"Face the Fire" 3/6/11 (Hopefully Final Remix)

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Bob Oister
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2766
Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/23 17:53:04 (permalink)
jamesyoyo:  Thanks again for your observations and suggestions!

I backed the hi pass on the bass down to 60hz, and the guitar bus is hi passed at 120hz.  I'm going to try bumping the bass up another notch or two tonight, along with "re-fattening" the drum bus, which I I think I thinned out a little too much.  Are you talking about adding room reverb to the drums when you mentioned widening in your last post, or just beefing them up with eq?  I assume you didn't mean panning.

Many thanks again for all your help!
Bob
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rockinrobby:  Yeah, buddy, I know what you mean.  I started out this remix to thin out what seemed like a lot of low end on other stereo systems, and I think I thinned it all the way into complete "anorexia"!  I'm going to keep working until I get that punch back into the mix, I promise!

P.S. Your "crack" about your buddy working at the hydrocolon therapy clinic, almost had my coffee squirting out of my nose.  I guess it could have been worse if I was one of his clients! 

Have a good one!
Bob
vechung
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 818
Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/23 18:05:15 (permalink)
Wow!  Nice vocals, guitar playing and overall production.  It really sounds slick.  I would bring up the bass a bit more also.

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
NORTH IDAHO
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 77
Re:"Face the Fire" Remix 2-21(Power Rock) 2011/02/23 19:38:33 (permalink)
Bob

I love this kind of stuff.  I wish I could play guitar like that.  Good vocals as well.  I'm just listening through earbuds on my computer at the office, so my opinion might not be as valid as others.  I thought the bass still wasnt there, and in opposition to some others I though the drums could be back up in the mix.  The guitars are such a wall of good sound, maybe they are just buried a bit.  GOOD JOB!

sonar 7 producer , sweetwater creation station 250, focusrite pro 40
Bob Oister
Re:"Face the Fire" Remix 2-21(Power Rock) 2011/02/24 19:47:06 (permalink)
CreatingNoise:

Hi, Tony, thanks so much for weighing in on this remix, and for your input and words of encouragement! 

I was away from the studio for an extended time of almost two months, and I feel like I can't trust my own ears until I get back into the swing of things again.  Some of our fellow forumites are still having a hard time hearing the bass on this mix, although I realize that can also be a matter of personal preference, genre standards, etc.  So, I'm still tweaking things a bit.

Thanks again for your time, opinion and observations.  I really appreciate all the input and advice that you and Tom have offered me over the last two years here!

Have a good one!
Bob
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RockingChair:

Hey, Bobby,

Thanks, buddy, I really appreciate you taking time to give this a listen and also your very kind comments!

Thanks again for your input, and have a great night!
Bob 
Bob Oister
Re:"Face the Fire" Remix 2-21(Power Rock) 2011/02/25 04:20:02 (permalink)
EDIT: Remix #3 up 2/25/11

I beefed up the drums a little, and tried adding a slight amount of chorus and a touch of gritty distortion to the bass track to make it stand out a bit more from the guitars.  I'm hoping it's slowly, but surely getting there, let me know what you guys think!

Thanks,
Bob
jamesyoyo
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3460
Re:"Face the Fire" Remix 2-21(Power Rock) 2011/02/25 07:16:37 (permalink)
Needs more bass still. Sorry!

One other thing: I think this is such a strong tune that you should revisit the drums. The off-beat 8th note hihats just don't propel the song at all, same with the kick. Get a four on the floor and try that out, I think you might be pleased.
evadianepug
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4477
Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/25 13:12:21 (permalink)
Wow, almost knoced me off of my chair.  I listen to everything totally loud and you caught me off guard.  That's great!!  This is a great tock tune, Bob, once again establishing you as one of, if not the top rocker up here.  Blew me away!  The mix sounds just great to me.  You must have raised the bass, like J-YoYo suggested.  It's full in my earphones.  Did I say great rock tune, and awesome leads!!

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
THE PUGTONES
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
SonarX3
Bob Oister
Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/25 17:25:49 (permalink)
giankap:

Hello, Ioannis,

Thank you very much for giving this a listen, and also for your kind words of encouragement!  I truly appreciate your time and input.

Best wishes!
Bob
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

SteveStrummerUK:

Hi, Steve,

How's my good friend from "across the pond" doing?  I hope your gearing up for a rip-roaring weekend! 

Thanks for checking this remix out for me, and for your very kind comments.  This morning I posted mix #3 with the drums beefed up a bit and a touch of chorus and distortion to help the bass guitar cut through a little better.  Does the bass sound in the ballpark on your system?  If you get a chance, let me know what you think.

