Dropout problems

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Audiodog
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
2009/08/01 14:43:01 (permalink)

Dropout problems

Hi guys, I'm having problems with audio dropouts that no one can figure out, so I'm turning to you guys for help/suggestions. I've been dealing with Ryan at Cakewalk Support and as good as he is, he can't figure it out either. Here's the low down: I'm getting the dropout message not only while trying to record (one track at a time), as well as when I play black. I also get the audio dropout just while monitoring, transport not even running. I seems to be better with my ASIO latency set to max, but will still do. What's even more frustrating is that sometimes it will go all day without doing it, then the next time I fire it up it takes 20 seconds before it starts doing it again. Ryan thinks it might be some sort of IRQ conflict, but who knows. He had me download a Windows Monitoring application to see what was happening on my system when it does this, but after hours os sifting thru that info he still came up empty. My CPU usage is never more than 20 percent, I am not hooked up to the internet, no games, no applications running at all (that I'm aware of). I had Dell bulid this strictly for this purpose. There is tons of system here, but something's not quite right. I can never achieve a roundtrip latency of less than 5 or 6ms which seems high to me considering the rig I'm using. I know there are a lot of variables, but that's why I'm starting this thread. One of you guys has likely experience similar issues somewhere down the road. Ryan has gone way above and beyond the call of duty trying to figure this out and I'm going mad. Help!
System: Dell Studio XPS435T,  intel Core i7 940 processor(8MB L3 Cache 2.93 GHz) , -6GB Ram, 500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive 7200 RPM, Windows Vista SP1 Home Premium 64 Bit

33 Replies Related Threads

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Dropout problems 2009/08/01 18:37:46 (permalink)
    Hi there. Its not normal behaviour.

Can you remind me of your audio interface setup? Are you still connected to the VS2480?
    Is that drive listed in your specs your audio drive? (separate to the internal C Drive) Are all your digital clocks locked up.

You know I think a master clock is the solution sometimes for digital audio problems rather than daisy chaining digital clocks and trying to get the correct devices to sync or lock. The dropout light could be telling you something about how the audio interface is working.

Eliminate this issue by disconnecting all your audio interfaces and maybe running Sonar through your internal soundcard (or something you know to be reliable) for a while and see if the problem persists.

Are you running the 64 bit version of Sonar?

I am sure you have done this but go over the Vista tweaks. I have read on other threads that switching the processor to give priority to 'Programs' rather then 'Background Services' is the more correct option in Vista.

Have you run the Latency checker to see if there any unusual spikes?

I would run the 32 bit version of Sonar on the 32 bit version of Windows XP Professional if I had your system. Maybe switching to Windows 7 when it is sorted out (in terms of Sonar) would be a good idea. But 64 bit is great for doing high end audio processing and working with very high res masters. I ultimately want to switch to a full 64 bit system.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Audiodog
    Re:Dropout problems 2009/08/01 18:54:18 (permalink)
    No VS2480 involved. Just the Sonar. The drive listed is my C drive. I think Ryan (from Cakewalk support) has had me tweak everything relevant in Vista, but I'm not sure about the program thing you mentioned. Where is that located? I don't have a copy of Windows XP, but I'm still suspicious about Vista. Ryan says I'm the only call they've had with this problem that they haven't been able to solve. He also says they don't have a test machine there at Cakewalk yet that is running the Intel i7 processor. Any chance the length of my usb cable (12ft.) could cause an issue with the V700R?
    Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:Dropout problems 2009/08/01 18:57:46 (permalink)
    Gee, that's weird. All those specs and you haven't said what interface you're using. What sound card is in your Dell computer. Whether you're using the sound card for playback or the interface.
    You set your ASIO latency to max? How did you do that? I've never been able to adjust my ASIO latency. 5 to6 ms is unhearable.
    Outline the rest of your "recording" system.

Craig DuBuc
    Jeff Evans
    Re:Dropout problems 2009/08/01 19:19:00 (permalink)
    Cable lengths can cause some problems. Cable capacitance can sometimes degrade very high frequency signals. Try the cable they provided with the VS700R.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Audiodog
    Re:Dropout problems 2009/08/01 20:00:56 (permalink)
    Hi Craig, my recording setup in this case is the complete VStudio 700 - VS700C console, V700R interface, and Sonar 8 PE. Everything's updated to most recent drivers, etc. Cakewalk is tearing their hair out trying to figure out what's causing the dropouts. I've been on the phone with them for hours. The internal sound card in my Dell computer is disabled, as is damn near everything else in it. We've disabled everything we could possibly think of, but must be missing something.
    Audiodog
    Re:Dropout problems 2009/08/01 20:04:37 (permalink)
    Oh ya, Jeff, I have run a latency checker - no spikes show up when the audio drops out, although once I did get a 'too high' spike.

