Helpful ReplyDo we accurately represent the Sonar user base?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Poco
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 746
Re:Do we acurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/25 13:52:07 (permalink)
What, haven't you guys been to the

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tt.aspx?forumid=illuminati

fourm?

Its where Zimmer, Copland (1900-1990), Williams, Elfman, Fleck, et al hang out.  Boy I thought everyone went there.

God People - God Music
Where there is no peace, it is not peaceful.
Katie_Katie
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 557
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/25 13:53:01 (permalink)
yorolpal wrote:
"...Does Cake see us as a representative cross section of their user base and potential market demographic whose views and complaints are something to be considered seriously and used to base corporate and product development on..."[ed. "?"]

That is an interesting question and one that I can only speculate an answer.  I was more insightful before my zodiac sign changed, but I can still proffer some rudimentary thoughts.

First, I think any company/organization would be foolish to ignore a feedback system.  It does not take a sociology degree or a marketing degree to cull valuable information from this feedback system.  Being able to discern apologists from critics is not a difficult task – nor is it difficult to obtain valuable information from either extreme.   Within these forums valuable data exists – to what degree Cakewalk used this information (feedback system) I can only speculate.

Second, I think only Cakewalk can provide percent of user base to forum user.  I say “user” because not all users post.  I would think a fair majority are, for the most part, lurkers (to use the colloquial term), and reading to gain information.    There was a theorem that basically stated one written letter (yes, that was before email) to a corporation was worth a percentage of the user base (it varies based on year and, as I stated above, my zodiac changed so I can remember all the book stuff).  That same theorem applies here.  To what degree and percentage only the Madison Ave. boys/girls at Cakewalk know.  

To reiterate yorolpal’s question, and diagram it a bit:

“Does Cake see us as a representative cross section of their user base” [ed.”?”]
If they do not, then I would consider them managerially inept.

“… potential market demographic….” [ed.”?”]
Maybe.  It is obvious to me that some folks would buy a painted rock with the words “Sonar X5” and be happy clams.  Others would require a lobotomy and cash incentives. But, I think Cakewalk would again be foolish not to consider the potential for both sales and word of mouth reputation garnered from this forum.

“…complaints are something to be considered seriously and used to base corporate and product development on..."[ed. "?"]
Tough one here.  The key word is “corporate”.  Corporate is a monetarily driven entity.  Fixing a product vs replacing a product with something new is two different paths with vastly different cost/gain structures.  Which path a company takes can sometimes seem almost arbitrary and counter productive (i.e. New Coke).   The path(s) taken by Cakewalk is another of those inside the corporate bubble clouds that I, again, can only speculate as to their reasoning.  But, I and others are intimately aware of the impact from their decision(s).

Just some rambling thoughts.
Katherine

Katherine  

Monkey23
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 848
Re:Do we acurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/25 13:56:28 (permalink)
Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk
]

Monkey23

I know that my current Cakewalk dealer has decided not to stock X1 (Producer, Studio, and Essential) but will order it for a customer as a "special order".

Who is your local dealer?

Would prefer not to say for reasons that will be explained in the PM I just sent you.
ba_midi
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14061
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/25 13:59:25 (permalink)
Just some rambling thoughts. Katherine

That's pretty well thought out / darn good rambling, if you ask me ;)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/25 14:02:56 (permalink)
New Coke is an interesting example to raise. The reality of that whole thing is way different to the myth. The myth being that people overwhelmingly hated it, and what were they thinking, and yadda yadda.

Here's an excerpt from the Wikipedia page on it. The whole thing's worth a read, but this bit, and particularly the bits I've highlighted are somewhat illuminating I think:

Early acceptance

The company, as it had planned, introduced the new formula with big marketing pushes in New York (workers renovating the Statue of Liberty were symbolically the first Americans given cans to take home[20]) and Washington, D.C. (where thousands of free cans were given away in Lafayette Park). Sales figures from those cities, and other regions where it had been introduced, showed a reaction that went as the market research had predicted. In fact, Coke's sales were up 8% over the same period the year before.[21]
Most Coke drinkers resumed buying the new drink at much the same level as they had the old one. Surveys indicated, in fact, that a majority liked the new flavoring.[22] Three-quarters of the respondents said they would buy New Coke again.[21] The big test, however, remained in the Southeast, where Coke was first bottled and tasted.