Thanks again for all the great help and advice that you've provided in the past, I really appreciate it!

Bob
twisted6s
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2001
Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/25 17:31:29 (permalink)
You're FIRE with guitar!!

Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 ghz processor, 8 gig ram, 2.5Tb drives, Sonar Platinum, Lynx L22, FMR Audio RNP & RNC, Mackie HR824, Neumann tlm 103, Window 10 64
https://soundcloud.com/twisted6s/sets/tony-pruden

Bob Oister
Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/25 21:33:05 (permalink)
vechung:

Hello, Vicente, thank you very much for checking this song out for me, and for your very kind comments and observations!  This morning I uploaded a new mix with some changes to the bass track, which will hopefully make it a bit easier to hear.

Thanks again for taking the time to listen and comment, it really means a lot to me to hear your opinion, and I truly appreciate your input.

Have a great weekend!
Bob
Bob Oister
Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/26 18:11:03 (permalink)
NORTH IDAHO:

Hi, John,

Thanks you for checking out this song for me, and for your kind comments and valuable input!

I beefed up the drums a little and made a few changes to the bass track, and hopefully it's starting to shape up a little better.  I'm going to try to bump up the bass even a little more over the weekend.

Thanks for giving this a listen and for taking time to let me know what you think, It's truly appreciated!

Bob
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jamesyoyo:

Hi, James,

Thanks for coming back, and for your continued help and ideas with this one!  It really means a lot to me.

I'm going to bump up the bass a little more over the weekend, and maybe I'll try experimenting with the drums as per your suggestion.  I was tentative about the closed hi-hats during the verses, and actually thought about just removing them completely during the verses.  I really want to get this mix as decent as possible, but it's starting to drive me nuts!

Thanks again for all of your fine input and suggestions, have a great weekend!
Bob

Scottytunes
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5695
Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/26 18:23:46 (permalink)
Loving it even more now!
Dang!

You knock rock
outta the park!

String Jammer
Bob Oister
Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/27 04:40:36 (permalink)
EDIT 4: Remix #4 up 2/27/11

I beefed up the drums a little bit more, and removed the chorus and grit that I added to the bass on the last mix.  (I think the chorus made the bass sound sort of "cuppy" on the higher notes.)

So, I ended up re-equing the bass trying to fatten it, and added another 2db bump.  As the guy in the Verizon commercials used to say, "Can You Hear Me Now?"!    I'm at your mercy, let me know what you guys think!

Thanks,
Bob 

SteveStrummerUK
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/27 07:03:16 (permalink)
Bob Oister

SteveStrummerUK:

Hi, Steve,

How's my good friend from "across the pond" doing?  I hope your gearing up for a rip-roaring weekend! 

Thanks for checking this remix out for me, and for your very kind comments.  This morning I posted mix #3 with the drums beefed up a bit and a touch of chorus and distortion to help the bass guitar cut through a little better.  Does the bass sound in the ballpark on your system?  If you get a chance, let me know what you think.

Thanks again for all the great help and advice that you've provided in the past, I really appreciate it!

Bob

Hi Bob

I've just taken a listen to mix #4 and it sounds superb here buddy.

I can see what James was saying about the bass beforehand, but it's really sounding good now - it's got a lovely warm rumble underpinning the rest of the track.

Catch you soon

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

jamesyoyo
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3460
Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/27 07:31:11 (permalink)
The drums sound a bit phatter. The bass sounds okay. However, if you are going to start verses without it, you better make it's impact felt when it does come in, and it just doesn't do it for me when it does. Give it another db.
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re:"Face the Fire" Remix #4, 2-27-11 (Power Rock) 2011/02/27 13:19:51 (permalink)
Bob,

I've enjoyed your stuff for some time now. Another great piece. Thanks for sharing.
Bob Oister
Re:"Face the Fire" Remix #4, 2-27-11 (Power Rock) 2011/02/27 19:11:14 (permalink)
evadianepug:

Hi, Warren,

Thank you very much, my friend, for checking this out for me, and for your very kind words of encouragement!  I'm still tweaking the bass levels in very small increments, looking for a happy medium.

I really appreciate, and always look forward to your input and observations.  I also just want to mention what an amazing job you did on your latest post with Dena and the two Garys.  It was absolutely fantastic, and a very pro sounding production!

Thanks again, Warren, and have a great night!
Bob
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

twisted6s:

Hey, Tony,

How are you, buddy?  Hope your having a great weekend!

Thanks for giving this a listen and also for your very kind comment, I really appreciate it.

