Helpful ReplyDo we accurately represent the Sonar user base?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
listen
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 593
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/26 08:59:53 (permalink)
mike_mccue

Hi Brandon,

I find this forum has been invaluable for me with regards to learning SONAR. Personally, I try to *trade* for help with SONAR by offering tips and advice about audio production. Info which I have learned from a lifetime of experience. The forum works like a big pay forward circle for me and the forum is vital to me as I continue to learn SONAR.

I sincerely hope you will consider this the next time you are speaking with someone who is advising you too dumb down and simplify SONAR while they remain unaware of the vast amount of help that they may receive here at the forum.

By my estimate it takes at least 3 years to master SONAR and that must seem humbling to seasoned musicians or engineers that are simply new to SONAR.  I sincerely feel that placating requests to make everything seem simple is a disservice to the potential that SONAR has always represented.

I hope this message finds you in an open minded mood and that you enjoy a great spring season.

very best regards,
mike

This is truth - anytime I have a question or have a brain lapse reference SONAR use I come to the forum and : bippty, boppy, boop - question answered; problem solved.

- Listen -
FOH Mixer & Recording Studio Manager
Nothing but the grace of God - mggtg.

VS 700C - R / CONSOLE 1 / NEVE PORTICO 5017 / TASCAM UH-7000 / SONAR PLATINUM  / REASON RECORD 9 / VMP 2 / UREI 7110's / UA LA-610 MkII / AUDIENT ASP 880 / CREATION STATION 450 V 5 WINDOWS 10 / HOME 64 - BIT / SKYLAKE CORE i7 (i7 - 6700, 4 CORES/8 THREADS)
LJB
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1502
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/26 10:10:18 (permalink)
A question I have is HOW does CW survey the users that are not on here? The only surveys I ever filled out were very superficial ones. I would honestly like to know - I'm not being antagonistic.

Ludwig Bouwer, One Big Room Studios.
--------------------
Cakewalk
with all the trimmings / Win 10Pro 64 / Intel i7-7700 / Asus Prime Z270k / 16GB DDR4 / RME HDSP9652 / RME UFX / Black Lion Audio ADA8000 / ART MPA & ART Pro Channel / Focusrite Voicemaster Pro / Aphex 107

Check out my work at www.onebigroom.co.za

Brandon Ryan [Roland]
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3458
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/26 14:18:29 (permalink)
mike_mccue

Hi Brandon,

Thank you for you reply and for your having shared some insights with us.

Your comment, that many users you speak with are unaware of the forum, struck a nerve... and I would like to share an response with you.

You have mentioned to me previously that you have met many users, new users, and prospective users, who claim they find SONAR too complicated or too confusing.

I would like to suggest that there may be a correlation here.

Personally I know of no other program that requires as much knowledge to master and fully understand. I guess your direct competitors may be similar... but I don't anything outside of DAW environments that require so much knowledge and experience. A competent DAW operator must know music, acoustics, electronic audio, and basic sound production skills. Furthermore the operator has to have a mind suited to creating something from constituent parts. That's a serious list of qualifications.

I can hack my way around 3D Studio Max and Maya and produce video animation and game interiors. I can edit video in just about any editor. But, honestly I can't think of any other type or category of program that requires so much knowledge to utilize effectively as a DAW. I don't mean that to seem like a bad thing... I think it's great that Cakewalk and a few competitors are pushing the absolute limits of what we may regard as a single "Workstation" application in any field of endeavor.

And so, I wonder if the very people whom you speak to who claim that SONAR is too confusing, cluttered, or complicated are the very people who are not taking advantage of the opportunities to learn here at the Cakewalk forum.

I find this forum has been invaluable for me with regards to learning SONAR. Personally, I try to *trade* for help with SONAR by offering tips and advice about audio production. Info which I have learned from a lifetime of experience. The forum works like a big pay forward circle for me and the forum is vital to me as I continue to learn SONAR.

I sincerely hope you will consider this the next time you are speaking with someone who is advising you too dumb down and simplify SONAR while they remain unaware of the vast amount of help that they may receive here at the forum.

