z3ta+ Crashing Domino Effect - Cakewalk Programmers Please Fix z3ta+!!!!

Author
Innovationless
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 79
2007/06/13 15:17:27 (permalink)

z3ta+ Crashing Domino Effect - Cakewalk Programmers Please Fix z3ta+!!!!

I use SONAR 6 as well as z3ta+ installed as a DXi. When I use z3ta+ in any song, I'm 100% guaranteed to have z3ta+ crash on me. Therefore, I'm begging the Cakewalk programmers to fix this problem. This has been around since z3ta+ belonged to rcg:audio. The crash is very serious because I lose precious minutes of composing time for each crash - sometimes up to 10 minutes!! Here is what happened to me last night and this is typical of z3ta+:

1. z3ta+ crashes when it is going from one patch to another. This doesn't happen on all patches, just a certain few and I can reproduce the error EVERY time!

2. SONAR crashes because z3ta+ is referencing some illegal memory addresses. I can't close SONAR because my USB MIDI keyboard controller is on. Now I have to turn off my keyboard controller just to let SONAR exit. Otherwise, SONAR hangs indefinitely. At this point, I have to turn my keyboard controller back on, restart SONAR, reload the project (which can take a long time for large projects), and pray that choosing a new patch in z3ta+ doesn't cause another crash.

3. Depending on what was happening during the crash, my audio drivers get royally screwed. I'm using a RME Multiface 2 audio interface. When the drivers get mucked with, I HAVE TO REBOOT MY COMPUTER.

This is the mother of all crashes. This z3ta+ crashing thing NEEDS TO BE FIXED. PLEASE CAKEWALK Z3TA+ PROGRAMMERS - FIX Z3TA+!!!!!!! z2ta+ is so amazing, but having it crash and cripple my system like this is totally unacceptable.

27 Replies Related Threads

René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: z3ta+ Crashing Domino Effect - Cakewalk Programmers Please Fix z3ta+!!!! 2007/06/13 18:47:32 (permalink)
    1. z3ta+ crashes when it is going from one patch to another. This doesn't happen on all patches, just a certain few and I can reproduce the error EVERY time!

Sorry to hear your trouble. z3ta+ has been out for 5 years, and I have never heard of a report that it crashes SONAR when changing from one patch to another every time.

Can you let us know exactly which patch I need to change into which other to get the crash?

3. Depending on what was happening during the crash, my audio drivers get royally screwed. I'm using a RME Multiface 2 audio interface. When the drivers get mucked with, I HAVE TO REBOOT MY COMPUTER.

Sorry to hear that too. I agree with you totally. Any driver which behaves like that is lousy.
    Innovationless
    RE: z3ta+ Crashing Domino Effect - Cakewalk Programmers Please Fix z3ta+!!!! 2007/06/14 03:51:34 (permalink)
    I'm using the Adam Van Baker soundset from http://www.adamszabo.com/

In the SONAR environment with z3ta+ loaded as the only soft synth, changing from any preset to the Massive High Pass preset always causes z3ta+ to crash. Oddly enough, changing to this preset in stand-alone mode doesn't cause a crash. However, changing to other presets in stand-alone mode using the Adam Van Baker soundset causes crashes. I guess if you're messed up one way you might as well be creative and mess up another way outside of SONAR. I LOVE z3ta, but I seriously can't work with it because of all these crashes. Now excuse me - I'm just crashed z3ta and it's frozen my audio drivers. I have to reboot now...

Teksonik
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 521
    RE: z3ta+ Crashing Domino Effect - Cakewalk Programmers Please Fix z3ta+!!!! 2007/06/18 12:03:54 (permalink)
    Does this happen with the Factory presets? Are you using Z3ta 1.5.3 ? Were the Van Baker Patches programmed in Zeta 1.4 or 1.5.3?
    post edited by Teksonik - 2007/06/18 12:04:33
    Innovationless
    RE: z3ta+ Crashing Domino Effect - Cakewalk Programmers Please Fix z3ta+!!!! 2007/06/18 23:45:26 (permalink)
    I can get every version of z3ta+ to crash. I've installed z3ta+ as a DXi. I can reproduce these in a fresh winxp install using virtual pc as well.

v1.4
    - crashes when changing to patch partial movement (sync) in the standard presets
    - crashes on some Adam Van Baker presets

v1.5.3
    - crashes on some standard presets
    - crashes on some some Adam Van Baker presets

