Helpful ReplyDoes Waves fabricate their customer reviews?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Fleer
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8715
Re: Does Waves fabricate their customer reviews? 2017/07/24 22:25:39 (permalink)
I'm going with SoundOnSound and SoundBytesMag for reviews. Never duped.

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
TimatWaves
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Does Waves fabricate their customer reviews? 2017/07/25 17:42:28 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cclarry 2017/07/25 17:57:24
sharke
I've always been on the skeptical side when it comes to any on-site reviews hosted by the same company who makes the product. I mean they have 100% control over the reviews which appear, and can even spin them from whole cloth without ever having to answer for it. 

The Waves site is a classic example. I look through the product reviews and it's all glowing 5-star reports across the board. And a lot of them don't even sound believable - for instance, who leaves a review like "Love you guys, can't live without my Waves plugins, everything you make adds life and sparkle to my tracks"? Even though you can't quite put your finger on why that sounds fake, there's no denying that it does. 

Just wondering if anyone actually buys these write-ups. 

Reviews on the Waves website are voluntary.   The "Verified Buyer" next to each person who reviews indicates they have an active Waves account with purchased and registered licenses. Waves is fortunate enough to have a large enough user base that not only enjoy our products, but like to talk about them.  While not all reviews will resonate with everyone, they are genuine. 

Keep in mind, Waves offers 7 day demos on all of our products. While it is a nice resource to see other user's opinions, it's not necessary to take someone else's word on the quality. Only you truly know what works best for your workflow and projects.

Have a great day everyone!

Tim Holbert
Waves

Eddie TX
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1104
Re: Does Waves fabricate their customer reviews? 2017/07/25 18:07:34 (permalink)
Another zombie post -- forum is wack.
post edited by Eddie TX - 2017/07/27 17:56:25

Sonar X3 Producer / Win 10 
The future exists in all directions.
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Does Waves fabricate their customer reviews? 2017/07/25 18:14:57 (permalink)
Just goes to show vendors (and competition) do read these forums...

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Eddie TX
Re: Does Waves fabricate their customer reviews? 2017/07/25 18:20:05 (permalink)
Thanks to Tim for responding to the conspiracy-mongering in this thread.

Cheers,
Eddie

Eddie TX
Re: Does Waves fabricate their customer reviews? 2017/07/25 18:28:51 (permalink)
zombie post
post edited by Eddie TX - 2017/07/25 22:40:53

Eddie TX
Re: Does Waves fabricate their customer reviews? 2017/07/25 18:29:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dcumpian 2017/07/25 18:57:20
kitekrazy1I don't know of any company that allows negative reviews on their sites.

Universal Audio does, and to a fault at times. When their updated Neve 88RS channel strip came out, an army of trolls flooded its review section with 1-star ratings, for no other reason than they didn't like the price. That's not a review, and the plugin's average rating -- clearly shown next to its listing in the store as with all UAD plugins -- suffered unfairly. Everyone already knows that UAD plugs are expensive, and this one was no more pricey than similar plugins in UAD's lineup.

At first, UA didn't want to do anything about the trolls, saying that deleting them would compromise the integrity of the reviews. But after some user forum comments making the point that it was the trolls who were compromising the ratings, they finally went and got rid of the obvious fakery.

Anyway, UA's customer reviews are among the most helpful I've seen. Sites where everything gets uniform raves don't help me much. But always, the point that any review should be taken with a grain of salt can't be emphasized enough, as everyone's tastes, ears, systems, rooms, and moods vary.

It's best to take note of comments from known trusted reviewers, and then DEMO PRODUCTS YOURSELF before buying.

Cheers,
Eddie

tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Does Waves fabricate their customer reviews? 2017/07/25 21:12:52 (permalink)
paulo
My favourite ever amazon review (for Fire tv stick)...

That's a good one. Seems like time to post once again the classic reviews of Audioquest's K2 Terminated Speaker Cable, a product long discontinued in favour of a yet more expensive waste of money... like a $1500 6 foot HDMI cable...

An example -
"We live underground. We speak with our hands. We wear the earplugs all our lives.

PLEASE! You must listen! We cannot maintain the link for long... I will type as fast as I can.

DO NOT USE THE CABLES!

We were fools, fools to develop such a thing! Sound was never meant to be this clear, this pure, this... accurate. For a few short days, we marveled. Then the... whispers... began.

