Analog and digital recordings...... making them sound better..... (From Gearslutz....)

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Jose7822
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10031
Re:Analog and digital recordings...... making them sound better..... (From Gearslutz....) 2009/10/12 15:19:38 (permalink)
OK Mike,

Intersample Peaks = invisible overs. 

If you take the image you posted above (Post #55) and you draw straight lines from one sample to another (connecting the dots if you will), you would get the picture of a waveform as seeing inside your DAW.  Notice that it doesn't go over 0dBFS, which is why it would show up as a legal signal in Sonar (or any DAW for that matter).   But the REAL waveform is shown as going over 0dBFS, which is what happens after it passes through the A/D process.  How long is it?  It is the distance between two samples.  It's all there in the picture you posted.  You just needed to take a closer look.

Does that help?

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
ATI Radeon HD 3650
Windows 7 Professional (SP1) x64
Cubase 6.03 x64
Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
RME FireFace 400
Frontier Design Alpha Track
Studio Logic VMK-188 Plus

http://www.youtube.com/user/SonarHD
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:Analog and digital recordings...... making them sound better..... (From Gearslutz....) 2009/10/12 15:19:48 (permalink)
"Lastly, Intersample Peaks are only an issue during Tracking and Mastering."

Intersample peaks are primarily an issue when the D to A is reconstructing the analogous waveform which will be seen in real life as a voltage swing.

"There's also no need for a Limiter to have Intersample Peaks.  On the contrary, Limiters like Ozone have built-in features to prevent them."

Right ON!!! I've been saying this all along... but SSL's white papers suggest that their 1990's mixing boards and some poorly written limiting plugins are where you WILL find intersample peaks.

"All that's needed is a hot enough signal, that's it.  This signal won't show as an over unless you have something like the SSL meter to tell ya.  The DAW meters won't show you Intersample Peaks because it uses a limited amount of samples to represent a waveform.  The complete waveform is only heard, not seen which is what makes Intersample Peaks dangerous."

That's just ridiculous. Listen to yourself! Draw your picture. You will see that you can not have a hot enough signal throw a peak without it being reported as an OVER on the very next sample unless it is of VERY HIGH frequency.

For the record, I never mentioned Anti Aliasing filters. I think I did use the word alias in one instance above. If you wish to parse words... you'll simply put off learning the perspective I have attempted to share with you.

Jose, I'm done...  I can't believe I'm saying this but you are not keeping up. It's like you've got your head in a book and you will not even think about what is available to consider.

It seems like I read the article and have asked the obvious questions and you read it and wrote a simplistic book report.

In all honesty, the repeated suggestions that I read something that you seemingly appreciate and honor but are not willing to discuss your understanding of makes me think someone else has got your login info today.

all the best,
mike

post edited by mike_mccue - 2009/10/12 15:26:28

Jose7822
Re:Analog and digital recordings...... making them sound better..... (From Gearslutz....) 2009/10/12 15:28:03 (permalink)
mike_mccue

In all honesty, the repeated suggestions that I read something (which I did) that you seemingly appreciate and honor but are not willing to discuss your understanding of makes me think someone else has got your login info today.

all the best,
mike

LOL, but what do you want me to do?  I am discussing the subject with you, and trying to explain my point as much as I can.  I just don't feel like posting pictures, that's all.  When you said this:

"I didn't know there were 'illegal" frequencies and always assumed everything between 22.5 and 44.1 was just described somewhat inaccurately but still existed as ripple.

So if "This filter removes all content above the Nyquist frequency (half the sample rate). " it can't be mysterious digital harshness."

You were obviously talking about the Anti-aliasing filter.  At least that's what they were talking about in that part of the article.

Now, how am I not keeping up?  You type faster, I'll give you that :-)

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
ATI Radeon HD 3650
Cubase 6.03 x64
Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
RME FireFace 400

brundlefly
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re:Analog and digital recordings...... making them sound better..... (From Gearslutz....) 2009/10/12 16:25:19 (permalink)
The complete waveform is only heard, not seen which is what makes Intersample Peaks dangerous. 