By my estimate it takes at least 3 years to master SONAR and that must seem humbling to seasoned musicians or engineers that are simply new to SONAR.  I sincerely feel that placating requests to make everything seem simple is a disservice to the potential that SONAR has always represented.

I hope this message finds you in an open minded mood and that you enjoy a great spring season.

very best regards,
mike

Hi Mike. Lots of good stuff here and I agree that mastering a DAW takes a very special skill set and actually makes it much easier to get by in other kinds of applications - as they often just require a subset of what you need to know to successfully work with a DAW.

I find myself espousing the virtues of the forum to practically every user I meet as an invaluable resource of information, help, and sometimes pure entertainment (or distraction?). Many times a user could have saved themselves long periods of frustration had they found their way here and just asked the community and tapped its collective wisdom.

But I would suggest some separation between this and the goal of making the user interface more streamlined, more immediate, and less overwhelming. I'm personally of the philosophy that clutter is not conducive to prolific creativity. Now sure everyone is different, but I think overall a clear, organized environment is the best starting point for any creative endeavor (and perhaps even in general).

Now in doing this, some will suggest that we have "dumbed down" the interface by removing some functionality. Some of these points are probably valid and some less so. The intent was never to dumb down the interface to appeal to newbs but instead to give creative poeple a more modern, organized and prolific workspace. Sometimes certain options and functionality are no longer relevant in the new paradigm. This can simply take some getting used to. Having said that there are valid points where perhaps too much customization is taken away in the first iteration of the design.

For instance:

1) I think it's arguable that perhaps we should build back some flexibility/customization into the Control Bar.
2) We should re-implement at least some of the color options.
3) Some customization of how the Smart Tool works would be nice.

These are just off the top of my head. I just want to assure everyone that Cakewalk does not have some master plan of making SONAR into a DAW-lite, of making it for the lowest common denominator and sacrificing power for the experienced user. What we strive for is to build an environment that has just the right amount of customization for the power user - in places where it matters - but to also offer a welcoming environment to new users and basically for anyone looking at the blank "canvas" and thinking, "okay I need to get this inspiration down while I'm in the moment".

Personally I think power and simplicity can co-exist in harmony and X1 is the stake in the ground towards that goal.
post edited by Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk] - 2011/01/26 14:21:58

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/26 15:27:09 (permalink)
Brandon,
 You the best!!!

best regards,
mike

Guitarmech111
Max Output Level: -24.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5085
Re:Do we acurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/26 19:25:29 (permalink)
Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk
]

Monkey23

I know that my current Cakewalk dealer has decided not to stock X1 (Producer, Studio, and Essential) but will order it for a customer as a "special order".

Who is your local dealer?

I wish development paid attention to bugs in the forum like you do sales opportunity Brandon.  ;)

Peace,
Conley Shepherd
Joyful Noise Productions
PC config: (Win performance base score = 7.7) ASUS Sabertooth 990 FX -amd fx-8150 - core processor am3+ - 32G Corsair 1066 DDR3 - PNY GTX670 2g gddr5 - Corsair Force SSD 120G - Samsung 750G SATA drives - WD 1tb Black (Audio files) - WD 2TB for storage - RME UFX - USB ASIO 2/2016 drivers Win8 

Without a mess, there is no message
A1MixMan
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1706
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/26 19:25:49 (permalink)

For instance:

1) I think it's arguable that perhaps we should build back some flexibility/customization into the Control Bar.

Hey Brandon, those are my top 3 as well. Here's my veiw on each one. Glad to hear we have similar ideas. X1 is great and will be even better as these types of issues get sorted out. Keep up the great work everyone!

1) Custom Control Bar Module. 1 to 9 buttons (looks like the Screenset Module kind of) that I can assign by right clicking them and selecting ANY option in X1. Assign 1 as the "save" button and 2 as the "undo" button, and 3 as anything in any menu or any option available. Mouseover the number to see the "Friendly Name" we've assigned to it. Don't limit the options. Let us color code them for easy recall of what they are. Let us change the number to a letter or symbol. Only the buttons that have assignments to them show up in the module.

