BPM versus Maschine

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
rcross
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 252
RE: BPM versus Maschine 2009/04/06 11:23:42 (permalink)
It is funny how everyone is talking now about BPM and Maschine, but I don't remember such craze when GURU came out. Even though GURU had about 80% of functionality of either. And don't get started with the Maschine's integrated controller - GURU 1.5 has such an extensive MIDI implementation, that one can map a controller to every single aspect of that application, including the browser.

BTW, I got my answer to which is better - BPM or Maschine. It is Live 8.

--rC--
kb420
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1839
RE: BPM versus Maschine 2009/04/08 16:41:15 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: rcross
BTW, I got my answer to which is better - BPM or Maschine. It is Live 8.

+1

"Now, excuse me while I jump into my Jaguar; I need to board my private jet for the usual weekend trip to my mansion on the Big Island. I think Trixie, Crystal, and Heather are already there...must not keep them waiting in the hot tub!"

-Craig Anderton-
cryophonik
Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4724
Re: RE: BPM versus Maschine 2009/07/25 11:31:31 (permalink)
Digging up an old thread here because over the past 7 months, I've gone through Guru, BPM, and just purchased Maschine.  It didn't take me more than a few hours with Maschine to declare it the hands-down winner IMO.  I wanted to like Guru, but too many things about it just bug me (particularly that terrible GUI - wtf were they thinking?) and with the pending release of D-Cam, FXpansion will be busy for a long time with bug fixes, updates, etc., so I don't expect to see Guru 2 any time soon.

BPM puts Guru 1 to shame.  Yeah, I know a lot of people don't like the fact that MOTU essentially ripped Guru off (I kinda subscribed to that sentiment at one point myself), but, hey, let's face it - Guru just ripped off Akai, right?  Anyway, BPM is pretty cool, but something about just doesn't feel "right" to me and I really wanted to have a dedicated controller, so I sold off a few goodies (BPM will probably be on the market soon BTW, once I bounce my project's BPM tracks to audio) and bought Maschine.  It's incredible.  It is to drum machines what my Virus TI is to synths - virtually every control is dedicated, so there are no CC#s to deal with, no MIDI learn/forget, no ACT, no templates, no trying to remember what knob #4 is controlling, etc. - it just works and doesn't get in the way of making music.  The pads feel great (much better than my old MPD24) and the hardware is pretty solid.  Some people think it's on the overpriced side, but I disagree.  Maschine is deep and is very thoughtfully implemented from a musician's standpoint.  And, it's NI, so I just know that it's going to have great support and long lifetime of development.  But, I also admit that I'm a little awestruck with it because it's new to me, so we'll see how I feel about it once the honeymoon is over.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my opinions in case anyone's interested.

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

rcross
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 252
Re: RE: BPM versus Maschine 2009/07/26 00:59:27 (permalink)
Cryo,

glad you found the ultimate toy.

As to the faith of guru, I think they will develop it, since it is being done with the new DBeat from onpenlabs.

--rC--
syntheticpop
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 688
Re: RE: BPM versus Maschine 2009/07/26 13:01:05 (permalink)
but isn't BMP geared towards Urban music?  will a user have to add additional samples and use their own library that's more suited for electronic music?  The way it looks is that BMP is marketed as a hip hop, rap, r&b beat production workstation.  I would definitely think about picking one of these up if there website that promotes BPM make it sound like this would be good for electronic music, especially Dance, Techno, Trance, EBM, Industrial, Synthpop and other genres of electronic music.

