Ever wonder?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re:Ever wonder? 2011/08/13 22:44:58 (permalink)
 Great job Herb. I did a video several years ago using a flip. It can be tedious for sure. You pulled it off well!
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:Ever wonder? 2011/08/13 23:04:44 (permalink)
Janet... not Rising Up or 50....

We did a number of collabs besides those...

Sept nights
Friends
When I met You
Above the clouds
After all these years
Season's end
Storm

these are the ones I recall....and a few others that never made it to the finish line....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
Re:Ever wonder? 2011/08/14 00:41:38 (permalink)
Outstanding video and song (and I love the song); I absolutely loved the 'extra mile' footage in this.  I couldn't detect one missed lip or strum ... so that would make me believe its a live performance.

Excellent self portrait!  (Makes we want to try That Heavenly Choir video with my collaborators).

'Love the way you handled the condensor at the start (I'd be pop'in my ppplosives a bit if I tried that -- LOL!)

Again, very excellent!

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
Janet
  • Total Posts : 8094
Re:Ever wonder? 2011/08/14 10:17:38 (permalink)
Herb, remember the 'whale song?'  :)  That's on Rising Up.  Check out my SC site.  :)  And I don't have the ones that you wrote, so yeah, I guess we did at least 10. 
Guitarhacker
Re:Ever wonder? 2011/08/14 18:17:28 (permalink)
oh yeah... I think there are one or two that you have on your site that I never put up on mine for one reason or another.

BMI/NSAI

michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re:Ever wonder? 2011/08/14 22:58:10 (permalink)
Pretty cool Herb.  I got a kick out of the  mic, starts out hand held, then has a wind screen, finally at the end the wind screen is gone.  Cool SG and nice playing.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
BENZOFOG
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 108
Re:Ever wonder? 2011/08/14 23:31:45 (permalink)
Wow herb!
That was a touching song...
Robomusic
  • Total Posts : 8943
Re:Ever wonder? 2011/08/15 01:00:28 (permalink)
Herb that was truely a very nicely done song, and the video added another dimension to the project. One thing i learned from reading your comments is to slow down and really take my time. I tend to rush through a song project. If is worth doing it is worth taking the time to do it right.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
Music Town
stillnotbanned
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 37
Re:Ever wonder? 2011/08/15 01:03:15 (permalink)
BENZOFOG

Wow herb!
That was a touching song...

It was? I started touching myself when I heard it? And I haven't stopped since? 
Guitarhacker
Re:Ever wonder? 2011/08/15 08:14:27 (permalink)
I was watching an interview with Robin Frederick some time back. In it she was speaking about how she recorded her tracks for TV. The thing she said was to hold the mic, sans pop filter off to the side of the mouth at 45 degrees or so. This way it's close for the proximity effect, but the plosives do not hit the screen. That is how I have started to record my vox now.... just like you see in the first video section.

A pop filter also removes some of the frequencies to a certain degree. So by not using it, you get full range. Just learn the right technique, and be aware of the polsives and it sounds good.

I use the pop filter sometimes, but not always. Try it.... you just might like it.

BMI/NSAI

Guitarhacker
Re:Ever wonder? 2011/08/15 08:24:41 (permalink)
Robomusic

Herb that was truely a very nicely done song, and the video added another dimension to the project. One thing i learned from reading your comments is to slow down and really take my time. I tend to rush through a song project. If is worth doing it is worth taking the time to do it right.

Yeah... for me, if I'm going to record a song the tendency is to "get it done NOW!" I like to hear the final result, and I know it will sound good so I want to rush to the finish line.... but as Pistol Pete says in his signature.... it takes as much effort to record a bad song as it does a good one....  well, I think he's pretty much on target with that statement.

So spend the time needed to get the song itself right...even if it takes a few months or more in rewriting and tweezes to the song.... then record it allowing enough time to get that aspect right as well.

example on a new song: I have been working on writing a new tune now for about 4 or more months.... it's pretty much done and I have tracked my vox in it..... BUT ...I'm not intending to be the final singer. I have been trying to get a female vocalist (the right one) to sing this. I think....maybe, this Thursday night, I will be able to do first tracks with "the singer".  This is a song that I feel confident will get licensed, since I have someone who heard the rough demo and is very interested in the final version. So yeah, this one has to be right. My cowriter said she cried when she heard the rough demo..... (over the lyrics and music, not my singing... just in case you're wondering).  As much as I'm looking to get this one done, it has to be right in every way. I'm hoping that this singer will nail it in all the right ways and we can proceed to a finished song in a few more weeks, but if not, ....... patience grasshopper.....

I'll be posting it here when I get it done...