So where do I get my refund? If I can't USE this thing, why should I pay Cakewalk for all these headaches? Is anyone else having such a difficult time with z3ta??
    Innovationless
    RE: z3ta+ Crashing Domino Effect - Cakewalk Programmers Please Fix z3ta+!!!! 2007/06/19 01:10:27 (permalink)
    I've added a video on YouTube to show how frequent my crashes are. I start with an empty project with only z3ta+ loaded. I then change the standard presets starting at preset 1 using the '+' key. A few presets in, z3ta+ crashes. This is version 1.4 in the video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZozD2n7M9P4

The preset that z3ta+ crashed on was partial movement (sync)
    post edited by SuperStruct - 2007/06/19 01:17:41
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: z3ta+ Crashing Domino Effect - Cakewalk Programmers Please Fix z3ta+!!!! 2007/06/19 16:16:38 (permalink)
    I haven't had issues like that, with Sonar 5 PE, Sonar 6 PE, or Project5... z3ta+ 1.4, 1.5, 1.5.3.
    I haven't tried with P5 2.5.

However, I don't cycle presets via "+", so perhaps that's something.
    I'll try to repro tonight on a couple of machines to see if I get it.

Another thing I'd suggest, if it hasn't been suggested and done already, is to download and run memtest86. I've seen funky failures from bad memory, which would be a simple thing to test, and rather cheap to fix.

Take care,
    - zevo
    post edited by inmazevo - 2007/06/19 16:31:33
    inmazevo
    RE: z3ta+ Crashing Domino Effect - Cakewalk Programmers Please Fix z3ta+!!!! 2007/06/19 16:18:29 (permalink)
    Also:
    Which OS is it? Service Pack Level?

I can test with P5 2.5, z3ta+, Sonar 6.2.1 on:
    Windows XP Home SP2 32bit
    Windows XP Pro SP2 32bit
    Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
    Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit

Hopefully, you have one of those.

Lastly:
    What kind of (typing) keyboard is it (brand/make/model)?
    USB/PS2?
    Built-in Windows drivers, or 3rd party drivers for the keyboard?

- zevo
    post edited by inmazevo - 2007/06/19 16:24:10
    Teksonik
    RE: z3ta+ Crashing Domino Effect - Cakewalk Programmers Please Fix z3ta+!!!! 2007/06/20 14:06:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SuperStruct Is anyone else having such a difficult time with z3ta??

Yes, I'm having issues as well. This IS the Official instruments SUPPORT forum correct?

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    RE: z3ta+ Crashing Domino Effect - Cakewalk Programmers Please Fix z3ta+!!!! 2007/06/20 14:15:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Teksonik

This IS the Official instruments SUPPORT forum correct?

No, it is a user forum. For support, contact CW support directly. In many cases, users can come to the rescue but this is not a support forum.
    Teksonik
    RE: z3ta+ Crashing Domino Effect - Cakewalk Programmers Please Fix z3ta+!!!! 2007/06/20 19:45:45 (permalink)
    Really? The link I follow says Cakewalk Forums not Cakewalk User forums. This forum is listed on the Z3ta support page under Online resources. I'm used to having direct contact with Rene' since I purchased Square 1 from him in 2002. I'll try his Forum at KVR. Cakewalk support leaves a lot to be desired.
    JamminFool
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 386
    RE: z3ta+ Crashing Domino Effect - Cakewalk Programmers Please Fix z3ta+!!!! 2007/06/20 21:04:27 (permalink)
    have you tried the same scenarios with the vsti version of z3ta+?

just curious, as i don't think i have ever seen z3ta+ crash...

good luck.
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: z3ta+ Crashing Domino Effect - Cakewalk Programmers Please Fix z3ta+!!!! 2007/06/21 01:37:57 (permalink)

Cakewalk support leaves a lot to be desired.

Did you email support or call support directly on the phone? Give them the opportunity to help by contacting them.
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: z3ta+ Crashing Domino Effect - Cakewalk Programmers Please Fix z3ta+!!!! 2007/06/21 02:58:41 (permalink)
    I think thre programmers did an exellent job with this synth. If your using outside presets or what-ever. The programmers have no control over that. I never had the z3ta crash. This sounds like your just putting the blame on them without any consideration.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    RE: z3ta+ Crashing Domino Effect - Cakewalk Programmers Please Fix z3ta+!!!! 2007/06/21 08:17:56 (permalink)

Really?

yes, cf http://forum.cakewalk.com/register.asp

I wish I could be more help but do not have this library and have yet to crash z3ta.
    Innovationless
    RE: z3ta+ Crashing Domino Effect - Cakewalk Programmers Please Fix z3ta+!!!! 2007/06/21 11:14:14 (permalink)
    The screen capure video was using z3ta 1.5.3 installed as a DXi using the standard presets. It is not my memory nor my enviornment because it does the same thing on a clean windows xp install on a virtual machine. It's got to be some settings in z3ta or SONAR that I'm missing.
    JamminFool
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 386
    RE: z3ta+ Crashing Domino Effect - Cakewalk Programmers Please Fix z3ta+!!!! 2007/06/21 11:25:26 (permalink)
    i repeat: have you tried the vsti version?
    Innovationless
    RE: z3ta+ Crashing Domino Effect - Cakewalk Programmers Please Fix z3ta+!!!! 2007/06/28 19:25:01 (permalink)
    OK - I've finally figured this thing out and it appears to be a SONAR issue!!! Here's what I did to fix it...