[edit] Backlash

Despite New Coke's acceptance with a large number of Coca-Cola drinkers, a vocal minority of them resented the change in formula and were not shy about making that known — again just as had happened in the focus groups.[23]
Many of these drinkers were Southerners, some of whom considered the drink a fundamental part of regional identity. They viewed the company's decision to change the formula through the prism of the Civil War, as another surrender to the "Yankees"[23]. Company headquarters in Atlanta started receiving letters expressing anger or deep disappointment. Over 400,000 calls and letters were received by the company.[19] A psychiatrist Coke hired to listen in on phone calls to the company hotline, 1-800-GET-COKE, told executives some people sounded as if they were discussing the death of a family member.[24]
They were, nonetheless, joined by some voices from outside the region. Chicago Tribune columnist Bob Greene wrote some widely reprinted pieces ridiculing the new flavor and damning Coke's executives for having changed it. Talk show hosts and comedians made light of the switch. Ads for New Coke were booed heavily when they appeared on the scoreboard at the Houston Astrodome.[20] Even Fidel Castro, a longtime Coke drinker, contributed to the backlash, calling New Coke a sign of American capitalist decadence.[25] Goizueta's own father expressed similar misgivings towards his son; the only time the younger man recalled him ever agreeing with Castro, the man whose revolution had driven him and his son, nearly penniless, to America a quarter-century before.[26]
Pepsi took advantage of the situation, running ads in which a first-time Pepsi drinker exclaimed "Now I know why Coke did it!"[27] However, Pepsi actually gained very few converts over Coke's switch, despite claiming a 14% sales increase over the same month the previous year, the largest sales growth in the company's history.[21] The most alienated customers simply refused to buy New Coke rather than switch to Pepsi.[28] Coca-Cola's director of corporate communications, Carlton Curtis, realized over time that they were more upset about the withdrawal of the old formula than the taste of the new one.[29]
Gay Mullins, a Seattle retiree looking to start a public relations firm with $120,000 of borrowed money, formed the organization Old Cola Drinkers of America on May 28 to lobby Coca-Cola to either reintroduce the old formula or sell it to someone else. His organization eventually received over 60,000 phone calls. He also filed a class action lawsuit against the company (which was quickly dismissed by a judge who said he preferred the taste of Pepsi[30]), while nevertheless expressing interest in landing Coca-Cola Company as a client of his new firm should it reintroduce the old formula.[31] In two informal blind taste tests, Mullins either failed to distinguish New Coke from old or expressed a preference for New Coke.[32]
Still, despite ongoing resistance in the South, New Coke continued to do well in the rest of the country.[23] But executives were uncertain of how international markets would react. Sergio Zyman, the company's chief marketing officer, heard doubts and skepticism from his relatives in Mexico, where New Coke was slated to be introduced later that summer, when he went there on vacation.
Goizueta publicly voiced a complaint many company executives had been making in private as they shared letters the company had received thanking them for the change in formula, that bashing it had become "chic" and that, as had happened in the focus groups, peer pressure was keeping those who liked it from speaking up in its favor as vociferously as its critics were against it. Donald Keough, the company's president and chief operating officer, reported overhearing this exchange at his country club outside Atlanta:
"Have you tried it?"
"Yes."
"Did you like it?"
"Yes, but I'll be damned if I'll let Coca-Cola know that."[33]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Coke

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
rscain
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 784
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/25 14:25:00 (permalink)
I think the answer to the question depends on which forum members you're talking about.

