Factory Yoyo presents: Madame Moto Remix 4-24

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
jamesyoyo
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3460
2012/04/19 17:22:08 (permalink)

Factory Yoyo presents: Madame Moto Remix 4-24

I have been working on a lot of Police-influenced stuff lately. I have a pretty solid Police-homage song completely written and cannot come up with any vocal ideas that work within that context. So what does one do? Write another one!

So this ended up more as an influence than an homage. Thanks to Cian McGovern for his help with the backing vocals and a few hook ideas.

It is the sad story of a frequent business traveler who falls in love with a Tokyo lady of the night.

Madame Moto

4-24 New mix
http://soundcloud.com/hammertoe/madame-moto-remix
post edited by jamesyoyo - 2012/04/24 19:43:34

64 Replies Related Threads

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Madame Moto 2012/04/19 17:41:56 (permalink)
    Very unique and original even if it is Police influenced.  Hearing your mix give me a clue when I listen to your comments about my songs and those of others.  I don't have to strain to hear anything, everything being in its right place.  Your tonality is balanced left to right, and the song breathes.  This is like a guiding light for a lot of people.  Bravo.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    jamesyoyo
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Madame Moto 2012/04/19 19:07:00 (permalink)
    Thanks, Lynn. I spent more time on the mix of this one than I probably should, but I wanted to try a new technique of shunting some of the bass off to the sides to give the snare and vocal a bit more room to breathe. And I also like my bass playing on this one, so it was even more of an excuse!

There are 6 different guitars layered into this, and it was a real challenge to keep them from turning into axe soup.
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Madame Moto 2012/04/19 20:00:01 (permalink)
    Great song and performances. The huge amount of reverb is a bit distracting and dizzying to me.

String Jammer
    bandontherun19
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Madame Moto 2012/04/19 20:06:44 (permalink)
    Domo Arigato Madam Moto... I don't get a law enforcement vibe? I don't get it? Unless that Japeneese part was like from a 911 call? Now if you did something else that was a take off on this, would it be considered Quasi Moto?

All you need is love, just ask the Beatles?
    ----------
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Madame Moto 2012/04/19 21:06:45 (permalink)
    Wrong country.... Columbia is the place of choice these days....

Nice job on the production. Creativity on display. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    jsaras
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Madame Moto 2012/04/19 21:22:21 (permalink)
    jamesyoyo

It is the sad story of a frequent business traveler who falls in love with a Tokyo lady of the night.   

A member of the Secret Service no doubt!

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
    bandontherun19
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Madame Moto 2012/04/19 21:45:54 (permalink)
    Change we can believe in?

All you need is love, just ask the Beatles?
    ----------
    Old55
    • Total Posts : 19791
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Madame Moto 2012/04/19 22:10:57 (permalink)
    Very nice.  

Should auld acquaintance be forgot--hey, who the hell are you guys?  

X2(X3 pending hardware upgrade), Emulator X2, E-mu 1212M, Virtual String Machine
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Madame Moto 2012/04/20 00:36:53 (permalink)
    Just goes to show that you can have a polished and loud mix and still maintain dynamics.

Outstanding. Anything I may say about it would simply be a preference.

You set the bar awfully high. I can barely see it, let along reach it heheh.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Madame Moto 2012/04/20 16:03:49 (permalink)
    knocked out production... I love the sound of this... really impressive... Wow... 
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Madame Moto 2012/04/20 17:34:27 (permalink)

NICE syncopation, i hear what you mean by a police influence...
    it comes and goes.
    it's in the snare pop, and the guitar approach, a bit of synchronicity.
    also would nod to another band from the same era, 'the fixx'.
    cool tune....

mix sounds a bit thin to me.
    bass is washed out for some reason.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

jamesyoyo
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Madame Moto 2012/04/20 17:55:49 (permalink)
    Thanks guys for the kind words.

Shad:
    You've been missed, glad you are back with us.

Bats: 
    Bass washed out? Seriously? It booms on every system I play this on....that is weird.
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Madame Moto 2012/04/21 04:12:29 (permalink)
    Your mixes are like tmidi's - something I aspire to.

TBH I couldn't hear much Police influence but I like the song all the same. Good stuff.
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Madame Moto 2012/04/21 06:22:09 (permalink)

I'm listening on a really good set of cans & I do mean a really good set of cans due to the hour of the night it is over here in my geo local ..

the Bass is not washed out  , it's pretty happening in the mix .

your mix has a lot of air and space , everything moves nicely in the way the music frames the story of the tune ...