Have a good one!
Bob
Kroneborge
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1300
Re:"Face the Fire" Remix #4, 2-27-11 (Power Rock) 2011/02/27 19:19:29 (permalink)
I'm really liking this song.   Great guitar licks, and I love the beat, although, I agree I couldn't feel much kick or bass.

Still even without that, It's a jamming song, well done.

Mathew

Hip Hop
http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

mcourter
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3442
Re:"Face the Fire" Remix #4, 2-27-11 (Power Rock) 2011/02/27 19:50:22 (permalink)
Great tune, Bob. If I recall correctly, this is a warmer sounding mix than the last. Terrific drum track. Perhaps the bass could come up a notch, and to my aging ears the bgv could come up just the tiniest bit. I like the harmony lead guitars, especially the second half, where you get pretty flashy, nice picking. Great tone on the rhythm guitars throughout. Well balanced mix. excellent work.
Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
Unbridled Enthusiasm
 My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/27 19:55:09 (permalink)
LOUD AND PROUD!!!

hey, Bob!  this is very cool!  I didn't hear any of the previous versions, but this is very good rockin' stuff!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
Bob Oister
Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/28 17:38:26 (permalink)
Scottytunes:

Hey, Scotty,

Thank you kind sir, for revisiting this for me and for the extra input!  I really appreciate it, and I can use all the help that I can get on getting this song into shape!

Have a good one!
Bob
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SteveStrummerUK:

Hey, Steve,

Thanks for coming back and giving this one another listen for me, I really appreciate you taking the time to give me a second opinion on the new mix!

Your opinion is always very important to me because I know we have similar tastes and classic rock/metal backgrounds, and I also know you have an excellent set of ears!

Thanks again, my friend, have a good one!
Bob
rockinrobby
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1265
Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/28 18:25:42 (permalink)
:-) I can feel that bass now :-D I really dig this tune. 

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
Bob Oister
Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/28 20:01:22 (permalink)
Kroneborge:

Hi, Matthew,

Thank you very much for checking this song out for me, and for your very kind words!  I'm still going to try bumping up the bass and kick one more time, hopefully tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks again for giving this a listen, and for your input, I truly appreciate it!
Bob
CreatingNoise
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1666
Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/28 20:56:03 (permalink)
Bob,
  I can listen to this tune over and over, it just freakin rocks.  I'm not trying to play down the validity of going for the strongest mix but every version of this song has sounded great to me.  Yes, there have been differences but I think the bottom line is that you are in the groove with the mix.  I personally don't like to listen to mixes on my studio monitors (that probably has more to do with my room and my own inexperience in mixing than the quality of the monitors).  I like to listen to mixes where I normally listen to music.  So for my ears, the tune is a winner.  In fact the more I listen to a tune, the less I tend to hear the particulars of the mix and just start connecting with the tune. 

No disrespect to the other posters of course, lots of very good inputs/insights as usual.  Good luck on your continuing quest for the right mix on this one.  In the meantime, I'll kick back, pop a cold one and freakin rock out with it!!!   

Bob Oister
Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/03/01 17:28:39 (permalink)
jamesyoyo:

Hi, James,

Thanks again for your continued help with this one, and for all your observations and advice!  I'm hoping to give the bass and the kick drum another little bump up either tonight or tomorrow.

It's funny, I'm actually finding myself kind of putting back a lot of the low end that I had removed from the original mix.  I scaled back the low end from the original after listening to it on several different stereo systems, but it looks from all of the current feedback, like my original post six months ago was actually fuller sounding tonality-wise.

Thanks again, James, I appreciate your ideas and advice!
Bob
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bapu:

Hi, Ed,

How are you, buddy?  Doing great, I hope!

Thank you very much for weighing in on this one for me, and for your kind words and comments.  You always do such a great job with the CHB, and I truly appreciate you giving it a listen, and also your input and opinion.

Have a good one, Ed!

Bob
marcos69
Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4950
Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/03/01 18:25:15 (permalink)
Hi Bob.  I remember this tune.  I love the tune and the mix is going very well.  Sounds bigger than before.  I have to agree with James on the bass.  It's not hitting me enough here and I'm listening with a sub.  I think it needs the gain raised a bit for more energy, but I think you also need to eq in some more definition.  Do an eq sweep and find the sweet spots, but maybe a boost around 300 or so to warm it a bit, but be careful of too much so it doesn't "bloom" or get muddy.  Maybe something higher around 800 for some definition.  Like I said I'd do a sweep to find the areas first, it's hard to say without having your track here in Sonar.  I'm just trying to remember similar projects of mine where this helped.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
Bob Oister
Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/03/02 18:53:58 (permalink)
mcourter:

Hey, Mark,

How are you, buddy?  It's really great to see you around!

