2009/02/09 22:01:25 (permalink)

Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual
Core Processor 4000+
2.10 Ghz, 3.00 GB Ram

Windows XP Home Edition version 2002 Service Pack 3

NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT graphics card

Western Digitial 500 GB SATA Hard Drive

Motherboard: BioStar TF7050-M2 T-Series (www.biostar.com.tw)

M-Audio 1010LT Audio Card

If you need any other info to help you help me, let me know.

All other software works just fine, until using Sonar Producer 8.0.2.

The installation worked fine, the only part that gave me trouble was when it said something about Not finding a directory for Microsoft Visual C++ redistrubation 2005 directory? I canceled it and continued the installation. I have later found, I already have that on my system.. maybe it was trying to write over itself? This is the only thing I think maybe the problem with my blue screens, but I am unsure. It would seem most unlikely to be problem unless there is a higher version than version 8.0.50727.42 of Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable.

The Blue Screen seems to happen when I am editing Audio Clips, using V-Vocal, or AudioSnap. I have seen 5 blue screens in the last 4 days.

As soon as I see the blue screen, my computer automatically restarts so quick I only see part of the message. Something about Memory access problem or something. I do remember it saying MEMEORY in capital letters, and this seems to be the same blue screen each time.

Odd, is 3 GB of memory enough? The only other software I use with Sonar Producer 8.0.2 is Project 5 version 2.

This is the first blue screen I have ever seen on windows XP, I use to seem them alot with Windows 98 and lower.. but Windows XP?? First blue screen? From Sonar? or what?

Please help!

These are my processes:

svchost.exe
alg.exe
taskmgr.exe
DeltaIITray.exe
rundll32.exe
ALCFDRTM.exe
cfp.exe
mainserv.exe
Res.exe
InCD.exe
avgcc.exe
nvsvc32.exe
cmdagent.exe
RTHDCPL.exe
avgemc.exe
explorer.exe
InCDsrv.exe
spoolsv.exe
LSSrvc.exe
lsass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
smss.exe
apcsystray.exe
KHALMNPR.exe
mdm.exe
avgupsvc.exe
ctfmon.exe
avgamsvr.exe
System
system Idle Process

I have omitted repeated process names.

Says I have 41 Processes, Commit Charge: 449M / 4956M

Pysical Memory (K)
Total 3144108
Available 2539480
System Cache 571868

Kernel Memory (K)
Total 117500
Paged 104032
Nonpaged 13464

Totals
handles 9720
threads 502
processes 41

Commit Charge (K)
total 459980
limit 5075348
peak 499268

42 Replies Related Threads

MemphisJo
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 594
    RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/09 22:08:35 (permalink)
    Get used to blue screens with Sonar 8, just set Windows to re boot automatically when it crashes and Sonar to auto save to avoid too much anguish. Actually it is the computer that is crashing mostly not Sonar e.g. drivers, incompatible hardware etc. Audio software is very picky like that.

Sorry, yes 3GB of memory is enough.

http://www.beemerworld.com/tips/servicesxp.htm is a good site that tells you what services do what and what is safe to stop running, I keep most running but disconnecting from the internet and closing your anti virus is always a good idea. In fact no anti virus and no internet is best of all. Do you have Norton or McAfee?

This is a good site too http://www.marvswindowstips.com/index.html

I like the section that tells you how to change the blue screen of deaths color!!!!
    post edited by MemphisJo - 2009/02/09 22:21:59
    Richard Fey
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 650
    RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/09 22:31:14 (permalink)
    This is the first blue screen I have ever seen on windows XP, I use to seem them alot with Windows 98 and lower.. but Windows XP?? First blue screen? From Sonar? or what?

Almost all Blue Screen trouble is from driver problems, not from an application. low level drivers like WDM and ASIO, and faulty memory can also blue screen.

The actual error message is what you need.

You need to set XP so that it doesn't automatically reboot on the BS. Find System Props, or use the Windows hot key and hit the Pause key to call it up. Go to Advanced/Startup/Automatically restart and untick it.

Or you can use XP's Event Viewer in Administrative Tools to find the log entry for the blue screen.