2) I don't see why there even IS a restriction on the color options. This one is easy. Let me change any color of any object in X1. There are millions of eyes out there looking at X1 everyday. Don't pretend to know how each person sees colors and which color scheme is best for them. If I we're almost blind I wouldn't be able to use X1 as it is now. But if I could change ANY object to ANY color I bet I would be able to use it at least some. Think about that. Standardization is great for some things, but not in this case.

3) I think having an undo button in the smart tool would be a great idea. Or maybe even 1 customizable button kind of like in the Custom Control Bar Module above.

I hope some of this is included in X1b, can't wait.

post edited by A1MixMan - 2011/01/26 19:47:55

A1
groovey1
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 288
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/26 20:05:06 (permalink)
A1MixMan

For instance:

Hey Brandon, those are my top 3 as well. . . . 

These would be great enhancements ... glad to hear you're thinking this way. If there was also some sizing considerations for us laptop users, that would be awesome!

stratman70
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3044
Re:Do we acurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/26 21:05:14 (permalink)
trimph1

Why not both and other things as well?

I am just as perplexed at how this has unfolded. How many are actually having issues? And, if not, why? How about the one's who look at this forum, just lurking...and wondering what would happen if they had issues, or are having issues?

What if those with no issues stayed away from arguing that point and just tried to assist those who had issues? 

I'd really love to see what the actual breakdown is between those with issues and those without...could it be that the software is, in fact, the problem....and that those of us without issues are just plain lucky...?

I don't think so (your last sentence. I have a pretty good Idea why I have no real issues besides not learning enough about X1. It's because I do not use AudioSnap, V Vocal, etc, etc, etc and other plugs and\or techniques used by many here. I am in my home studio, no clients, no pressure.

My Guitars and vocals are live audio recordings but everything else is midi. Mid played by me on my midi controller. Mainly bass and drums.
Many of the issues I've seen or read about here, not just x1a either, are combinations of things I don't use or ways of working I don't practice. It doesn't crash on me any more than 7,8,853.

As I have stated many times in the last few weeks I do return (that's if I leave at all) to 853 every night to record, edit, etc. But not because bugs stop me, but because my lack of how to get around and get things done in X1a is very lacking.
Right now my songs and such are much more important than anything else.

I do also believe we are but a small voice, a whisper in the dark. Doesn't mean we are forgotten, just means we are not as important as we think we are.
Peace....
I for one can live with that.

listen
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 593
Re:Do we acurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/26 22:21:50 (permalink)
@ Brandon

We appreciate it and are looking for it to happen with CW...

- Listen -
FOH Mixer & Recording Studio Manager
Nothing but the grace of God - mggtg.

VS 700C - R / CONSOLE 1 / NEVE PORTICO 5017 / TASCAM UH-7000 / SONAR PLATINUM  / REASON RECORD 9 / VMP 2 / UREI 7110's / UA LA-610 MkII / AUDIENT ASP 880 / CREATION STATION 450 V 5 WINDOWS 10 / HOME 64 - BIT / SKYLAKE CORE i7 (i7 - 6700, 4 CORES/8 THREADS)
rscain
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 784
Re:Do we acurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/26 23:10:12 (permalink)

Well said, stratman, I'm in the same situation almost exactly and I think that's a major reason for my lack of problems with X1; I also was lucky enough to be able to install it on a brand new dedicated pc with nothing else to interfere with the operation. And with the exception of Izotope Ozone and the bbe maximizer I'm using only the plugs that shipped with SONAR. I really feel for all the folks having critical issues and I hope X1b brings them good results. Having clients who depend on you , facing a deadline, and dealing with a lot of crashes and such would be a nightmare, I'm sure.

And thanks for the input Brandon, nice to know you guys are thinking about us.

