acoustic vs electronic drums

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Jonbouy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22562
RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/01/30 00:14:26 (permalink)
It's funny kind of irony in that I've never played an electronic kit...because I could never get the hang of it, somehow what you are playing doesn't relate to what is coming out of an amp or PA in the same way as the direct feedback you get off a real kit, which for me was the entire buzz of playing.

I played for a living for 30 years 15 of those in the studio. I WAS the drum machine that several studios got in when the band player wasn't cutting it...but for reasons of health I'd still be at it, rather than doing my utmost to kludge midi which actually is probably the real irony.

I don't remember saying that I don't prefer the sound of a 'live' kit here at all. You can emulate a performance like the example I showed but you can't get it to sound the same by any other means than playing. But I like to have a crack at it every now and then. That particular performance I don't think anyone else but the original performer could play anyway...so I had fun having a stab for the sake of it. If I'm producing a song personally I don't care what I use as long as the result is in keeping with the song otherwise we'd all still be playing chamber music in string quartets if we were all REAL traditionalists that is.

What I did say however that sometimes using a drum machine is the best alternative that someone may have at hand...i.e. if the drummer sucks or you are not equipped to record a full kit well....both of which are common scenarios for most mere mortals that want to write. Not only that as has been mentioned if you are doing dance music you wouldn't hire Pick Withers to lay down the groove surely.

The best reason and perhaps the only real reason to have real acoustic drums is because you love playing, or you want to charge someone that does recording fees, as far as being creative goes there are plenty of adequate alternatives if you are producing demo's or indeed chart hits...how many top 40 tunes have 'real' drummers playing 'real' drums on them and which ones are which?

But if you want a real kit go out and get one, I don't mind honest...

btw I got a virtual dog on my PC too, I don't want a real one because I don't wanna keep taking it for walks or clearing up the poop if I forget. I may be some kinda philistine but it suits me presently.
post edited by Jonbouy - 2009/01/30 00:33:22

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
Legion
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1986
RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/01/31 03:59:00 (permalink)
Can people tell the difference? Sometimes.

What I mean is off course a drummer would be able to tell the difference, they work with the drums all day everyday. I on the other hand, and most people with me, probably wouldn't be able to tell real drums from a good recording with DFH, BFD or even EZD or AD. On very many big recordings today many even use drum sound replacements on actual recordings and rarely do I hear 'hey, that snare was definitley changed!' or anything similar.

Then I guess most rock drummers couldn't tell the difference between the -93 East Coast rap flow and a -95 West Coast rap flow and they are night and day to me.
post edited by Legion - 2009/01/31 04:03:53

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
KenJr
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 742
RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/02/01 20:18:03 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: skullsession

Nope. You'll always be able to tell there are samples being played instead of live drums.

BS. Check this out:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EdEgLibE_jQ&feature=related

This is good too - just shows some of the capabilities that you have plus a killer drummer showing it off (sadly, part 2 doesn't work which showed some amazing hi-hat stuff...)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=roLX4ZW2Ldk

I would seriously argue that for most of 'us'...people recording in their house and small project studios that don't have the best room or $25k mic lockers...you aren't going to get much better than this stuff.

You could invest in a $4-5k set of really nice electronic drums with multi-triggers, etc... and get some really, really nice sounds that with a good drummer will be very difficult for folks to know that they aren't recorded live. Actually, the funny thing is that the high end samples like the superior 2.0 stuff IS live drums recorded with high end mics in some of the best spaces available.

So, to say you'll ALWAYS be able to tell is BS.
post edited by KenJr - 2009/02/01 20:24:56

My Gear/Studio Pics
My Music

<--Yes, that's a Paul Reed Smith acoustic...and I want one!!
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/02/01 22:51:37 (permalink)
Drum replacement is so commonplace nowadays you could make the case that samples are what the audience expects to hear.

It's no different than all those teenyboppers who believe that every 17-year-old perky singer on the Disney Channel has perfect pitch. Instantaneous pitch shifting? Oh, yeh, all the really talented singers can do that. And they're all double-tracked, even when performing live!

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Limelight
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 87
RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/02/02 12:24:48 (permalink)
acoustic kit.all the way

www.limelight.moonfruit.com
Spaceduck
Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2499
RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/02/02 13:07:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bitflipper

Drum replacement is so commonplace nowadays you could make the case that samples are what the audience expects to hear.

It's no different than all those teenyboppers who believe that every 17-year-old perky singer on the Disney Channel has perfect pitch. Instantaneous pitch shifting? Oh, yeh, all the really talented singers can do that. And they're all double-tracked, even when performing live!