If you mean the members who are constantly posting threads of their own and jumping on a lot of other threads to complain loudly over and over about the same issues then no, I don't believe it is an accurate representation. If Cake's software was that bad they'd have been out of business a long time ago instead of being a company that attracted investment by a huge corporation like Roland.

If you mean the members who seem to think that Cakewalk hung the moon and couldn't possibly do anything wrong, that would also be no. 

If you mean the members who seem to thrive on causing conflict by being contrary and argumentative again I'd say no.

If you mean the members who come on here just to extoll the virtues of another company's product I'd say no.

If you mean the members who have been around for a couple of years and have post counts in the thousands I would also say no to that.  Who has the time? There's music to be made.

If you mean the members who come here occasionally to get help with a problem or ideas for a new technique or just to check out what's new, then I'd say possibly. 
post edited by rscain - 2011/01/25 14:27:39

My Tunes On SoundClick  

AMD FX9350 @4 gHz, 16 gb ram, 240 gb SSD, 2 1Tb SS/Hybrid HDs, 1 Tb Fantom External HD, Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Studio One 4 Pro, Harrison Mixbus, Izotope Neutron 2 Advanced and Ozone 8 Advanced, ARC 2, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, TC-Helicon VoiceLive 3, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Focusrite Octopre MkII, KRK Rokit 8 monitors, Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones, MidiMan Oxygen 8, Behringer X-Touch, guitars and stuff 
Katie_Katie
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 557
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/25 14:28:06 (permalink)
John T wrote:
"New Coke is an interesting example to raise."

John T, smart fellow you.  You picked up on that purposeful inclusion in my post.

Yes, New Coke was better in the taste testing part of their consumer research.  Where they failed miserably was the exclusion of the simple human emotional attachment to the previous product.   No one asked if this was a suitable replacement for the old Coke.    Humm.....is there a parallelism here?  I’ll let others ponder that question.

Katherine  

tarsier
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3029
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/25 14:51:58 (permalink)
Yes, New Coke was better in the taste testing part of their consumer research.

It was only better in the 'pow' phase of taste testing--the one sip test. In terms of how it tasted over a lengthy test, like a full bottle, new coke wasn't an improvement over 'old' coke or pepsi.

We have someone from Canada where I work and he said that when he was growing up he thought Coke was Canadian and Pepsi was American. Red and White vs. Red White and Blue.

Ok, irrelevancy over.

This forum seems to represent a pretty good cross section of users. We've got DAW as tape machine, Daw as synth station, loop creators, video scorers, VO trackers, rock'ers, pop'ers, prog'ers, jazz'ers... what sort of user haven't we seen here?
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/25 15:42:41 (permalink)
And where does Pepsi fit in?
Kroneborge
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1300
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/25 16:04:59 (permalink)
"If Cake's software was that bad they'd have been out of business a long time ago instead "

I don't think anyone is aruging that Cakewalk software has been bad.   It's more of "hey you took a great product that I love and broke it).

This can happen to any sucessful company.   Look at Toyota's recent quality control issues, or Win XP to Win Vista.

If a company fixes the problems they usually recover.   If they don't they end up like GM.

Mathew

Hip Hop
http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/25 16:17:34 (permalink)
Hi Brandon,

Thank you for you reply and for your having shared some insights with us.

Your comment, that many users you speak with are unaware of the forum, struck a nerve... and I would like to share an response with you.

You have mentioned to me previously that you have met many users, new users, and prospective users, who claim they find SONAR too complicated or too confusing.

I would like to suggest that there may be a correlation here.

Personally I know of no other program that requires as much knowledge to master and fully understand. I guess your direct competitors may be similar... but I don't anything outside of DAW environments that require so much knowledge and experience. A competent DAW operator must know music, acoustics, electronic audio, and basic sound production skills. Furthermore the operator has to have a mind suited to creating something from constituent parts. That's a serious list of qualifications.