My Tunes On SoundClick  

AMD FX9350 @4 gHz, 16 gb ram, 240 gb SSD, 2 1Tb SS/Hybrid HDs, 1 Tb Fantom External HD, Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Studio One 4 Pro, Harrison Mixbus, Izotope Neutron 2 Advanced and Ozone 8 Advanced, ARC 2, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, TC-Helicon VoiceLive 3, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Focusrite Octopre MkII, KRK Rokit 8 monitors, Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones, MidiMan Oxygen 8, Behringer X-Touch, guitars and stuff 
stratman70
  • Total Posts : 3044
Re:Do we acurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/26 23:28:35 (permalink)
rscain

Well said, stratman, I'm in the same situation almost exactly and I think that's a major reason for my lack of problems with X1; I also was lucky enough to be able to install it on a brand new dedicated pc with nothing else to interfere with the operation. And with the exception of Izotope Ozone and the bbe maximizer I'm using only the plugs that shipped with SONAR. I really feel for all the folks having critical issues and I hope X1b brings them good results. Having clients who depend on you , facing a deadline, and dealing with a lot of crashes and such would be a nightmare, I'm sure.

And thanks for the input Brandon, nice to know you guys are thinking about us.

I have Ozone, Alloy and Kontakt-pretty common plugs-otherwise all CW also. And still my old relieable M Audio AP2496 (2 synced together) But that will change very soon :-)
I too feel bad for the folks that have issues. I hope all gets fixed for everyone- I deal with other software and networks all day (still freelance as a M$ Cert Tech)-and their is nothing worse than show stopping issues, or just issues period.
I remain optomistic.

Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4951
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/26 23:48:34 (permalink)
Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk
]

mike_mccue

Hi Brandon,

Thank you for you reply and for your having shared some insights with us.

Your comment, that many users you speak with are unaware of the forum, struck a nerve... and I would like to share an response with you.

You have mentioned to me previously that you have met many users, new users, and prospective users, who claim they find SONAR too complicated or too confusing.

I would like to suggest that there may be a correlation here.

Personally I know of no other program that requires as much knowledge to master and fully understand. I guess your direct competitors may be similar... but I don't anything outside of DAW environments that require so much knowledge and experience. A competent DAW operator must know music, acoustics, electronic audio, and basic sound production skills. Furthermore the operator has to have a mind suited to creating something from constituent parts. That's a serious list of qualifications.

I can hack my way around 3D Studio Max and Maya and produce video animation and game interiors. I can edit video in just about any editor. But, honestly I can't think of any other type or category of program that requires so much knowledge to utilize effectively as a DAW. I don't mean that to seem like a bad thing... I think it's great that Cakewalk and a few competitors are pushing the absolute limits of what we may regard as a single "Workstation" application in any field of endeavor.

And so, I wonder if the very people whom you speak to who claim that SONAR is too confusing, cluttered, or complicated are the very people who are not taking advantage of the opportunities to learn here at the Cakewalk forum.

very best regards,
mike

Hi Mike. Lots of good stuff here and I agree that mastering a DAW takes a very special skill set and actually makes it much easier to get by in other kinds of applications - as they often just require a subset of what you need to know to successfully work with a DAW.

I find myself espousing the virtues of the forum to practically every user I meet as an invaluable resource of information, help, and sometimes pure entertainment (or distraction?). Many times a user could have saved themselves long periods of frustration had they found their way here and just asked the community and tapped its collective wisdom.

But I would suggest some separation between this and the goal of making the user interface more streamlined, more immediate, and less overwhelming. I'm personally of the philosophy that clutter is not conducive to prolific creativity. Now sure everyone is different, but I think overall a clear, organized environment is the best starting point for any creative endeavor (and perhaps even in general).

Now in doing this, some will suggest that we have "dumbed down" the interface by removing some functionality. Some of these points are probably valid and some less so. The intent was never to dumb down the interface to appeal to newbs but instead to give creative poeple a more modern, organized and prolific workspace. Sometimes certain options and functionality are no longer relevant in the new paradigm. This can simply take some getting used to. Having said that there are valid points where perhaps too much customization is taken away in the first iteration of the design.

