GTP 4

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
SteveStrummerUK
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31112
RE: GTP 4 2009/06/28 04:09:37 (permalink)

Still a bit of a 'glass half empty' sort of chap aren't you Pedro [sm=rolleyes.gif]

Mind you, your spelling has improved out of all recognition

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Grehn
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 314
RE: GTP 4 2009/06/28 06:34:37 (permalink)
I'm curious about the Loop Explorer...

Is it bloody OFF by default in GTP4? I absolutely HATE that is in ON in SHS7 and you CAN'T shut it off so it stays off! What a major bad idea that was!!

If it is OFF in GTP4, I will buy it for this "feature" alone!!

Cheers,
Curt
cjlinus
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 446
RE: GTP 4 2009/07/01 20:07:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pistolpete

The interface is an extra add-on to the base product. That would be hilarious if it ran off of the realtek AC97 chipset!
I don't think it's supported to run on the new Windows 7, I only see XP and Vista.
As for the 64 simultaneous tracks, I wonder how many it can really play back at once before it brings a PC it it's knees. I would assume it would be in between 8 and 16 tops.

Hey Pete,

Good to see you haven't changed a bit. You might want to check with someone that did the beta test for Win7 but it's supposed to have done away with the compatability issues that Vista has. You can run very old software and hardware with it, no problem.

When I was a kid we had to use Portastudios, uphill! both ways!!

Listen to my songs here
JustGotPaid
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 628
RE: GTP 4 2009/07/02 01:19:06 (permalink)
How welcome this is! And good to see Strummy and Doc chiming in!

For those "administrative eyes" that watch, here's my chain of events in Cakewalk, and how I got here. A few years ago I was "out" of music and saw an old friend who was using GT2. He was just getting into the recording end of things, and I liked GT2 so much I tried to get a copy, but by that time GT3 was out. I had been to Nashville to look at a ProTools system, but the entry level Cakewalk was so good, so simple, and so inexpensive I kept using it and kept putting off ProTools. I got GT3 at Guitar Center in Nasghville, and after ironing out the bugs in the new computer and getting everything compatible and in sync, I was "back in business!" Time went by. I joined here and met two guys, who I consider truly good citizens of the world, not to mention excellent musicians and engineers, Doc and Strummy. In time I added Music Creator 4. Loved it too! Another good citizen of the world helped out in this move, our dear, trusted Beagle! Soon I jumped up to Home Studio 7 XL. Loved it too! And now it looks like I'm adding another in the Guitar Tracks line!

I've been to the best stores in Jackson (MS), Memphis, and Nashville, and talked to the best engineers. I can't find any reason to change from Sonar. Every year it seems to gain more and more on the competition, and now it's up there and above the best. Even with the more basic GT and MC I got into it with a great product for a reasonable price. I hope Cakewalk takes note of this, and continues to provide a good and inexpensive entry level product. That's what got me started, and once I get the new Guitar Tracks 4, that will make four Cakewalk products I will have purchased, and I'm sure I'll be adding more in the future.

Just Got Paid

Sonar Platinum

Grehn
RE: GTP 4 2009/07/02 05:54:08 (permalink)
I'm curious...

If you already have SHS7XL, WHY would you buy GTP4 when it's a slightly stripped down version of what you already have? It's a downgrade! I don't understand why you would want to do that.

Unless SHS7XL has more features than you need and you'll uninstall that when you install GTP4??

Personally, I wish they had kept the UI of GTP3. I'm not a big fan of this new interface (version 7 and later) and as I've mentioned before, the Loop Explorer being "welded" to the mainframe of the application annoys me to no end.
post edited by Grehn - 2009/07/02 05:58:39

Cheers,
Curt
SteveStrummerUK
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31112
RE: GTP 4 2009/07/02 06:17:36 (permalink)

Hi there Curt

You probably know this aready but if not, just hit Alt+1 once HS7 has loaded and that PITA Explorer will disappear.

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

JustGotPaid
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 628
RE: GTP 4 2009/07/02 06:39:34 (permalink)
Grehn, I'm not trying to give you a rude answer, but I want it simply because I want it. I want to see what it does for myself. I'm like you about the Loop Expolorer, except my main pet peeve is this metronone you have to manually turn off every time. Drives me nuts.