Thanks for checking in on this one for me, and for your kind comments and observations.  I'm hoping to give the bass another small bump up tonight or tomorrow, and I will also try your suggestion on the background vox.

I really appreciate and always look forward to your input and ideas, have a good one!
Bob
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beagle:

Hi, Reece,

Thank you very much, kind sir!  It's great to hear from you, my friend.  I greatly appreciate you giving this a listen, and also your wonderful words of encouragement.

I'm always happy when somebody with a good set of ears, like yours, lets me know how it sounds on your system.  This is what really makes this forum invaluable to me.  Especially after being away from my studio for en extended amount of time and having to readjust to my listening environment.

Thanks again, and have a great night!
Bob

shawn@trustmedia.tv
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2136
Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/03/02 20:15:00 (permalink)
I could only get 28 seconds to play...epic intro

Studio SONAR X3. Axiom 25 midi controller, DUNE 2, Producer Content, Good Times, Bandlab Mojo

acoustigod
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 104
Re:"Face the Fire" Remix #4, 2-27-11 (Power Rock) 2011/03/02 23:20:06 (permalink)
This is a really cool tune. Reminds me of the 80's rock I used to listen to when I was really young... like 5 and 6 ;)

There's a few comments.

1. The bass is a little too loud I think. There's come pumping going on, and it's doesn't seem even. Maybe some compression or tip limiting would smooth it out. Maybe lowering the volume would fix it. I'd have to have the files to really know how to fix it because I'd probably want to listen to it in isolation and with other things to isolate the problem. Just letting you know there's some issues there.

2. The left guitar doesn't quite sound right. It's a little muddy. When the right guitar comes in, it sounds so much better, but the right guitar isn't really gluing with it still. I think there needs to be some slight EQ changes here. Don't make it the same as the right guitar obviously, because there is a very cool contrast between the two guitars when the right guitar kicks in. Just fiddle with the EQ to get rid of the muddiness in it. Maybe boost it's mids more. Play with it ;)

3. I think there's some weird gating going on with the guitars, especially the left guitar. When the volume gets really low, it cuts out prematurely. When you set the gate, make sure the tails of louder waves are allowed to pass through while still killing the sound for new waves of very low volume.

4. The rides/hats in the chorus are too bright and tisky. I'd darken them. This might have happened as a result of brightening up the whole mix, which is tonal fine for the most part - but the hats/rides in the chorus are very hard on the ears - it's piercing. Maybe even run a de-esser on the whole mix if you can't isolate the problem, but you can easily fix this in the hats and overhead tracks.

5. Reduce overall limiting. The track is a tad too loud - especially if your going for this ozzy/van halen kind of sound. They had a lot more dynamic range back then.

Hope this helps ;) Cool tune!

Need a song, demo or album mixed to sound great? Why waste weeks or months learning how to mix when I'm sure you'd rather spend your time writing songs and performing gigs? I can mix your tracks so that they sound fantastic. My rates are very affordable. Send me a PM to find out more.
Bob Oister
Re:"Face the Fire" Remix #4, 2-27-11 (Power Rock) 2011/03/03 20:17:34 (permalink)
rockinrobby:

Hi, Robby,

Thanks, buddy, for giving this another listen for me, and for your kind words of encouragement!

I appreciate the input on the updated mix.  You did a really great job on "In Time", and it seems like you went through the same kind of thing that I'm going through with this song, with lots of mix revisions.  I wonder if this mixing stuff ever ends up getting any easier, and if a mix is ever "really finished"!

Have a good one!
Bob
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CreatingNoise:

Hey, Tony,

Thanks for revisiting this one for me, and for your kind words and supportive advice!

LOL, you are 100% correct, I actually went the other way when I was unable to get any time listening in my studio, and ended up listening only on multiple home and car systems for about two months.  After finally getting back into the studio, I feel like everything sounds completely different, but after a couple weeks back, my ears are finally starting to adjust and I'm seeking a happy medium that translates as well as possible.

I really think that the wide disparity of what type of systems people listen on can sometimes confuse the issue.  For example, on this current mix, some people on the forum can still barely hear any bass, and a couple said they thought the bass was too loud, while a few thought it sounded about right, so I'm aiming for a happy medium that hopefully sounds decent for the most part.

Thanks again for all the help and advice that you and Tom provide to me on a regular basis, I really appreciate it, especially because of the consistent, excellent quality of your work.

Have a good one, buddy!
Bob

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1