Try a memcheck program.

Also, you might try a different driver model in Sonar from the one you're using.
    shawnbulen
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/09 23:46:29 (permalink)

A while back I was researching a different issue, & found a bunch of posts about AMD with issues with XP SP3. One example:
    http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/archive/2008/05/07/does-your-amd-based-computer-boot-after-installing-xp-sp3.aspx

If you google this, I believe you can find a link to the MS patch for AMD SP3 issues.

I thought this was my issue after SP3 installed itself, until I remembered I had Intel... Odd how long it took me to remember that at the time...

For me, my issues were caused by Iolo System Mechanic. I deinstalled the software, and all of my "SP3" issues went away.

Dogmatic attachment to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for an appropriate structure.
     - Fripp
    ew
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1837
    RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/10 00:09:15 (permalink)
    The blue screen thing with AMDs and SP3 was

1) only happening on the initial boot, and
    2) was patched in the SP3 download rather quickly.

If you downloaded SP3 from the Microsoft site any time after a couple weeks after the initial release, you shouldn't be affected.

ew
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/10 03:27:11 (permalink)
    As someone has already said the BSOD is nearly always caused by a low level problem such as drivers. An application doesn't actually cause it but can provoke it by use of that low level device.

If you really, really want to know exactly what is causing it....

1. Make sure that you have a page file allocated on your OS drive. Unless you've switched this off you will have. To check/set right Click My Computer->Properties->Advanced Tab->Performance Frame->Settings->Advance Tab->Virtual Memory Frame->Change Button. If you're not sure about manually setting it set to "System Managed Size". I've never seen any noticeable advantage by setting it manually. I only have mine turned on for the dump files. OK your way back to the System Properties->Advanced tab

2. Click on Startup and Recovery->Settings and make sure that under System failure frame->Write debugging information that "Small memory dump" is selected from the drop down box. Make a note of the small dump directory path probably set at "%SystemRoot%\Minidump". This is where you'll find the dump file. Unless you've changed from the default install that'll be in your C:\WINDOWS directory. You'll need to know it later. OK your way out.

3. Go to http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.Mspx and download the latest current release and then install it.

4. Start WinDbg and select File->Symbol Path Enter SRV*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols into the box. OK your way out. Exit and restart the program.

5. Now select File->Open Crash Dump and navigate your way to the Minidump directory whcih by default will be C:\WINDOWS\MiniDump and select the dump file you want to open. They have the format "MiniDateCountForDay" so you'll see something like Mini020809-01.dmp

6. It'll take a few seconds to load first time as it looks online for the symbols. If you're not online at the time you'll need to download the symbol files, put them on your harddrive somewhere and then tell WinDmp where they are. It's much easier and quicker being online

7. After a while you'll see a load of info and eventually a starred up banner with "Bugcheck Analysis" in it. Underneath that click on the !analyze bit in "Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information". You should then see a lot of mumbo jumbo from which you should be able to fairly easily decipher exactly what caused the crash. Won't fix it but at least you'll know and that's the sort of info a company needs to improve their drivers etc.

Hope this helps a bit.........
    strikinglyhandsome1
    Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7224
    RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/10 04:18:12 (permalink)
    I would go for driver conflict.

Blue screen is as regular in XP as any other - if you have a conflict.
    If you don't have a conflict then you don't see it.

The error message shoud say what it is and it's usually some audio thing - driver conflict.
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/11 00:52:03 (permalink)
    Get used to blue screens with Sonar 8,

huh?? never had a blue screen with sonar 8. Actually blue screens are hardware or driver issues. Its not a software issue and there for cannot be sonar, since its software.

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    pwal
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2909
    RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/11 03:22:50 (permalink)
    reinstall the c++ distro - that's what failed during the install, i bet that's your cause (windows can have mutliple/parallel versions of the c++ distro, depending on what's distributed with an app)

list of stuff
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/11 06:11:11 (permalink)
    Actually blue screens are hardware or driver issues. Its not a software issue and there for cannot be sonar, since its software.

Software can and does write illegal/bad instructions to hardware or drivers though and it CAN therefore be the culprit.

