Realistic drum software

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
ParanoiA
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 747
RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/13 17:49:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mgh

i'm with ognis, i still wanna know what Paranioa's midi is triggering if it ain't any of the massive drum sample libraries mentioned above...i'm guessing GM??!!!

No, I'm using a soundfont I got years ago...called BlueJay Ambient from Sonic Implants. At least that's where the sounds come from. I use a soft synth than works with my soundfonts. I used a combination of point and click in the staff view in Cakewalk and keyboard playing to write all of my drum parts for years. I tried band in a box once and was more trouble than it was worth.

Since I'm actually a drummer, I now use a crappy ole Yamaha electronic kit. It's a little better. I mean, now I can sit down and really play the drum parts, but the triggering on the kit is horrible and I've had to chunk the soft synth soundfont thing since there's way too much latency. Luckily, I've managed to get a good sounding kit together using the yamaha module and recording as .WAVs rather than MIDI.

I'm just biding my time until I can afford a real set with real mic's....so I'll be stuck here for awhile...
mgh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8594
RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/13 18:03:50 (permalink)
aha if we ever get the money together to buy a bigger house (uk house size=us garden shed...) i'd love to get a electronic kit and learn to drum. i use dfhs playing thru a midi keyboard, obviously it's more dificult to make it sound like it's played by a real drummer, but i like the fact that you can bounce each drum to different audio tracks as well as get an overhead and ambient mike audio file.
but you are using midi to control a softsynth tho, i'd say something like ezdrummer would work just as well for you if you like the sounds given the way you trigger the sounds, it's not just about midi loops, though obviosuly dfhs would be even better....and a real kit with real mics, man that's prob more trouble than it's worth!!!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
ParanoiA
RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/13 19:19:42 (permalink)
and a real kit with real mics, man that's prob more trouble than it's worth!!!

Ha! Yeah, you're probably right. But I'm a glutton for punishment. I've read a little on acoustic drum recording, and I don't mind saying I'm more than just a little intimidated by it. My greatest fear is to spend all of that money and not be able to capture the sound worth a crap...and end up going right back to MIDI.

mgh
RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/14 05:04:28 (permalink)
i think most bands record with a bit of live and a bit of sampled drums these days anyway, i guess if you have a kit at least you can play live with a proper band too...course, then yoou'll have to get a bigger car to transport the damn thing!!!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
ew
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1837
RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/14 12:55:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Ognis

Except BFD, they have no demo.

Actually, they do; I beta tested the demo for Angus and Skot.

ew
Ognis
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5129
RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/14 13:11:52 (permalink)
Oh, I see here,

http://www.fxpansion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8120

It's pretty hard to find.. I had to google - site:www.fxpansion.com +demo

to find it...

droddey
  • Total Posts : 5147
RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/14 13:12:03 (permalink)
Ha! Yeah, you're probably right. But I'm a glutton for punishment. I've read a little on acoustic drum recording, and I don't mind saying I'm more than just a little intimidated by it. My greatest fear is to spend all of that money and not be able to capture the sound worth a crap...and end up going right back to MIDI.

Something like BFD would be a good half-way point. You have to learn to *mix* real drums to use BFD, and that's a big part of it. So then you'd only have to take the next step of micing/tracking them and know you know how to get them mixed and what you should expect in terms of raw mic'd drum sounds.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com
ParanoiA
RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/14 14:56:16 (permalink)
Something like BFD would be a good half-way point. You have to learn to *mix* real drums to use BFD, and that's a big part of it. So then you'd only have to take the next step of micing/tracking them and know you know how to get them mixed and what you should expect in terms of raw mic'd drum sounds.

Interesting...I'll give that some thought. Where can I read more about BFD?
Ognis
RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/14 14:59:30 (permalink)

I think that's true to a certin extent. Because you are dealing with mic's, and bleed, and an overall untouched raw sound.. But there is so much more to concider when mixing a real kit, like the total lack of options that you have from within BFD.. So, a "good half way" "starting point" is a good way to put it.
mgh
RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/14 17:44:58 (permalink)
but dfhs gives you these options and is cheaper than bfd, i believe....

Internalized Sun
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 399
RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/17 04:44:34 (permalink)
Hi Mark,

I have to go with Ognis on this one - Though I'm also only a humble guitar player I kind of want every instrument to sound the best. I try to play everything within the limit of myself but I also try to improve - both play-wise and sound-wise.

