What is (Good) Music?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
NW Smith
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 565
RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/27 12:52:23 (permalink)
According to John Coltrane:

"Overall, I think the main thing a musician would like to do is to give
a picture to the listener of the many wonderful things he knows and
senses in the universe. That's what music is to me--it's just another
way of saying that this is a big, beautiful universe we live in, that's
been given to us, and here's an example of just how magnificent and
encompassing it is. That's what I would like to do. I think that's one
of the greatest things you can do in life, and we all try to do it in
some way. The musician's is through his music."

My Website:
http://www.marwoodwilliams.com
My Music on Bandcamp:
http://marwoodwilliams.bandcamp.com

Equipment: Intel Core i3, 3.2 GHz, Sonar Platinum, Ramsa WR-S4416 Mixer,  Focusrite  Scarlett 18i6
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/28 11:20:18 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SteveStrummerUK

ORIGINAL: Philip

A) Ok; What is music anyway?
B) Or better yet, what is 'good' music to you? Give a reason or 10 why?

A - It's a lot easier to list what *isn't* music and work back.

B - I don't think 'good' is the right word - do you mean what music do you *like*; or what music do you consider *well written*.

A - What is (isn't) good music to you specifically (... not the political masses)
B - 'Good': Competent (well-written "to your ears", period) or beautiful (draws your love) "to your ears".

Ru cites that nature oft randomly-produces better music than man:
i have listened to completely random sounds in nature which invoked a more beautiful and profound experience than anything devised by humans

... also,
tastes are dependent upon many factors and will change accordingly

This seems true in ‘some’ of my experience (in response to Daniel), but some things appear semi-permanent (to my ears):

Orchestration not just classical.
'Sensable' Rhythm isn’t ‘out-the-door’ just yet ... its becoming complex and beautiful
Rock-n-Roll may be ‘here-to-stay’ yet another decade or 10.
Old Hymns aren’t dead yet (by any stretch ... to my ears)
Electric Guitars seriously rule
Piano theory has ever been a valid aid for lead vocals
Lead Vocals are "up front and center"
Vocals: pitch-modulation, dynamics, and tempo consistency "make or break" a song
Lead Vocals sound great "up front and center"
Confident Vocals: = emotive beauty

Esmail1 confirms:
NO sense of pitch and NO sense of rhythym.....Paul Schaffer and the band was backing them...It SUCKED

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
aaronk
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1275
RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/28 13:22:41 (permalink)
I am not deliberatelly bashing John Cage just because he was admittedly tone deaf,

Where are you getting that from? Cage admitted to not having much feel for conventional harmony. He definitely was not tone deaf!

Now that we are several generations beyond the mid-20th century (Schoenberg could have been grandfather to any of my grandparents), the modernists seem pretty well digested and quite mainstream. Same tradition as Mozart and Bach.

George Crumb was avant-garde in the early 1970's. He represents the current avant-garde of classical music to the same extent the Beatles represent the most advanced modern rock, or Star Wars represents cutting age 21st Century cinema.
Bren Gun
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 198
RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/28 14:35:10 (permalink)
General reply:

The music must be well thought out, coherent. It must have "meaning" and "essence" of music. Even if (purposefully) chaotic it can have order and meaning. Generally it is acceptable/"good" if the sounds are properly defined in their own frequency areas (or not if it has a purpose).

What I think is that the bottom line is the artist or creator has a vision and is able to express/show/etc. this vision through music (or general sound) where any aspect, whether "ugly" or "beautiful", can have the necessary meaningful expression capability as he or she wills it.

The ultimate form of artmaking -- in this context music -- is when the creator is having a proper balanced mixture of certain qualities in the brain. These are logic (musical rules and such), emotion, pragmatism, a global vision in which details are filled as they're necessary, intuition, fast random processing, being holistic, etc. I think it is this that enables good music or sound in the first place.
rumleymusic
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1533
RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/28 14:54:10 (permalink)
Where are you getting that from? Cage admitted to not having much feel for conventional harmony. He definitely was not tone deaf!

His words, not mine. He could have been lying, we will never know. An I am not saying that all of his works are not musical, he has a few prepared piano pieces that I think are rather interesting. Most, however, tend to fall in the realm of thought provoking experiments. I think he would be happy that we are discussing whether or not they constitute music or not. I think that was the point.

Comparing popular music to classical is like comparing a country in an industrial revolution to a major super power. One is progressing rapidly, and the other may need a regression or two before further progress can be made.