For instance:

These are just off the top of my head. I just want to assure everyone that Cakewalk does not have some master plan of making SONAR into a DAW-lite, of making it for the lowest common denominator and sacrificing power for the experienced user. What we strive for is to build an environment that has just the right amount of customization for the power user - in places where it matters - but to also offer a welcoming environment to new users and basically for anyone looking at the blank "canvas" and thinking, "okay I need to get this inspiration down while I'm in the moment".

Personally I think power and simplicity can co-exist in harmony and X1 is the stake in the ground towards that goal.

1. Make Audio Snap do what it did in 8.5.3
2. Give us back the superior 8.5 quick grouping
3. Give us back the tools that used to be in the TV headers
4. Make the AE more gapless

and if you have time:
clip archiving.

Then....
give us some actual modern tools so we can collaborate with people over the internet. Versioning, a "check out" system, ability to look a t a folder, see what is missing and just add those files. You get the picture.
rjt
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1017
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/27 08:54:46 (permalink)
I think we don't represent most Sonar users at all.  As an example I have a piece of photography software and regularly visit 3 forums about using it.  The 3 forums all have different personalities and offer everything from tips to answers to requests for fixes/features to the hysteric rants (Why did *** ruin my pictures? This software is ****  actual title.)  So at a recent day-long training about the software, with about 40-50 people I asked 8-10 what they thought of the software and everyone said it was great software.  In my photography club several people use the same software I do and they love it as well.  BTW as to Cakewalkites being "more knowledgeable" the photographers in my club and at the training are very serious.  I would call them photography "nuts" (in a good way) with several being professionals and about half of them making at least some money from photography.  If you think it is hard to sell music, try selling photos when everybody has a digital camera.  So I think the majority of people who use Sonar like it and do not bother with this forum. 

Talk is cheap; supply outweighs the demand.

Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people look bright before you hear them speak.

Jerry Jones bought the Dallas Cowboys, Andy Reid owns them!!

g_randybrown
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3522
Re:Do we acurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/27 11:00:27 (permalink)
I also was lucky enough to be able to install it on a brand new dedicated pc with nothing else to interfere with the operation.

I wasn't lucky enough to install on a brand new computer but I did install on a fresh install of Win 7 /64 bit and I believe that makes a difference...nothing to do with luck ...other than something told me it was time to get rid of the junk I had accumulated over the last year before installing

G. Randy Brown 
Windows 10, 64 bit, Platinum
Intel Core i7-3770S
Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
4X8GB Corsair XMS3 memory 
500 GB Crucial BX100 SSD (OS)
two WD Black 1 TB HDD
SAPPHIRE DUAL-X 100314-4L Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 
Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
youtube.com/crystalclearnm
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/27 11:11:07 (permalink)
rjt

I think we don't represent most Sonar users at all.  As an example I have a piece of photography software and regularly visit 3 forums about using it.  The 3 forums all have different personalities and offer everything from tips to answers to requests for fixes/features to the hysteric rants (Why did *** ruin my pictures? This software is ****  actual title.)  So at a recent day-long training about the software, with about 40-50 people I asked 8-10 what they thought of the software and everyone said it was great software.  In my photography club several people use the same software I do and they love it as well.  BTW as to Cakewalkites being "more knowledgeable" the photographers in my club and at the training are very serious.  I would call them photography "nuts" (in a good way) with several being professionals and about half of them making at least some money from photography.  If you think it is hard to sell music, try selling photos when everybody has a digital camera.  So I think the majority of people who use Sonar like it and do not bother with this forum. 

I taught the zone system as a student instructor at my university because my photography professors thought it was too difficult to explain. Luckily 20-30 extra people left the university with knowledge of the zone system. I learned the zone system in high school from a person who enjoyed teaching photography.

Recently I made some inquiries about T factor for SLR lenses and learned that the vast majority of photographers don't acknowledge it's existence.  The subject had come up while I was conversing with a stills guy on a film set... I've personally known that person to be a professional photgrapher, (who owns a 5,000 sf studio) for 15 years but he didn't know about T factor and I was trying to find some reference material for him to review.

