EZplayer Pro - SONAR no longer needs a midi groove browser.

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Dave Modisette
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11050
RE: EZplayer Pro - SONAR no longer needs a midi groove browser. 2008/04/21 16:39:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Roflcopter

Mmm. Thanks Dave, sounds very interesting - shame the freeby doesn't have a hint of all that functionality, from what I read, so it's maybe not a fair comparison with the full product. Is there some video maybe that shows what you can do?

The freebie will be getting an update soon after the Pro version is released. I don't know if any of the features will be in the freebie update but I can tell you there will be wrappers for some of the drum samplers that didn't make the free version.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
My music.
... And of course, the Facebook page. 
HumbleNoise
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2946
RE: EZplayer Pro - SONAR no longer needs a midi groove browser. 2008/04/21 20:55:54 (permalink)
Watched the video and I think I see a problem - how will they keep that thing on the shelves? Looks VERY useful.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
MAudio 2496
Yamaha MG 12/4
Roland XV-88
Intel MB with Q6600 and 4 GB Ram
NVidia 9800 GTX
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
HumbleNoise
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2946
RE: EZplayer Pro - SONAR no longer needs a midi groove browser. 2008/04/21 20:57:22 (permalink)
duplicate
post edited by HumbleNoise - 2008/04/21 21:20:03

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
MAudio 2496
Yamaha MG 12/4
Roland XV-88
Intel MB with Q6600 and 4 GB Ram
NVidia 9800 GTX
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Dave Modisette
RE: EZplayer Pro - SONAR no longer needs a midi groove browser. 2008/04/22 20:33:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: HumbleNoise

Watched the video and I think I see a problem - how will they keep that thing on the shelves? Looks VERY useful.

Yep, a picture is worth a thousand words so how much is a video worth?

My music.
huffy
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 173
RE: EZplayer Pro - SONAR no longer needs a midi groove browser. 2008/04/22 21:10:38 (permalink)
First off, thanks Dave for the info on EZPlayer Pro, and thanks Andreas for the video link. I'm liking some of these features.

I've got some questions though, regarding EZPP, and I guess some of them would also apply to the upcoming Superior Drummer 2, which will include EZPP:

1: I noticed that in the EZPP demo video, (as with all the videos I've seen from Toontrack) the grooves were auditioned by themselves, with no other music playing. The way I like to work is, I'll record into Sonar 7 Pro from a PSR-type Yamaha keyboard (the kind that has preset styles, like "Country Rock", "Rock Shuffle", etc.), so that I've got guitars, bass, drums, lead, all recorded there as MIDI and/or audio in my host. I'll then go searching for a better or more professional-sounding drum groove to replace the original one. So if I pull up EZPlayer Pro, I'd like to be able to audition the grooves while all of my other tracks are playing in the host, so that I can find a groove that complements them well. I can't just say "great groove" unless it's going to sound great with my particular song. So, will EZPP sync up with Sonar not only in terms of tempo, but also in terms of start times -- meaning, if I don't happen to hit "play" exactly on the beat, will EZPP help me out by waiting until the next downbeat as defined by Sonar, so that all my instruments are in sync? In other words, is it similar to the way you can preview audio loops in Sonar's Loop Explorer? Stylus RMX does this, and gives you different trigger options like "Next Beat", "Next Bar" or "Immediate". It's VERY helpful. A guy at my local Guitar Center told me that EZD now lets you do this, after a recent update. Is that true, and is it the same with EZPP?

2: Also with Stylus RMX, if you've got a groove playing (in RMX, not the host) and you want to add, as was done in the EZPP demo video, a cabasa, you can preview the cabasa grooves while the first groove continues to loop, sort of like a preview "groove-lock". So RMX syncs up not only with the host, but also between its own groove elements. But in the EZPP video, the cabasa and foot stomp were auditioned, again, by themselves, and it was decided that "this is a good foot stomp", without hearing it with the first groove. It was then DnD'ed below, and only then was it heard playing with the other groove. So, is DnD required, even within EZPP itself, in order to hear these groove elements playing together?

3: And lastly, I've been holding off buying EZD since I heard that EZD's "big brother" Superior Drummer 2 was coming out, and that it will include EZPP. In the EZD specs, it says that there are "over 8000 MIDI grooves" that come with it, yet I don't see anything about the number of MIDI grooves that will come with SD2. Only the mention of "75 MIDI songs" in the EZPP demo . Does anyone happen to know how many MIDI grooves there'll be, and whether a good percentage of them will be duplicates of the EZD grooves? Also, I wonder if the original EZD MIDI grooves can be purchased/downloaded separately?