This may already have been mentioned, but unless things have changed since the CoolEdit days, Adobe Audition shows the interpolated analog waveform (although I can't vouch for the algorithm they use to calculate it). So you can see intersample peaks in this and probably other wave editors - just not in SONAR.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
The Maillard Reaction
Re:Analog and digital recordings...... making them sound better..... (From Gearslutz....) 2009/10/12 16:31:53 (permalink)
Yes, it does. And I just finished an illustration that I find interesting:

Its a 17 second animation.

The Maillard Reaction
Re:Analog and digital recordings...... making them sound better..... (From Gearslutz....) 2009/10/12 16:39:58 (permalink)
"You were obviously talking about the Anti-aliasing filter.  At least that's what they were talking about in that part of the article."

Well. I'll tell you the truth... I don't know enough about digital audio to know what and anti aliasing filter is. But I do know sine waves and a small bit about fourier :-) I've read and forgotten about anti aliasing filters a few times... I guess I never really learned it. I'm real glad digital works... that lets me think over in analog land. :-)

"how am I not keeping up?"

I get the impression you haven't gotten to the point where you scratch your chin and say "hmmm how dose a peak fit between a sample and not show as an over on the adjacent samples." when you get there a whole bunch of questions will appear.

best,
mike

Jose7822
Re:Analog and digital recordings...... making them sound better..... (From Gearslutz....) 2009/10/12 16:40:51 (permalink)
Well, there you go.

I just know that DAWs don't show this kind of info.

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
ATI Radeon HD 3650
Cubase 6.03 x64
Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
RME FireFace 400

Jose7822
Re:Analog and digital recordings...... making them sound better..... (From Gearslutz....) 2009/10/12 16:47:41 (permalink)
mike_mccue

I get the impression you haven't gotten to the point where you scratch your chin and say "hmmm how dose a peak fit between a sample and not show as an over on the adjacent samples." when you get there a whole bunch of questions will appear.

best,
mike
I thought I had already proven that I've gone past that point Mike. 

I guess I'm just bad at explaining this.  But, it becomes much easier once you understand digital sampling, I'll tell ya that.

My bad :-(

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
ATI Radeon HD 3650
Cubase 6.03 x64
Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
RME FireFace 400

The Maillard Reaction
Re:Analog and digital recordings...... making them sound better..... (From Gearslutz....) 2009/10/12 17:02:25 (permalink)
"I just know that DAWs don't show this kind of info."

What the heck does that mean?

Are you suggesting that the processing is not sample accurate?

Are you suggesting that the peak meters in a DAW do not account for each sample?

Are you suggesting that the track peak flag markets in SONAR are somehow skipping samples?

I can't imagine another way for an over to go unreported if it lasts longer than a single sample.

You are acting like a wave form goes up above 0dBFS and proceeds unnoticed with, what did you say, "invisible" overs until it naturally descends along the curve. How does that happen, exactly, with out the DAW telling you its in OVER?

Now that we see that anything above 11025 is poorly interpolated at 44.1kHz it seems even less likely that one will ever encounter an intersample peak.

It's been a while for me. have you ever read the SSL papers about intersample peaks? I recall that they were far more detailed than those you linked too but still left me with the very questions I'm asking of you.

And I do know a bit about anti aliasing but not enough to act like I know what either of us are talking about.

The Maillard Reaction
Re:Analog and digital recordings...... making them sound better..... (From Gearslutz....) 2009/10/12 17:11:55 (permalink)
Jose7822

mike_mccue

best,
mike
I thought I had already proven that I've gone past that point Mike. 

I guess I'm just bad at explaining this.  But, it becomes much easier once you understand digital sampling, I'll tell ya that.

