Factory P-Funk Presents: a funk magnum opus...Rise Atlantis

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
blipp
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7006
Re:Factory P-Funk Presents: a funk magnum opus...Rise Atlantis 2011/03/15 18:17:50 (permalink)
Absolutely brilliant in every department.  That funky bass is killer. Loved the rhythm guitar too. It's all good.

You're a master at many different genre's and this one is no exception.

One of the very best mixes i've heard on this forum i'd say.

Enjoyed this a lot.

Top work James.
Truckermusic
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1924
Re:Factory P-Funk Presents: a funk magnum opus...Rise Atlantis 2011/03/15 19:59:08 (permalink)
I loved this groove......

I think you got it Man!

Clifford

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
16 Gig of Ram 
4.5 Gighz
Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
Unibrain Firewire Card
Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
Mackie Big Knob
NI Komplete 8
Machine 2
jamesyoyo
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3460
Re:Factory P-Funk Presents: a funk magnum opus...Rise Atlantis 2011/03/16 15:29:53 (permalink)
thepogue

lol...yea...LOVE the horn sound!! yea love the bass break

@ 2:07 where you come in w/the vox on-beat "Drown-in-da-funk"...love the way that popped off there...very nice touch!

A+ on the mix and production,....just glad we didnt decide to do a collab on this tune...I just don't do well in bell bottoms and platform shoes any more!

great job!

Don't you worry, we will find something to work on!
RobertB

jamesyoyo

I did a new type of mixing style on this one Janet.  Less control, more hair.  The drums are phat due to three kicks (AD Pearl, Battery 3 sub, and Battery 3 club kicks), and three snares.

I was just thinking what a potent mix this was when I read that.
It's a good thing we're in the digital age. I wonder if this wouldn't blow the needle out of the groove on vinyl?
Very punchy, and the mix is up to your usual standards.
Nice.
I have another version with less harmonic distortion on the vocal that I need to put up. But you are right, the needle would fly off the turntable with that much sub-50hz energy.

Slow Marching Band

This is really great stuff James. I think the funk is what you do best, it really exudes enjoyment, like your absolutely relishing putting all your favourite 'bits' in. Loved it. Did I hear a tiny 'Ride on Time' sample in there at 0:40? Beautiful mix too, everything clear and defined.

James

I like to think of funk as fun-k, so that is probably why the enthusiasm comes thru.
jamesyoyo
Re:Factory P-Funk Presents: a funk magnum opus...Rise Atlantis 2011/03/16 15:31:15 (permalink)
blipp

Absolutely brilliant in every department.  That funky bass is killer. Loved the rhythm guitar too. It's all good.

You're a master at many different genre's and this one is no exception.

One of the very best mixes i've heard on this forum i'd say.

Enjoyed this a lot.

Top work James.

Glad ya liked it, Blipp, but you are too kind about the mix. Everytime I listen to it I hear something else I did wrong!
Truckermusic

I loved this groove......

I think you got it Man!

Clifford
Thanks, Cliff m'man.

The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:Factory P-Funk Presents: a funk magnum opus...Rise Atlantis 2011/03/16 15:54:16 (permalink)
I am very hesitant to say anything less than 100% positive about this song, but hopefully this will be constructive.

This sounds more like the Red Hot Chili Peppers than 70's funk.

The real stuff has a bit more space, less filla, more short quiet spots that make the dynamics pop out and grab your eyeballs.

Mr Clinton has a house and practice space in the woods about 30 miles east of here. We got the funk.

The roots of it come from gospel music rather than alt rock.

Perhaps you may revisit the mix and pay some respects to the space between the stabs and pops I think it will sound even heavier.

Maybe minimize sustain on the guitar, synths and horns... and make some room with arrangement by holding the backing vocals back just enough to make a pause effect before coming in.

Or Not.

It s a great song and mix as it is... but my expectations became predisposed to hearing the older 70's sound.

all the very best,
mike

jamesyoyo
Re:Factory P-Funk Presents: a funk magnum opus...Rise Atlantis 2011/03/16 18:08:45 (permalink)
mike_mccue

I am very hesitant to say anything less than 100% positive about this song, but hopefully this will be constructive.

