Helpful ReplyDo you still enjoy the music without analyzing?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Do you still enjoy the music without analyzing? 2018/11/26 08:06:15 (permalink)

Kenny
post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2018/11/27 10:12:50

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

kennywtelejazz
Re: Do you still enjoy the music without analyzing? 2018/11/26 08:24:19 (permalink)
We interrupt this pseudo cowboy saloon fight to feature a Heavy Metal Song

Did your analytical mind let you just listen to the song ?
Or did you get distracted at times by the eye candy  ? 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

jyoung60
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 914
Re: Do you still enjoy the music without analyzing? 2018/11/26 14:48:07 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz

I was gonna walk away and let this one go but then I decided not too...

<snip ad naseum>

...It is a slippery slope my man

Kenny

I'm not even gonna respond to that.

oh wait...

DAW: Cakewalk by Bandlab (latest version) - x64
VST: Roland Sound Canvas VA
Hardware: Roland MC50mkII Sequencer; Yamaha DGX-660 keyboard; Steinberg UR-44 Interface
Wayfarer
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 831
Re: Do you still enjoy the music without analyzing? 2018/11/26 18:20:29 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jyoung60 2018/11/26 20:37:27
Ken, I think he was joking, indicating that she was such a knockout that he couldn't take his eyes off her long enough to read what you were saying. I may be wrong, but that's all I thought when i read that.

Bill
Wayfarer
Re: Do you still enjoy the music without analyzing? 2018/11/26 18:23:45 (permalink)
Well never mind. I can't tell who's kidding or who isn't anymore.

jyoung60
Re: Do you still enjoy the music without analyzing? 2018/11/26 20:35:52 (permalink)
Wayfarer
Ken, I think he was joking, indicating that she was such a knockout that he couldn't take his eyes off her long enough to read what you were saying. I may be wrong, but that's all I thought when i read that.

Bill

^^This.

Kinda thought it would be obvious, but then I'm not sure if Ken's reply was 100% serious or some sort of satirical thing, or a combination of both.  Either way, I didn't go back to bed in a fetal position, so it's a good day. lol

Hardware: Roland MC50mkII Sequencer; Yamaha DGX-660 keyboard; Steinberg UR-44 Interface
Wayfarer
Re: Do you still enjoy the music without analyzing? 2018/11/26 21:02:18 (permalink)
jyoung60
I'm not sure if Ken's reply was 100% serious or some sort of satirical thing, or a combination of both.

Yeah, me too. That's why I left that second message.
ØSkald
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1248
Re: Do you still enjoy the music without analyzing? 2018/11/26 21:35:07 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz
We interrupt this pseudo cowboy saloon fight to feature a Heavy Metal Song

Did your analytical mind let you just listen to the song ?
Or did you get distracted at times by the eye candy  ? 

Kenny

Is that on of the daughters of Ozzy? Reminds me of Ozzy, just younger. 

Asus TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, Bugera Trirec Infinium, Cakewalk Platinum, Corsair RM750 750W, Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB, Genelec 6010A with 5040A sub, Ibanez AEG10II BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27E BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR28FE BK, Ibanez RG550 RF, Ibanez RG570 FMCS, Ibanez SR506 BM, Intel Core i7 8700K, USB, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate with Kontrol S61, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD, Samsung SSDs 840 EVO 1TB, Toontrack EZdrummer 2, Toontrack EZMix 2, Toontrack Superior Drummer 3, UA Apollo Twin Duo, Windows 10 Pro
kennywtelejazz
Re: Do you still enjoy the music without analyzing? 2018/11/27 10:31:12 (permalink)
Wayfarer

Bill

Hi Bill ,
You are right I missed that

Oh well ...thanks for pointing that out .

jyoung60
Wayfarer

Bill

^^This.

Kinda thought it would be obvious, but then I'm not sure if Ken's reply was 100% serious or some sort of satirical thing, or a combination of both.  Either way, I didn't go back to bed in a fetal position, so it's a good day. lol

Hello jyoung60 ,

I'm sorry for saying the things I said too you . I assumed incorrectly what you intent was in your posts .
In my real life things have not been going well for me lately .
I know it's no excuse but I have to find a better way to deal with the pressure so this type of thing won't happen again .
If it any consolation too you , if I run across myself in a dark alley I will punch that guy in the mouth for the things he said to you ..

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Wayfarer
Re: Do you still enjoy the music without analyzing? 2018/11/27 14:17:21 (permalink)
I've done the same thing . . . lots of times. Forgive and forget everybody. Life's too short to carry grudges.
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Do you still enjoy the music without analyzing? 2018/11/27 14:34:39 (permalink)
michael diemer
Mostly I just listen. I figure the music will percolate into my brain anyway. I think a lot of learning actually occurs when we're not thinking about it. If you have a musical brain, the analytical part is always active, even if you're not conscious of it at the time. So, you can enyoy it with the right hemisphere, and the left hemisphere will still do its thing anyway on it's own. I don't think you should be obsessive about analyzing, too much of that could ruin your ability to appreciate it.