Were they Aramaic? Hyperborean? Some even more ancient tongue, first spoken by elder races under the red light of dying suns far from here? We do not know, but somehow, slowly... we began to UNDERSTAND.

No, no, please! I don't want to remember! YOU WILL NOT MAKE ME REMEMBER! I saw brave men claw their own eyes out... oh, god, the screaming... the mobs of feral children feasting on corpses, the shadows MOVING, the fires burning in the air! The CHANTING!

WHY CAN'T I FORGET THE WORDS???

We live underground. We speak with our hands. We wear the earplugs all our lives.

Do not use the cables!"

And plenty more where that came from -
https://www.amazon.com/Au...bmissionDateDescending

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Does Waves fabricate their customer reviews? 2017/07/25 21:21:49 (permalink)
dmbaer
With music (CDs) it's harder because someone may be perfectly excellent at communicating their opinions but happen to like a type of music that you cannot stand.

I think it helps if the reviews are written by "regulars" so that you can get a feel over time for what the reviewer likes and therefore whether you are likely to or not. Back in the late 70s/early 80s I discovered a lot of music by basing what I bought on reviews in the New Musical Express. I found if Mick Farren and/or Charles Shaar Murray liked a record or band I probably would as well. These days there's so much article churning, uninformed opinion and straightforward plagiarism on the interenet I'm not sure that kind of principle is still useful....

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
BenMMusTech
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2606
Re: Does Waves fabricate their customer reviews? 2017/07/25 21:39:56 (permalink)
interpolated
Be that as it may, you should evaluate the product and make your own mind up. A product is only as good as the person uses it for. I trialled the Brauer Motion and whilst it was interesting as an effect...it's not something I would reach for over anything else.

There are plenty other companies out there with decent products. Waves realised this and created a sale which seems to have worked. I think though the best effects I personally have used are by Universal Audio and TC Electronic which essentially require hardware to use however fair enough.

Also with products like Harrison 32C console mixer (Mixbus) available now, could this be another outlet for musicians to finely craft their sound?

This is because you probably don't understand the options of the effect. Beyond the prescribed use of the plug, you can use the plug to create spatial mixes...think when a mix is too dense, by using the plug in stationary mode you can place an instrument at the far side of the stereo field, or you can change the height of the instrument...even depth. This is the problem with all these plugins...you actually have to invest time in learning how to use them.

And no I'm not a waves ambassador lol.

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
http://1331.space/
https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
interpolated
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
Re: Does Waves fabricate their customer reviews? 2017/07/25 22:03:17 (permalink)

I just wasn't wowed by the effect.  Anyway I was aware of what it does and watched the videos by Brauer himself on how to use it.  So anyway I used it on some Taiko drums and something else like a noise sweep. It's a subtle effect but can be use less subtle. 

So I sort of understand what it does although not fully yet and I might look at buying at some point. Just isn't a priority for me as I want to get more plug-ins to do with premastering at the moment.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Does Waves fabricate their customer reviews? 2017/07/25 22:22:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby pathos 2017/07/27 15:19:41
Eddie TX

Cheers,
Eddie

Amen to that!!

And you can take some of the respondents remarks in this thread with a grain of salt, or perhaps a truck load of salt, especially the one(s) who have a loooooooooong track record over the years of having an agenda and being very negatively biased when it comes to Waves, and vocally anti Waves at every opportunity.

Always demo stuff and find out for yourself, it is the only way.

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

interpolated
Re: Does Waves fabricate their customer reviews? 2017/07/25 23:26:11 (permalink)
Just for the record I have purchased a few Waves plug-ins recently. Mainly EQ, analogue modelling like AR J37 Tape, VEQ (Neve) . I don't think I'm anti-waves at all just don't think everybody should be so forced into having the same opinion.

I have computer stuff.

Fleer
  • Total Posts : 8715
Re: Does Waves fabricate their customer reviews? 2017/07/25 23:34:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cclarry 2017/07/26 00:14:17
Eddie TX

Cheers,
Eddie

Nice of him to visit. Personally love Waves plugins but deeply dislike WUP.

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Does Waves fabricate their customer reviews? 2017/07/26 02:28:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mesh 2017/07/26 13:51:59
Thumbs up to Waves for joining in the discussion.  And for making some great products. 