If you think about it, contemporary "art music" has taken a major regression in tonal complexity since the mid 20th century. In that time 12 tone was the "serious" style, later in the century minimalism became popular. (which is less complex than most baroque composers in terms of harmony). Many composers today are writing in styles that sound more like Shostakovich that anything else. And most of the rest are writing the equivalent of ultra tonal audience pleasers (you know, things titled "A Bird on the Wind" in 6/8). Only a small portion are writing in what can be considered an avant garde style (most of them go to UCSD ). The entire 20th century has been a mishmash of styles that changed faster than the listening public cared to keep up. I think that is probably why "classical" music lost the majority of its audience, not because the music was "good" or "bad". I hope this regression will help classical gain a audience more able to keep up with progression.
aaronk
RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/28 15:07:43 (permalink)
most of them go to UCSD

UCSD has sounded like a happening place for quite awhile. I sometimes wish I had done my grad work there, instead of Princeton.

I personally find Cage's work consistently quite musical, ueber-musical, ultra-musical, sensously wonderful to listen to. What label to attach ("music" or not) strikes me as less interesting than simply noting that, during periods of time when I am listening to his work, I am quite happy to be doing so.

In terms of tonal complexity, many of the post-modernists are/were as complicated as one could wish for -- I'm thinking of composers such as Berio, Stockhausen, Carter, Babbitt, Wuorinen, Boulez, Schnittke, Sheng, Braxton, Taylor, etc.

Although conventional wisdom says that the 19th Century is still the core of audience-pleasing favorites, I did my own survey of the Seattle SO's programming and discovered that well more than half (by program time) was modernist (Mahler through Stravinsky.) The SSO is hardly innovative, so I think this says something about conservative taste.

Of course, post-modernist works are seldom played at all . . .
rumleymusic
RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/28 17:49:39 (permalink)
Yeah, I guess I should give him more credit. Although not a master of pitch, Cage was definitely a master of timbre. This is where I think his innovations have real merit.

Of course, post-modernist works are seldom played at all . . .

Not in public anyway.

Berio, Stockhausen, Carter, Babbitt, Wuorinen, Boulez, Schnittke, Sheng, Braxton, Taylor, etc.

Funny, I was listening to Berio's Folk Songs in the car on the way to work (one of his more accessible works). Well many of those '60s - '70s composers are dead or almost as well. I am thinking of the younger generations of composers and the current trends, integral serialism or musique concrete is not that popular in recent years. Guys like Philip Glass and Carlisle Floyd get the majority of commissions even today.
post edited by rumleymusic - 2008/01/28 18:06:20
thalweg
  • Total Posts : 571
RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/28 21:07:40 (permalink)
Interestingly, there is a service used by a good number of "lables" that try to predict hits. I can't remember the name of the company off hand..when i do I'll post.

They've a database with about 50 years of hit songs and they use complex algorithms to compare each song, map certain comparable elements and then apply those findings to new songs to see if they fit the pattern of what would constitute a hit according to the computer.

In the above light, I suppose its a combination of sound textures, melody, rythm and lyrical context that makes music interesting.

rare these days are the songs that really move you...where you become infatuated.

My Music/Video Channel:

www.youtube.com/tonehook
SteveStrummerUK
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31112
RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/28 21:21:23 (permalink)
Thanks for the acknowlegement earlier Philip.

Something just occured to me about 'good music'!

You know when you hear a song you maybe haven't heard for years, and the first couple of bars are enough to zonk you straight back to a specific time and place, or to a certain event, or to a certain individual - to me that just shows the power of music.

The tunes that almost subliminally create a good memory are, ipso facto, examples of 'good' music, if only by association.

Conversely, we probably don't remember the 'bad' music we got dumped to!

Any song off 'Rumours' does the good thing for me! Anyone else catching my drift?

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Rbh
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2349
RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/28 22:54:27 (permalink)
I can't define what good music is... but I can qualify it for myself by simply wishing to listen to it more than once.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
12 Gig
Appollo
CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
 Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
zeypxun
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 918
RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/28 23:15:33 (permalink)
Music explains the inexplicable. I heard that in Shine, but I've always loved that line. That is what good music does, to me.
post edited by zeypxun - 2008/01/28 23:34:46

www.reverbnation.com/zeypxuntomlittle

Look me up on myspace!
www.myspace.com/zeypxun

I'm so happy Faith No More is BACK!
zeypxun
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 918
RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/28 23:19:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveStrummerUK

Conversely, we probably don't remember the 'bad' music we got dumped to!