I can hack my way around 3D Studio Max and Maya and produce video animation and game interiors. I can edit video in just about any editor. But, honestly I can't think of any other type or category of program that requires so much knowledge to utilize effectively as a DAW. I don't mean that to seem like a bad thing... I think it's great that Cakewalk and a few competitors are pushing the absolute limits of what we may regard as a single "Workstation" application in any field of endeavor.

And so, I wonder if the very people whom you speak to who claim that SONAR is too confusing, cluttered, or complicated are the very people who are not taking advantage of the opportunities to learn here at the Cakewalk forum.

I find this forum has been invaluable for me with regards to learning SONAR. Personally, I try to *trade* for help with SONAR by offering tips and advice about audio production. Info which I have learned from a lifetime of experience. The forum works like a big pay forward circle for me and the forum is vital to me as I continue to learn SONAR.

I sincerely hope you will consider this the next time you are speaking with someone who is advising you too dumb down and simplify SONAR while they remain unaware of the vast amount of help that they may receive here at the forum.

By my estimate it takes at least 3 years to master SONAR and that must seem humbling to seasoned musicians or engineers that are simply new to SONAR.  I sincerely feel that placating requests to make everything seem simple is a disservice to the potential that SONAR has always represented.

I hope this message finds you in an open minded mood and that you enjoy a great spring season.

very best regards,
mike

John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/25 18:01:43 (permalink)
Katie_Katie

John T wrote:

John T, smart fellow you.  You picked up on that purposeful inclusion in my post.

Yes, New Coke was better in the taste testing part of their consumer research.  Where they failed miserably was the exclusion of the simple human emotional attachment to the previous product.   No one asked if this was a suitable replacement for the old Coke.    Humm.....is there a parallelism here?  I’ll let others ponder that question.

That's never been my view of it. It's interesting to me, as "New Coke" hos become a mythological signifier, which people use to mean, more or less "the triumph of popular common sense over corporate idiocy". When you look at the details of it, it turns out to be really no such thing, indeed quite the opposite. It's a story of the strenuous and ultimately successful efforts of a vocal minority to spin their own agendas as being in the general interest.

This is obviously an uncomfortable idea, as nobody wants to believe that they've been duped into passionately subscribing to a view they didn't really hold in the first place.

As to whether there's a useful analogy for what's been going on on this forum of late, I dunno. I think this place is too much of a backwater, really. I doubt it's that influential either way.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
declan
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/25 20:58:08 (permalink)
John T

Katie_Katie

John T wrote:

That's never been my view of it. It's interesting to me, as "New Coke" hos become a mythological signifier, which people use to mean, more or less "the triumph of popular common sense over corporate idiocy". When you look at the details of it, it turns out to be really no such thing, indeed quite the opposite. It's a story of the strenuous and ultimately successful efforts of a vocal minority to spin their own agendas as being in the general interest.

This is obviously an uncomfortable idea, as nobody wants to believe that they've been duped into passionately subscribing to a view they didn't really hold in the first place.

As to whether there's a useful analogy for what's been going on on this forum of late, I dunno. I think this place is too much of a backwater, really. I doubt it's that influential either way.
What has been going on in this forum since X1 was released has been IMHO an anomaly.  What's odd is that many longtime users who are having real problems in X1 kvetch about the marketing.

It's a side issue for them to be sure, but there is this implied "vox populi" going on here that I find to be delusional.

I'm sure someone who's never bought Sonar before has been crippled by X1, but try to find a post from one of them here that you don't think isn't complete bs.  I haven't.

It's the guys that knew better to hang back on X1 that were voluminously barfing 3 weeks in.

You hear "I never trust reviews" and "I've invested my time, money and improved the product" drivel.  And those guys who obsessively post technically do have influence on the forum, and they seem to expect CW to believe that influence.

I do have something else to say but I'm anticipating some things I consider inevetiable... Blechh.

A1MixMan
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1706
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/25 21:16:39 (permalink)
"Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base?" 