That's a lot, I know. Thanks for any insights.

Bob K.
post edited by huffy - 2008/04/22 22:06:21
Dave Modisette
RE: EZplayer Pro - SONAR no longer needs a midi groove browser. 2008/04/23 13:02:40 (permalink)
In other words, is it similar to the way you can preview audio loops in Sonar's Loop Explorer? Stylus RMX does this, and gives you different trigger options like "Next Beat", "Next Bar" or "Immediate". It's VERY helpful. A guy at my local Guitar Center told me that EZD now lets you do this, after a recent update. Is that true, and is it the same with EZPP?
I wondered where EZPP got this type of sync option. Yes, it behaves like that in the Arranger. However the sync in the browser/librarian is immediate.

Also with Stylus RMX, if you've got a groove playing (in RMX, not the host) and you want to add, as was done in the EZPP demo video, a cabasa, you can preview the cabasa grooves while the first groove continues to loop, sort of like a preview "groove-lock". So RMX syncs up not only with the host, but also between its own groove elements. But in the EZPP video, the cabasa and foot stomp were auditioned, again, by themselves, and it was decided that "this is a good foot stomp", without hearing it with the first groove. It was then DnD'ed below, and only then was it heard playing with the other groove. So, is DnD required, even within EZPP itself, in order to hear these groove elements playing together?

You'll have to drag a groove down into the Arranger before you can hear another groove play against it. I need to verify that the librarian syncs with the Arranger while syncing with SONAR. I don't work that way and I can't remember if I tried that or not. I can't say what works with one host will work in another. For example, the two way DnD of grooves from the host to the EZPP librarian might not work in all hosts. It's host dependent on how things DnD.

Does anyone happen to know how many MIDI grooves there'll be, and whether a good percentage of them will be duplicates of the EZD grooves? Also, I wonder if the original EZD MIDI grooves can be purchased/downloaded separately?
The grooves we tested did not include any duplicates. The grooves were along the line of previously released grooves. But there were more variations of ghost strokes and cymbal crashes. IIRC, quite a few of them were much longer in length. Like 4-8 bars or so. Some of them were EZX-centric and aimed at a particular EZX although they seemed to be useable in other EZXs. I can't speak to any of the specifics concerning the grooves in S2.

My music.
gmon72
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1052
RE: EZplayer Pro - SONAR no longer needs a midi groove browser. 2008/04/26 23:01:59 (permalink)
Dave, thanks for the great review and tips with EZPP

I use Addictive Drums and BFD2. If I create an arrangement using BFD2 drum and addictive drums, when I drag the midi file to teh host, are all the proper drum mapping done, or do I need to more to have them play back correctly?
Dave Modisette
RE: EZplayer Pro - SONAR no longer needs a midi groove browser. 2008/04/27 11:59:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: gmon72

Dave, thanks for the great review and tips with EZPP

I use Addictive Drums and BFD2. If I create an arrangement using BFD2 drum and addictive drums, when I drag the midi file to teh host, are all the proper drum mapping done, or do I need to more to have them play back correctly?

I wish I could tell you definitively that it was so but I don't have those two products. However, I do know that there are betatesters with those products and they were checked out.

But yes, EZplayer will make it so that your midi files will converted to the map that EZP is using. Basically, if you are hearing it correctly then the DnD will also be correct.

My music.
gmon72
RE: EZplayer Pro - SONAR no longer needs a midi groove browser. 2008/04/27 21:29:20 (permalink)
great. thanks for the info. Sounds pretty much like a must buy.
Susan G
  • Total Posts : 12016
RE: EZplayer Pro - SONAR no longer needs a midi groove browser. 2008/04/29 01:08:44 (permalink)
Hi Dave-

So when will it be available already? [rhetorical question] It's almost the end of April, and the video I saw convinced me that it will be the answer to (almost) all my prayers!

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
Roflcopter
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6767
RE: EZplayer Pro - SONAR no longer needs a midi groove browser. 2008/04/29 06:19:06 (permalink)
3: And lastly, I've been holding off buying EZD since I heard that EZD's "big brother" Superior Drummer 2 was coming out, and that it will include EZPP.

