Will you buy it?

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
delon
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Will you buy it? 2009/01/26 13:48:41 (permalink)
dbmusic,

You said it all and very well I might add. The controller is great tho - at least it looks great - played with it at NAMM. Every function of Sonar 8 is at your fingertips - the blended xray toggle was particularly cool. I would overpay to get the controller - but I won't replace all of my I/O or buy a high end hardward synth to get it. Newbies won't be able to justify 5 grand to get into the market - Like you I can't see who buys this - at least in any numbers. I have a feeling that the only way to get the kind of control they have is to control the entire I/O chain.

d
AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
RE: Will you buy it? 2009/01/26 14:48:15 (permalink)
The package is about $4000 (the last time I saw a price). The i/o with fantom is $2000 per Seth. You do the math. On one of the videos Brandon hints that this is a first in a hoped series of hardware controllers for Cake.

There has certainly been enough requests for a controller-only bit of hardware I imagine Roland is interested. But I can't imagine Roland publicly speculating since the v-700 is just now shipping. Personally, I'd love something like the small Yama/Stein small controller - one fader and the knobs assignments specific for SONAR. That is something I could justify for use here at home.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
easttenndoc
  • Total Posts : 45
RE: Will you buy it? 2009/01/26 15:14:05 (permalink)
Put me down as another vote for controller-only availability. With a MOTU Mk3, Fantom-X, V-Synth GT and a raft of hardware and software synths, this is simply money wasted for me that I could use for something else in the studio. As a controller, it looks fantastic for controlling Sonar, but as currently configured it still would make more sense for me to go with the Mackie Control.

And a $200 dollar rebate? Give me a break. Like many, I already have bought and paid for the full Producer edition the full version of Rapture. I'm having trouble figuring out how they worked the math to come up with only a $200 rebate.
Crg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7719
RE: Will you buy it? 2009/01/26 20:55:15 (permalink)
I'm not sure I follow your staterment. The I/O unit will hook up to your existing interface several ways. Though I don't know what you are using for an interface, is there a glitch with hooking up to your existing equipment? I'm very intereated myself in the compatability of the ADAT and USB connections when using other interfaces at the same time.
ORIGINAL: delon

dbmusic,

You said it all and very well I might add. The controller is great tho - at least it looks great - played with it at NAMM. Every function of Sonar 8 is at your fingertips - the blended xray toggle was particularly cool. I would overpay to get the controller - but I won't replace all of my I/O or buy a high end hardward synth to get it. Newbies won't be able to justify 5 grand to get into the market - Like you I can't see who buys this - at least in any numbers. I have a feeling that the only way to get the kind of control they have is to control the entire I/O chain.

d

post edited by Crg - 2009/01/26 20:59:51

Craig DuBuc
delon
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Will you buy it? 2009/01/27 10:47:41 (permalink)
Hi Crg,

I am certain it would work - one would just plug the cakewalk I/O into an exsiting signal chain. But would I like that better than using my Germanium, portico 5012, Vipre or ADl 600 preamp through my APogee AD/DA, GMA 8900 and Neve 8816 summing mixer.? In fact I would probably be concerned about a possible signal degradation. $5,000 is a big number and only gear addicts like us will buy things like this. What we Sonar guys needs is controller support and we have needed it for some time. It makes no sense to ignore such market hunger. Come on CakeWalk / Roland - do you hear what I hear?
TerraSin
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1975
RE: Will you buy it? 2009/02/07 00:58:29 (permalink)
I was seriously considering it when my DM4800 was giving me issues. Then I saw the price tag... No thank you very much.
post edited by TerraSin - 2009/05/16 01:02:01
Zo
Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5036
RE: Will you buy it? 2009/02/07 09:00:44 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: delon

Hi Crg,

I am certain it would work - one would just plug the cakewalk I/O into an exsiting signal chain. But would I like that better than using my Germanium, portico 5012, Vipre or ADl 600 preamp through my APogee AD/DA, GMA 8900 and Neve 8816 summing mixer.? In fact I would probably be concerned about a possible signal degradation. $5,000 is a big number and only gear addicts like us will buy things like this. What we Sonar guys needs is controller support and we have needed it for some time. It makes no sense to ignore such market hunger. Come on CakeWalk / Roland - do you hear what I hear?

I think it's just a question of time , this is called V studio , so the target marked is more ingeneer or producer who want a all in one ready to go set up , of course we have here all the same wishes , and cakewalk will release the surface later , i'm sure they will !!!

The question is when ?

the fact is that if they have dropped on the table two options , surface only and the whole set up , i don't think they would be able to sell the all in one set up , so basically people who really want the surface (like me) will buy the vs studio just for it .....at the same time it will be the occasion for costumers to apreciate the inteface and so by the way cake-roland give the proof to the community that they handle the inerface aspect better than everybody seems to think....
post edited by Zo - 2009/02/07 09:15:22

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
Softube Summit EQ
IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1