I can tell a lot of imagination went into this song  ..

the pilots announcement was pretty cool ... although they never ever forget to mention the airline ( just a thought)  

Yow Za  WoW Za , what a risky subject matter  huh...lol

all the best,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Madame Moto 2012/04/21 09:51:49 (permalink)
    Cool tune James. Love the lyric. I'm on a laptop so can't really hear "right or wrong". All sounds great to my ears. 
    drums sound reeeal good. Are they real or memorex:)

Not a fan of the intro dialogue.

I did notice a big change at like 2:50 (the tag) sonically where everything seemed to gel a lot better than the body of the tune. I think you came in with something that gave some more mids to the soundscape. I loved the tag. 

Your stuff is always real interesting and this is no exception.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Madame Moto 2012/04/21 11:05:08 (permalink)
    James: really impressive idea here. What I love the most? You're not afraid to use effects and use them great! I loved the snare sound...a little 8k would make it crack a bit more....but this is killer.

I hear what Bats is talking about man because I hear it on this end too. I hear enough bass...but it's like...how can I explain this without upsetting you....let me think.

Ok, it's like when the song first started, it sort of gave me an almost am radio type feel...like I was expecting it to open up frequency wise and it never did. The kick drum I can't even hear all the time...so this definitely adds to the thin-ness factor. It's weird, I can't even say it's thin...it just doesn't seem to open up and grab the frequencies my ears are expecting to hear maybe? Like...maybe you were a bit conservative on the lows and the "air" highs or something? That's the best way to explain it really. But I love the song, your performance, your voice and the instrument choices here.

I saw you had asked about the bass I used in the tune for Philip. On that one I used a 5 string into a modded kidney bean bass Pod. I got a buddy that mods stuff like that and he made that thing sound so good, it's been my go to piece for just about everything. Most times though, I'll DI into a Manley ELOP or a Drawmer tube compressor....but this POD has been so good to me, I've been sticking with it. From there once I get the sound into Sonar, I use either a Sonitus compressor or the UAD NEVE 33609 and then enhance it with the UAD Helios because it really does a nice job with the percussive frequencies on bass in the 1k-3k range. High pass at 80 Hz and adjust the Q to taste and I'm done with it. Compression depends on the piece...but most times I'm at 4:1-5:1 with the attack set for how I pick. I use felt picks so the transients aren't off the hook ever and it's a bit smoother. Not as good as fingers, but I can't play with my fingers so I cheat.

Anyway, this is a great tune that I enjoyed very much. I'd have to download it and scope it/mess around to tell you what I'd do to thicken it up a little...but I'd definitely start with a better kick drum with impact as well as some better air frequencies in the upper end of the spectrum. As it is, it's a great mix...but something is missing to thicken it up a bit. It's actually a perfectly balanced mix that a mastering engineer would love so he could work his magic without all the crap people do before hand. :) Awesome job brother...you're extremely talented and I hope nothing I've said here offends you as it's not my intent....honest.

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    ChuckC
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1488
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Madame Moto 2012/04/21 11:24:18 (permalink)
    Nice James!  Cool song and Nice arrangement.  Production sounds pretty good to me on these cans sir.  Sounds like a lot went into it there.  Thanks for sharing.

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
    http://www.everythingiam.net/
    http://www.stormroomstudios.com
    Some of my productions: http://soundcloud.com/stormroomstudios
    twisted6s
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2001
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Madame Moto 2012/04/21 11:45:38 (permalink)
    Very smooth brother James and best vocal from you yet!!!

Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 ghz processor, 8 gig ram, 2.5Tb drives, Sonar Platinum, Lynx L22, FMR Audio RNP & RNC, Mackie HR824, Neumann tlm 103, Window 10 64
    https://soundcloud.com/twisted6s/sets/tony-pruden

whack
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1188
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Madame Moto 2012/04/21 13:46:11 (permalink)
    Awesome song James, so original like all of your stuff.

Your vocals just get better and better.

I found the intro very captivating, ok maybe if it was on the radio you wouldnt put it in, but it certainly would draw you in for the first listen.

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Madame Moto 2012/04/21 15:01:44 (permalink)
    You catch the vibe with this tune, but I agree with Bat and Danny the bass though present lacks a little which I think Danny covered.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Madame Moto 2012/04/22 15:49:46 (permalink)
    Yeah, there's the Police influence in the Summers-esque guitar, the Copeland-ish drums and the BGV's, but also a bit of 10cc about the song. I like the melting pot of all that.

Btw.. 'Moto' is a chain of of motorway service stations in the UK, but there ain't much romance for the weary traveler in them..