I am running in 64 bit mode. Haven't tried running 32 bit yet, but I feel I shouldn't have to.
    Jeff Evans
    Re:Dropout problems 2009/08/01 20:47:37 (permalink)
    Go to this link re Vista Tweaks and check out the section of setting for performance except do not do what they say and try setting for Programs instead. I would do the other tweaks eg Aero etc.

http://www.audioforums.co...vista-optimization.php

Your roundtrip latency is excellent and I would be very happy with that. You should not feel any keyboard lag with that.

Have you checked that USB cable yet. Could be something silly like that. I have had weird problems with midi cables and SCSI leads being too long, and trying to send digital audio over too long a cable for SPDIF. (clocks etc)

Audiodog
    Re:Dropout problems 2009/08/01 21:05:45 (permalink)
    Thanks Jeff. No, I haven't checked that usb cable yet. I'm at home and the VStudio is at my studio. I bought a supposedly high quality one when I got it, but that doesn't guarantee anything.  There's something odd going on, because I sometimes get the audio dropout when I'm just monitoring through an input and not recording or playing back anything. I mean that's virtually no demand on the system. Like I said, Ryan at Cakewalk suspects some sort of IRQ conflict withing the computer. I don't have any of the other 5 usb ports being used by anything else except the mouse and keyboard, so it must be something going on internally if it is indeed an IRQ conflict. I'm also wondering if there's any possibility the power supply could cause anything weird like that.
    Jeff Evans
    Re:Dropout problems 2009/08/01 21:43:12 (permalink)
    Try a mouse on a PS 2 port as well. Have you got access to a UPS for the computer and VS700R to make sure it is not a power thing interfering with your system in your area. I have seen some strange things that way too.

Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3458
    Re:Dropout problems 2009/08/01 22:06:48 (permalink)
    There shouldn't be any problem with the i7 as that's what I'm using and what we use at bigger demonstrations.

The fact that the DPC latency checker said "too high" at one point concerns me. Was this while idle? What average DPC latency figure are you getting? As a test try disabling your onboard LAN interface in device manager and see if that has any effect.

If you haven't already, definitely try other USB ports. But first I'd like to see that DPC latency solid well below 100 with no spikes while idle.

post edited by Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk] - 2009/08/02 01:57:03

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
    Audiodog
    Re:Dropout problems 2009/08/01 23:13:26 (permalink)
    Ryan had me try a different usb port, but I think we only changed it once. I might try moving it again. I'll check the DPC latency figure again tomorrow. It was idle when I saw that spike one time. Seems like it goes higher than 100, though. I'll double check that and post it.

In answer to Jeff, I am running a UPS power supply as well as a Tripplite voltage regulator.
    Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:Dropout problems 2009/08/02 06:41:21 (permalink)
    Audiodog

Ryan had me try a different usb port, but I think we only changed it once. I might try moving it again. I'll check the DPC latency figure again tomorrow. It was idle when I saw that spike one time. Seems like it goes higher than 100, though. I'll double check that and post it.

In answer to Jeff, I am running a UPS power supply as well as a Tripplite voltage regulator.

Do you have hibernate and standby enabled in your power schemes? There could be a power system monitoring background service going on with a UPS power supply which is enabled in Windows?

Craig DuBuc
    Audiodog
    Re:Dropout problems 2009/08/02 09:51:06 (permalink)
    Brandon, I'm running the DPC  Latency Checker now. While idle it shows Absolute Maximum of 331.
    Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Re:Dropout problems 2009/08/02 13:37:54 (permalink)
    Audiodog

Brandon, I'm running the DPC  Latency Checker now. While idle it shows Absolute Maximum of 331.

Yeah 331 is way too high for a machine such as yours. For example, my i7 sticks around 40-50 and never spikes above anything in the 60s. There is some driver or component that is causing trouble and interrupting realtime performance.

Have you tried disabling your onbaord LAN drivers in the device manager?