What he said. Nothing to add to it for me.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

jyoung60
Re: Do you still enjoy the music without analyzing? 2018/11/27 15:49:06 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz
Hello jyoung60 ,

I'm sorry for saying the things I said too you . I assumed incorrectly what you intent was in your posts .
I know it's no excuse but I have to find a better way to deal with the pressure so this type of thing won't happen again .
If it any consolation too you , if I run across myself in a dark alley I will punch that guy in the mouth for the things he said to you ..

Kenny

Apology accepted. No hard feelings. Life gets to us all in varying degrees. The best part about this is your willingness to own it and fix it. That's what being a real human is all about.  

Oh, and don't punch that guy - give him a hug. Pretty sure he could use it.

michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: Do you still enjoy the music without analyzing? 2018/11/27 18:36:23 (permalink)
A beautiful woman lasts a few years, then her beauty fades. Sad. Fortunately, music lasts forever.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Do you still enjoy the music without analyzing? 2018/11/27 19:19:16 (permalink)
michael diemer
A beautiful woman lasts a few years, then her beauty fades. Sad. Fortunately, music lasts forever.

Real beauty never fades.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
kennywtelejazz
Re: Do you still enjoy the music without analyzing? 2018/11/28 12:55:23 (permalink)
jyoung60
kennywtelejazz
Hello jyoung60 ,

Kenny

Apology accepted. No hard feelings. Life gets to us all in varying degrees. The best part about this is your willingness to own it and fix it. That's what being a real human is all about.  

Oh, and don't punch that guy - give him a hug. Pretty sure he could use it.

Your a good sport

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

eph221
Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4665
Re: Do you still enjoy the music without analyzing? 2018/11/28 20:31:44 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz
OK boys and girls .
Is music like           ? they say  there's no such thing as bad        you fill in the blank

Kenny

Michael Jackson Lives!

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
 Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

kennywtelejazz
Re: Do you still enjoy the music without analyzing? 2018/11/28 21:09:24 (permalink)
eph221
kennywtelejazz
OK boys and girls .
Is music like           ? they say  there's no such thing as bad        you fill in the blank

Kenny

Michael Jackson Lives!

Well , It may be time to spill the beans on her and how she came to find a special space in my orbit .

This years Thanksgiving was rather humble for me and almost completely lonely with the exception of a couple of key details .
My first order of thanks was Duke finally escaped the clutches of a sarcastic spell Nazi that had held him hostage  at knife point and forced him  to repeat canned unimaginative phrases while wearing a plastic green Saint Patrick's Derby . 

He was definitely thank full to be back home with me . 

When Thanksgiving day did arrive Duke and I were safe from the wolf at the door ...all my stuff was taken care of before hand since that's the way I roll . We did have a little on tap , not enough to put a dent in a Larry deal thread but enough to get by if need be .
Cooking wise I didn't put out this year at all so while I was eating my Thanksgiving salami sandwich I went on Google and Googled " Exotic Woman from Turkey " 
And that there folks is the story of where she came from ...
At least I had paid homage to Thanksgiving Turkey in some sort of a special way before I realized I had become the Turkey  

Kenny

PS , It is my understanding that when a person reaches a certain age age there is no such thing as having " cough " bad Sex.
(I so pose that one rings true  as long as a person is  living free with choices they have chosen and not confined to being roommates w Bubba  )
The question has been put forth ...Is there such a thing as bad music ? or does a person decide that one for themselves based on their Bias's and personal preferences ? If so is not the analytical mind nothing more than a gatekeeper ?

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Wayfarer
Re: Do you still enjoy the music without analyzing? 2018/11/29 02:49:36 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz
The question has been put forth ...Is there such a thing as bad music ? or does a person decide that one for themselves based on their Bias's and personal preferences ? If so is not the analytical mind nothing more than a gatekeeper ?

I think ALL things are quantifiable. Us Earthlings are just way too unintelligent to figure out the rules of the game more often than not. For instance, no one in his right mind would say that the sounds a cat makes when he walks across the piano keys is great music. Obviously it can't compare to a Chopin piano sonata. Going up the scale a bit, no one (and again I emphasize in their right minds) would think a composition written by someone who's only been playing for a single day could compare to something by a 20 year musician.

Some of those quantifying factors are easy to see. Intonation, playing a note solid rather than just catching a piece of it (as we guitarists are so often guilty of doing), timing etc. But even when all those things are all perfectly fine in any given piece, there are mysterious things in music we can perceive instinctively that are good or bad, better or worse than another piece of music. For example, how hard or simple a piece of music is to play has no bearing on how good or bad the piece is. You could write an incredibly complex piece that no one would want to hear and a very simple piece that most people really like. And to top it off, we quite often don't even know why a simple piece written by a beginner is not even close to being as good as a simple piece written by Bach. Both are simple. Things like the timing and intonation may be right on the money with both. Yet we ALL instinctively know the Bach piece is terrific and the beginner's piece isn't. But we don't know why. Our senses can perceive greatness, but our brains don't understand it.

What a world.

Bill
jyoung60
Re: Do you still enjoy the music without analyzing? 2018/11/29 04:12:45 (permalink)
Okay..... once again my reply, which I posted hours ago, has disappeared.  Can a moderator check the spam trap and see if it's there? jeez....