1. Clicked on the advanced tab and set the I/O Buffer Size to 256.
    2. In the AUD.INI file, added this string under Options:
    ExtraPluginBufs=64

Now z3ta+ is running smooth and I can cycle through the presets without it crashing.

For all you Trance people out there, the Adam Van Baker soundset is AMAZING!! I highly recommended that you stop by his page and buy one today. He's a very talented sound designer and I'm personally looking forward the the next z3ta+ release!
    inmazevo
    RE: z3ta+ Crashing Domino Effect - Cakewalk Programmers Please Fix z3ta+!!!! 2007/06/28 21:39:41 (permalink)
    Just out of curiosity:
    Did you take the time to run memtest86?

Everyone should run that overnight, once per quarter, or any time they are having funkiness with sudden app crashes, etc.
    RAM fails. Motherboard RAM slots fail.

Take care, and glad you got it working.
    - zevo
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: z3ta+ Crashing Domino Effect - Cakewalk Programmers Please Fix z3ta+!!!! 2007/06/29 00:16:24 (permalink)

Really? The link I follow says Cakewalk Forums not Cakewalk User forums. This forum is listed on the Z3ta support page under Online resources. I'm used to having direct contact with Rene' since I purchased Square 1 from him in 2002. I'll try his Forum at KVR. Cakewalk support leaves a lot to be desired.

Yes, it's really the user forum...even if you hold your breath until you turn blue.

Don't go away mad; just go away.
    Teksonik
    RE: z3ta+ Crashing Domino Effect - Cakewalk Programmers Please Fix z3ta+!!!! 2007/06/29 19:36:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kwgm

Yes, it's really the user forum...even if you hold your breath until you turn blue.

Well that was a mature response little fan boi. So you are an example of the type of users that frequent this forum? Cakewalk thinks it's better to have every user with an issue send them a separate e-mail or make a phone call rather than man this forum with tech support people like other companies do? No wonder CW support leaves a lot to be desired and yes I've had both e-mail and phone contact with CW tech support which is why I can make the statement that it is slow at best. Rene' used to give excellent one on one tech support before being hired by CW. I'm happy for him but the users who supported HIM while nobody knew of RGC outside of KVR have suffered. Don't forget where you come from Rene'.
    post edited by Teksonik - 2007/06/29 19:42:24
    MurderDethKill
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1904
    RE: z3ta+ Crashing Domino Effect - Cakewalk Programmers Please Fix z3ta+!!!! 2007/06/30 05:34:05 (permalink)
    I'm pretty sure that no one forgets "where they came from" Tek.
    A lot of us are also on the KVR forums - some lurk, like me - while others here don't.

CW support has always resolved (happily) whatever issues I've had with their products.
    I wish I could say the same about other companies I've dealt with (Hello Sears, GM, FedEx, etc.), or worked for (UPS).

Having said that, my support of CW is not "fan boy" based, but rather results based.
    Were their customer support policies to change for the negative, (and their attitude shift in the same direction) I doubt
    you would see a lot of the so-called "fan-boi's" sticking around.
    CW seems to be aware of that fact, and to their credit, seem to be dedicated to working very hard to keep
    their current customer base, as well as enlarging upon it.

In any case, if you have a serious issue with tech support - I'm sure that you could file a complaint with CW
    with the issues you would like to see addressed, and if they are valid, CW will be more than happy to address them.

Peace bro.

-MDK
    post edited by MurderDethKill - 2007/07/01 01:59:24

My site i guess;)
    Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: z3ta+ Crashing Domino Effect - Cakewalk Programmers Please Fix z3ta+!!!! 2007/06/30 10:02:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: MurderDethKill

CW support has always resolved (happily) whatever issues I've had with their products.

Aren't you glad they are always happy when they fix the issues we have with their products? Nothing like giddy tech support!