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
    Audiodog
    Re:Dropout problems 2009/08/02 14:06:16 (permalink)
    Yeah, I've disabled the LAN driver and damn near everything Ryan and I could think of. I went to the link Jeff sent me above(Sweetwater computer audio setup) and did all the stuff they said to do (except what Jeff said not to do regarding programs or background settings) . Then I ran the latency monitor again. For a while it went down to about 140 then I got this spike of 14,746 which seemed to stay there for a while. I went in to Device Manager and started disabling anything that wasn't already but nothing seemed to help. After resetting the latency monitor my readings were hovering around 140-250 on average. Then I started running Sonar again - just recording some simple two track audio - and kept getting constant dropouts - about every thirty seconds until I went in to my ASIO settings and maxed out the buffer. Then it ran fine for about an hour. But, mind you, it was just simple two track stuff and any 'live recording' with a musician having to monitor himself would have been unusable with that kind of latency.
    I'm going crazy. I hate to think this brand new computer I spent two grand on to do nothing but run Sonar is worthless and will have to be replaced. I can edit on it and live with it - but no way I can record even myself on it - let alone a group - which is what I do for a living. Gotta keep recording on my VS2480 and exporting .wav files to edit in Sonar - what a drag.
    Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Re:Dropout problems 2009/08/02 14:44:44 (permalink)
    Audiodog

Yeah, I've disabled the LAN driver and damn near everything Ryan and I could think of. I went to the link Jeff sent me above(Sweetwater computer audio setup) and did all the stuff they said to do (except what Jeff said not to do regarding programs or background settings) . Then I ran the latency monitor again. For a while it went down to about 140 then I got this spike of 14,746 which seemed to stay there for a while. I went in to Device Manager and started disabling anything that wasn't already but nothing seemed to help. After resetting the latency monitor my readings were hovering around 140-250 on average. Then I started running Sonar again - just recording some simple two track audio - and kept getting constant dropouts - about every thirty seconds until I went in to my ASIO settings and maxed out the buffer. Then it ran fine for about an hour. But, mind you, it was just simple two track stuff and any 'live recording' with a musician having to monitor himself would have been unusable with that kind of latency.
    I'm going crazy. I hate to think this brand new computer I spent two grand on to do nothing but run Sonar is worthless and will have to be replaced. I can edit on it and live with it - but no way I can record even myself on it - let alone a group - which is what I do for a living. Gotta keep recording on my VS2480 and exporting .wav files to edit in Sonar - what a drag.

I feel your pain and I can imagine how frustrating it is to get a brand new machine and have this happen. We'll work with you for as long as it takes to come to some solution - so at least take some solace that we won't abandon you on this.

140-250 with no spikes should be sufficient to do realtime audio work, but it's still IMO unacceptably high for a machine of that speed and newness. The spike of 14k is just bizarre and suggestive of some serious interruption in the system.

Let me just get the easy question out of the way first. Is there even a possibility of returning the machine if we can't get it worked out? And if so, how much longer do you have?

The main things for me that have caused higher DPC latencies in the past have been LAN, Bluetooth, or WLAN drivers.

Let me ask this (and this may require a call to Dell) but are you absolutely sure you havethe latest motherboard BIOS, Chipset drivers and video card drivers? What kind of graphics card is in the machine.

Bottom line is that if I couldn't get my new 2k i7 based computer to a lower than 100 DPC latency I would be disappointed. Perhaps Dell tech support could run the latency checker on the same model you have and tell you what they get. If they see the same spikes you are getting they should attempt to explain why it is so high.

One more thing: Do you have any other computers around, even a laptop or something, that you could at least just try the VS-700 on to see if you get the same behavior or if in fact it works fine.
    post edited by Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk] - 2009/08/02 14:48:28

Audiodog
    Re:Dropout problems 2009/08/02 15:17:29 (permalink)
    Hi Brandon, I have talked to Dell once, but they think the problem is in my audio gear/drivers, of course. I doubt they'd let me return it because it seems to them like everything in the computer checks out. I did have a video driver issue at first and then Dell helped me to get updated drivers installed and haven't had any problem at all since (the blue screen of death that I was getting).
    The video card is a 512MB ATI Radeon HD4670. Ryan(Munnis) and I talked about another computer on Friday. I have a laptop that is powerful enough to run this rig, so I'm installing Sonar on it right now. I'll run some tests with it tomorrow and let you know how it performs on that system. I ran a check(from Device Manager) on the chipset this morning and it came back with 'the best driver is already installed' message. But, I did that a couple of weeks back with the ATI Radeon and it said the same thing. Ryan told me to contact Dell or ATI directly to make sure there wasn't something more current available and sure enough, there was a newer driver available that solved my problem.
    Audiodog
    Re:Dropout problems 2009/08/02 15:21:12 (permalink)
    Oh yeah, there are no Bluetooth devices or drivers on the system, and I purposely left off a wireless LAN network card when having the computer built. I do have a LAN card installed that I can enable when I need to get online for support or registering product, etc. Disabling it never seems to matter with regards to my problem.
    Jeff Evans
    Re:Dropout problems 2009/08/02 18:11:44 (permalink)
    I did a visit to the Dell site and noticed there is a download for the latest bios for your motherboard. Can you check your bios to see what version you have now and if you need to install the updated bios. Sometimes the bios update might help. Be careful doing it though.