DS

Sonar Platinum

Grehn
RE: GTP 4 2009/07/02 20:45:17 (permalink)
I'm actually of the opinion that SHS7XL has too much stuff for my needs (I'm primarily a solo pianist). I always loved the simple portastudio-type of interface that GTP3 had but it didn't support VSTi so I couldn't use it with my piano libraries. Now we finally have GTP4 and they've gone and changed the interface!

Dag nab it!

Cheers,
Curt
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
RE: GTP 4 2009/07/02 22:05:01 (permalink)
On the upside now both SHS and GTP users can use sweet mellotron synths like
http://sites.google.com/site/artifakelabs/
KainThornn
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 149
RE: GTP 4 2009/07/02 22:32:14 (permalink)
I like how the comparison chart doesn't get into SP2 on XP, which was the root of so very much evil from CWGTP3. When Vista and/or Windows 7 starts getting into advanced SP installs I'm willing to bet the functionality goes out the window

http://www.myspace.com/kainthornn
I smell really good!
The "Baconator"- Q6600 Quad Core CPU@2.4Ghz 2Gb PC2-6400 DDRAM 400Gb WD HDD IDT Audio Nvidia GeForce 8600GT 256MbDDRAM **NOW** Featuring Windows 7 beta dual boot!
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
RE: GTP 4 2009/07/02 23:15:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: KainThornn

When Vista and/or Windows 7 starts getting into advanced SP installs I'm willing to bet the functionality goes out the window

There is only one way you will know for sure.
bulls hit
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 822
RE: GTP 4 2009/07/08 04:25:26 (permalink)
Well it's good to see an upgrade, but it's only 4 years late.

It's also pretty expensive for what it is.

For the same money as the upgrade ($139 full retail! are they serious?) you can get Reaper v3 which has Unlimited Audio tracks, unlimited midi tracks, unlimited FX, runs on 64 bit OS if you want, runs on Mac if you want, exploits multicore if you've got them, and outperforms Sonar & Nuendo (Dawbench). The license also qualifies you to unlimited maintenance and a free upgrade to the v4 version.

Call me a cynic, but it looks like marketing lunatics have taken over the asylum
Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 751
RE: GTP 4 2009/07/08 22:55:10 (permalink)
Hey Everyone,

Thought I'd pop in and clarify some things:
the Loop Explorer being "welded" to the mainframe of the application

In SHS7 "un-welding" is a simple click on the Loop Explorer button. This behavior has been improved however in GTP4.

I don't think it's supported to run on the new Windows 7, I only see XP and Vista.

This has been mentioned in regards to other products as well - we can't possibly announce support for an OS until it is finished and released. Once Win7 is out official support will likely follow soon there after. On the flipside, if it works on Vista it should work perfectly fine on Win7.

When Vista and/or Windows 7 starts getting into advanced SP installs I'm willing to bet the functionality goes out the window

Doubtful - Vista SP2 is in RC phase and no problems thus far.

For the same money as the upgrade ($139 full retail! are they serious?) you can get Reaper v3 which has Unlimited Audio tracks, unlimited midi tracks, unlimited FX, runs on 64 bit OS if you want, runs on Mac if you want, exploits multicore if you've got them, and outperforms Sonar & Nuendo (Dawbench). The license also qualifies you to unlimited maintenance and a free upgrade to the v4 version.

I'm not going to get into a x vs y battle but I think there are some inaccuracies in your statements.

1) GTP4 will run on Vista x64. No its not a native x64 application but it runs just fine.
2) GTP4 will exploit all the cores available on your system (where did you get that info from ??)
3) RE: Dawbench . . . that is an incredibly subjective test. I.E. I *think* I heard distortion so I guess it can only handle x number of compressors. It doesn't really provide an accurate comparison of multiple applications (which would be very hard to do). It also lacks control - how do we know that the results are accurate? I read somewhere on the internet that pigs really can fly so does that really mean that . . . but you get the idea.

Again - I don't mean to start a "My DAW is better than your DAW" battle just offering my (humble) thoughts.

Best Regards,

Willy Jones 
Cakewalk
KainThornn
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 149
RE: GTP 4 2009/07/08 23:47:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: scook

ORIGINAL: KainThornn

There is only one way you will know for sure.