This sounds more like the Red Hot Chili Peppers than 70's funk.

The real stuff has a bit more space, less filla, more short quiet spots that make the dynamics pop out and grab your eyeballs.

Mr Clinton has a house and practice space in the woods about 30 miles east of here. We got the funk.

The roots of it come from gospel music rather than alt rock.

Perhaps you may revisit the mix and pay some respects to the space between the stabs and pops I think it will sound even heavier.

Maybe minimize sustain on the guitar, synths and horns... and make some room with arrangement by holding the backing vocals back just enough to make a pause effect before coming in.

Or Not.

It s a great song and mix as it is... but my expectations became predisposed to hearing the older 70's sound.

all the very best,
mike
Thanks for the listen and the insight, Mike. I do a lot of tunes that start out as an homage, such as this, but I always find myself sneaking in other parts and styles that end up making it my own.  And I guess against the strict template of the mid-70s P-Funk, I can see where you're coming from. However, listening to a bunch of the later stuff (Atomic Dog, Computer Games) I think the more fusion-y style I appropriated sorta fits in; the digital synth that underpins the Drowning in the funk part is an example of that. And the pop-lover in me can't resist beating a hook to death, hence my enhanced horn sections. But there is not any sustain on the guitar at all; perhaps you are hearing the clav (similar freq range)? I goofed around with getting rid of those weird sustained chords during the chorus, but I really like the color they provided.

Either way, always good to hear from ya!

darylcrowley
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2700
Re:Factory P-Funk Presents: a funk magnum opus...Rise Atlantis 2011/03/16 23:19:04 (permalink)
You're on a roll man!  A lot of really cool stuff here.  I'm boppin' now!

Very nice!

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
Windows 7 64bit Professional
Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
http://www.darylcrowley.com/
jamesyoyo
Re:Factory P-Funk Presents: a funk magnum opus...Rise Atlantis 2011/03/17 14:06:44 (permalink)
darylcrowley

You're on a roll man!  A lot of really cool stuff here.  I'm boppin' now!

Very nice!

Daryl

Thanks, D!
Alegria
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2075
Re:Factory P-Funk Presents: a funk magnum opus...Rise Atlantis 2011/03/17 14:22:02 (permalink)
I'm not familiar with George Clinton, Bootsy Collins and the Parliament Funkadelic All Stars but you've got to be kidding me!! It's got James Brown written all over it (especially at the beginning). I'm seriously impressed. Cranking it up some more... excellent bass solo, I agree. The mix is outstanding on the speakers. Great production! Spread that energy/funk around James, the time is right. 

jamesyoyo
Re:Factory P-Funk Presents: a funk magnum opus...Rise Atlantis 2011/03/19 07:42:45 (permalink)
Alegria

I'm not familiar with George Clinton, Bootsy Collins and the Parliament Funkadelic All Stars but you've got to be kidding me!! It's got James Brown written all over it (especially at the beginning). I'm seriously impressed. Cranking it up some more... excellent bass solo, I agree. The mix is outstanding on the speakers. Great production! Spread that energy/funk around James, the time is right. 

JB, huh? okay, JC, I will take it!
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:Factory P-Funk Presents: a funk magnum opus...Rise Atlantis 2011/03/19 07:47:04 (permalink)

James Brown?

Maceo!!!

Loptec
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 948
Re:Factory P-Funk Presents: a funk magnum opus...Rise Atlantis 2011/03/19 15:16:23 (permalink)
Love it! :D

SAMUEL LIDSTRÖM

DAW: Sonar Platinum (64bit) with Melodyne Studio - Controllers: Roland VS-700C, Cakewalk A-500 Pro, Yamaha P90
Desktop Audio Interface: RME HDSPe RayDAT - Laptop Audio Interface: RME Babyface Pro

morenoise
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1074
Re:Factory P-Funk Presents: a funk magnum opus...Rise Atlantis 2011/03/20 09:24:02 (permalink)
Hi James, apart from being an excellent piece of music, this has something that is missing from a lot of music ........ fun.