I sure hope not!

yorolpal                           bapu                             John                               Mike                               some other dude

post edited by A1MixMan - 2011/01/25 21:19:34

A1
yorolpal
  • Total Posts : 13829
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/25 21:21:32 (permalink)
Geeze...that "some other dude" guy is HOT!!!!!!!!!!  If only I wasn't straight.  Dern.  I mean that dark mustache and that blue hat....wah wah wee waw!!

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
The Maillard Reaction
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/25 21:26:16 (permalink)
I'm stuck in 8 bit!

LOL!

best,
mike

A1MixMan
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/25 21:28:37 (permalink)
Yeah Mike, I'd say it's time for an upgrade. Oh, and stay away from yorolpal...

A1
The Maillard Reaction
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/25 21:30:37 (permalink)

I've heard that black and white is still considered fancy smancy.

Let's just see how it goes.

I'm hoping 24bit distribution may someday become the norm.

:-)

A1MixMan
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/25 21:37:39 (permalink)
It is obvious to me that some folks would buy a painted rock with the words “Sonar X5” and be happy clams.

Hey, I just looked in the Cakewalk store and I couldn't find the Sonar X5 rocks. Can you post a link?

A1
johnnyV
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2677
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/25 21:38:49 (permalink)
Well, maybe if X1 sucks so bad, at least a lot of folks will come back to the Producer forum which has been relegated to the status of Home Studio forum. We're waiting for the smoke to clear from above before proceeding.
You want to see something sad, go visit the Highly tooted " Getting Started" forum.
Average reply to questions= 2.3
Average response time to questions = 22.1 hours

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
 Scarlett 6i6
Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

A1MixMan
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/25 21:47:50 (permalink)
johnnyV

Well, maybe if X1 sucks so bad, at least a lot of folks will come back to the Producer forum which has been relegated to the status of Home Studio forum. We're waiting for the smoke to clear from above before proceeding.
You want to see something sad, go visit the Highly tooted " Getting Started" forum.
Average reply to questions= 2.3
Average response time to questions = 22.1 hours

I suspect most of them will eventually end up here. And come on, it ain't THAT bad...

A1
Lynn
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6117
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/25 22:51:40 (permalink)
I have 5 friends that have been using Sonar over the last 10 to 12 years, and none of them care about this forum for various reasons.  Mainly because they work in their studios, have no problems, and when they're done working they get as far away from their computers as possible.  Some people actually have lives.  I suspect that is true for most CW users everywhere.  And then, there are those of us that like to share, brag, complain, teach, learn, etc.  Since X1 has been released, I've had the strongest desire to share my feelings with the world.  I think it got into my water supply.  What I'm getting at is that I hope that we DON'T represent the norm ( my apologies to Norm ).

All the best,
Lynn

my songs
www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
A1MixMan
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/25 22:59:08 (permalink)
What I'm getting at is that I hope that we DON'T represent the norm ( my apologies to Norm ).

Ahh man, Norm is gonna be pissed!

A1
VigilantSound
  • Total Posts : 474
Re:Do we acurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/26 00:07:03 (permalink)
As far as most people on this forum, I doubt it....

I think most forum members either Use it All The Time or not at all..(Cause they are to busy posting here...lol)

And I think majority of cakewalk owners use it maybe once a week and not to seriously...

But what do I know...

ASUS P5BV-C, Intel Core 2 Quad 2.8 Ghz, Q9300,
4 gigs Ram, Win7-64 bit OSX 10.6
ADK 9000 I7, 6 gigs Ram, MacBookPro I7, 4 gigs Ram
MOTU 828Mk3, MOTU microbookII
SONAR PE X2A, Pro Tools 9.0.6, StudioOnePro 2.5.4
Ableton Live 9, Waves V.9, 

www.jesseahemmanuel.com

declan
  • Total Posts : 463
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/26 00:57:57 (permalink)
Lynn

I have 5 friends that have been using Sonar over the last 10 to 12 years, and none of them care about this forum for various reasons.  Mainly because they work in their studios, have no problems, and when they're done working they get as far away from their computers as possible.  Some people actually have lives.  I suspect that is true for most CW users everywhere.  And then, there are those of us that like to share, brag, complain, teach, learn, etc.  Since X1 has been released, I've had the strongest desire to share my feelings with the world.  I think it got into my water supply.  What I'm getting at is that I hope that we DON'T represent the norm ( my apologies to Norm ).
I can't say I have that many friends/associates that use Sonar but I know 2 people who only come here when I shoot them a link.