I remember the day I learned the dirty secret of the multi-track recorder. You mean bands don't just hit record and play the whole song together, like the Partridge Family? The whole art of recording has become an exercise in perceptive fakery: how to create the illusion that a bunch of talented humans are standing in a room performing real instruments together, when in reality there's no such performace (or talent? or even humans?).

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot to be said about illusions. Isn't that what an oil painting seeks to do? Make you think you're experiencing a glorious sunset when actually you're staring at flat cotton fibers stained with oil based pigments? But there's nothing like the real deal.

I recently had the priviledge of talking to an old school bluegrass player. He said they just stick one mic in the middle of the room. They each know when to step up & back from the mic. Here they are in action... no mixing required!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIhVekPkjBg

I guess what I'm saying is I don't have anything against fake drums (heck I use them at least 75% of the time). But I hope it doesn't end up replacing the real thing. Sadly, I think it eventually will, just like you'll never see a band record together anymore... you gotta wonder about what the music has lost by taking away the real-time interplay between instruments & musicians

Spaceduck music [HERE]
Spaceduck videos [HERE]
jacktheexcynic
Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3069
RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/02/02 18:39:09 (permalink)
i think the expanded recording process makes up for the challenges of 20th century instruments (and stereo reproduction). unfortunately, sometimes that process goes way too far. sometimes the process becomes the focal point instead of the music.

- jack the ex-cynic
j boy
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2729
RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/02/02 19:09:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jacktheexcynic

i think the expanded recording process makes up for the challenges of 20th century instruments (and stereo reproduction). unfortunately, sometimes that process goes way too far. sometimes the process becomes the focal point instead of the music.

The medium is the message. or so Marshall McLuhan said.

I wonder how many newbs record their first however many songs at 120 bpm and 4/4 time just because that's the default in their DAW...
jacktheexcynic
RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/02/02 19:33:03 (permalink)
ha probably quite a few... i'm reasonably sure that's how nickelback got started...

- jack the ex-cynic
Hookworm
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/02/03 01:44:14 (permalink)
Do any non-drummers have any experience with getting decent sounds from recording live drumlines on single drums? (i.e. as a guitarist I can't play an entire kit but I could rock a single hi hat or ride and use some creative looping to get the lines I need for each song). I was considering buying a kit just for this purpose, as the only thing I'm really unhappy with as far as samples go is cymbals and toms. Plus you wouldn't have the logistical issues of micing/recording a full kit, just 1 or 2 drums at a time.

Obviously it still wouldn't be as good as a real drummer because you not only have sonic nuances of sympathetic ringing etc, but the rhythmic nuances of live playing as well...but it seems like it could potentially be superior to straight programming.
Jonbouy
RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/02/03 08:00:39 (permalink)
Hookworm

You could achieve a great deal using that method.

Not only that necessity being the mother of invention and all, you'd most likely surprise yourself at your ability after a few months.

Drummers sound great when they are having fun which is should be the prompt for someone to bring the mics round to try to capture that.

Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/02/03 08:26:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jonbouy

Hookworm

You could achieve a great deal using that method.

Not only that necessity being the mother of invention and all, you'd most likely surprise yourself at your ability after a few months.

Drummers sound great when they are having fun which is should be the prompt for someone to bring the mics round to try to capture that.

Hmmm....

Maybe.

The problem is that there is SO much interplay going on between a good drummer and his kit pieces - notably kick/snare/hat of course.

Just watch any reasonably good drummer (check out Terry Bozzio's solo on the Baby Snakes DVD).

The problem, clearly is one of timing - it's ok to rattle out a few rhythms on a hat, but could you in all honesty, leave gaps for where you'd be hitting a snare/tom/cymbal, all at breakneck speed?

Doubtful.

If you want total realsim - buy a kit and learn to play.
Then rent/buy/borrow a decent sized room with a laod of acoustic treatment, a bagful of quality mics, quality pre-amps and you're ready to rock & roll.

Of course, you'd need someone else to run the equipment as you'd be doing the drumming!!!!

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
spacey
  • Total Posts : 8769
RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/02/03 09:12:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: fgelinas

I play in a 50's and 60's band and decided to record an homemade cd. I want the drum kit to sound natural. I am able to mike my kit and get a decent sound. Then, the drummer tells me he just bought a Yamaha DTExpress IV electronic drums and would like to use it instead of my acoustic kit. I never worked with an electronic drum kit. Will I be able to get a natural sounding drum sound out of it?

Tricky question...I don't know what you can do. Go for it and find out and keep your drummer happy too. What the heck.

"Of course, I'd really like to be able to record the drums in midi and be able to correct the performance at will... but I already invested in a better set of overheads..."

No big deal...after you record the electronic drums have him do the acoustic trip.

"What are your thoughts about electronic drumsets? Anything to say about the DTExpress IV?