Steve

I do! I still remember "Dont break my heart, my achy breaky heart", "the right stuff" and a myriad of others and what the timeline of my life was. Some others too that I've heard on myspace and soundclick.

www.reverbnation.com/zeypxuntomlittle

Look me up on myspace!
www.myspace.com/zeypxun

I'm so happy Faith No More is BACK!
zungle
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2745
RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/29 01:03:12 (permalink)
What is music anyway?
...............any linear series of sound as percieved by human intelligence ..............could be defined as music.

However a piano piece may only be percieved as music to humans..................insects or animals may hear or feel the same sound and not identify it as music......because of the limits of their of their own intellect and conscienceness.

what is 'good' music

Anything.......... Jon Oliva............... touches.
Philip
RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/30 12:28:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: zungle

What is music anyway?
...............any linear series of sound as percieved by human intelligence ..............could be defined as music.

However a piano piece may only be percieved as music to humans..................insects or animals may hear or feel the same sound and not identify it as music......because of the limits of their of their own intellect and conscienceness.

what is 'good' music

Anything.......... Jon Oliva............... touches.

Notwithstanding, I methinks music violates empirical and/or physical definition(s). I think you gave the building-blocks of music.
Profoundly honest and inspiring responses (to me) by: Tom, Rbh, Steve, Thal, Daniel, Aaron, Bren, NW Smith.

Music psychology (if you will) may be oversimplified as art and/or science.
Daniel, Aaron, Bren have gone pretty deep into the aesthetic concepts and I thoroughly appreciate. Bren really justaposes woven-theories and insights of music. Consider:
The music must be well thought out, coherent. It must have "meaning" and "essence" of music. Even if (purposefully) chaotic it can have order and meaning. Generally it is acceptable/"good" if the sounds are properly defined in their own frequency areas (or not if it has a purpose).
What I think is that the bottom line is the artist or creator has a vision and is able to express/show/etc. this vision through music (or general sound) where any aspect, whether "ugly" or "beautiful", can have the necessary meaningful expression capability as he or she wills it.

The ultimate form of artmaking -- in this context music -- is when the creator is having a proper balanced mixture of certain qualities in the brain. These are logic (musical rules and such), emotion, pragmatism, a global vision in which details are filled as they're necessary, intuition, fast random processing, being holistic, etc. I think it is this that enables good music or sound in the first place.

Frankly, I could not expect a better summation-psychology of music than this.

Likewise, this can only enhance my technique, IMO.

Albeit, music haunts me deeper and I crave to know the archetypes and genres of music.

Music seems the ultimate of subjective communication between persons:
Is music not specifically a peculiar love and worship, thus?
Is music not the ultimate in adoration, dramatization, faith, acceptable communication, etc. between persons ("persons" denoting metaphysical entities and God, here)?

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Bren Gun
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 198
RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/30 16:46:10 (permalink)
Hi Philip. I would like to add that nowadays -- but probably in older days as well -- so-called "artists" are, I think, few. Any fool can follow conventional teachings and use them, but it takes something else to use them uniquely or to not use such conventionalism at all but still be able to make music from the soul, using the qualities I mentioned in my previous post that you quoted.

It is very possible that an artist might have this "flow" or energy that guides him or her. Suppose this person has not been trained conventionally and formally, he or she can use self-taught skills that simply arrive as he practises, emotion, soul, those things mentioned before, and eventually come to the same rules -- and even technical skills -- that already have been established by the standards.

I have seen that it is possible to learn to do music in unconventional but extremely effective and fast ways. The kinds of ways that immediately affect the whole person and his or her doings, not just the logical conventional part which is of course very mind-numbing and slow.

The constant nagging of teachers about technique when playing something or rules to think of when doing composition easily prevent a person's creativity from existing and would make things more difficult. I think I'm starting to talk too much now
ORIGINAL: Philip

Albeit, music haunts me deeper and I crave to know the archetypes and genres of music.

Music seems the ultimate of subjective communication between persons:
Is music not specifically a peculiar love and worship, thus?
Is music not the ultimate in adoration, dramatization, faith, acceptable communication, etc. between persons ("persons" denoting metaphysical entities and God, here)?