Mmm. All this is beginning to sound awfully tasty, and would be a great addition to my toolbox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roLX4ZW2Ldk&feature=related

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
JDA
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 299
RE: EZplayer Pro - SONAR no longer needs a midi groove browser. 2008/04/29 13:10:58 (permalink)
Hi Dave,

I'll be upgrading to Superior 2.0 when it comes out. I thought I read EZPlayer Pro is going to be included with the S2 upgrade. I'll probably wait until S2, but it does look like a great product for those who use midi drum grooves.

Thanks! JD...
Dave Modisette
RE: EZplayer Pro - SONAR no longer needs a midi groove browser. 2008/04/29 16:34:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: JDA

Hi Dave,

I'll be upgrading to Superior 2.0 when it comes out. I thought I read EZPlayer Pro is going to be included with the S2 upgrade. I'll probably wait until S2, but it does look like a great product for those who use midi drum grooves.

Thanks! JD...

It will come with S2 but the grooves included with the EZPP will not be included. S2 has it's own grooves created by Nir Z which is an exciting thing. I can't wait to get my hands on a collection done by a session cat that knows what needs to be played to keep a producer happy.

My music.
JDA
RE: EZplayer Pro - SONAR no longer needs a midi groove browser. 2008/04/29 20:51:17 (permalink)
Hi Dave,
Is the grooves that come with EZPro worth the price and how many come with it now? I didn't know about the difference in the groove content and thanks for pointing that out. Being a guitarist I don't even know who Nir Z is, but sounds like he must be a good drummer. :)

Thanks, JD...

stratcat33511
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3636
RE: EZplayer Pro - SONAR no longer needs a midi groove browser. 2008/04/30 10:45:01 (permalink)
are we there yet ?
boogielicious
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 321
RE: EZplayer Pro - SONAR no longer needs a midi groove browser. 2008/04/30 11:45:24 (permalink)
I feel like the horse in cartoons with a carrot dangled in front of me. Any day now!! I need it desperately for some drum parts I'm working with. I'm creating by hand now, but EZPP will make my life so much easier.

Just a comment off the topic. Is it me or do most midi drum groove file collections give you everything but the basic beat? I'm writing some swing tunes and all the swing grooves I've collected (EZD, GrooveMonkee, SmartLoops) have all the fancy grooves, but nothing basic. I would like to see the groove collection set up starting with basic groove then move to more complicated. This would make it much easier to put together the rhythm section as a basic track, then go back and fancy it up.

My two cents. It's the last day of April and still no EZ Player Pro.

Scott
gmon72
RE: EZplayer Pro - SONAR no longer needs a midi groove browser. 2008/04/30 22:04:36 (permalink)
scott, hace you tried jamstix? different animal, but you can make your own basic beat and then let it do its thing. You can then export the resulting midi file and use that in EZPP.

Its also on sale now
Susan G
RE: EZplayer Pro - SONAR no longer needs a midi groove browser. 2008/05/01 00:50:06 (permalink)
Hi Scott-
It's the last day of April and still no EZ Player Pro.

Yes, so where the heck is it? I know it's typical for some software to be released later than advertised, but why the press release back in March promising an April release, then the Musikmesse demo e-mail on the 25th if it's still not ready yet. There was no reason for them to set expectations for any kind of absolute release date (why not just "Spring of '08"?)

Oh well, I'll live!

-Susan

Andreas Sundgren
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: EZplayer Pro - SONAR no longer needs a midi groove browser. 2008/05/01 05:49:38 (permalink)
Hi,

EZplayer pro is almost there. The boxes have shipped out to distributor
and we are currently testing the download facility in our
webshop. So, just a little more patience so that the dealers
get their hands on it too and we will be in play.

As for Superior Drummer 2.0 the shipping will commence
last week in june and that´s the only delay that has been
officially announced from us (the first projected release
was end of march, beginning of april) except for us announcing
the fact that we were working on it in october last year.

We truly appreciate your interest, support and patience.

Andreas Sundgren, CEO Toontrack Music
Roflcopter
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6767
RE: EZplayer Pro - SONAR no longer needs a midi groove browser. 2008/05/01 06:05:18 (permalink)
we are currently testing the download facility in our webshop

Link? I'll gladly help out.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
Andreas Sundgren
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: EZplayer Pro - SONAR no longer needs a midi groove browser. 2008/05/01 18:11:22 (permalink)
Hi,

I will get back here as soon as
I know there is product available.