Greetings, Rik
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re:Factory P-Funk Presents: a funk magnum opus...Rise Atlantis 2011/03/20 10:48:45 (permalink)
Wow James, this is definitely impressive. I gave this a listen a few days ago and the phone rang before I had a chance to comment. Glad I came back to listen again because the tune was even better this time.

I have nothing but good things to say about this and totally love how this came out. I love the roots of the 70's yet with a bit of a now sound too. All the parts were great and to me, there's nothing I would change. The mix is healthy, eq curves are perfect and I'd be quite proud of this. That bass groove is just ruthless man! Dug the vocs and the funky guitar parts. Drums fit the mix perfectly.

I'm curious though....did you try messing with any modern sounding drums on this? I'd love to hear what this would sound like with a drum sound and drum style like..hmm....ooh I know...Carter from the Dave Mathews band! That poppy cracky snare, his drum style along with that bass line. It would probably take away from the "era" this tune brings its listeners back to...but I bet it would still sound pretty killer. :) That of course is not a bash on the drums you chose or the parts you wrote...which are fine just the way they are. I'd just be curious to hear it with a more modern sound/style like Carter...can ya hear it now that I've made a mention of it? :) Great job on everything here...man, those horns hit so perfectly too....what a monster tune brother. :)
post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/03/20 10:49:53

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
shawn@trustmedia.tv
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2136
Re:Factory P-Funk Presents: a funk magnum opus...Rise Atlantis 2011/03/21 10:09:23 (permalink)
Listening to the bass solo right now....it's bringin in the FUNK!

Studio SONAR X3. Axiom 25 midi controller, DUNE 2, Producer Content, Good Times, Bandlab Mojo

Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
Re:Factory P-Funk Presents: a funk magnum opus...Rise Atlantis 2011/03/22 23:11:22 (permalink)
Hilarious and gleefully insane --haha:

by 2:43, things are capsiding and headed off-the-deep end ... drowning in the funk --haha!

The enchantments are most excellent!

I'd suppose this is not quite as epic as your last offering, but this is much funnier, frenzier, and fanatic.  Another awesome production.

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
Scottytunes
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5695
Re:Factory P-Funk Presents: a funk magnum opus...Rise Atlantis 2011/03/23 06:12:52 (permalink)
This is funkily delicious!  Thanks for the reminder to start using my pre and compressor/limiter on the bass again. It sounded better when I used it and I have not done so in a long time.

String Jammer
mgh
  • Total Posts : 8594
Re:Factory P-Funk Presents: a funk magnum opus...Rise Atlantis 2011/03/23 07:25:40 (permalink)
what the funk?! awesomeness wrapped in perfection with a side-serving of genius. suits your vox perfectly!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
jamesyoyo
Re:Factory P-Funk Presents: a funk magnum opus...Rise Atlantis 2011/03/24 10:55:48 (permalink)
Loptek, Rik, Shawn@, Scotty, Mark, Philip:

Thanks!

Danny:

Never crossed my mind to do that CB-type drum style. Though now that you mention it, it might be something to look into.
As for the groove, I originally had a different bass line, but Tony at Twisted6s dogged on me for sounding too much Sly Stone, so I changed it considerably. And thanks for the horns comment. I tweaked the siht outta the samples I had to get them in time and tune.

batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re:Factory P-Funk Presents: a funk magnum opus...Rise Atlantis 2011/03/24 17:37:05 (permalink)

ha! funky dude, nice.
reminds me a cross between JB, wild cherry, and ohio players
lyric definitely falls into the pfunk territory

lots of tracks, i dig hearing it all pile up and stay clear.

danny's comment about the DM drum sound/style, would totally work in this.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

folkeman
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 85
Re:Factory P-Funk Presents: a funk magnum opus...Rise Atlantis 2011/03/26 06:32:32 (permalink)
James – I really admire your craftsmanship and musicianship. Incredible! The arrangement is so creative and full of ideas, yet it’s not cluttered and the mix is clear and well balanced. Great! 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=736392
notnat
Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5236
Re:Factory P-Funk Presents: a funk magnum opus...Rise Atlantis 2011/03/27 15:47:20 (permalink)
I love this James... really well done...
I think your best yet...
jamesyoyo
Re:Factory P-Funk Presents: a funk magnum opus...Rise Atlantis 2011/03/28 16:24:06 (permalink)
batsbrew

ha! funky dude, nice.
reminds me a cross between JB, wild cherry, and ohio players
lyric definitely falls into the pfunk territory

lots of tracks, i dig hearing it all pile up and stay clear.