Interesting, but it seems (at least to me) there are flaws in those phrases and their consequential natures. I don't know if music IS the ultimate of subjective communication between people. Perhaps it is if they are totally "in the zone" and actively knowing what they're doing, adapting to the musical situations, and to each other, using all those necessariy qualities we agreed on earlier. But I think this usually doesn't occur, since -- for various reasons -- musicians would take the "safe method" of "logic" and "rules" and know exactly what to do in advance which would more or less seem to remove the "ultimate of subjective communication" (at least in the way I understand).

If that is true, then the second phrase is eliminated due to the word 'thus' used. However, I think this phrase could be interpreted differently if I may. I think it IS about a peculiar love or worship but for music, for art, if the artist(s) is(/are) driven in such a way they experience it as such.

If the third question is a directly connected to the second -- connected to the first -- I'd again say 'no'. However, I would say 'yes' to it separately from the other ones more or less the same way I'd say 'yes' to the first one with the addition that if there's a situation that "persons" is referring to entities whose existence cannot be proven I would severely question the communication part (and I don't exactly know what you mean by 'etc.'). The question would be "Is there even communication between this person and uncertain metaphysical entities?" The mind may tell us -- or whoever in question -- it is true, but objectively we don't know if it is.
aaronk
RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/30 17:10:00 (permalink)
Music explains the inexplicable.

Since the inexplicable, by definition, cannot be explained, there is nothing inexplicable that can be explained. Therefore, music explains nothing.
rumleymusic
RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/30 18:24:07 (permalink)
quote:

Music explains the inexplicable.

Since the inexplicable, by definition, cannot be explained, there is nothing inexplicable that can be explained. Therefore, music explains nothing.

...so if music explains the inexplicable, and that means music explains nothing:

Nothing=0

Music Explains (M) + Nothing = M + Inexplicable

so

Inexplicable = 0

and Since

M + 0 = M

then does music explain itself or does nothing explain music?

I'm confused now...
aaronk
RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/31 13:28:50 (permalink)
Since

M + 0 = M

Music = Mom.
Philip
RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/02/01 01:38:24 (permalink)
Thanks for the elaboration Bren,

The question would be "Is there even communication between this person and uncertain metaphysical entities?" The mind may tell us -- or whoever in question -- it is true, but objectively we don't know if it is.

Personally, I've never been very grammatical as an artist. I realize the concepts I've spewed out are more 'brainstorming' than grammatically correct.

Today I asked my 16-y/o son (a music geek) what music is: We hypothesized that there are 'corners' of the psyche (soul) involved in music. Musical Genres seem to align potently with personality aspects.

Certainly, ones music might be viewed as a peculiar or potent component of 'communication'.

There are techno-rock-songs that: 'wake me up' but have no meaning besides 'Dance'

There are lullaby songs, ocean-waves, train-clicking rhythms, that relaaaaaax the psyche.

Musicians oft seem to outdo themselves (with 'music') They unwittingly know how to 'hit home':

"ROCK AN ROOOOOOLL" .... "YO MAANH" ... "HEY YOOOOOOOOOUUUUU"

Their Music hits the sympathetic nervous system and parasympathetics. Harmones are probably 'more-in-action'; endorphin-release, tension and/or relaxation harmones (cortisol, insulin, etc.)

Music hits deep and I'm careful not to overdo techno-FRENZY-'Dance' 'ear-candy' ..., when there's no 'inspiring love' in a song ... I become a bit moody afterwards. Kind of like crashing off a sugar rush or something.

I'd like to hypothesize that the Techno-frenzy genre could use 'love-motifs' to prevent my crashes ... while dancing to the beat.

Philip  

johneblue
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 218
RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/02/01 02:01:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rumleymusic

then does music explain itself or does nothing explain music?

I'm confused now...

There is no such thing as nothing. If there were, it would be something.

But I'm confused too ...

Laptop w/core2duo@2Ghz/2GB - Vista32 - Saffire LE - SHS6XL - Perseverance!
ru
  • Total Posts : 555
RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/02/01 11:30:47 (permalink)
there are some good 'love' themes running through trance, i think. i'm not familiar enough with the genres, but a few times i've felt there were better messages coming across than in typical pop/rock/hip hop/country/blues/etc. a bit dreamy, perhaps, but welcome.
Freeze1st
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1213
RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/02/03 10:59:25 (permalink)
Music is a dish best served cold! I'm only kidding, if that were the case, the only way to describe my music is that it has melted!

ru
  • Total Posts : 555
RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/02/03 15:34:48 (permalink)
nothing and everything are one.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1