BMI/NSAI

No How
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5180
Re:Ever wonder? 2011/08/15 08:46:57 (permalink)
That was a lot of fun.   Beautiful song.  Video was cool, i really love that striped wallpaper!

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:Ever wonder? 2011/08/15 09:07:06 (permalink)
Love it!

I like the song. I really like the piano part... it's just right.

It was a joy to see you relaxed and having fun in your studio.

Thanks for sharing.

best,
mike

Robomusic
  • Total Posts : 8943
Re:Ever wonder? 2011/08/15 12:22:42 (permalink)
What happens to me is that i find time so restricted, that i tent to rush, feeling it will never get done, and i will lose that feeling. But i am going to have to slow the process down and really think this stuff through. I want to start putting out some really good stuff for a change.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
Music Town
57Gregy
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re:Ever wonder? 2011/08/15 12:40:08 (permalink)
I like it.
And I think you mean Peter Rabbit; Pistol Pete is an entirely different creature.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
vechung
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 818
Re:Ever wonder? 2011/08/15 16:56:14 (permalink)
Such a nice voice!  And very nicely produced and arranged.

Let me comment on the video.  Around 2:08 seeing you looking down, what it looks like the lyrics, it sort of loses the feeling that the performer is singing it from the heart.

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
Guitarhacker
Re:Ever wonder? 2011/08/15 17:10:56 (permalink)
57Gregy

I like it.
And I think you mean Peter Rabbit; Pistol Pete is an entirely different creature.

You're right Greg, I knew it was one of those Pete guys....

BMI/NSAI

radio
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2782
Re:Ever wonder? 2011/08/15 22:56:17 (permalink)

Nice one Herb ! Hey Herb if your going to post a good song like yours on youtube  , a nice country shirt would look much better then a tee-shirt .

Radio

Bub
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7196
Re:Ever wonder? 2011/08/16 00:50:29 (permalink)
Guitarhacker

So spend the time needed to get the song itself right...even if it takes a few months or more in rewriting and tweezes to the song.... then record it allowing enough time to get that aspect right as well.
When I write a song, it usually comes to me immediately and I write it front to back in a matter of minutes. Entire songs with lyrics have come to me in my head just from hearing a chord played a certain way or a particular instrument. If I have to concentrate on something I'm writing or spend more than a couple of hours on it, then I lose the feeling I had when I started it and 99.9999% of the time I end up scrapping it. Hard to explain really, other than it's like the chords and lyrics are already known to me even though I've never heard it or thought about it before and it just comes out of me.

The recording aspect of it is a completely different story for me. I've taken 5 months to finish some recordings and scrapped them to start over completely.

As for the song/vid you posted. Very nice. No crits that I can think of.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
jamesyoyo
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3460
Re:Ever wonder? 2011/08/16 07:08:19 (permalink)
I will wonder no more!
Guitarhacker
Re:Ever wonder? 2011/08/16 08:42:22 (permalink)
James.... it's the things of nightmares.....

Bub... I hear what you're saying. I used to write something in one setting and call it done. I had heard about rewriting but I'd look at the tune, and think.... this is perfect just the way it is... it's brilliant!  I have written a number of songs in that manner.... pretty much star to finish in under an hour.   Then I discovered or, more properly,  learned how to re-write a song. (still trying to perfect that art).  I do not recall all the things that happened with this particular song, but let me try to explain the writing of this song.

Jimmy Gentry wrote a song, it was the last ones he wrote  Finish What I Started . I asked if he wanted to rewrite it with me... to maybe make things flow a bit better in a few places. He liked it like it was and so he declined, but told me to use what I wanted except the hook & title.

I contacted my cowriter Pat, sent her Jimmys tune and asked if she wanted to write a song "like this" but we would not use anything from it at all. Nothing.....Only the feel of this song, and being about love.

She agreed and in a day or two sent me an almost complete song lyric. I took what she sent me and started to work on structure, flow, melody, and of course, from reading what she wrote, I had a bunch of ideas, so I deleted entire verses and even the chorus that she wrote and inserted the things I was wanting to say in the song. I sent it back to her.  She then did the same thing to the whole song..... leaving some of my parts, replacing others including some of her original stuff with new or stuff  that fit better. 
We bounced it back and forth like that about 6 or 7 times and called it done.  

THEN..... after a few  months or so, I listened to it again and something in the bridge didn't set right with me...yeah it was OK but it wasn't hitting that magic spot. So I asked if she'd like to work it some more. We went back and forth about 6 or 7 more times on just the bridge and maybe one other place in it.

