Factory Yoyo presents: The Blessing of St. Edwin, a classical piece

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
jamesyoyo
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3460
2011/10/28 15:41:37 (permalink)

Factory Yoyo presents: The Blessing of St. Edwin, a classical piece

This one has been a real labour of love. I have spent a lot of time composing and getting the articulations down. Perhaps my most musically-adventurous piece, so stick with it.
Dedicated in honor and memory of my late Uncle Ed, who passed earlier this month. RIP.
The Blessing of Saint Edwin

32 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: The Blessing of St. Edwin, a classical piece 2011/10/28 15:52:45 (permalink)
    That was quite the production James!

the work you put into this shows.

A1 production chops. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: The Blessing of St. Edwin, a classical piece 2011/10/28 16:06:40 (permalink)
    absolutely not what i was expecting James, either from the title or your description. almost like an overture in how it introduces new themes. i think a little overdone with the verb, but technically this is superb, the work on the articulations has paid great dividends. excellent development of the piece, in the manner of 20th century English composers such as Walton and Tippett, fantastic stuff. the vocal bits are i guess limited by software, which is a shame, as that is the area which could develop the most. i'd love to listen to more in this area!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: The Blessing of St. Edwin, a classical piece 2011/10/28 19:30:56 (permalink)
    Insanely exqusite and masterful ...  'pure water', with no dirty percussive tricks -- haha!

On 2nd listen, I'd possibly consider making the symphonic scat choirs more complete by dubbing your own vox into the male singers a bit more ... (if you are apt)

TBH, this is my fav piece of yours and probably my fav on the forum to date, fwiw (or my most repeated listens).  Things just had to cascade and increment climactically ... into pesky inquiring scatmen, swirling-bells, dancing vios, heralding trumps, and splendid and multiple melodic tear-jerking chants (in the last quarter).

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: The Blessing of St. Edwin, a classical piece 2011/10/28 19:51:46 (permalink)
    I already thought you were the most diversified musician around here and this just proves it even farther. 

But mostly...WOW!!  I wish Ron F. were still around to hear this as it seems like something he'd do.  
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: The Blessing of St. Edwin, a classical piece 2011/10/28 20:15:59 (permalink)
    This is incredible Hammertoe.........................
    I have no idea how you envisioned this and then brought it to fruition. Bravo....

edit: 
    it ended. geez man, how long did you spend on this?
    post edited by timidi - 2011/10/28 20:18:52

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

jsaras
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: The Blessing of St. Edwin, a classical piece 2011/10/28 20:33:10 (permalink)
    I enjoyed the writing very much. It's not the type of piece I would associate with you, which makes it that much more cool. There seems to be a lot of short articulations which are a little "machine-gunish". This would sound terrific with better orchestral samples, but it would be a bunch more work to get it to sound good. I've often resorted to using short samples as well because it's hard to get the lower-end sample libraries to play their other articulations in tight rhythm. That aside, it sounds like the reverb you are using isn't true-stereo, so you're not getting all the depth you can out of your existing sounds. I'd suggest downloading the demo of ValhallaRoom and see what difference it makes. Cheers, J

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
    LpMike75
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: The Blessing of St. Edwin, a classical piece 2011/10/28 20:53:38 (permalink)
    Well that was interesting.  I like the dynamics of the piece and how you flowed from mulitple instruments in a section to solo instruments etc.

The choirs near the end- the males were a little overbearing compared to the female section.  This is probably what you were going for but it seemed a too much (atleast to me)  Nice job, I can appreciate the time you put into this.

Sorry to hear of your Uncle Ed.

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
    Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
    HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
    Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
    markno999
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1450
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: The Blessing of St. Edwin, a classical piece 2011/10/28 21:01:33 (permalink)
    James,

What a masterpiece and honor to your late uncle.    So much detail, the transitions are super cool, the articulations are realistic, the piece is very creative and original.  Great!!!!

Regards
    MannyNY
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 732
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: The Blessing of St. Edwin, a classical piece 2011/10/28 22:34:22 (permalink)
    Love it. Everything about it. Even the wacky tube/bassoon (?) at 1:11 – the voices at 1:45 or so – is that you or some form of patch? Strings are gorgeous.  This is just so wonderful, I am really blown away. The changes at 3:30 are very, very cool – I have no idea what the effort was (although I am sure it was major) but it is really worth it. A few  6th. s  and Maj 7 th. or two and I’d  swear I was listening to Ennio Morricone. Great job. Love the **** at 5:50 or so.  Love the descending feel at 4:40 – it just works so well.   The tubular bells at the end  - perfect. Quality material and a wonderful performance. By far my favorite of yours. What can I say, this is just too cool – and right here on the Cakewalk forum. Super.
    post edited by MannyNY - 2011/10/28 22:35:28
    bandontherun19
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: The Blessing of St. Edwin, a classical piece 2011/10/28 22:57:44 (permalink)
    Jim, this was "really good." I've been really busy w/work and my own studio creations as of late? But I enjoy all kinds of music? Both Country "and" Western? And this was good... I enjoyed the creativity, and the production. And the .wav? Is "dead sexy..." I've tried to lay claim to the most versatile? But you continually thwart my efforts to do so... Hat's off. I can't wait to listen in the cans again, it was still great on the laptop speaks. 
    post edited by bandontherun19 - 2011/10/28 22:59:22

All you need is love, just ask the Beatles?
    ----------
    BretB
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 508
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: The Blessing of St. Edwin, a classical piece 2011/10/28 23:45:55 (permalink)
    It is great to see the amaizing talents that are so freely shared on this site.  Thanks James.