Machine looks very enticing and it's made by Native Instruments which you all know are makers of instruments geared towards electronic music.  Plus you get hardware + software and not just a photo that resembles a true piece of hardware.
syntheticpop
Re: RE: BPM versus Maschine 2009/07/27 15:45:33 (permalink)
Just read some user reviews of Machine and it looks like the software that accompanies it is still buggy.  With less than half the fraction of the cost of Machine, I think BPM would be a solid choice - just add a drum pad controller and you're set.  15gb's of content doesn't seem like a lot, especially when a lot of it is geared towards urban music but that's more than Guru's 2gb's.  Musicansfriend has GURU on Clearance and labels it as being discontinued so perhaps there will be a new version of Guru soon. 
cryophonik
Re: RE: BPM versus Maschine 2009/07/27 16:13:33 (permalink)
syntheticpop

but isn't BMP geared towards Urban music?  will a user have to add additional samples and use their own library that's more suited for electronic music?  The way it looks is that BMP is marketed as a hip hop, rap, r&b beat production workstation.  I would definitely think about picking one of these up if there website that promotes BPM make it sound like this would be good for electronic music, especially Dance, Techno, Trance, EBM, Industrial, Synthpop and other genres of electronic music.

Yeah, BPM's library has a large proportion of hip-hop/RnB samples and kits, but there are also a lot of EDM/EBM/IDM samples/kits there as well.  But, I have my own sample libraries that I use and I rarely use the included content in any drum VST (aside from Stylus RMX).  And, it's very easy to add your own libraries to BPM's favorites and import and use those samples in your projects (although nowhere near as usable as Maschine's!).  But, aside from the disproportionate amount of hip-hop/RnB samples, there is really nothing feature- or function-wise that makes BPM exclusive to those styles.  I'd recommend it over Guru for EDM any day, but that's just my opinion.

syntheticpop

Just read some user reviews of Machine and it looks like the software that accompanies it is still buggy.

Yeah, I've read about some bugs, but haven't experienced any of them yet.  That's not surprising and it definitely doesn't mean that it's unusable by any means.  The 1.1 update is finishing up beta testing and will reportedly be available soon - that update is reportedly going to address most of the bugs and add some new features/functions.

syntheticpop

Musicansfriend has GURU on Clearance and labels it as being discontinued so perhaps there will be a new version of Guru soon. 

That's because FXpansion went to download-only a few months ago, so no retailers are selling Guru anymore.

syntheticpop
Re: RE: BPM versus Maschine 2009/07/28 12:34:22 (permalink)
cryophonik

Yeah, BPM's library has a large proportion of hip-hop/RnB samples and kits, but there are also a lot of EDM/EBM/IDM samples/kits there as well.  But, I have my own sample libraries that I use and I rarely use the included content in any drum VST (aside from Stylus RMX).  And, it's very easy to add your own libraries to BPM's favorites and import and use those samples in your projects (although nowhere near as usable as Maschine's!). 

so the samples included in BPM aren't as usable as Machines?  so Machine's samples are easier to incorporate into a song because they sound better?

so what's the verdict?  BPM or Machine?  NickP, which one did you choose?  Did you audition the one that you didn't choose?  Someone should post the Pro's and Cons of each.  It sounds like either one would make a great addition to Project 5 and even Sonar since I haven't heard rave reviews about Sonar's Session Drummer.
cryophonik
Re: RE: BPM versus Maschine 2009/07/28 14:31:11 (permalink)
syntheticpop

so the samples included in BPM aren't as usable as Machines?  so Machine's samples are easier to incorporate into a song because they sound better?

Depends on your definition of "usable".  IMHO, the libraries in Guru, BPM, and Maschine are all good and usable, I just prefer using my third-party samples.  Also, the samples are all in .wav format, so you can use the samples (but not the kits) interchangeably if you own two or more of these VSTs.

syntheticpop

NickP, which one did you choose?

I'm pretty sure that he never bought any of them and, the last I remember reading, he has switched platforms and is now not making music with a Mac/Logic.

muso_price
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 496
Re: RE: BPM versus Maschine 2009/07/28 18:23:27 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure that he never bought any of them and, the last I remember reading, he has switched platforms and is now not making music with a Mac/Logic.

LMAO

syntheticpop
Re: RE: BPM versus Maschine 2009/07/28 19:03:35 (permalink)
so Nick P is no longer a part of the Sonar universe?
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1