My bad :-(

In all sincerity and in an effort to keep it friendly... you have never stated once what contention you have with my notion that an intersample peak can by definition only last one sample.

You have not even begun to point out where a sample can be reported as legal yet be an intersample peak without the next sample point on the waveform being read as an OVER.

You haven't suggested in any way how that premise may need correction or be the result of misunderstanding.

You haven't spoken to my idea that only a high frequency waveform can sneak a peak in and out of a sample without reporting an over in an adjacent sample.

I'm trying to allow you every opportunity to correct me but you keep saying that you are beyond thinking about it.

That perplexes me.... maybe I am just a dumb mule. :-)

best,
mike

post edited by mike_mccue - 2009/10/12 17:16:39

Jose7822
Re:Analog and digital recordings...... making them sound better..... (From Gearslutz....) 2009/10/12 17:25:23 (permalink)
mike_mccue

And I do know a bit about anti aliasing but not enough to act like I know what either of us are talking about.
Then I think this is where you should start, no offense Mike. 

If neather of those papers (the one from SSL and the one I linked) made sense to you, then nothing I say will.  The questions you ask imply very clearly that you need to understand how digital audio is captured first.  Once you do that, then everything else will become much clearer.  It might just be poor choice of words on my part.  That's also very possible.  But I'll leave you with these:

• Yes, Intersample Peaks are invisible to the regular digital meters found in DAWs.  That's why SSL and other plugin companies have specialized meters to detect them.
  • Intersample Peaks, as the name implies, happen in-between samples.  Because of this they are not reported as overs even when the samples appear to be well below 0dBFS.
  • A waveform is only fully reconstructed in the analog world.

HTH

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
ATI Radeon HD 3650
Cubase 6.03 x64
Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
RME FireFace 400

The Maillard Reaction
Re:Analog and digital recordings...... making them sound better..... (From Gearslutz....) 2009/10/12 17:41:01 (permalink)
"If you take the image you posted above (Post #55) and you draw straight lines from one sample to another (connecting the dots if you will), you would get the picture of a waveform as seeing inside your DAW.  Notice that it doesn't go over 0dBFS, which is why it would show up as a legal signal in Sonar (or any DAW for that matter).   But the REAL waveform is shown as going over 0dBFS, which is what happens after it passes through the A/D process.  How long is it?  It is the distance between two samples.  It's all there in the picture you posted.  You just needed to take a closer look."

I posted that image in message #55 to show how it was illustrating a high frequency ripple.

For example the nifty ripple on the waveform that forms the intersample peak on the illustration FROM THE LINK YOU PROVIDED shows a peak that goes up and comes down within the span of one (or perhaps two) samples. Therefore it is suggesting that the waveform is being interpolated at a frequency of something above 22kHZ which as I have shown in the animated .gif from Adobe Audition is not possible to interpolate clearly without further strategies. That nifty ripple shown in the illustration you are referencing is the figment of an artists imagination.

Will you take a look at the illustration I posted in #45+/-?

I prepared my drawing with relative scaling and with the intention of finding out under what circumstance an unnoticed intersample peak might occur.

Can we discuss improving my illustration? :-)

The Maillard Reaction
Re:Analog and digital recordings...... making them sound better..... (From Gearslutz....) 2009/10/12 17:51:31 (permalink)
"Intersample Peaks, as the name implies, happen in-between samples.  Because of this they are not reported as overs even when the samples appear to be well below 0dBFS."

So are you talking about oversampling? What happens when you get to the next discrete sample? It's either over or no right? wrong? Let's talk about that.

How does something that occurs in between samples last longer than a sample?