So now the next time someone points out that SONAR isn't a major DAW, Cake can say, "Well, Waves is watching, so ...." ;-)

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: Does Waves fabricate their customer reviews? 2017/07/26 09:43:58 (permalink)
Thanks Tim for joining the discussion. Helps out around here.

I love my Waves plugins. Can't say anything bad about WUP. Never used it.

Reviews, I do read them and just like opinions, I listen to what I want!

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
Zargg
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: Does Waves fabricate their customer reviews? 2017/07/26 10:49:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Klaus 2017/07/26 22:24:20
Hi. I agree with Grem (Michael) here. Cool to have Waves here, chiming in.
I haven't used WUP, so can't say anything (at all) about it.
Great plugins!

As far as reviews go.
There are probably as many opinions as user. But which group of users write reviews? The ones with positive experience, or those with bad ones?
I seldom write negative reviews, as I usually just stop using plugins I don't like, and move on to something else.
Those plugins are usually easily forgotten in my head.
Only my opinion, of course.
All the best

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

emeraldsoul
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1858
Re: Does Waves fabricate their customer reviews? 2017/07/26 13:27:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cclarry 2017/07/26 14:24:22
BassDaddy
Journalists using the Internet as a source (that's not Journalism!)
News coming at you all day long
And everyone has an agenda
EVERYONE has their own spin
Everything you read should be taken with a grain of salt
You better be able to sift through the BS
You better be able to look out for your own interests
You better be able to think for yourself and make up your own mind

No fair posting excellent song lyrics as thread responses. :)

I do believe that Waves and all companies massage their testimonials. It's called marketing.

Lots of good plug-ins, though, no complaints. They let you try before you buy in most cases, can't ask for fairer than that.

-Tom

A work in regress:
www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
Kilometers Davis - video   audio
Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
The Sweet Slow Fade - video
Zo
Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5036
Re: Does Waves fabricate their customer reviews? 2017/07/26 15:32:14 (permalink)
I will take myself as an exemple ...when i don t like a plugins ( oor a video lol) i just skip'it ... done

I usually don tpost reviews , but when i do it s when i really think i have to share how exellent a tool is ... i guess a lot are also like this , so i don t find it suspect ...

All the raving reviews are on products i consider exellent ...or at least some that can be loved by the mass...

I tried he cla mixdown , and i m not at all impressed by it but i can really understand why people loves it ....fiving that it works wonder on certain type of music /scenario ...

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
Softube Summit EQ
IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Does Waves fabricate their customer reviews? 2017/07/26 20:03:15 (permalink)
Next up is Zero-G.  They always have great reviews.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Does Waves fabricate their customer reviews? 2017/07/27 04:25:51 (permalink)
Matron Landslide
Eddie TX

Cheers,
Eddie

Amen to that!!

And you can take some of the respondents remarks in this thread with a grain of salt, or perhaps a truck load of salt, especially the one(s) who have a loooooooooong track record over the years of having an agenda and being very negatively biased when it comes to Waves, and vocally anti Waves at every opportunity.

Well I started this thread and I'm a fan of a lot of Waves plugins. Think some of them are overrated, but there are many Waves plugins that I use on every project. I think their Element synth is one of the best VST synths available, and I also love Electric 200. I own the Gold bundle but also lots of other odds and ends, like the Aphex exciter. Not a fan of WUP and I hate their installation process, but you can't have everything. 

The reason I started this thread is because I see a lot of companies who host their own reviews on their sites these days and I just think it's wise to be very, very skeptical about them - regardless of what the company claims. Of course they're going to claim that it's all above board - they wouldn't say anything else. Yes, it's marketing. The thing that bothers me is that it's so tempting to be swayed by a bunch of glowing reviews of a plugin when you're on the fence about buying it, and every single review on the Waves site that I've read is glowing. In my experience, opinion doesn't look like this. You'll get some people who rave about it, and others who say "meh - wasn't that impressed." Research has shown that people are more likely to believe reviews when there's a few not so good ones mixed in there.

I guess my skepticism also comes from being a business owner with a website. I get reviews on Yelp and Google - mostly good, but also some complaints in there as well. I quote from reviews on my website. Do I quote the bad ones? Of course I don't! So I'm much more likely to believe the overall picture painted by reviews on sites like Yelp and Amazon than I am on a vendor's own website. 