I am only getting a maximum of 8 to 10 us in the latency checker all the time. I know that is very low but as Brandon says if yours is peaking high then there must be a reason for it.

Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
    • Total Posts : 2084
    Re:Dropout problems 2009/08/02 20:34:24 (permalink)
    Hi Audiodog,

Do download and install the latest BIOS and drivers for the system from Dell's website. Since they don't use standard off the shelf components its impossible to know exactly what's in your system in terms of the motherboard. Because of that will be tricky to find the culprit. At this point all you can do is update drivers/ BIOS. If that doesn't do the trick then Dell needs to update their system so it works properly.
    rosabelle
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 261
    Re:Dropout problems 2009/08/03 10:53:59 (permalink)
    but they think the problem is in my audio gear/drivers, of course. I doubt they'd let me return it because it seems to them like everything in the computer checks out.

Can you remove all your audio gear/drivers, then run the DPC checker and see if it spikes? If so, then call Dell and say "see, if I remove all my audio stuff, you machine still performs unacceptably."

Audiodog
    Re:Dropout problems 2009/08/04 19:08:05 (permalink)
    Just thought I'd report back after a couple of days on the phone with Dell tech support. Long story short: my BIOS/chipset drivers are the most current available (A07), they had me disable something in my system BIOS that dropped my latency reading on the DPC to about 80 while idle. According to Brandon this should be acceptable. This didn't solve any of my recording/playback dropout issues, however. They also went through a few other things after taking remote control of my computer but nothing has solved the issue. It still seems weird to me that if I go into my Audio/Options tab in Sonar and set my ASIO mixing latency to the max my system performs reasonably well. However, you can't record a live band or do overdubs like that. Even then I still get random dropouts - sometimes while just setting there monitoring. Pretty much relegates me to mixing and editing only. So....... I'm now prepared to give up and can my new 2K computer and buy something else. Anybody have a recommendation? I've been looking at this one on Sweetwater's site:
    http://www.sweetwater.com...n_station/csrackxt.php
    Anybody using any of their stuff?
    Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Re:Dropout problems 2009/08/04 20:47:29 (permalink)
    Audiodog

Just thought I'd report back after a couple of days on the phone with Dell tech support. Long story short: my BIOS/chipset drivers are the most current available (A07), they had me disable something in my system BIOS that dropped my latency reading on the DPC to about 80 while idle. According to Brandon this should be acceptable. This didn't solve any of my recording/playback dropout issues, however. They also went through a few other things after taking remote control of my computer but nothing has solved the issue. It still seems weird to me that if I go into my Audio/Options tab in Sonar and set my ASIO mixing latency to the max my system performs reasonably well. However, you can't record a live band or do overdubs like that. Even then I still get random dropouts - sometimes while just setting there monitoring. Pretty much relegates me to mixing and editing only. So....... I'm now prepared to give up and can my new 2K computer and buy something else. Anybody have a recommendation? I've been looking at this one on Sweetwater's site:
    http://www.sweetwater.com...n_station/csrackxt.php
    Anybody using any of their stuff?

WE can definitely make some recommendations to you. But before we go that far I'm wondering if you've tried the VS-700 on another computer just to confirm that it works on something other than your Dell.

Audiodog
    Re:Dropout problems 2009/08/04 23:29:31 (permalink)
    Yeah, I loaded it on to my laptop, but unfortunately it's also a Dell and it wouldn't run 30 seconds before dropping out. Exact same problem. It's and XPS1530 - reasonable powerful dual core intel 2.6 GHz , 6 MB ram. Not sure about the motherboard. I replaced the usb cable on both computers just to be sure something wasn't squirrely there. I didn't really go through the laptop with a fine tooth comb checking through the device manager and disabling stuff. Probably should have disable the internal sound card before I tried the Sonar, but didn't.
    Jeff Evans
    Re:Dropout problems 2009/08/05 07:48:56 (permalink)
    There might be another option where you just replace the motherboard in the Dell.

With computers like Dell, what do we really know about the motherboard. The other thing with these types of computers is there is also too much unnecessary software installed. You don't need it, just a clean Windows install with your audio apps on board.

