Universal 120 for Rapture Released!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
chad
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 468
Re: RE: Universal 120 for Rapture Released! 2009/09/10 17:20:54 (permalink)
Melvin J.

ducatibruce2

- Step-by-step examples of how to build new programs from the included 'Construction Kit' content. A-Z.

This gets my vote too!

Not sure how I missed this post - new forum doesnt always send email notifications, grrr

Step by step examples from you B Rock are always good. That's my vote too!

Hey guys thanks for the nudge in the right direction.  =)  Brock and I have been talking over how we want to do a video tutorial for this.  If you've seen the video that Cakewalk (Brandon) has done for Rapture before, it's great.  Using dual video angles, with a camera on the keyboard and simultaneous screen capturing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6_PbH_63z4

So we've got some big shoes to fill.  This is something we'd like to do in the future, but maybe a series of straight screen captures would suffice in the meantime. 

dmbaer

b rock said:
I don't disagree with the discussion of the LFO limitations here. The writing was on the wall for that problem ever since Rapture was released.
I've reread this thread several times trying to figure out what these limitations that are repeatedly mentioned are.  It's like many involved here were parties to another thread where this was discussed in detail but which I haven't read.  Can anyonesummarize what this limitation is?

Edit: or better yet, point me to an earlier thread that discusses this issue.

There isn't any limitation if you don't have any other user defined LFOs currently used within Rapture's "Lfowaveforms" folder.  The issue they are talking about above is when you have multiple expansion packs that include custom LFOs, usually the last expansion pack to get installed will roll over the existing custom LFO directory because of the way it is setup (custome LFOs have to have the same name, for instance "LfoWaveform020.wav".)

Here is a thread where you can find out more:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1490635

Check out the solution I offered in that thread, that is how I manage my Rapture Expansions that utilize custom LFOs:

In the case of running out of LFOs I usually tend append the name of the expansion pack or sample set at the end of the folder name, so my Rapture content folder looks something like:

Lfo Waveforms
Lfo Waveforms_MyCustomLFOs
Lfo Waveforms_brockwaveforms
Lfo Waveforms_Galbanum

Then rename the the folder I want to "Lfo Waveforms" when I want to use specific presets that reference those LFOs.

I tend to bake in my custom LFO shapes to the STEPGEN section whenever possible using the "Copy Shape from LFO" feature in 1.1. 

All in all, the custom LFOs used in the Universal 120 expansion are a small part of the story.  The real meat and potatoes are the Programs, StepGen presets, and Envelope presets that you can apply to Rapture's modulators; Filters, Pitch, Amp, ect.

b rock
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8717
Re: RE: Universal 120 for Rapture Released! 2009/09/10 18:00:07 (permalink)
Can anyone summarize what this limitation is?
I'll do my best.  The discussions span many, many threads - both related and unrelated.  Let's start with the LFO layout itself.  Each 'slot' is referenced with a number between 00 and 101.  It will become clearer later on as to why this is so important.

00-19 are mathematical algorithms.  They're internally generated, and can't be replaced or modified.
20-99 are user-defined LFOs.  You can replace them with any .wav file (with some limitations).
100 & 101 are also algorithms - set to produce random values in one or two directions.

When Rapture 1.0 shipped, it came with a couple of user-defined LFOs to get started with.  80 open 'slots' for custom LFOs didn't seem like much of a limitation.  But then third-party developers started taking advantage of this powerful feature.  I built a half-dozen complete LFO sets as freebies for experimentation.  Anderton's Expansion Packs utilized four or five in each set.  Galbanum's XP's have some highly-detailed LFOs that use up all 80 'slots'.

In the Universal 120 Expansion Pack, I fashioned each UD-LFO to act as an additional step sequencer.  Point them at Pitch [@ 1200 cents], and they're programmed to produce accurate scales, trills, and scalar sequences with glide.  You can invert the scales with a single line in the Modulation Matrix.

As you might imagine, an end user with more than one Expansion Pack or custom LFOs is going to see a conflict.  When you save a .prog file, the stored parameter doesn't reference the actual LFO itself.  It refers to the numbered slot: 20-99The entire set of 80 LFOs is loaded upon launching an instance of Rapture.  These LFOs must have the exact same naming convention (in every Expansion Pack or custom LFO config): LfoWaveform020.wav ... LfoWaveform099.wav.

If you install a new XP, it will load up it's own set of UD-LFOs.  Then, when you load a program that uses any UD-LFO in its programming, it will load whatever LFO numbered slot that's referenced.  That may or may not be the one that the sound designer had in mind.  IOW: if you installed U-120 last, and go to use a Galbanum preset, the Galbanum preset will sound completely different.  The Universal 120 presets will play back as intended.

One rough 'solution' is to back up all of your UD-LFO sets in subfolders, and fly them in to the Lfo Waveforms folder manually before launching Rapture.  But you need to know where you're going first.  Galbanum took a step in the right direction by automatically backing up any existing UD-LFOs during the installation process.

But there are better solutions that can be implemented.  Hope I haven't confused the issue any further here.
Nick P
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3112
Re:Universal 120 for Rapture Released! 2009/09/11 07:27:58 (permalink)
I'm pretty close to going for this set. But I would like to hear some individual patches. Just hit a middle "C" and let the movement agents do their thing. I just tried a few of the factory patches in the sequence category. They really do add movement and groove to a track. If nothing else, this set would be like a masters course in programming rapture, assuming you were to de-construct the patches. Maybe the programmers could offer some tutorials in how some of these patches were built. I'd pay for that.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
Nick P
Re:Universal 120 for Rapture Released! 2009/09/14 09:00:35 (permalink)
Nick P

I'm pretty close to going for this set. But I would like to hear some individual patches. Just hit a middle "C" and let the movement agents do their thing. I just tried a few of the factory patches in the sequence category. They really do add movement and groove to a track. If nothing else, this set would be like a masters course in programming rapture, assuming you were to de-construct the patches. Maybe the programmers could offer some tutorials in how some of these patches were built. I'd pay for that.

Guess that's not gonna happen.

chad
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 468
Re:Universal 120 for Rapture Released! 2009/09/14 10:46:52 (permalink)
Nick P

Hey Nick.  Thanks for your interest.  My studio is currently in storage while I am moving.  So once I get everything back up and running I'll be finishing up some videos and adding some more individual patch audio demos. Soon. 

Cheers,
Chad
Nick P
Re:Universal 120 for Rapture Released! 2009/09/15 01:32:26 (permalink)
Okay, thanks Chad. I'll look for those.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1