Sonar Platinum - A&H ZED R16 - KRK VXT4's - Yamaha DTXpress IV & Gretsch Catalina Maple kits

"Music is what feelings sound like"
    https://soundcloud.com/bret575b
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: The Blessing of St. Edwin, a classical piece 2011/10/29 04:09:27 (permalink)
    Hi, James,

Wow, this is really amazing, and the orchestration, is fantastic!  I'm sure that uncle Ed is smiling from above.

You can definitely tell that an astounding amount of work went into this. The entire production really shines, and the composition and arrangement was top notch.

Excellent work, and very tastefully done.  Have a great weekend!
    Bob
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: The Blessing of St. Edwin, a classical piece 2011/10/29 19:25:26 (permalink)
    was grinning the whole way through....

lovely peice to be sure!

great job my friend...
    jamesyoyo
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: The Blessing of St. Edwin, a classical piece 2011/10/30 19:37:41 (permalink)
    Herb:

Thanks
    mgh

absolutely not what i was expecting James, either from the title or your description. almost like an overture in how it introduces new themes. i think a little overdone with the verb, but technically this is superb, the work on the articulations has paid great dividends. excellent development of the piece, in the manner of 20th century English composers such as Walton and Tippett, fantastic stuff. the vocal bits are i guess limited by software, which is a shame, as that is the area which could develop the most. i'd love to listen to more in this area!
    Thanks, Mark. I was thinking the whole time, "This is really an English classical piece", with the kinda staid, formal lines and the chipper oboe. Glad it got translated across the pond that way.

Philip

Insanely exqusite and masterful ...  'pure water', with no dirty percussive tricks -- haha!

On 2nd listen, I'd possibly consider making the symphonic scat choirs more complete by dubbing your own vox into the male singers a bit more ... (if you are apt)

TBH, this is my fav piece of yours and probably my fav on the forum to date, fwiw (or my most repeated listens).  Things just had to cascade and increment climactically ... into pesky inquiring scatmen, swirling-bells, dancing vios, heralding trumps, and splendid and multiple melodic tear-jerking chants (in the last quarter).

I did consider putting some of my fake opera voice onto this, but decided to keep it kinda gutteral and simple with the stock "do, re, mi, so" stuff the choir was singing.
    Janet

I already thought you were the most diversified musician around here and this just proves it even farther. 

But mostly...WOW!!  I wish Ron F. were still around to hear this as it seems like something he'd do.  
    Thanks. What happened to Ron F.?

timidi

This is incredible Hammertoe.........................
    I have no idea how you envisioned this and then brought it to fruition. Bravo....

edit: 
    it ended. geez man, how long did you spend on this?

I never envisioned it....what I find when I write orchestra pieces they allow me to run in all sorts of different directions...this is where they fell. To be honest, I always just start with a chord progression and work around that...in this case, F-Eb-D-C, IIRC. I guess it took a bunch of hours over two or three months, as I am always working on a bunch of stuff concurrently.
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: The Blessing of St. Edwin, a classical piece 2011/10/30 19:48:38 (permalink)
    Herb asked me the same question.  I just meant he (Ron F.) hasn't been around here for a long time. 
    jamesyoyo
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: The Blessing of St. Edwin, a classical piece 2011/11/01 10:42:39 (permalink)
    jsaras

I enjoyed the writing very much. It's not the type of piece I would associate with you, which makes it that much more cool. There seems to be a lot of short articulations which are a little "machine-gunish". This would sound terrific with better orchestral samples, but it would be a bunch more work to get it to sound good. I've often resorted to using short samples as well because it's hard to get the lower-end sample libraries to play their other articulations in tight rhythm. That aside, it sounds like the reverb you are using isn't true-stereo, so you're not getting all the depth you can out of your existing sounds. I'd suggest downloading the demo of ValhallaRoom and see what difference it makes. Cheers, J
    Those short articulations probably could have used a bit more humanizing, for sure. Thanks for the reverb idea.

LpMike75

Well that was interesting.  I like the dynamics of the piece and how you flowed from mulitple instruments in a section to solo instruments etc.

The choirs near the end- the males were a little overbearing compared to the female section.  This is probably what you were going for but it seemed a too much (atleast to me)  Nice job, I can appreciate the time you put into this.

Sorry to hear of your Uncle Ed.