With me it always has something to do with my on-board USB hub in conflict with something else a pain but it doesn't just happen in Sonar and it prolly only happens once a week....it's seems like Sonar's fault sometimes just because I'm more likely to be using it than anything else at the time.

Removing any USB devices that are unneeded does mitigate the problem a bit for me.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Erik Nygaard
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/11 06:25:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: shawnbulen

A while back I was researching a different issue, & found a bunch of posts about AMD with issues with XP SP3. One example:
    http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/archive/2008/05/07/does-your-amd-based-computer-boot-after-installing-xp-sp3.aspx

If you google this, I believe you can find a link to the MS patch for AMD SP3 issues.

I thought this was my issue after SP3 installed itself, until I remembered I had Intel... Odd how long it took me to remember that at the time...

For me, my issues were caused by Iolo System Mechanic. I deinstalled the software, and all of my "SP3" issues went away.

Interesting, my Intel Mac with WinXP SP3 has started freezing everything (mouse, keyboard, data transfers) with an alarming regularity. And I have System Meachanic v8 installed...I'll try uninstall. Thanks for the tip.
    neiby
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 765
    RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/11 10:13:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

Get used to blue screens with Sonar 8,

huh?? never had a blue screen with sonar 8. Actually blue screens are hardware or driver issues. Its not a software issue and there for cannot be sonar, since its software.

I've had SONAR 6, 7 and now 8, with the first two on two different machines, and I've never had a blue screen while using SONAR. I've had plenty of other issues, nearly all of which were configuration problems that were my own doing, but I've never had a blue screen.
    Duojet
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1413
    RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/11 10:59:24 (permalink)
    blue screens can also be caused by antivirus and antispyware programs, which use low level drivers.

Intel Core2Duo e8400
    Abit IP35-E
    4GB Ram
    Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit
    EMU 1820m

DFHS2, BFD2, Battery3, Amplitube2, GuitarRig3, Kontakt4, Ampeg SVX, Line6 PodXT
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/11 12:34:01 (permalink)
    I changed my color scheme so that all I get are Red Screens - seems more appropriate.
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/11 12:54:03 (permalink)
    reinstall the c++ distro - that's what failed during the install, i bet that's your cause (windows can have mutliple/parallel versions of the c++ distro, depending on what's distributed with an app)

Agreed.
    I'd do a full un-install (removing all folders/registry entries), then re-install Sonar.
    Stopping the C++ distro was a bad choice. Let the installer finish as expected.

If you still get BSOD, make note of the error message (as CJ mentioned) at the bottom of the screen.
    That'll reveal the culprit...

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/11 13:43:40 (permalink)
    I agree that stopping the C++ may cause problems but I'd be very surprised if it was causing BSOD. A poor C++ installation will just produce runtime errors and would show itself with other programs rather than just Sonar. They are always hardware related. Overheating or bad RAM will also produce them but if it's just within Sonar it'll almost certainly be a driver.

See my earlier post for finding out exactly the what, why and where. A driver corrupting memory is my bet.
    Shadeline
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 75
    RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/13 22:06:52 (permalink)
    I had 1 blue screen triggered while using Windows Media player using my Delta 1010LT sound card, but that is with the update.. I have never been able to use windows media player with Delta 1010LT before.. so I believe your right. It maybe a driver conflict....

Anyone know of a better sound card with less problems like blue screen? I paid around 200 usd for this device.. blue screens driving me nuts.

I will do that this weekend, FastBikerBoy! Thank you very much for info.. maybe they can make and update.. not sure how well M-Audio is with updaing their drivers.. This is my first M-Audio device.

The blue Screen error: 0x0000007F

not much else on the blue screen helped much.. other than it says it could be something to do with memory.

I have tried to uninstall C++ redistributation software, and was unable to do so.. even with Microsoft's uninstall tool that asks me for a file I dont have on my computer. I can not update the C++ file with SP1 either!. So Im starting to this its either C++ or Driver. :( Part of the SP3 updates fail also. This may call for a total windows XP reinstall....?