That's the art of rewriting a song. We (I) hold nothing in anything I write as sacred or untouchable. A first draft is just that...a starting point towards a song. I do the same thing with the songs that I write by myself.
This song Just Another Rainy Day is a prime example. I wrote the rough draft in an hour on day 1 and did some rewrites on that day as well. I started putting the music together also, melody, groove, chords, structure.  Day 2 I made several more changes to lyric and began the recording. After getting the tracks done, I went back and worked on lyrics again. I think it was start to finish in 3 or 4 days since it was for a film project submission with TAXI and there was a short time frame. I asked Pat if she wanted to write it with me but she was unavailable and by the time she got back to me it was done. I still made the equivalent of 6 or 7 bounces while rewriting it myself. AND..... a few months back I changed a few more words in it. Those changes are not in the version above.  One word can make all the difference in the world.  (fall became walk)

That is just a little behind the scenes look at my writing process. It might not work for everyone, but....everyone should be rewriting everything they write. It is a rare thing for a first draft to be the final product. (hit quality)

BMI/NSAI

Guitarhacker
Re:Ever wonder? 2011/08/16 08:44:38 (permalink)
radio

Nice one Herb ! Hey Herb if your going to post a good song like yours on youtube  , a nice country shirt would look much better then a tee-shirt .

Radio

It was designed to be more of a... "this is me in the studio" as opposed to a music video.  I would have to go shirtless and oil my bod if it was a music video, but then I would create extreme levels of jealousy in this forum so ...... yeah a T-shirt worked for me.

BMI/NSAI

jamesyoyo
Re:Ever wonder? 2011/08/16 11:38:25 (permalink)
Bub

Guitarhacker

When I write a song, it usually comes to me immediately and I write it front to back in a matter of minutes. Entire songs with lyrics have come to me in my head just from hearing a chord played a certain way or a particular instrument. If I have to concentrate on something I'm writing or spend more than a couple of hours on it, then I lose the feeling I had when I started it and 99.9999% of the time I end up scrapping it. Hard to explain really, other than it's like the chords and lyrics are already known to me even though I've never heard it or thought about it before and it just comes out of me.

The recording aspect of it is a completely different story for me. I've taken 5 months to finish some recordings and scrapped them to start over completely.

That's quite a different expeience from how I get songs out.
I almost always write songs while starting to record something. I find a chord, or groove, and start noodling and get the idea down. For example, about two years ago I bought a POD X3.  I was a kid in a candy store with all the new tones and textures, and dropped about 20 songs worth of riffs and chord changes in about a month. It seems I can always get an idea and write a verse/chorus pretty quick. But then, if nothing is particularly moving me, I will move on to something else.  But the idea is preserved and ready to be worked on. A few days ago I had an idea for one of those tunes, dusted it off, and started re-recording the bass and a few guitar tracks, and made some fine-tunings to the drums. I used a bit of the scratch vocals and added a bunch more, and wrote the rest of the words, and now I should be done by tomorrow with it.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Herb, but I do find it fascinating how we all do what we do.

jamesyoyo
Re:Ever wonder? 2011/08/16 11:42:31 (permalink)
Bub

Guitarhacker

That's quite a different expeience from how I get songs out.
I almost always write songs while starting to record something. I find a chord, or groove, and start noodling and get the idea down. For example, about two years ago I bought a POD X3.  I was a kid in a candy store with all the new tones and textures, and dropped about 20 songs worth of riffs and chord changes in about a month. It seems I can always get an idea and write a verse/chorus pretty quick. But then, if nothing is particularly moving me, I will move on to something else.  But the idea is preserved and ready to be worked on. A few days ago I had an idea for one of those tunes, dusted it off, and started re-recording the bass and a few guitar tracks, and made some fine-tunings to the drums. I used a bit of the scratch vocals and added a bunch more, and wrote the rest of the words, and now I should be done by tomorrow with it.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Herb, but I do find it fascinating how we all do what we do.

Guitarhacker
Re:Ever wonder? 2011/08/16 12:21:39 (permalink)
no problem James.... yeah it is cool how differently we work and still we all manage to come up with some pretty impressive music.

That's what makes this such an interesting place to hang out.

BMI/NSAI

Tap
Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4536
Re:Ever wonder? 2011/08/16 19:04:52 (permalink)
Great work Herb. I really enjoyed watching your approach to music production. You are very talented.  Thanks for sharing this!

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

mstodge
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 984
Re:Ever wonder? 2011/08/18 08:15:34 (permalink)
The vocals are wonderful as usual Herb. Good video and real nice song too.
I had to subscribe to your youtube.
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re:Ever wonder? 2011/08/18 21:35:44 (permalink)
Great gravy, that was cool. Great song, great voice, and the video was over the top. You done good! I like that SG too...

Julien

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1