danny's comment about the DM drum sound/style, would totally work in this.
I tried to get some of GC's loopiness in them lyrics, so glad you felt them, Bat.

folkeman

James – I really admire your craftsmanship and musicianship. Incredible! The arrangement is so creative and full of ideas, yet it’s not cluttered and the mix is clear and well balanced. Great! 
Gracias!

notnat

I love this James... really well done...
I think your best yet...
I always think the latest song I've done is my best, but this one I felt pretty confident about it's best-ness.

geeare1
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1906
Re:Factory P-Funk Presents: a funk magnum opus...Rise Atlantis 2011/03/28 18:57:52 (permalink)
Hi James,

haha...what a blast!  This is just fantastic.

Love your vocal(s).  Guitar and bass parts/tone are perfect.

Production and mix are topnotch, as always.

"Drowning in the funk" seems like a pretty strong hook to me...great stuff.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
jamesyoyo
Re:Factory P-Funk Presents: a funk magnum opus...Rise Atlantis 2011/03/29 17:52:26 (permalink)
Gary:

Glad you got the "fun" vibe I was going for. That bass part was great fun to play, but a real pain to get into a mix.
CreatingNoise
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1666
Re:Factory P-Funk Presents: a funk magnum opus...Rise Atlantis 2011/04/01 12:59:12 (permalink)
phANTASTIC!!!

phUNKY!!!

pheel the groove!

Nice work man!!!!  Love that groove and the attitude laden vocals.
Jonbouy
  • Total Posts : 22562
Re:Factory P-Funk Presents: a funk magnum opus...Rise Atlantis 2011/04/02 14:04:26 (permalink)
Blam!

I get what Mike is saying there but I've still got some old vinyl if I want to hear that sound, I'm loving the full on richness that this has.

I'll bet this was a pig to get everything firing on the button but the attention put in really makes it motor nicely.

Pity I'm likely to fall over if I tried to get up and do my thing these days but I can still feel it when I hear something like this.

Masterful.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
jamesyoyo
Re:Factory P-Funk Presents: a funk magnum opus...Rise Atlantis 2011/04/04 18:43:18 (permalink)
CreatingNoise

phANTASTIC!!!

phUNKY!!!

pheel the groove!

Nice work man!!!!  Love that groove and the attitude laden vocals.

Glad ya dug the stone cold groove I wuz laying down!
Jonbouy

Blam!

I get what Mike is saying there but I've still got some old vinyl if I want to hear that sound, I'm loving the full on richness that this has.

I'll bet this was a pig to get everything firing on the button but the attention put in really makes it motor nicely.

Pity I'm likely to fall over if I tried to get up and do my thing these days but I can still feel it when I hear something like this.

Masterful.

I am not sure a pig, but once I found the right bass patch, it all kinda fell in with a little (well, major!) eq cut. The big thing was getting the bass to underpin without overwhelming.
Jonbouy
  • Total Posts : 22562
Re:Factory P-Funk Presents: a funk magnum opus...Rise Atlantis 2011/04/04 19:42:14 (permalink)
One thing I meant to ask James, is are you cloning the midi to get the drum layers or using audio as a trigger?

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
Bob Oister
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2766
Re:Factory P-Funk Presents: a funk magnum opus...Rise Atlantis 2011/04/08 02:43:45 (permalink)
Hey, James,

Wow, I almost missed this gem, and actually had to hit page number 2 to find it.  Pure dynamite funk at it's best!  I really love the clean rhythm guitar parts and the horns (reminds me of Average White Band from the 70's), the way cool bass solo, and the vox are authentic P-funk all the way.  The mix definitely sounds pro.

Nice job, FunkMasterYoYo, have a good one!
Bob

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1