ØSkald
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1248
Re: Do you still enjoy the music without analyzing? 2018/11/29 20:43:30 (permalink)
Wayfarer
kennywtelejazz

I think ALL things are quantifiable. Us Earthlings are just way too unintelligent to figure out the rules of the game more often than not. For instance, no one in his right mind would say that the sounds a cat makes when he walks across the piano keys is great music. Obviously it can't compare to a Chopin piano sonata. Going up the scale a bit, no one (and again I emphasize in their right minds) would think a composition written by someone who's only been playing for a single day could compare to something by a 20 year musician.

Some of those quantifying factors are easy to see. Intonation, playing a note solid rather than just catching a piece of it (as we guitarists are so often guilty of doing), timing etc. But even when all those things are all perfectly fine in any given piece, there are mysterious things in music we can perceive instinctively that are good or bad, better or worse than another piece of music. For example, how hard or simple a piece of music is to play has no bearing on how good or bad the piece is. You could write an incredibly complex piece that no one would want to hear and a very simple piece that most people really like. And to top it off, we quite often don't even know why a simple piece written by a beginner is not even close to being as good as a simple piece written by Bach. Both are simple. Things like the timing and intonation may be right on the money with both. Yet we ALL instinctively know the Bach piece is terrific and the beginner's piece isn't. But we don't know why. Our senses can perceive greatness, but our brains don't understand it.

What a world.

Bill

No words needed really. LOL

Asus TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, Bugera Trirec Infinium, Cakewalk Platinum, Corsair RM750 750W, Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB, Genelec 6010A with 5040A sub, Ibanez AEG10II BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27E BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR28FE BK, Ibanez RG550 RF, Ibanez RG570 FMCS, Ibanez SR506 BM, Intel Core i7 8700K, USB, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate with Kontrol S61, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD, Samsung SSDs 840 EVO 1TB, Toontrack EZdrummer 2, Toontrack EZMix 2, Toontrack Superior Drummer 3, UA Apollo Twin Duo, Windows 10 Pro
Wayfarer
Re: Do you still enjoy the music without analyzing? 2018/11/29 23:14:32 (permalink)
Oh my gosh.  I've seen the video of that cat before, but I've never seen it put with an orchestra. That's hilarious. They sure did a great job with that. Thanks man.

Bill
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: Do you still enjoy the music without analyzing? 2018/12/04 18:22:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2018/12/04 18:38:06
I'm thinking I may need to visit Turkey.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
kennywtelejazz
Re: Do you still enjoy the music without analyzing? 2018/12/04 18:43:39 (permalink)
Yeah I was gonna mention I have seen Cat and pet videos where they walk on keyboards and knock over musical instruments and  stuff and they get hundreds of thousands of views .All w out an Orchestra to boot 
I guess I just ain't cute or furry enough for some people none of my videos have broke 5 thousand

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: Do you still enjoy the music without analyzing? 2018/12/04 19:46:26 (permalink)
michaelhanson
I'm thinking I may need to visit Turkey.

I'm sure he'd enjoy that but I think he prefers to be called bapuandorEd.

I am not certain though.

;-)
eph221
Re: Do you still enjoy the music without analyzing? 2018/12/04 20:09:08 (permalink)
I think if one has been through a music school of some sorts, he or she or *they* are more apt to feel there is an objective standard of beauty, of what is good.  When they get out to the real world they realize that it's more subjective and there's an honest to goodness place for everyone.  Especially now that one can upload a song and have it heard just about anywhere in the world.  Why diss?

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: Do you still enjoy the music without analyzing? 2018/12/05 12:27:16 (permalink)
I'd be willing to bet on that the vast majority of top 40 hits generated through the 60's, 70's and 80's where written by folks that did not go to music school.

I think that it is more of a willingness to notice what works and is most popular.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
eph221
Re: Do you still enjoy the music without analyzing? 2018/12/06 18:59:38 (permalink)
What's good and beautiful isn't always popular.  Also, at least in the states most kids used to get music education in the schools.  Not much anymore.  Now we see the results!!!  Haha.

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: Do you still enjoy the music without analyzing? 2018/12/06 21:04:10 (permalink)
eph221
What's good and beautiful isn't always popular.  Also, at least in the states most kids used to get music education in the schools.  Not much anymore.  Now we see the results!!!  Haha.

Yep. And unfortunately hear them as well, as we walk through stores and are assaulted by the garbage that passes for music these days.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Do you still enjoy the music without analyzing? 2018/12/06 21:50:56 (permalink)
michael diemer
eph221

Yep. And unfortunately hear them as well, as we walk through stores and are assaulted by the garbage that passes for music these days.

There is more brilliant music 'these days' than ever before. You have to listen in different places, that's all.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
eph221
Re: Do you still enjoy the music without analyzing? 2018/12/06 22:04:56 (permalink)
jamesg1213
michael diemer
eph221

There is more brilliant music 'these days' than ever before. You have to listen in different places, that's all.

we both assumed we just meant popular music re michael's comment.  In other words, what's popular isn't necessarily good and beautiful.  You're right about there being incredible creativity with respect to music right now.

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1