"A waveform is only fully reconstructed in the analog world.
"

I think transfer functions occur in many domains.

best,
mike

brundlefly
Re:Analog and digital recordings...... making them sound better..... (From Gearslutz....) 2009/10/12 18:33:23 (permalink)
I've read and forgotten about anti aliasing filters a few times... I guess I never really learned it. I'm real glad digital works... that lets me think over in analog land. :-)

Well, we've got about a billion topics going here now, but this one's easy:

If your Nyquist frequency is 22050, a frequency 1Hz above that samples just like a frequency 1Hz below. Likewise, a frequency of 22050 + 10000 = 32050 samples just like 22050 - 10000 = 12050. So 32,050Hz is an "alias" for 12,050Hz. Anti-aliasing filters just roll off everything above the Nyquist frequency so alias frequencies will not be misinterpreted by the A/D converter as being their counterparts an equal distance below Nyquist.

Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
Jose7822
Re:Analog and digital recordings...... making them sound better..... (From Gearslutz....) 2009/10/12 19:37:42 (permalink)

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
ATI Radeon HD 3650
Cubase 6.03 x64
Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
RME FireFace 400

batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re:Analog and digital recordings...... making them sound better..... (From Gearslutz....) 2009/10/12 19:45:06 (permalink)
all i know, is that i like it crunchy.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

The Maillard Reaction
Re:Analog and digital recordings...... making them sound better..... (From Gearslutz....) 2009/10/12 20:55:57 (permalink)
Jose7822

Does this help?

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/185883-inter-sample-peaks.html

From that page:

It's another case of artistic license. This lower track is an illustration of a 22kHz (or higher if the sample rate of the project shown is higher than 44.1kHz) tone. One should share that fact with the reader before asking people to believe they will hear any of it:

Here's a 1/4 rate reconstruction described as "around 11025".

In this case you can see the intersample peaks are not overs. But if you did bump up the level to force a intersample peak to occur (for testing of course) some of the intersample peaks will only peak above 0dBFS within a sample and some will read an over on an adjacent sample. What else happens with those adjacent samples?

Don't you see that everyone is side stepping this issue and cleverly producing images that avoid revealing how obvious this question is?

Imagine if you will, that as the frequency get's lower it's more and more likely that you will get an over reported along with any intersample peaks that are not detected.

This image comes with the caveat: "Noisy square looking signals are often ripe with intersample peaks. I tried feeding a digital signal to the chain to look what peak levels occured. The result was this: ... Musical signals are never this bad,"

Why can't he show us a sample of music. My premise is that it's because MOST OF THE TIME when the "reconstructed meter" is banging red SO IS THE PEAK METER.

BTW why is the RMS reported as above the Peak in that image? It must something about the non-musicality of that "digital signal" He is using for the test?

That ain't music.

Here is SSL's illustration of a "High Frequency Sine wave" they do not bother showing it as an over but suggest the same shape could be. What they do not point out is that the particular example will result in either a one sample length over cased by an intersample peak OR  a intersample peak with an adjacent sample that should read as over. They don't point out that the over will last about 1/44,100th of a second.

They totally side step that issue by showing you a generic illustration of a sine wave.

So I have to say, this hasn't clarified anything for me.

And I'm not as dumb as you are treating me. :-)

Thanks for the link.

best regards,
mike

post edited by mike_mccue - 2009/10/12 21:26:24

The Maillard Reaction
Re:Analog and digital recordings...... making them sound better..... (From Gearslutz....) 2009/10/12 21:27:49 (permalink)
Does anyone know of a peer reviewed published paper discussing intersample peaks. Perhaps there is something in the AES library?

thanks,
mike

edit to add: here's a good one: http://www.tcelectronic.c...lund_2000_0dbfs_le.pdf

and this quote from another good article "In the digital domain the peak level may deviate from the peak level in the analog domain.
While this is true in general, it is only significant at high frequencies."
:  

http://www.tcelectronic.c...lund_1999_level_co.pdf
post edited by mike_mccue - 2009/10/12 22:00:49

brundlefly
Re:Analog and digital recordings...... making them sound better..... (From Gearslutz....) 2009/10/13 01:15:29 (permalink)
Does this help? http://www.gearslutz.com/...nter-sample-peaks.html

Second paragraph of the first response: "So those transients that exhibit intersample peaks will sound squared off (with lots of distortion) compared to peaks that stay under, say, -0.3dbFS."
This is what I'm saying. If you exercise any restraint at all with peak levels of your master, you don't have to worry about intersample peaks. The term itself makes them sound more extreme than they are. Inter-sample bulges is more like it. 

Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
Re:Analog and digital recordings...... making them sound better..... (From Gearslutz....) 2009/10/13 02:05:35 (permalink)
Thanks Mike and Brundlefly: I fancy that I'm understanding aliasing a bit better.

Besides hitting the trim control fanatically on each track.

I've recently found it easy to hit: Ctrl+A to select all visible clips and volume envelopes

... to pull them down quickly (one track at a time) to fix summation distortions of groups ... and tweak portions back-up where it 'sounds' and appears generously unclipped.

Experimentally pulling down non-essential fundy and harmonic frequencies (complimentary EQing) is another sweet pearl for me to tighten grooves and melodies.

... rather than my b'ass - ackward buss compressions and masterings.

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
The Maillard Reaction
Re:Analog and digital recordings...... making them sound better..... (From Gearslutz....) 2009/10/13 08:13:38 (permalink)
brundlefly

Does this help? http://www.gearslutz.com/...nter-sample-peaks.html

Second paragraph of the first response: "So those transients that exhibit intersample peaks will sound squared off (with lots of distortion) compared to peaks that stay under, say, -0.3dbFS."
This is what I'm saying. If you exercise any restraint at all with peak levels of your master, you don't have to worry about intersample peaks. The term itself makes them sound more extreme than they are. Inter-sample bulges is more like it. 

Yes, but that quote is from Peeder, whom everyone over at Gear Slutz knows is Jose's alter ego.  :-)  

Peeder is a lot more like me... he's always looking through the smoke to see if it's worth driving to the other side.

It doesn't surprise me that Mr Peeder and I were in agreement. We usually are.

At this point I feel like I did learn a few things yesterday... there's is even less chance of an unnoticed intersample peak passing through than I had previously thought.

That's my premise; There are very few circumstances where an intersample peak is not accompanied by an over and a ugly sound caused by the over. There are very few times that an intersample peak goes unnoticed.

A corrallary to my thesis is that EVERY diagram I have seen published uses a super sonic frequency to illustrate their point and make the issue seem compelling. My diagram is the only example I know of that illustrates the more likely circumstance that the source content has a lower frequency (something in an audible range) and that the intersample peak will be accompanied with a nasty hard limit or over.

I'm not trying to brag about "my diagram" but it certainly illustrates the concept "to draw is to see"... that drawing is the result of my desire to think thru the question "how do you illustrate a intersample peak on an audible tone and keep the adjacent samples from reporting an over?"

I hope it's clear by my repeated explanations... all the other charts side step the issue. They are illustrating supersonic frequencies. I guess very few people notice that fact. :-(    I find that disappointing.... a picture tells a thousand words or something like that?

I had previously thought the window for opurtunity was between upper mids like 8kHz thru 44.1kHz. Now I realize that there is nothing above 22049kHz in the stream... so the most likely frequencies to cause an unnoticed intersample peak are not even a factor.

An unnoticed intersample peak might occur between 8+/-KhZ (I'm still trying to think thru the lower limit... maybe it's fs/8?) and 22,049kHZ with a bias leaning towards the upper frequencies.

I refute Jose's assertion that anti aliasing has nothing to do with intersample peaks.

Anti aliasing eliminates the most likely source of intersample peaks.

I have been very confused by Jose's forum tai chi moves whereby he keeps deflecting my comments and questions to stuff written by other people... stuff that I read and then think... "Did Jose actually read this stuff?"

hmmm... I wonder If Jose ever bothered reading anything I wrote or ASKED?