What I learned is that many photographers think they know a whole bunch... in a field where there's not that much to know... and are still mesmerized by the idea that the craft is complicated.

IMO, Photography is a very simple craft compared to audio production.

best regards,
mike

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/27 11:45:03 (permalink)
Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base?

All I know is I accurately represent the bass in The CHB.

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/27 11:47:58 (permalink)
mike_mccue

Brandon,
You the best!!!

best regards,
mike

And just what am I McCute? Chopped liver?

Scott Lee
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/27 12:00:43 (permalink)
"I think we don't represent most Sonar users at all"

Where are the data sheets on this?

You know, most people before buying software in this day and age "the age of information" check the forums before a big purchase especially if hardware and software is involved.

Id say, what happens on this forum is incredibly important not only for current Sonar customers, but also future ones.

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
SFX Media 
Song Composer / Engineer / Audio Director

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dezacrator?feature=mhee

derFunkenstein
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 735
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/27 12:11:04 (permalink)
Crg

We are only bits and peices of a whole we have never seen.

That's true on a cosmic scale, as well, I think.  Maybe.  Could be.  Probably not.  Forget it, the analogy sucks.

mike_mccue

IMO, Photography is a very simple craft compared to audio production. 
At first I thought "nah that can't be right", but the more I think about it, the more I agree.  In terms of cost of gear, they can be similar, but in terms of the mechanics of it, that's most likely very true. I'll leave the "artistry" alone, though I think it takes less effort to "do" photography as well.  

post edited by derFunkenstein - 2011/01/27 12:16:30

King Ben of Nopantsville
Brandon Ryan [Roland]
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/27 13:31:37 (permalink)
10Ten

This should be in X1b
What's better about the 8.5 QG functionality?
Which tools do you miss?
Considering the discussion in another thread I'd be surprised if this isn't something we'll be looking at.

and if you have time:
clip archiving.
Can you explain?

Then....
give us some actual modern tools so we can collaborate with people over the internet. Versioning, a "check out" system, ability to look a t a folder, see what is missing and just add those files. You get the picture.
Would definitley be cool.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/27 13:41:09 (permalink)
Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk
]

10Ten

This should be in X1b
Which tools do you miss?
Considering the discussion in another thread I'd be surprised if this isn't something we'll be looking at.

and if you have time:
clip archiving.
Can you explain?

Then....

QG in 8.5 was easy and persistent. Once the group was created nothing else had to be done to use the groups controls. YOu also cold select and work with other tracks as the group stayed. All better than X1.

Clip archiving: Let's say you are recording drums and you do 4 takes. Now you have 4 lanes of recording sitting on 15 tracks. That is 60 wav files in your memory. In previous Sonar versions the only options available were to delete or move things to archive takes and remove them from memory until they were edited comped. I would like to see the ability to just right click on a take/clip or even a selection group and archive it. Should be easy to do as the functionality already exists in Sonar and it would allow the removal of unneeded clips from RAM making the audio engine run smoother and be less prone to drop outs. Two birds. One stone.

Then when that is done....
Remove muted clips from RAM like every version of Logic has done.
ba_midi
  • Total Posts : 14061
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/27 13:47:24 (permalink)
bapu

Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base?

All I know is I accurately represent the bass in The CHB.

Base?

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
Brandon Ryan [Roland]
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/27 13:54:41 (permalink)
10Ten

Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk
]

10Ten

This should be in X1b
Which tools do you miss?

and if you have time:
clip archiving.
Can you explain?

Then....

QG in 8.5 was easy and persistent. Once the group was created nothing else had to be done to use the groups controls. YOu also cold select and work with other tracks as the group stayed. All better than X1.
Quick Groups only require you to hold CTRL when using them and selecting QGs in 8.5 required using those very tiny and very fiddly corners on the tracks, that most poeple had no idea were even there. Slecting them us much easier in X1 IMO. And QGs were never really intended to act as permanent or semi-permanant groups. However, we can probably find a way to create a happy medium that will satisfy the best of both worlds.