All the best,

Andreas/Toontrack
Dave Modisette
RE: EZplayer Pro - SONAR no longer needs a midi groove browser. 2008/05/01 18:30:43 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: JDA

Hi Dave,
Is the grooves that come with EZPro worth the price and how many come with it now? I didn't know about the difference in the groove content and thanks for pointing that out. Being a guitarist I don't even know who Nir Z is, but sounds like he must be a good drummer. :)

Thanks, JD...

I was going through the grooves and I was, like, on the Groove folder 5 and I was over 100 and I got tired of counting. That was just the Straight grooves and there are 17 folders of straight grooves. Each groove was two bars or more long. Each folder has a hats closed, cymbals, snares/toms and fills subfolder.

Then comes the Swing folder tree, 3/4 & 6/8 folder tree, the Cocktail EZX folder tree, and the EZX specific trees.

In the EZX specific trees there are folder branches for Claustrophobic, Twisted Kit and Latin Percussion.

I can't say whether or not you will feel like it's worth it. I can say that I've blown a lot more money than that (nearly twice that) and was disappointed. If I bought the collection, I wouldn't be disappointed.

Lots of grooves filled with variations in each groove. Grooves with cymbal crashes. They aren't your basic building block grooves. IOW, no one bar AC/DC grooves or that kind of things. More open playing by the drummer. I'd call these 2nd and 3rd verse grooves where the drummer starts digging in more.

I'd spend the $49, if it was me and not feel bad about it.
YMMV.
post edited by Mod Bod - 2008/05/01 18:50:16

My music.
JDA
RE: EZplayer Pro - SONAR no longer needs a midi groove browser. 2008/05/01 20:00:42 (permalink)
Hi Dave,
Thanks for all the info and that will give me something to think about.

JD...

boogielicious
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 321
RE: EZplayer Pro - SONAR no longer needs a midi groove browser. 2008/05/03 10:35:05 (permalink)
Susan,

Thanks for the tip. I end up just doing that in Sonar with piano roll view or the sequence editor. I would just be cool with EZPlayer Pro to grab a basic groove, then start adding complexity.

Scott
dflammia
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: EZplayer Pro - SONAR no longer needs a midi groove browser. 2008/05/07 08:56:19 (permalink)
When you add a crash or extra drum hit to a midi file in ezplayer pro can it be done with a controller such as PadKontrol while the track is playing or do you add the crash or drum hit with your computer mouse.

Can you apply tempo changes to your final drum track before dragging it to sonar.

Thanks
Dwight
Dave Modisette
RE: EZplayer Pro - SONAR no longer needs a midi groove browser. 2008/05/07 12:29:31 (permalink)
Can you apply tempo changes to your final drum track before dragging it to sonar.
No.

My music.
Susan G
RE: EZplayer Pro - SONAR no longer needs a midi groove browser. 2008/05/09 14:56:31 (permalink)
Hi Andreas-
I will get back here as soon as
I know there is product available.

Looking forward to it -- thanks!

-Susan

Dave Modisette
RE: EZplayer Pro - SONAR no longer needs a midi groove browser. 2008/05/09 18:13:20 (permalink)
Hmmmm. 6:11 PM EDST in the US and the TT site is down. Maybe.... loading some new web content? They mentioned they were ready to light this rocket.

Bummer. False alarm. Someone must have just kicked out the power cord to the server.
post edited by Mod Bod - 2008/05/09 22:41:51

My music.
wetdentist
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1129
RE: EZplayer Pro - SONAR no longer needs a midi groove browser. 2008/05/09 18:16:46 (permalink)
after reading all this amazing hype, i tried to get me some but the website is DOWN. i can't wait to spend my 49 bucks to get my life in order!

3.5 Ghz AMD 6-Core/16 gigs RAM, Roland Quad-Capture, Win 10, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Komplete 10, z3ta+, Z3TA+ 2, Rapture, Maschine 2.7 (MKI & Jam), Melodyne 4 Studio, Ozone 4, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar 2, Schecter Damien Elite, Fender Sonoran w/TronicalTune Plus installed, etc 
go here to hear Wet Dentist (2000-2016 RIP)
my new sounds: The Das Kaput

Susan G
RE: EZplayer Pro - SONAR no longer needs a midi groove browser. 2008/05/10 08:47:25 (permalink)
The site is up, but it still says "Coming Soon!".

-Susan

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1