When XP went into SP2 GTP3 started functioning very poorly, was told GTP3 was ONLY supported on XP SP1, CW wasn't responsible for any further updates to Windows.

http://www.myspace.com/kainthornn
I smell really good!
The "Baconator"- Q6600 Quad Core CPU@2.4Ghz 2Gb PC2-6400 DDRAM 400Gb WD HDD IDT Audio Nvidia GeForce 8600GT 256MbDDRAM **NOW** Featuring Windows 7 beta dual boot!
Grehn
RE: GTP 4 2009/07/09 06:56:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
In SHS7 "un-welding" is a simple click on the Loop Explorer button. This behavior has been improved however in GTP4.
Yes, a simple click each and every time I start the app!!!
Thanks for identifying my concern but this doesn't really say anything about HOW it has been improved. An improvement would be to keep it off if I have turned it off. I don't understand why this thing MUST appear every time the app is launched unless you are gearing this version toward those users that want to simply toss a few loops together. I am happy that you went to the trouble of placing a toolbar button in the UI for me to press but why not a checkbox in the Global Options dialog that allows me to simply turn it off. I don't use loops; never have and never will so turning this thing off every time is just a nuisance.

My other question has never been answered; what is the major DIFFERENCE between SHS7XL and GTP4. To me it looks like the included software is more geared toward guitar players and a (volume?) slider has been added to the main transport at the top of the window. Is there more?

Cheers,
Curt
Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
RE: GTP 4 2009/07/09 10:09:38 (permalink)
this doesn't really say anything about HOW it has been improved. An improvement would be to keep it off if I have turned it off.

I guess I assumed it was implied in my comment but here is a step by step example:

1) Close the Loop Explorer
2) It stays off

<This applies to Music Creator 5 as well now>

I don't understand why this thing MUST appear every time the app is launched unless you are gearing this version toward those users that want to simply toss a few loops together. I am happy that you went to the trouble of placing a toolbar button in the UI for me to press but why not a checkbox in the Global Options dialog that allows me to simply turn it off. I don't use loops; never have and never will so turning this thing off every time is just a nuisance.

I hear ya', but the majority of users in the SHS7 / GTP4 crowd do use audio and MIDI loops . . .and they use em' a lot. This wasn't something we just arbitrarily threw together, its a work flow enhancement that specifically addresses how a majority of users of this product work. The side-effect we learned is that a lot more SONAR users than we realized opt for SHS7/GTP4 due to its price point - thus we improved the behavior for GTP4.

My other question has never been answered; what is the major DIFFERENCE between SHS7XL and GTP4. To me it looks like the included software is more geared toward guitar players

In a nutshell - yes GTP4 is geared more towards Guitar Players. Feature by Feature:

Audio Tracks
GTP4: 32
SHS7XL: 64

MIDI Tracks
GTP4: 64
SHS7XL: Unlimited

Audio FX Inserts per project
GTP4: 24

Max Sample Rate
GTP4: 96 kHz
SHS7XL: 192 kHz

Included Instruments
GTP4 (4):
  • Studio Instruments - Drums
  • Studio Instruments - Electric Piano
  • Studio Instruments - Bass
  • Studio Instruments - Strings

SHS7XL (8) All of the above PLUS:
  • Dimension LE
  • DropZone
  • TTS-1
  • Square I

Audio Effects
GTP4: 12 in total including Guitar Rig 3 LE

SHS7XL: 14 in total, Studio Devil VGA+ but no Guitar Rig 3 LE

Navigator View

GTP4 has it (a la GTP3)

SHS7XL does not

Included Content

GTP4:
  • 1062 Audio Loops
  • 666 MIDI Groove Clips
  • Content from Groove Monkee, Sonic Reality and Smart Loops geared towards quickly creating backing tracks for Guitar Players. (Mostly drum and bass parts)

SHS7XL:
  • 1024 Audio Loops
  • 1027 MIDI Groove Clips
  • Content from X-Mix, Smart Loops, and PowerFX aimed at a wider audience of musical tastes/styles/needs. (Loops include more melodic content)

a (volume?) slider has been added to the main transport at the top of the window. Is there more?

Yes in addition to a master volume control being added and the Loop Explorer persistence mentioned above a couple of other changes were made.
  • ACT Lock button was replaced with Metronome toggle in the Control Bar (right-clicking on this button will bring up the metronome options/settings)
  • "Set Loop Points to Selection" - lets say you want to quickly loop a section, make the selection in the time line and then right-clicking on the loop enable/disable button will set the loop points to your selection.