I don't use them but got a kick out of hearing a friend play them. I remember thinking, a time and place for everything.
j boy
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2729
RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/02/03 12:20:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Hookworm

Do any non-drummers have any experience with getting decent sounds from recording live drumlines on single drums? (i.e. as a guitarist I can't play an entire kit but I could rock a single hi hat or ride and use some creative looping to get the lines I need for each song).

I don't think that'd turn out so hip to be frank. What might work out is to record the kick drum separately then record the rest of the kit.
altima_boy_2001
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2033
RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/02/04 04:58:31 (permalink)
The great thing about MIDI is that you can record at half-speed then double it after recording with few ill effects. Almost anybody should be able to learn things good enough to play half-speed or one-third-speed for very fast parts.

My feet still don't have speed to match my hands so I'm more likely to record everything from v-drums while playing a simpler kick pattern and then just programming in the other kick drum notes as needed.

You can use me as your eSoundz referral (altima_boy_2001).
serauk
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 158
RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/02/06 09:33:15 (permalink)
wow this thread is still going - Bristol_Jonesy makes a good point about the interaction between the drummer and the kit, and I think its interesting that he uses Terry as an example. Terry has played on several different kinds of kits, including various variations of Roland and Yamaha e-drums. From some things that have been said in this thread, this means (to some people) that the things he did on e-drums must automatically be inferior to those on acoustic drums. I personally doubt that anyone could really distinguish which were which if they heard them cold, but then I'm partially deaf anyway (too much drums?). However, my original point was that the drum 'sound' you hear is dependent on each element in the chain: the drummer, the equipment (including samples, mikes, as well as drums themselves), the room, the engineer, the producer. Everyone and everything that touches the sound is involved, and its only going to be as good as the worse part of the chain. So you could have Terry Bozzio playing on his favorite kit at the Record Plant, but if I was the engineer it'd probably sound like crap . And, it just ocurred to me, there's another part of the chain to consider: the person listening to it. My sister is still convinced Ringo Starr is the best drummer ever because he was so cute in the Beatles.

CMWright
kev11111111111111
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1772
RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/02/06 12:35:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: fgelinas

I play in a 50's and 60's band and decided to record an homemade cd. I want the drum kit to sound natural. I am able to mike my kit and get a decent sound. Then, the drummer tells me he just bought a Yamaha DTExpress IV electronic drums and would like to use it instead of my acoustic kit. I never worked with an electronic drum kit. Will I be able to get a natural sounding drum sound out of it?

Of course, I'd really like to be able to record the drums in midi and be able to correct the performance at will... but I already invested in a better set of overheads...

What are your thoughts about electronic drumsets? Anything to say about the DTExpress IV?

I think it all depends on the music you're doing. For example in Hip Hop, it almost goes without saying the drum is gonna come from some sort of loop - this is a big part in how it started,sampling breakbeats and the like and then rapping over them.
But for your kind of thing (50s,60s music) I think you have to keep it authentic to the style you're after portraying. A loop or an electronic drumbeat might seem easily out of place,and might place the listener totally in the wrong time zone !!! If I were you I'd go in studio and get it done professionally.I know it can be expensive,but in the long term I think it makes sense...particulary if u're using the CD as demo. The 50s,60s thing sound like a really good angle to me.Best of luck with it !
Kev
Jonbouy
RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/02/06 13:24:20 (permalink)
My sister is still convinced Ringo Starr is the best drummer ever because he was so cute in the Beatles.

Yer Sister has a point! Terry Bozzio would most likely have messed up 'Please Please Me' just by sheer over indulgence, whereas Ringo has got just the perfect touch there.

Technical virtuosity is about as useful to music as gymnastic ability is to dancing.

UbiquitousBubba
  • Total Posts : 8912
RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/02/11 13:39:46 (permalink)
I'm enjoying this thread. There have been some good observations and suggestions offered.

I'm a drummer who has played both acoustic and electronic drums. I started playing electronic drums about 15 years ago. (Yes, I'm old.) In my opinion, they should be approached as a similar but different instrument.

Electronic drums fit more naturally in some genres than in others. If I were recording a Chicago blues project, I would want a live-sounding acoustic kit with plenty of warmth and ambiance. I'd want to hear the buzz of the snare, the resonance of the toms, and the ringing of the cymbals. On a pop or hard rock project, I would lean towards the electronic kit. Ultimately, the drum sound that sounds best is the one that sits in the mix, delivers the desired feel, and helps to "make" the song.