The motherboard is everything and it is important to get very clear information about what motherboards are being used. That machine at Sweetwater is using an Asus motherboard and they don't hide the fact. Those Scan computers in the UK are now using Gigabyte motherboards. Both the Asus and Gigabyte are proving to be reliable with intense audio applications right now with the i7 cores.

If you can pull the CPU out you may be able to upgrade the motherboard and not be too much out of pocket. Is that a possibility.

Audiodog
    Re:Dropout problems 2009/08/05 08:04:30 (permalink)
    I hear you Jeff. The Dell tech couldn't tell me what kind of motherboard they used in there. It sounded like they use all kind of different ones. My main i7  computer doesn't haven't much of anything running on it. I left tons of stuff off of it intentionally when I had them build it - knowing it's only function in life would be running Sonar. They did actually hint that they might replace the motherboard in my computer. Right now the status is that the guy I talked to at Dell for the last two days is referring it to his 'higher up' tech specialists. In Dell's defense, this guy really was trying to figure this out and was very concerned.
    Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Re:Dropout problems 2009/08/18 16:11:03 (permalink)
    Audiodog

I hear you Jeff. The Dell tech couldn't tell me what kind of motherboard they used in there. It sounded like they use all kind of different ones. My main i7  computer doesn't haven't much of anything running on it. I left tons of stuff off of it intentionally when I had them build it - knowing it's only function in life would be running Sonar. They did actually hint that they might replace the motherboard in my computer. Right now the status is that the guy I talked to at Dell for the last two days is referring it to his 'higher up' tech specialists. In Dell's defense, this guy really was trying to figure this out and was very concerned.

Any word Audiodog? Just checking in on ya.

Audiodog
    Re:Dropout problems 2009/08/18 23:05:11 (permalink)
    Hey Brandon, yeah I have been trying numerous options as per Dell's higher up techs. They apparently have a more specialized support dept. and they've been calling me regularly trying to resolve this issue. I've got to give them credit, they've been trying damn hard to deal with this. Unfortunately we ran out of options yesterday and all parties have now resigned to getting a different computer. They're not sure whether a proven motherboard replacement will fit in my chassis. I'd have to check into physical specs to see if a motherboard with a proven track record with Sonar will drop in to my chassis. I'm not sure if I want to risk spending $600-700 on a motherboard and find out it won't work either. Just thinking about talking to Sweetwater at this point. Last thing we did was completely wipe the computer clean and re-format the C drive and re-install Vista and Sonar - nothing else - no sound cards, no software, just essential stuff to run the system. Still dealing with dropouts, although the system does seem much more stable in general. In fact, damn stable with ASIO mixing latency maxed out. I just can't record that way - way too much delay. Still drops out fairly often with Perfect Space inserted on the master buss at mixdown. So, for now I guess I'll just keep recording to my VS2480 and exporting .wav files over to Sonar for editing. I must say that after a month of using Sonar under my belt, this software is AWESOME. I love the the whole system. I hope someday soon to be able to actually record with it as well. The power of this system is unbelievable and the c700C console is very well designed. A few wish list items like everyone else, but all in all, excellent. Still open to computer recommendations from any of you guys!
    swizzle
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 55
    Re:Dropout problems 2009/08/19 08:46:28 (permalink)
    Hey Audiodog...I know how those computer problems can be, frustrating when all you want to do is make music.  I'm new to Sonar too and also have the V-700 system (I've used other arrangements with all of the frustrations involved).  Have not had the opportunity to put it through its paces yet; waiting on my new computer.  If a new computer turns out to be your move, you may also want to consider PCAudioLabs (www.pcaudiolabs.com).  Similar to Sweetwater, these guys specialize in audio PCs (It's their bread-n-butter).  I believe Cakewalk uses a PCAudioLabs computer when they demonstrate the V-700 system; it's evidently used by a lot of people in the audio and video industries.  The nice thing about their computers is that during the build they will install up to 5 software and 3 hardware devices free, tweak the system for your sofwtware and test the system to make sure everything is running as it should.  If you have more than that, they charge $10 for each additional item (great deal in my opinion).  I didn't have to send them the software; all I had to do was provide the S/Ns.  You'll have to send them any hardware that you want installed.  They'll send the whole package back ready to fly.  The computer comes with a 3-year warranty and lifetime phone and technical support including remote connection.  I went this route because I'm tired of dealing with the computer interface mess.  Don't know if this will solve all or any of these type problems, but I believe it is the way to go.  Mine is being shipped this week (software is now being installed, tweaked for Sonar 8 and add-ins, and tested.  If you want, I'll keep you posted on results after I get it up and running.

Best of luck on solving your dropout problems.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1