Hopefully that clarifies for you.

Best,
post edited by Willy Jones [Cakewalk] - 2009/07/09 10:15:29

Willy Jones 
Cakewalk
Grehn
RE: GTP 4 2009/07/09 19:28:24 (permalink)
Willy, I could kiss ya! That answers everything and more! Thank you very much!!

Cheers,
Curt
bulls hit
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 822
RE: GTP 4 2009/07/10 04:29:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Willy Jones [Cakewalk]

In a nutshell - yes GTP4 is geared more towards Guitar Players. Feature by Feature:

Audio Tracks
GTP4: 32

MIDI Tracks
GTP4: 64
SHS7XL: Unlimited

Audio FX Inserts per project
GTP4: 24

Max Sample Rate
GTP4: 96 kHz
SHS7XL: 192 kHz

Included Instruments
GTP4 (4):
  • Studio Instruments - Drums
  • Studio Instruments - Electric Piano
  • Studio Instruments - Bass
  • Studio Instruments - Strings

SHS7XL (8) All of the above PLUS:
  • Dimension LE
  • DropZone
  • TTS-1
  • Square I

Audio Effects
GTP4: 12 in total including Guitar Rig 3 LE

SHS7XL: 14 in total, Studio Devil VGA+ but no Guitar Rig 3 LE

Navigator View

GTP4 has it (a la GTP3)

SHS7XL does not

Included Content

GTP4:
  • 1062 Audio Loops
  • 666 MIDI Groove Clips
  • Content from Groove Monkee, Sonic Reality and Smart Loops geared towards quickly creating backing tracks for Guitar Players. (Mostly drum and bass parts)

SHS7XL:
  • 1024 Audio Loops
  • 1027 MIDI Groove Clips
  • Content from X-Mix, Smart Loops, and PowerFX aimed at a wider audience of musical tastes/styles/needs. (Loops include more melodic content)

Best,

So apart from Navigator view (wow!) why would anyone voluntarily cripple their options buying GT4 instead of HS7, for the same money?

With GT4 you've essentially got < 1/2 the features/functionality of HS7.

Who dreams up these products?
Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
RE: GTP 4 2009/07/10 11:44:31 (permalink)
So apart from Navigator view (wow!) why would anyone voluntarily cripple their options buying GT4 instead of HS7, for the same money?

The above comparison is Home Studio 7 XL not the regular version:

SHS7 XL: $209
SHS7: $139
GTP4: $139

<disclaimer: above is current USD pricing from our e-store, subject to change>

With GT4 you've essentially got < 1/2 the features/functionality of HS7.

Not so much - GTP4 includes the full Studio Instruments suite and a different content set then SHS7.

Who dreams up these products?

Guitar players that work at Cakewalk

Willy Jones 
Cakewalk
H
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: GTP 4 2009/07/14 07:02:06 (permalink)
Hi,

I'm new here - please be gentle with me ;)

I've looked through the threads and no-one seems to have asked the following question:

Does the "Guitar Tracks Pro 4 Multi-Lingual" version support the USB UA-1G interface? I use GTP3 and I can't, it appears, upgrade directly from that to GTP4 USB edition.

Thanks,

H
pistolpete
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1584
RE: GTP 4 2009/07/14 15:35:35 (permalink)
Multi-lingual? I reckon it id be a lot simpler if y'all would just learn and use American English.
Doc_Hollingsworth
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2289
RE: GTP 4 2009/07/15 10:46:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: H

Hi,

I'm new here - please be gentle with me ;)

I've looked through the threads and no-one seems to have asked the following question:

Does the "Guitar Tracks Pro 4 Multi-Lingual" version support the USB UA-1G interface? I use GTP3 and I can't, it appears, upgrade directly from that to GTP4 USB edition.

Thanks,

H

Hello H,

The answer is yes it does.

Doc
MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

H
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: GTP 4 2009/07/15 10:53:32 (permalink)
Once again Doc, you are a gent :)
Doc_Hollingsworth
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2289
RE: GTP 4 2009/07/15 10:56:47 (permalink)
Why thank you H. I'm glad to help, mate.

Doc
MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1