I hate having to backup and restart over :( Wish I knew what caused the C++ problem in installing / removing. Was hoping this would be easier...

I'll keep you guys & gals updated on progress.. maybe this will help someone else with this problem at a later time.. if I can get this fixed with the Great help and support from everyone here. I thank you all very much for your advice and everything. If you have any information after I have posted this, anything helps :) I most likely not reinstall unless last resort.

Shadeline
    RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/13 23:44:32 (permalink)
    update:

Since I have had problems uninstalling and trying to install Visual C++ redistributable package.. I had to get external help.. an advanced uninstaller program..

I downloaded Revo Uninstaller, and used it's advance mode to delete all the registery keys for Visual C++ redistributable package.. The Revo Uninstaller highlighted Visual JSharp as a registry key I did not remove because I know I have Visual Jsharp working. Then Installed Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable SP1.

Anyways.. So far no problems or blue screen.. also Sonar seems to be working faster and not so sluggish. Maybe it was a driver conflict with the c++ stuff? maybe M-Audio was slowing down Sonar or visa versa? I am unsure. I just did this about 30 minutes ago and I have been using Sonar's Editing stuff like mad.. cause that is when the problems happen .. during large amounts of editing and listening during editing..... AND no problems.. crosses fingers.. I"ll keep you updated. Hopefully this solves the blue screen for now on.

If I see a blue screen, I'll post.. if not.. I'll post in a few days to say this problem is solved.
    Shadeline
    RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/14 08:02:18 (permalink)
    Got another blue screen, even though it seems the C++ reinstall helped slow down on the blue screen effect.. I still recieved a blue screen.. but instead of taking 15 to 30 mins before it shows it's rear.. it took an hour of editing midi notes before it blue screened me.. took longer .. but still there.

I'm going to send the info to M-Audio like FastBikerBoy said to do. I hope M-Audio can come up with something maybe?

What kind of makes me think it isn't M-Audio is the fact that when I was editing midi, I was not playing any sound. Just lengthening the notes, or moving them around in the piano roll out view. Urmm... still a toss up on which is which.. I only started getting these blue screens with Sonar, Project 5 did not have them when using the Delta 1010LT for a long time. Sonar is the first program to create Blue screens.. i have never seen a blue screen on Windows XP before until after I installed Sonar. :(
    Shadeline
    RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/14 08:38:33 (permalink)
    Wow This now says what the fault is!!! Thanks to FastBikerBoy!!

Here is the info for everyone to see:

Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.11.0001.402 X86
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini021409-01.dmp]
    Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

Symbol search path is: SRV*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
    Executable search path is:
    Windows XP Kernel Version 2600 (Service Pack 3) MP (2 procs) Free x86 compatible
    Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS Personal
    Built by: 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236
    Machine Name:
    Kernel base = 0x804d7000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0x8055d720
    Debug session time: Sat Feb 14 07:51:50.812 2009 (GMT-5)
    System Uptime: 0 days 0:50:50.423
    Loading Kernel Symbols
    Loading User Symbols
    Loading unloaded module list
    *******************************************************************************
    * Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 7F, {0, 0, 0, 0}

Unable to load image deltaII.sys, Win32 error 0n2
    *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for deltaII.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for deltaII.sys
    Probably caused by : deltaII.sys ( deltaII+2d7a )

Followup: MachineOwner
    ---------

0: kd> !analyze -v
    * Bugcheck Analysis *

UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (7f)
    This means a trap occurred in kernel mode, and it's a trap of a kind
    that the kernel isn't allowed to have/catch (bound trap) or that
    is always instant death (double fault). The first number in the
    bugcheck params is the number of the trap (8 = double fault, etc)
    Consult an Intel x86 family manual to learn more about what these
    traps are. Here is a *portion* of those codes:
    If kv shows a taskGate
    use .tss on the part before the colon, then kv.
    Else if kv shows a trapframe
    use .trap on that value
    Else
    .trap on the appropriate frame will show where the trap was taken
    (on x86, this will be the ebp that goes with the procedure KiTrap)
    Endif
    kb will then show the corrected stack.
    Arguments:
    Arg1: 00000000, EXCEPTION_DIVIDED_BY_ZERO
    Arg2: 00000000
    Arg3: 00000000
    Arg4: 00000000