Clip archiving: Let's say you are recording drums and you do 4 takes. Now you have 4 lanes of recording sitting on 15 tracks. That is 60 wav files in your memory. In previous Sonar versions the only options available were to delete or move things to archive takes and remove them from memory until they were edited comped. I would like to see the ability to just right click on a take/clip or even a selection group and archive it. Should be easy to do as the functionality already exists in Sonar and it would allow the removal of unneeded clips from RAM making the audio engine run smoother and be less prone to drop outs. Two birds. One stone.

These files would be streaming from the drive and not in RAM unless they are Groove Clips.

Muted clips still play (albeit unheard) but they stream from disc and shouldn't reside in RAM.

Either way, archiving clips could be a cool thing, but I think as drives and computers are faster it makes less reasonable sense to do so as time and technology marches on.

djjhart@aol.com
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2189
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/27 14:56:50 (permalink)
Cakewalk does not have some master plan of making SONAR into a DAW-lite, of making it for the lowest common denominator and sacrificing power for the experienced user. What we strive for is to build an environment that has just the right amount of customization for the power user - in places where it matters - but to also offer a welcoming environment to new users and basically for anyone looking at the blank "canvas" and thinking, "okay I need to get this inspiration down while I'm in the moment".

Thats What I wanna Hear!!! Hell yeah!!!!

Computer - Intel Q9550, Intel BX48bt2 MB, W8 64 bit. 8 gb Ram, SSD  
Hardware - Tascam Fw1884 Control surface only, Ni S49 Komplete Kontroll,Roland Quad Capture, Ni Machine,Kore, Focusrite A/D converter, Blue Mic, Roland Gaia, Akai Mpk49, Yamaha HS80 Monitors.
Software - Sonar Platinum , Vengeance VPS bundle,Sugar Bytes Effectrix, Turnado, NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Dune, Rob Papen  Blade , Delay, Punch Evolved.
 http://soundcloud.com/johnhartson/tracks  
 http://www.youtube.com/user/jhart1313 

Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/27 15:01:03 (permalink)
Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk
]

10Ten

Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk
]

10Ten

This should be in X1b
Which tools do you miss?

and if you have time:
clip archiving.
Can you explain?

Then....

Quick Groups only require you to hold CTRL when using them and selecting QGs in 8.5 required using those very tiny and very fiddly corners on the tracks, that most poeple had no idea were even there. Slecting them us much easier in X1 IMO. And QGs were never really intended to act as permanent or semi-permanant groups. However, we can probably find a way to create a happy medium that will satisfy the best of both worlds.

These files would be streaming from the drive and not in RAM unless they are Groove Clips.

Muted clips still play (albeit unheard) but they stream from disc and shouldn't reside in RAM.

Either way, archiving clips could be a cool thing, but I think as drives and computers are faster it makes less reasonable sense to do so as time and technology marches on.

If all that is true why do Sonar projects take up 500 and 600 MB of RAM for audio only projects? Whereever they are being streamed from, there is no reason for them to be there if they are muted. CPUS and Drives are fast enough to find them and stream them from a disc after they are unmuted. I don't think anyone would complain about a couple of ms of lag on unmute. If muting took the clip out the stream (which makes sense on a DVD or Bluray because there is no ability to seek the additional file) there would be no need to "archive" them as they would already be "archived" from a streaming perspective. All I know is that even on a powerful computer as you get 3 or 4 drum takes done, Sonar becomes more an more fidgety. If the clip group could be right clicked and archived (or simply auto muted as the new takes was started) it would expand the usability of Sonar as a tracker by 100%.
...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/27 15:05:14 (permalink)
Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk
]

I would think with this er, lets call it a mantra, that it would be extremely obvious that returning some customization features would be required. No one design is going to please everyone, and the more advanced of a user you are, the more you want to tweak your environment for your purposes and mindset.

Generally the responses from Bakers on this forum when questions about returning a customization feature come up are along the lines of "but it was designed that way to make it easier." If you think about that answer for any of time you realize it's a terrible one. 