In my most humble opinion, the real reason why electronic drums sound "different" is not because of the sounds but because of the drum part itself. Those of us who remember the stories can recite the legends of how some of Bonham's best drum sounds were produced with less than ideal mic techniques. What made the drums sound so incredible was not the sound of the recording but the performance of the artist. Then unfortunate tendancy for many of us is to utlize our Awesome Powers of Engineering to "correct" the midi track for perfect timing. The original human timing is one of the things that makes the acoustic drums sound more natural than their electronic counterpart. Obviously, this is not the only difference, but it is often overlooked when comparing the two.

There's my $0.02. I'll go back to lurking now.
jacktheexcynic
RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/02/11 18:52:02 (permalink)
no need to lurk. good point about bonham. although his sound doesn't "fit" today's mixes, his grooves would be a nice breath of fresh air.

- jack the ex-cynic
serauk
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 158
RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/02/11 21:20:30 (permalink)

no need to lurk. good point about bonham. although his sound doesn't "fit" today's mixes, his grooves would be a nice breath of fresh air.

amen - we miss you johnny boy! and keith, and... why is the mortality rate so high for drummers? (yes, you can insert a Spinal Tap joke here if you want)

CMWright
tfbattag
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 422
RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/02/11 21:46:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: UbiquitousBubba

I'm enjoying this thread. There have been some good observations and suggestions offered.

I'm a drummer who has played both acoustic and electronic drums. I started playing electronic drums about 15 years ago. (Yes, I'm old.) In my opinion, they should be approached as a similar but different instrument.

Electronic drums fit more naturally in some genres than in others. If I were recording a Chicago blues project, I would want a live-sounding acoustic kit with plenty of warmth and ambiance. I'd want to hear the buzz of the snare, the resonance of the toms, and the ringing of the cymbals. On a pop or hard rock project, I would lean towards the electronic kit. Ultimately, the drum sound that sounds best is the one that sits in the mix, delivers the desired feel, and helps to "make" the song.

In my most humble opinion, the real reason why electronic drums sound "different" is not because of the sounds but because of the drum part itself. Those of us who remember the stories can recite the legends of how some of Bonham's best drum sounds were produced with less than ideal mic techniques. What made the drums sound so incredible was not the sound of the recording but the performance of the artist. Then unfortunate tendancy for many of us is to utlize our Awesome Powers of Engineering to "correct" the midi track for perfect timing. The original human timing is one of the things that makes the acoustic drums sound more natural than their electronic counterpart. Obviously, this is not the only difference, but it is often overlooked when comparing the two.

There's my $0.02. I'll go back to lurking now.

Not only all of this, but...

It's really interesting recording live drums in the sense that mic-bleed from different distances, phase alignment, etc. play such a huge part in the overall sound. My most recent project had a three measure section that switched from 2/4 to 4/4. The original recording had a timing issue on the high-hat and kick, which were playing 16ths and eighths from 2/4 to 4/4. I went back to edit and fix the timing issues. I aligned all of the tracks in this section to the groove established by the bass (the grid was way too accurate). Doing so completely revealed the phasing and bleed issues. I spent quite a bit of time trying to adjust everything so that every track sat in its proper relative time, but I could never get it to not sound mechanical.

It was definitely correct, but it had absolutely no groove or feel. Thus, I am apprehensive to using MIDI and perfect-time alignement as the source fro drum tracks in the types of music that I record.

To me, the human element, both in composition and performance, is what makes music an art form. Any instrument, or set of instruments that helps to involve the human imperfection only enhances the art.

Thomas Battaglia
:wq!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Intel DP35DP, Q6600, 6GB RAM, Win7Pro x64; RME HDSPe RayDAT; RME ADI8-DS x2, RME ADI-2.
tfbattag
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 422
RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/02/11 21:50:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: serauk

amen - we miss you johnny boy! and keith, and... why is the mortality rate so high for drummers? (yes, you can insert a Spinal Tap joke here if you want)

RIP Stump Pepys, and Stumpy Joe.

Thomas Battaglia
:wq!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Intel DP35DP, Q6600, 6GB RAM, Win7Pro x64; RME HDSPe RayDAT; RME ADI8-DS x2, RME ADI-2.
alex lunden
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/09/11 04:10:15 (permalink)
I use the real drums (or sometimes in rehearsal with the band I just play on my knees actually, doesn't need the whole drumkit when learning the song but still its nice to hear real drums in the PA) and then add ProTrig for triggering the sound. Earlier I used Drumagog but it works so much better with ProTrig, Drumagog was great but is a bit out of date... The absolute best sound is achieved when using real drums and then triggering them. Ezdrummer, Addictive Drums ets works great as sound banks.
dnahoy
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 82
Re: RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/09/15 12:48:58 (permalink)
And there I was thinking "hmm, maybe I'll do a song with some drums in it and go to the CW forums to see what folks are saying about drums" and after looking at this thread I think I am going to continue not using drums. ever.

apologetically located at:
https://soundcloud.com/frostforus
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1