Debugging Details:
    ------------------

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x7f_0

TRAP_FRAME: b5b41c54 -- (.trap 0xffffffffb5b41c54)
    ErrCode = 00000000
    eax=00000000 ebx=00000000 ecx=00000000 edx=00000000 esi=8a704ae8 edi=00000000
    eip=8053955b esp=b5b41cc8 ebp=b5b41d04 iopl=0 nv up ei pl zr na pe nc
    cs=0008 ss=0010 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=0030 gs=0000 efl=00010246
    nt!_alldiv+0x4b:
    8053955b f7f1 div eax,ecx
    Resetting default scope

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT

PROCESS_NAME: SONARPDR.exe

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from 805a26e1 to 804f9f1e

STACK_TEXT:
    b5b41bf0 805a26e1 0000007f 8053955b 8a704ae8 nt!KeBugCheck+0x14
    b5b41c48 80542234 b5b41c54 b5b41d04 8053955b nt!Ki386CheckDivideByZeroTrap+0x41
    b5b41c48 8053955b b5b41c54 b5b41d04 8053955b nt!KiTrap00+0x84
    b5b41d04 ba4ddd7a 00000001 8a704ae8 b5b41d30 nt!_alldiv+0x4b
    WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.
    b5b41d14 ba4e8403 8aaf4378 00000001 8a734968 deltaII+0x2d7a
    b5b41d30 805454dc 8a734968 00000010 ffffffff deltaII+0xd403
    b5b41d54 80545489 00000300 00000173 0327f884 nt!KiChainedDispatch2ndLvl+0x44
    b5b41d54 00ae0796 00000300 00000173 0327f884 nt!KiChainedDispatch+0x29
    0327f884 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 0xae0796

STACK_COMMAND: kb

FOLLOWUP_IP:
    deltaII+2d7a
    ba4ddd7a ?? ???

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: 4

SYMBOL_NAME: deltaII+2d7a

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: deltaII

IMAGE_NAME: deltaII.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 47cc1484

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x7f_0_deltaII+2d7a

BUCKET_ID: 0x7f_0_deltaII+2d7a

Followup: MachineOwner
    ---------

bvideo
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1707
    RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/14 09:19:14 (permalink)
    The deltaII is probably the delta driver; it is dividing by 0 in kernel mode. Unless this is a common problem with all M-Audio 1010LTs, it probably means there is something unusual in your config settings for it. Or as a gross overarching problem, there could be something wrong with your ram. You can test ram w/ memtest86.

I don't know what is "usual" or "unusual" in configuring that device, but make sure the sample size and rate look right and match Sonar. Also maybe there is something on the M-Audio forums.

Bill B
    farrarbc
    • Total Posts : 646
    RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/14 09:25:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Shadeline

Unable to load image deltaII.sys, Win32 error 0n2
    *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for deltaII.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for deltaII.sys
    Probably caused by : deltaII.sys ( deltaII+2d7a )

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT
    SYMBOL_NAME: deltaII+2d7a

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: deltaII

IMAGE_NAME: deltaII.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 47cc1484

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x7f_0_deltaII+2d7a

BUCKET_ID: 0x7f_0_deltaII+2d7a

You might try uninstalling your Delta driver and reinstalling with the most recent driver. I'd do a bit of registry clean up after the uninstall and the new driver installation.

--BF
    Sonar X1 Producer Expanded
    Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2
    MoonLight Handgrenade DAW
    Win7 64bit
    Intel i7-980
    Gigabyte G1 Guerilla
    24GB Corsair DDR3 RAM
    (4) 320 GB Seagates
    Shadeline
    RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/14 09:45:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: farrarbc
    You might try uninstalling your Delta driver and reinstalling with the most recent driver. I'd do a bit of registry clean up after the uninstall and the new driver installation.

Good idea.
    Shadeline
    RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/19 21:01:34 (permalink)
    Okay, I uninstalled SP3.