I'll easily forgive Cake pulling somewhat of a unified design experiment on us. It was a good move to make, the result is mostly quite excellent, and it was a big move to make. But now gobs and gobs of feedback have appeared on this forum from pro users who are trying to put X1 at the heart of their businesses and workstations...feedback that is invaluable for tracking how all of these little tweaks work. I think it would gravely remiss of Cake to let these slip by this time and not be actively incorporating many of them into how to "split the difference" between a pretty, unified UI and a power-users workstation.

Without even having to comb the forum, we already know that colors, interface size, control bar modules, bi-directional drag and drop, narrow console view strips, and snap settings are all hot spots where users have expressed wanting some tweak to the X1 workflow. I would be a little disappointed if these weren't all being actively looked at for some updating.

And that's just from glancing at the hot topics on the forum day to day. I would think a company interested in seriously bringing their design forward by using broad spectrum user-feedback data would be dilligently and egolessly collecting information and willing to tweak their design. 

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
D K
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1237
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/27 15:14:22 (permalink)
Brandon,

I just want to say something to you (it might sound like a backhanded compliment and maybe that is as it should be)... but I want to commend you.. I am in the process of learning another DAW and have said as much on this forum but you and you alone are the only one I see from Cakewalk that even remotely reminds me of what a great company Cakewalk has been and what a great piece of software Sonar has been up to this point..

It is very cool to see you interact with this board - WITHOUT SEEMING TO BE IN A DEFENSIVE POSTURE REGARDING X1 and whatever criticisms/ praises it is receiving..

I for one think it is very refreshing regarding this release...might I suggest your colleagues take a look at how you are interacting with people on this board and maybe glean a little bit from it? In my opinion... if they did so we might see a little more patience and less "emotion" from some quarters of the user base...

Understand how hard you guys have worked.. just think you are taking the right approach (passionate but open minded) with your communications and you should be "publicly" commended...and maybe your colleagues should take notes ;0)

Peace 

www.ateliersound.com

ADK Custom  I7-2600 K
Win 7 64bit /8 Gig Ram/WD-Seagate Drives(x3)
Sonar 8.5.3 (32bit)/Sonar X3b(64bit)/Pro Tools 9
Lavry Blue/Black Lion Audio Mod Tango 24/RME Hammerfall Multiface II/UAD Duo

ba_midi
  • Total Posts : 14061
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/27 15:42:20 (permalink)
Brandon, I just want to say something to you (it might sound like a backhanded compliment and maybe that is as it should be)... but I want to commend you.. I am in the process of learning another DAW and have said as much on this forum but you and you alone are the only one I see from Cakewalk that even remotely reminds me of what a great company Cakewalk has been and what a great piece of software Sonar has been up to this point.. It is very cool to see you interact with this board - WITHOUT SEEMING TO BE IN A DEFENSIVE POSTURE REGARDING X1 and whatever criticisms/ praises it is receiving..

DK,

I just want to add that I wholeheartedly agree with that statement - AND - I would go so far as to say they should make Brandon the Product Manager! ;)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
tarsier
  • Total Posts : 3029
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/27 15:48:06 (permalink)
Brandon: Which tools do you miss?

-The invert polarity button.

-The interleave button. why do I need to pop open the inspector to access those buttons? More steps, more eye moving, reduced 'flow'.  What was so wrong about them being in the header? Sure, leave them out if you must to reduce 'clutter' for the new user, but give me the option to have them if I want them. Isn't that what the widget/track control manager is for?

-Enough room in the text fields and FX bin to see the info.  See the difference:

yorolpal
  • Total Posts : 13829
Re:Do we accurately represent the Sonar user base? 2011/01/27 15:52:35 (permalink)
You know that graphic above is mighty telling there tarsier, ol pal.  I bet if a feller or gal was shown those two views without ever having seen either and asked to pick which was more useful, informative and, yes, better that the 8.5 version would get picked the most.  Just bettin.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1