Having said that, my support of CW is not "fan boy" based, but rather results based.
    Were their customer support policies to change for the negative, (and their attitude shift in the same direction) I doubt
    you would see a lot of the so-called "fan-boi's" sticking around.
    CW seems to be aware of that fact, and to their credit, seem to be dedicated to working very hard to keep
    their current customer base, as well as enlarging upon it.

Well said, MDK. But we fan-boys do take care of our Cakewalk
    René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: z3ta+ Crashing Domino Effect - Cakewalk Programmers Please Fix z3ta+!!!! 2007/06/30 11:52:03 (permalink)
    Rene' used to give excellent one on one tech support before being hired by CW. I'm happy for him but the users who supported HIM while nobody knew of RGC outside of KVR have suffered. Don't forget where you come from Rene'.

I don't forget where I come from. But since I founded rgc:audio I have become such a superbly greedy man: I want my kids to eat everyday, and not once but two times. I'm sorry about my uncontrollable ambition not fitting your expectancies.

After Cakewalk acquisition of rgc:audio, I'm not related to Technical Support, at all. My work is in development. And I think your vision of the support quality of Cakewalk is absolutely wrong. Cakewalk has probably the best Technical Support of the "big" companies. You read about problems? of course there are. But just give Ableton, Native Instruments or Steinberg forums a read and you'll see it's not anything different once you go beyond the "single man band show" size.

Yet, I figured a way to convince Product Managers that it would be good to release an update for z3ta+, to honor early supporters. We did so, and a huge amount of customers is happy with the new update of what seemed to be a dead product. I don't regret what we did, as we gave users something while taking nothing away. For free. I'm sorry if you're experiencing technical difficulties, but I have tried to reproduce your reported arpeggiator bug myself with no luck. If I could, I would have probably fixed the issue myself and deployed a patch using my free time. But I didn't.

Even not being at Tech Support, from time to time I spend some time in the forums trying to help people. But now, it's refreshing to have the freedom to help only those the ones I want to.

You can continue now with your pre-programmed shout cast.
    7XL
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 641
    RE: z3ta+ Crashing Domino Effect - Cakewalk Programmers Please Fix z3ta+!!!! 2007/06/30 21:19:40 (permalink)
    Rene

Did I ever tell you I love you?

That's all, see you soon.

It's all behind the scenes.....
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: z3ta+ Crashing Domino Effect - Cakewalk Programmers Please Fix z3ta+!!!! 2007/07/01 01:41:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kwgm

Well that was a mature response little fan boi. So you are an example of the type of users that frequent this forum? Cakewalk thinks it's better to have every user with an issue send them a separate e-mail or make a phone call rather than man this forum with tech support people like other companies do? No wonder CW support leaves a lot to be desired and yes I've had both e-mail and phone contact with CW tech support which is why I can make the statement that it is slow at best. Rene' used to give excellent one on one tech support before being hired by CW. I'm happy for him but the users who supported HIM while nobody knew of RGC outside of KVR have suffered. Don't forget where you come from Rene'.

Yep, I'm a perfect example of the users here. 55 years old, 30 years experience in the software business, and over 40 as a musician. I have three grown sons who are probably all older than you are, sonny.

If not, at least we've taught them that polite people don't walk into someone else's house and throw a ****fit like a 4 year old who can't have another lollipop when they are unhappy with the way things are.

If you behave yourself and follow proscribed procedures, you actually get some support here. Treat others with kindness and respect, and you might get what you want.

But when you come in here whining and acting like a brutish oaf, you get shown the door.

Now either apologize to everyone for your petulance and get on with your business, or go find somewhere else to act up. This isn't the place.

post edited by kwgm - 2007/07/01 01:48:43

--kwgm
    MurderDethKill
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1904
    RE: z3ta+ Crashing Domino Effect - Cakewalk Programmers Please Fix z3ta+!!!! 2007/07/01 02:01:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: 7XL

Rene

Did I ever tell you I love you?

That's all, see you soon.

+100
    CWFan-Boys/Ladies
    post edited by MurderDethKill - 2007/07/01 02:13:17

My site i guess;)
    Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
    Reco
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 197
    RE: z3ta+ Crashing Domino Effect - Cakewalk Programmers Please Fix z3ta+!!!! 2007/07/02 22:21:04 (permalink)
    Rene,
    I Dont know you, but if 7XL says he loves then I do too! HA!

I just bought z3ta+ this last weekend and after running it for a while I shouted "The person that developed this is a ****ing genius!"...... It replaced alot of synths in some traks I have been working on.

Oh and I have the worst setup Sonar PC around and it runs flawlessly!

-Reco

I don't use anything made by Cakewalk... What am I doing here?

Listen to my music at: http://www.myspace.com/unnameablemourning
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1