A couple of times I was getting the same problem just before crash.. well this time no crash! SP2 is stable.. and SP3 is unstable! At least for now. What is odd is that I thought that windows XP was the version of windows that is Blue screen proof. Their SP3 proved it wrong! I hope I am right this time, otherwise I'll post again with an update. Its just when its about to crash.. somehow it recovers! So, SP2 I believe is stable! I'll have to get a Intel processer next time instead of AMD!
    farrarbc
    • Total Posts : 646
    RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/19 21:17:47 (permalink)
    Glad SP2 is working but did you try updating your driver before uninstalling SP3? If you have a driver version that predates SP3, this could have been the root of your problem.

--BF
    Sonar X1 Producer Expanded
    Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2
    MoonLight Handgrenade DAW
    Win7 64bit
    Intel i7-980
    Gigabyte G1 Guerilla
    24GB Corsair DDR3 RAM
    (4) 320 GB Seagates
    Shadeline
    RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/19 21:25:19 (permalink)
    actually I spoke too soon.. SP2 blue screen too.. maybe if I roll back my driver to SP2, since I have SP2 now instead of SP3?
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/20 03:24:24 (permalink)
    There's no such thing as a crash proof OS. If you are getting BSOD and you've discovered what is causing it, the next step is to find out what is provoking the crash and then if possible avoiding it. Either that or buy a new interface (assuming it's a driver).

I have an Alesis FW12 and Alesis drivers are notoriously bad (do a search on Alesis - you'll get the idea) but I now have my system very stable through a lot of tweaking, trial & error and a whole bucket load of time and patience. Having said that I can still provoke a BSOD if I really want to . Or at least I can in Sonar 7. I've just got the full version of 8 and despite lots of provocation using the trial I didn't get one BSOD so fingers crossed.

There really is no easy answer, neither is it easy to finger point. All my crashes happen from within Sonar, all are Alesis driver related. Who's fault is it? Sonar is obviously pushing the driver calls etc harder than most other programs are going too. Is it Cakewalk's fault that the driver doesn't respond as expected? Hardly I'd have thought. In my case I think ALesis could really do with sorting their drivers out but of course your case could be completely different.

It can be bought under control. When I first got the ALesis I was getting BSODs about every 30 minutes. Through perserverance I'm now able to record all day long without one. Of course if I start spinning bank changes for z3ta+ from my PCR-800 I can get one fairly quick, or maybe V8 has sorted that - mainly because I can no longer make bank changes

Deep breaths...... count to 10........ 1...............2............
    Shadeline
    RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/20 11:48:01 (permalink)
    what if I dedicate 1 computer to a brand new fresh start windows xp sp2 with all updates, then have that system non-internet. No antivirus / firewall.. no other programs but Windows and Sonar?

I am going to see if I can get my Video card and sound card away from the same IRQ settings also.. I have 3 of them on the same IRQ 16? but windows says there is no conflict and they are status OK. Oh well.. a few options that I plan to try..

I am going to see about the IRQ thing before I start a fresh start, but your right, FastBikerBoy, All my BSOD is from Sonar and my sound card driver! I have never had a BSOD from using Project 5 and sound driver.. so I wonder.. why not Sonar learn from their STABLE Project 5!?

oh well.

FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/20 12:03:41 (permalink)
    Sonar's probably making different demands on your system and soundcard. AFIK the only way of having any control over IRQs in XP is by physically changing slots for PCI cards etc. The days of having any say over IRQs finished with '98.

I'd also be surprised if it made much difference anyway. For example if your soundcard is causing a BSOD because of the way it's overwriting memory addresses or trying to unload memory that's already been unloaded (which are 2 common causes) then I don't see what difference an IRQ change is going to make. I haven't programmed for a long time but when I was, the quickest way to crash an Amiga was poor use of C's memory pointers. I'm guessing it's something similar here although there are bound to be many on here more knowledgeable than me who may know differently.
    gordonrussell76
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1879
    RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/20 12:37:09 (permalink)
    Not entirely true, you can do some moving of IRQ's at the BIOS level, there is usually 1 per physical slot in your machine. Depending on how good the Bios Config options are on your motherboard you may find some leverage there.

G

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1