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Purple Rhapsody
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 469
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Madame Moto 2012/04/22 15:57:26 (permalink)
    Wow, just came back to the forum after a short break to be greeted by this!

All I can say is that it sounds excellent - not only good production but a great song.

Cheers,
    Terry.

Purple Rhapsody - emotions without words http://purplerhapsody.co.uk/
    twisted6s
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2001
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Madame Moto 2012/04/22 16:35:50 (permalink)
    I think the critique about the bass that some of the brothers are making really has more to do with the kick. Because the kick is not a "thumpier" kick and sometimes disappears a little the bass, at those times, appears to fly solo which, believe it or not, I like. The thick and thin feel gives a nice push-pull effect to the mix.
    post edited by twisted6s - 2012/04/22 22:53:05

Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 ghz processor, 8 gig ram, 2.5Tb drives, Sonar Platinum, Lynx L22, FMR Audio RNP & RNC, Mackie HR824, Neumann tlm 103, Window 10 64
    https://soundcloud.com/twisted6s/sets/tony-pruden

jamesyoyo
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Madame Moto 2012/04/22 16:50:51 (permalink)
    twisted6s

I think the critique about the bass that some of the brothers are making really has more to do with the kick. Because the kick is not a "thumpier" kick and sometimes disappears a little the bass, at those times, appears to fly solo which believe it or not I like. The thick and thin feel gives a nice push-pull effect to the mix.

Y'all know I post here to get crits, and I try to warmly receive them even when I don't like them (or agree with 'em! ;) ). But for the life of me, I am mystified on this whole bass commentary.
    I have listened to this tune on my brand new car, my iPhone, my unforgiving kitchen all-in-one PC, my iPad, and on the studio setup with the sub on and off. The bass is huge everywhere. It is slightly quieter during the verses, which was intentional.  I did do a pretty radical thing of using channel tools to move a bass send feed to the sides, but left the sub-80hz stuff smack in the middle. The whole rule of thumb is the low freqs either have the bass or the kick as the fundamental, and in this instance I moved the bass underneath the kick, which is kinda appropos to the somewhat 80s sound of the track.

And Tony is right: I was going for a push pull effect.
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Madame Moto 2012/04/22 22:47:14 (permalink)
    I kinda have to admit, I was wondering a bit about that myself. I am normally very "bass conscious"; if the bass is off I tend to mention it. But, this song is very well balanced IMO. I am really curious about what they are hearing, and why. I wonder if it is because many people push the bass too far and expect to hear that.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Madame Moto 2012/04/23 04:58:36 (permalink)
    Listening again on a different system, set of small Teac concentric speakers, no sub, as I said previously the Bass is there but. 

It is subjective at the end of the day. 

My Event 20/20's, which I use in the studio, are known for their bass extension.

James it is your tune and if you are happy with the mix then the mix is right.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    jamesyoyo
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Madame Moto 2012/04/23 07:01:32 (permalink)
    Wookiee

James it is your tune and if you are happy with the mix then the mix is right.

Happy with the mix? Never!
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Madame Moto 2012/04/23 12:06:02 (permalink)
    foxwolfen

I kinda have to admit, I was wondering a bit about that myself. I am normally very "bass conscious"; if the bass is off I tend to mention it. But, this song is very well balanced IMO. I am really curious about what they are hearing, and why. I wonder if it is because many people push the bass too far and expect to hear that.

I personally don't think it's the bass totally. The bass itself is loud enough on my end. I don't know if I like the frequency that was selected to push the low end...that's subjective though. What I'm hearing is lack of kick thump and a bit more low mids than I'd use. The mids sort of stop the energy from being there. It's just sort of dark yet doesn't have the pump.

Snare sounds like there are no snares resonating yet I love the sound he got there. A little more presence would nail that part for me. But if he adds a kick with a bit of 55-65 Hz to it, that bass may be ok right where it is because it IS loud enough. We just have no "oomph" in the kick drum which would accentuate the bass guitar as well. A little less verb/effects could tighten it up too...but again, subjective and I love it when guys aren't afraid to use effects. That said, the effects in this could be smoothing it out just a bit more than they should be.

I was going to download this and scope it out James...maybe mess with it to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. But it's not downloadable and I don't even see it appear in my cache. At any rate, if you like it brother....stick with the mix you have. I like it...I'm just hearing a different flavor on the over-all eq curve man. Still a great piece of music no matter what. :)

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Madame Moto 2012/04/23 13:48:08 (permalink)
    The kick could be a bit louder... and the Vocal melody a little tighter... 
    those are the only issues I hear... I'm still digging this a lot... did you mention what your go-to reverb is?  sounds sweet...
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1