The males were intended to be a little hotter...perhaps I overdid it!

markno999

James,

What a masterpiece and honor to your late uncle.    So much detail, the transitions are super cool, the articulations are realistic, the piece is very creative and original.  Great!!!!

Regards

Thanks, Mark.
    jamesyoyo
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: The Blessing of St. Edwin, a classical piece 2011/11/01 10:45:18 (permalink)
    MannyNY

Love it. Everything about it. Even the wacky tube/bassoon (?) at 1:11 – the voices at 1:45 or so – is that you or some form of patch? Strings are gorgeous.  This is just so wonderful, I am really blown away. The changes at 3:30 are very, very cool – I have no idea what the effort was (although I am sure it was major) but it is really worth it. A few  6th. s  and Maj 7 th. or two and I’d  swear I was listening to Ennio Morricone. Great job. Love the **** at 5:50 or so.  Love the descending feel at 4:40 – it just works so well.   The tubular bells at the end  - perfect. Quality material and a wonderful performance. By far my favorite of yours. What can I say, this is just too cool – and right here on the Cakewalk forum. Super.
    Good ears on catching the tuba/bassoon! I knew this one was quite different, so I was not sure how it would be taken. Glad you liked it.

bandontherun19

Jim, this was "really good." I've been really busy w/work and my own studio creations as of late? But I enjoy all kinds of music? Both Country "and" Western? And this was good... I enjoyed the creativity, and the production. And the .wav? Is "dead sexy..." I've tried to lay claim to the most versatile? But you continually thwart my efforts to do so... Hat's off. I can't wait to listen in the cans again, it was still great on the laptop speaks. 
    Yes, the wave file is dead sexy. But shouldn't it be, since it is classical?

BretB

It is great to see the amaizing talents that are so freely shared on this site.  Thanks James.

Thanks.
    morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: The Blessing of St. Edwin, a classical piece 2011/11/02 08:53:30 (permalink)
    Hi James, excellent compositions and sounds, enjoyed listening to this.

Rik
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: The Blessing of St. Edwin, a classical piece 2011/11/02 10:08:07 (permalink)
    Excellent composition, production and mix. This must have take many minutes to do!

Three cheers for Uncle Ed for inspiring such a beautiful piece!

String Jammer
    rhynosynth
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 520
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: The Blessing of St. Edwin, a classical piece 2011/11/03 21:06:49 (permalink)
    Hi James. Really remarkable piece of music. I think the last tune I heard of yours was the Atlantis funk tune. This is well written. I was listening closely to the variations of the main theme and it always cool when a reoccurring melody gives itself a feeling "here we go again" in a good way. Probably not the clearest way to put it. Not a big fan of the staccato vox patches. I would even prefer more instrumentation in it's place but I understand your vision and what you have to work with vox wise. It's very subjective anyway.  The piece is excellent, easy to listen to and a great tribute to your uncle. Thanks.
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: The Blessing of St. Edwin, a classical piece 2011/11/04 11:52:04 (permalink)
    What a great honor to give your dear Uncle! He must have been something because the piece is beautiful and full of poignant and dynamic feelings. Great arrangement and mix too (as always).

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: The Blessing of St. Edwin, a classical piece 2011/11/04 16:30:46 (permalink)
    Remarkable piece of work. 

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    BIABDude
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 676
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: The Blessing of St. Edwin, a classical piece 2011/11/05 09:39:36 (permalink)
    ++1 --- suggestion -----liked the heavy verb on the choir ---needs a tiny less on the instruments so the choir sits further back in the mix
    post edited by BIABDude - 2011/11/07 19:09:29
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: The Blessing of St. Edwin, a classical piece 2011/11/07 21:29:33 (permalink)
    Hi James,

Sorry to hear about your Uncle but this is a beautiful tribute to him.

Outstanding composition and mix.

Man, this is fantastic!  You've outdone yourself, IMHO.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: The Blessing of St. Edwin, a classical piece 2011/11/07 21:49:06 (permalink)
    Bravo Maestro. Ear candy

Me

Basradaem
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 422
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: The Blessing of St. Edwin, a classical piece 2011/11/07 21:53:07 (permalink)
    Hell of a tune, James.  You must have spent endless hours on this... it shows!  Excellent job!

Luke Sarro
    --------------
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit on Windows 10 x64 

evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: The Blessing of St. Edwin, a classical piece 2011/11/08 12:55:46 (permalink)
    Sorry about your Uncle Ed.  This is quite a piece, James.  I can't imagine the work involved!  What happened to Ron F, if I may ask?  I would not have imagined this tune to be you if I didn't know.  Shows your diversity and talent level.

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    bayoubill
    • Total Posts : 10899
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: The Blessing of St. Edwin, a classical piece 2011/11/08 13:11:44 (permalink)
    I am a classical music fan and have quite a collection. This is WONDERFUL! Thanks for sharing. WOW!

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

bayoubill
    • Total Posts : 10899
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: The Blessing of St. Edwin, a classical piece 2011/11/08 13:56:07 (permalink)
    I had to listen again!  This is truly a masterful work! 

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1