my new used bass

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
tls11823
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 227
RE: my new used bass 2008/09/13 18:33:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mcourter

I'm still a novice, so I imagine I'll try both tunings, just to shake up the mindset, you know...............

Are you saying that you intend to tune each string up a fourth from where it's intended? I wouldn't recommend that - for the sake of the strings or the neck. I would hope the strings would give way before damaging the instrument.

If I misunderstood you, or if you're going to be using strings designed for those notes, please ignore me.
mlockett
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2099
RE: my new used bass 2008/09/13 18:52:15 (permalink)
If you want a higher tuned version you could by a pack of strings for a 6-string bass, and leave the low B off. The extra string on the sixth string is higher. (You might be able to find individual strings so you don't have to waste one.) Hopefully the different strings fit the nut and bridge OK. You'll probably need to adjust intonation and maybe neck tension afterward.
mcourter
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3442
RE: my new used bass 2008/09/13 20:27:39 (permalink)
Thanks for all the advice, fellas. As it is I'm currently tuned the traditional way, low B, so danger is averted. I was wondering if the additional string tension might not be good for the neck.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
Unbridled Enthusiasm
 My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
Geokauf
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 912
RE: my new used bass 2008/09/13 22:23:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mcourter

Once again I'm utterly stymied trying to post pics here. But, in any event, here's a link to pics of my new bass, a Carvin I got on ebay:

http://www.carvinbbs.com/viewtopic.php?t=10370

This is a terrific instrument, my first 5 string, and I wanted to share it with my friends here too.
Mark

Hello,

Congrats. I love my Carvin 5-String (LB-75), also purchased on E-bay. You can view it at the link below:

Link: http://www.gmkmg.com/carvin_bass.htm

I bought this instrument in 2000. It was my first E-bay purchase. I e-mailed the seller and arranged to have him call me. I told him I wanted 24 hour approval, that is if I won the instrument I could have 24 hours to examine the instrument and if it wasn't "as described" I could immediately return it (at my expense) for a refund, less shipping. He refused, but he assured me that this instrument was in mint condition and that I would be 100% satisfied. On that assurance I bid and won the instrument. And as you can see it is beautiful. I don’t read “Bass Player” magazine but I was thumbing through one at Guitar Center while my son was browsing for something. They reviewed the Carvin basses. They said that the Carvin basses could be compared not just to $3,500 basses but instruments costing much more ($8,000-$10,000). The woods are first rate and the necks are comfortable and precise. The LB-75 also has the narrower 5-string neck of all the instruments I tried. I prefer a narrow neck.

I've purchased a number of musical instruments on E-Bay and I have gotten the seller to agree to a 24 hour approval if I won the item (I haven't always won). Among other things, I teach instrumental music so I've purchased a number of trombones and other instruments for my students all with the seller agreeing to 24 hour approval. I've bought a number of expensive instruments, including a delicious '94 Les Paul Standard. If I'm serious about spending that kind of money then I have to speak with the seller about the condition and agreeing to 24 hour approval. In the case of the Les Paul there was a reserve and no bid had reached it. I call the seller (which happened to be a music store in Ohio) and I spoke to the guy in charge of E-Bay. I told him I was dead serious about buying this guitar - tell me the reserve price. He hem's and haws. So he tells me. I say I'll pay that right now. Take my credit card. He's speechless. The I said I need to have 24 hour approval and explained that I'd examine the instrument and if it wasn't as described I could return it the very next day). He says, no problem (and here's the punch line) - but your not going to want to return this instrument. (That is what I was hoping I would hear). When the instrument arrived it was beautiful. Take a look:

Link: http://www.gmkmg.com/les_paul.htm (sorry the picture is terribly overexposed. It's not that red and the neck is dark rosewood (otherwise it looks EXACTLY like that).

I’ve had a few “less-than-perfect” transactions and ones you wouldn’t expect. I bought a student trombone from a private dealer of used trombones who advertised in the auction 7 day unconditional return if not satisfied. Even then I called the seller to confirm that the instrument was in the required condition and he assured me it was. When it arrived it was cr*p; a worn-out school horn and a busted case. I sent it back but I was outraged – not because it was a junk instrument but I expected that with 7 day approval that I wouldn’t get a junk instrument. I’ve had my best luck with individuals.

GK
mcourter
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3442
RE: my new used bass 2008/09/14 18:20:21 (permalink)
Geo, the quilt top on that bass is sensational. I was looking at almost exactly the bass a couple of weeks ago, but let it go.

Now that I've had time to play mine for 6 hours or so: it truly is a thing of beauty, sonically as well as physically. The muscular low end is unbelievable. I'm extremely happy with it. Now I'm looking for Carvin's DC127 or DC400. If I can find the right price, I'll try ebay again........

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
Unbridled Enthusiasm
 My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1