Lynn, I've read about your previous struggles with X1 and I'm very glad they're mostly alleviated.  I think you were quite a gentleman during that process too.  Cheers!

Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re:Do we acurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/26 01:01:23 (permalink)
trimph1

How many are actually having issues? And, if not, why?

Some claim to know the answer to the second part of the question. "Because they are fan boys"

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
Pastacrow
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 105
Re:Do we acurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/26 03:14:32 (permalink)
I resonate with what Urbancheese has said. (EDIT .... Although I just realise now that another whole page of conversation has passed since then ... Doh!)
I too am a long term Cakewalk user and supporter (18 or so years) but have only ever posted here in the last two months because of difficulties I've had with X1.  I've always been a Cakewalk fan and have lurked occasionally on the forum over the years as a guest, but now is the first time I have really needed help and or answers.

I've had a lot of crashes and strange behaviour from X1 but have often found someone else has usually encountered it before I do. Therefore, I haven't needed to raise the issue or comment - just read what others have already found and glean from that. In a bizarre kind of way - it is somewhat coldly comforting to know someone else is having the same trouble!!!!

I see the forum like any other social grouping - some are more extroverted and willing to put their opinion out there immediately - while others venture more cautiously testing the waters first, while some simply like to hear others speak as a way of forming their own opinions. My suspicion is that the forum IS a reasonable cross section of the total user base ... some early adaptors, some resistant to change and many more somewhere in between.

my $0.02 worth
post edited by Pastacrow - 2011/01/26 03:59:28

Sonar Platinum (Lifetime!) + Samplitude Pro X3 Suite + Presonus Studio One 3
(previously Cakewalk & Pro Audio 3,5,6,8,9 | Sonar 2,3,5,6,8,8.5 | Sonar Producer X1,X2,X3E )
Intel Core i7-4790 / 3.6 / 16 GB RAM
240 GB SSD / 2.0 TB HD / 2GB Nvidia GTX750ti / Windows 8.1 x 64bit
UAD Apollo Twin USB / Roland Octacapture 
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/26 05:42:46 (permalink)
mike_mccue

Hi Brandon,

Thank you for you reply and for your having shared some insights with us.

Your comment, that many users you speak with are unaware of the forum, struck a nerve... and I would like to share an response with you.

You have mentioned to me previously that you have met many users, new users, and prospective users, who claim they find SONAR too complicated or too confusing.

I would like to suggest that there may be a correlation here.

Personally I know of no other program that requires as much knowledge to master and fully understand. I guess your direct competitors may be similar... but I don't anything outside of DAW environments that require so much knowledge and experience. A competent DAW operator must know music, acoustics, electronic audio, and basic sound production skills. Furthermore the operator has to have a mind suited to creating something from constituent parts. That's a serious list of qualifications.

I can hack my way around 3D Studio Max and Maya and produce video animation and game interiors. I can edit video in just about any editor. But, honestly I can't think of any other type or category of program that requires so much knowledge to utilize effectively as a DAW. I don't mean that to seem like a bad thing... I think it's great that Cakewalk and a few competitors are pushing the absolute limits of what we may regard as a single "Workstation" application in any field of endeavor.

And so, I wonder if the very people whom you speak to who claim that SONAR is too confusing, cluttered, or complicated are the very people who are not taking advantage of the opportunities to learn here at the Cakewalk forum.

I find this forum has been invaluable for me with regards to learning SONAR. Personally, I try to *trade* for help with SONAR by offering tips and advice about audio production. Info which I have learned from a lifetime of experience. The forum works like a big pay forward circle for me and the forum is vital to me as I continue to learn SONAR.

