 23" multi-touch monitor (1920x1080), LG 22" W2242S (1680x1050), Soundcraft Signature MTR 22, Adam A77X, Sonarworks Reference 3, Studiologic VMK188+  and the usual other stuff there's no space for...

Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: Do Your Record at Higher than 96 kHz and if so, Why? 2015/04/10 10:57:53 (permalink)
BobF
This has to be the most discussed topic ever ... well, besides 'Subscription vs Membership'  LOL

No notation fixes!  has more than twice as many posts.  Cakewalk please take note.

(Sorry.  I find this here thread a very interesting read and it has greatly increased my knowledge of the subject)

post edited by Paul P - 2015/04/10 11:04:03

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Do Your Record at Higher than 96 kHz and if so, Why? 2015/04/10 11:22:58 (permalink)
garyhb
Hi All

Very interesing discussion. In my reckoning we're rather too fixated on hearing higher frequencies from higher sample rates.

Surely the point is that if recording at progressively higher sample rates results in capturing more information then we are progressively hearing more harmonic content and therefore subtle details of the frequency range we are able to perceive.

As Bob Katz also points out, the quality of converters has improved over the years so even basic AD/DA conversion results in higher quality captured audio too. Then add in the quality of speakers, room acoustics, mics, personal physiology and critical listening skills...

The science is important or course, but in the end, skilled, subjective experience of psychoacoustic phenomenon is down to individual experience...! You pays your money, you takes your choice!!!

Harmonics!

Best,

Gary

Gary no, higher sample rates will only increase the bandwidth meaning you will be sampling frequencies that are above human hearing. In most cases there is nothing there to sample. Microphones may or may not reach that high anyway. Most mics cutoff at 22kHz.  

44.1 is sufficient to sample 20 Hz to 20 kHz. This is the bandwidth that has musical meaning and usefulness. Further our hearing varies for person to person but a general rule is that most people above the age of 25 can hear to about 15 kHz. The older you get the less highs you can hear. A lot of musicians have very poor hearing due to being exposed to very loud music on a regular basis. Those that play amplified instruments suffer the most.      

Best
John
Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1