I like the demo sounds of the DFHS but I then I read that I loads it all into memory (though with some sort of compression - which I thought was fine. Then I went to music store and they never got it to run and Toontrack support never got back to them...
I'm thinking no way I'm buying this thing if I both need a new super computer and cannot expect to get any support when I find that the new super computer doesn't live up to the actual needed specs (not the ones stated by Toontrack).

I can run BFD fine on my Pentium 4 3.2GHz (HT only) on my Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mainboard (it's an i875P chipset) and 2GB RAM - and I hear that BFD 2 is on the way with probably some of the same features as DFHS (I hope it still does HD-streaming). - it's a hard competition though.

I think I'll stick with BFD for now and hope BFD 2 gets a better (varied) snare.

Just my 0.02$
Dennis P

2+4 ~ 5?!? Why don't I get the math behind DSP programming?!

Windows 10 Pro x64 , i7 980X, 12GB RAM
Sonar Platinum
Music made at home with Sonar 5/6/8 Producer and Sonar Platinum Edition at:
http://soundcloud.com/internalized-sun
mgh
RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/17 05:17:10 (permalink)
well i dunno, i had dfhs running fine on my old pc of celeron 2.4Ghz with 1gb ram, but what i did was never run the plug-in with the rest of the music, ie once i had the drums recorded as i wanted i bounced em to audio tracks and used those in the playback/mix. using a kit with 4 toms and 3 cymbals it loaded about 600mb into ram...i only loaded one instance onto a midi track and recorded drums in batches, ie kick and snare, toms, cymbals, quantizing as i went along (with the random option at about 20% in dfhs). i have never tried the multi-track options in dfhs though...so you don't need a massive spec pc.

i'm sure either app will be a success, it's prob more about which interface you find easiest to use etc.

re BFD i thought that this also loaded into RAM?

Monkey Mouse
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 134
RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/17 07:55:49 (permalink)
I just picked up Battery 3 and love it - keep in mind that I am making electronic music, not acoustic.

All I need now is a good piano program.....

Live 6, Project 5, Kinetic, Oddity, Minimoog V, Atmosphere, Battery 3, Delta 1010

It's my duty to please that booty!
Internalized Sun
RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/17 09:14:13 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: mgh
re BFD i thought that this also loaded into RAM?

Actually BFD default streams from disk (HD streaming but loads the first few miliseconds into memory to be able to play immediately). You CAN tell BFD to load all into RAM, but then it becomes a pig like DFHS.
I sort of want the multi-outs as I want to control at least the kick, snare and toms and Overheads individually... I dunno - the music shop could not get any sound out of it at all even though it said it was running and the clerk said it had some diagnostic tool which said everything was OK. Just no sound and no Toontrack support. He recommended I keep my eye for the upgrade to BFD 2.

Just some info
Dennis P

Sonar Platinum
Internalized Sun
RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/17 09:17:35 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Monkey Mouse

I just picked up Battery 3 and love it - keep in mind that I am making electronic music, not acoustic.

Truepianos is the most realistic I've heard, but it may not be what you want.
My Korg Legacy Collection Digital Edition has Wavestation and M1 synth (both with all expansion cards included in the latest release) and they have some very nice electronic pianos - like Depeche Mode etc.

Hope it helps!
Dennis P

Sonar Platinum
Ognis
RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/17 15:11:54 (permalink)
Truepianos is the most realistic I've heard, but it may not be what you want.
My Korg Legacy Collection Digital Edition has Wavestation and M1 synth (both with all expansion cards included in the latest release) and they have some very nice electronic pianos - like Depeche Mode etc.

Never heard Truepianos.. I have NI's Akoustik Piano, not bad I guess, but I heard Ivroy, and it blew me away. I don't use pianos much in my music though, and I hear Ivroy has a 10 DVD libary, so that is prob way too much for me.

The reason I replied though, is to +1 that Korg Wavestation. It has some really cool sounds, and its extremly tweakable. If you have a control surface with a X-Y pad, you can really do some cool stuff with it. I'd say check into it.
secondfromfalling
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86
RE: Realistic drum software 2007/07/10 08:28:05 (permalink)

Monkey Mouse

i recommend Synthogy Ivory it sounds amazing but takes so much harddrive space so you may not want it

bt the sounds are the best

-Dean-
Ognis
RE: Realistic drum software 2007/07/10 12:14:06 (permalink)
I got Ivory since my last post. Takes 40.5 gigs on my hard drive But it does sound amazing
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1