I sincerely hope you will consider this the next time you are speaking with someone who is advising you too dumb down and simplify SONAR while they remain unaware of the vast amount of help that they may receive here at the forum.

By my estimate it takes at least 3 years to master SONAR and that must seem humbling to seasoned musicians or engineers that are simply new to SONAR.  I sincerely feel that placating requests to make everything seem simple is a disservice to the potential that SONAR has always represented.

I hope this message finds you in an open minded mood and that you enjoy a great spring season.

very best regards,
mike

Cool post Mike! Before I reply to you though, a quick shout out to yorolpal....it's my understanding that they take us as a bit of everything and respect what we say. The tech support guys I've gotten pretty tight with over the years have said the same thing when I've asked them "do we matter"? We come up with some cool work-arounds for things and due to us using the program in so many different ways, it opens up some doors for the Bakers as well. How many times have we come up with cool things or even found bugs that no one else found? We definitely have some merit and importance. Heck we do tech support a favor as most times a majority of users can get nearly any problem solved just by posting in depth information to this forum. That to me speaks volumes.

Mike: This brings me to your well thought out post. If it weren't for Cakewalk/Sonar, I'd not be as pc savvy as I am. This is a double edged sword though. I'm happy as heck that I can fix just about any pc issue I have on my own because of it, but I feel this was forced on me and no one else has to be as pc savvy using other programs. Or, you get people that say "when I used x and y programs, I was able to do this that and this while running them. Now I can't anymore." Or "why do I have to do this that and this to use Sonar....I don't get it?" How do you defend that really? You can't because if you do, you make it sound like "Sonar is created to use your system differently than x or y" when the x or y works just as well as Sonar and gives you the same results.

Those of us that are used to Sonar and how we set it up, don't realize how much tweaking we sometimes have to do to make it work for us because we're used to it. We know just where to go, where to tweak. Imagine being a n00b doing some of this stuff for the first time. No wonder why they go off like lunatics on here. LOL!

Quite a bit of options/audio needs to be done for me no matter what system I use this on. It doesn't seem to be that way for me with other applications. They don't need an audio engine that cuts on and off....I can use different programs at the same time, they don't need extensive system configurations to work....they just install, and they work. Sure they have bugs like we do...but we have way more stuff we have to worry about with this program than some of the others.

I belong to a forum where I try my best to handle all the Sonar questions. It's to the point now where I say "tell me all your system stats and give me screen shots of your options/audio tabs." Some people don't even know their system stats or how to do a screen shot. LOL! There is just so much people need to know about computers as well as the program itself in order to use it correctly and this to me, is both a blessing and a curse.

I had a guy the other day tell me "I really tried to like Sonar and it looks killer, but I can't make it work and I need it to work now." He never posted up his config or told me how it wasn't working...but he couldn't wait and didn't want to comment so he bought something else and posted back "well, x program installed and instantly worked for me and I'm out of my bind now."

We see this a lot on our own forum...which tells me, something should be done to fix it some how. We work with some audio cards, with others there is a 10 step program. I know other DAW programs have these issues as well from time to time, but it seems more so for Sonar users. I'm glad that it taught me about computers but I'd probably be sick to my stomach if I knew how much time I logged learning this stuff and was unable to work due to issues that had to be set up manually. I know that's the nature of the beast with all the different systems and configs out now....but it's still a bummer that someone has to be pc savvy to make a program work at times. Without this forum, I'd definitely be using another DAW because I would have never been able to learn without you guys...and my tolerance for Cakewalk/Sonar would have definitely been way less. Getting an answer in an hour or less on an issue is priceless in my opinion. :)

post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/01/26 05:45:41

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Crg
  • Total Posts : 7719
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/26 06:00:22 (permalink)
We are only bits and peices of a whole we have never seen.

Craig DuBuc
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/26 08:47:47 (permalink)
Well Brandon said we are important and that's  good enough for me.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1