So overall, not saying that all of the reviews on the Waves site are fabricated, just saying that the overall tone of them doesn't look like a realistic cross section of opinion. I mean you can go to Glassdoor and see reviews from Waves employees of what it's like to work there, and most of them are good but there are a couple of negative ones. Something like that looks far more believable, and as a prospective employee I wouldn't be changing my mind about working there based on a small minority of bad reviews. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Grem
Re: Does Waves fabricate their customer reviews? 2017/07/27 05:46:34 (permalink)
emeraldsoul
BassDaddy

-Tom

Those are perfect lyrics! Didn't see that before. : )

Except I would add one word. Can anyone guess what word and where it would be placed?

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Zargg
Re: Does Waves fabricate their customer reviews? 2017/07/27 11:18:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mesh 2017/07/27 12:28:04
Grem
emeraldsoul
BassDaddy

-Tom

Those are perfect lyrics! Didn't see that before. : )

Except I would add one word. Can anyone guess what word and where it would be placed?

Becan?: EVERYONE has their own spin on Becan
42?: Everything you read should be taken with 42 grain of salt
Monkey?: You better be able to sift through the Monkey BS

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

emeraldsoul
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1858
Re: Does Waves fabricate their customer reviews? 2017/07/27 14:00:54 (permalink)
FAKE news coming at you all day long.

A work in regress:
www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
Kilometers Davis - video   audio
Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
The Sweet Slow Fade - video
pathos
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 331
Re: Does Waves fabricate their customer reviews? 2017/07/27 15:23:12 (permalink)
Matron Landslide
Eddie TX

Cheers,
Eddie

Amen to that!!

Yes, demo yourself & be careful of fake news & lies that people make up here.
Grem
Re: Does Waves fabricate their customer reviews? 2017/07/27 16:32:36 (permalink)
Zargg

Those are real good additions too!!

Grem

Michael

Music PC
Home PC
Surface Pro 3
Zargg
Re: Does Waves fabricate their customer reviews? 2017/07/27 16:45:22 (permalink)
Grem
Zargg

Those are real good additions too!!

So they weren't correct?
None of them?!?

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ

interpolated
Re: Does Waves fabricate their customer reviews? 2017/07/29 12:44:29 (permalink)
I generally demo everything unless I'm inspired by what I read or hear. If no demo is available I rely on 3rd party opinions.

I have computer stuff.

DrLumen
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 621
Re: Does Waves fabricate their customer reviews? 2017/07/29 15:44:39 (permalink)
I take the maker site 'reviews' as nothing more than testimonials. It is highly unlikely they will allow a negative review to stay. I don't really blame them for that but I know to take them with a grain of salt. The ones that really irk me are the resellers that are filtering reviews. I don't think GC will allow 1 or 2 star reviews of anything. Something could be the biggest POS on the planet but they will only show 3+ star reviews.

As to the mag reviews, they are really no different than the Amazon reviewers that got the product for free. I tend to give them more stock if they are comparing many of the same type of item than a single product review. In that instance, I find them to be more fact based than merely opinion.

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Sonar Platinum / Intel i7-4790K / AsRock Z97 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / Behringer FCA610 / M-Audio Sport 2x4 / Win7 x64 Pro / WDC Black HDD's / EVO 850 SSD's / Alesis Q88 / Boss DS-330 / Korg nanoKontrol / Novation Launch Control / 14.5" Lava Lamp
DrLumen
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 621
Re: Does Waves fabricate their customer reviews? 2017/07/29 15:44:39 (permalink)
I take the maker site 'reviews' as nothing more than testimonials. It is highly unlikely they will allow a negative review to stay. I don't really blame them for that but I know to take them with a grain of salt. The ones that really irk me are the resellers that are filtering reviews. I don't think GC will allow 1 or 2 star reviews of anything. Something could be the biggest POS on the planet but they will only show 3+ star reviews.

As to the mag reviews, they are really no different than the Amazon reviewers that got the product for free. I tend to give them more stock if they are comparing many of the same type of item than a single product review. In that instance, I find them to be more fact based than merely opinion.

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Sonar Platinum / Intel i7-4790K / AsRock Z97 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / Behringer FCA610 / M-Audio Sport 2x4 / Win7 x64 Pro / WDC Black HDD's / EVO 850 SSD's / Alesis Q88 / Boss DS-330 / Korg nanoKontrol / Novation Launch Control / 14.5" Lava Lamp
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1