Jose never responded to a single question with a direct response and kept referring me to those articles that I feel lack detail. When I was honest that I didn't have anti aliasing at the top of my mind Jose could have used his knowledge of the idea to help me understand that clearly the most likely frequencies to cause an intersample peak are not present. Instead of engaging the actual question he choose to suggest I learn more about anti aliasing. Well, I did and I'm back. :-)

We could have both agreed that the likely hood of encountering an intersample peak was from a narrow window of frequencies. 

When I explained that the white papers I have read suggest that a practical source of a unnoticed intersample peak is the first sample after a hard limit function begins... Jose assured me that this is not an issue that occurs with well written plugins. So it seems as if once again we can agree that the likely hood of encountering an unnoticed intersample peak is from a ever narrowing range of circumstances.

I finally found some real articles published by AES and they clearly state how rare and unlikely it is one will have an unnoticed intersample peak.

This link:

http://www.tcelectronic.c...lund_1999_level_co.pdf

Elaborates on the idea that this is a high frequency phenomena, provides specific examples with scale drawings, and discusses the very ideas that I have been trying to clarify.

for the record... here's my premise:

Intersample peaks are very unlikely to occur on musical content without being reported as an over or being accompanied by a legal and audible hard limit. If they do occur unnoticed it is most likely to happen at a supersonic frequency so you have to decide for yourself if it is something you or your listeners can hear.

If this worries you, simply use the SSL meter to confirm that what I say is correct.

Now, I think I will go back to reading the Divine Comedy... it's not higher math... but it keeps the mind sharp.

best regards,
mike

Jose, You know I think of you as great person, and you have been a great teacher to me on many occasions. We've discussed intersample peaks in groups many times... but never directly in debate. I apologize for putting you on the spot but you had every opportunity to answer my questions, tell me where I'm wrong, correct my misunderstandings, and spin this discussion to a consensus of understanding... even if we disagree on what is and isn't audible.

The idea that this phenomena only occurs in a very small set of circumstances should be discussed or debated in a way that results in a realistic assessment of the circumstances.

I'm mildly disappointed that you refused to help in that regard. It seems as if maintaining a level of misunderstanding in the discussion allowed you the advantage of presenting the idea of an intersample peak as being more common and problematic than it is.

I extend all my best to you, my friend.

The Maillard Reaction
Re:Analog and digital recordings...... making them sound better..... (From Gearslutz....) 2009/10/13 08:49:37 (permalink)
Here's another illustration to emphasize the point:

Obviously this illustration is of a tone. A single transient pulse can sneak in... but you'll will see the spike on the waveform and that will give you an opportunity to zoom in and investigate. If the content is continuous... it's likely that you will see the overs reported as the illustration above suggests.

Either way 8kHZ at or near 0dBFS ought to get your attention upon playback and suggest that a detailed observation is required to make sure everything sounds its best.

It's easy to show an intersample peak sneaking thru unnoticed on a super sonic frequency like 22kHZ... it is a lot more difficult to show that a intersample peak will go unnoticed in the audible range of  frequencies. I think this illustration explains why that statement is correct.

I am starting to think fs/8 ( 5,512.5Hz at 44.1kHZfs  ) is the lower limit where something could possibly sneak thru unreported. Below that frequency there will always be on adjacent sample at 0dBFS or "over" when an intersample peak goes over.

best,
mike
post edited by mike_mccue - 2009/10/13 08:59:30

The Maillard Reaction
Re:Analog and digital recordings...... making them sound better..... (From Gearslutz....) 2009/10/13 08:57:59 (permalink)
crazy forum... mistaken double post.
post edited by mike_mccue - 2009/10/13 09:03:31

Jose7822
Re:Analog and digital recordings...... making them sound better..... (From Gearslutz....) 2009/10/13 10:17:41 (permalink)
mike_mccue

I have been very confused by Jose's forum tai chi moves whereby he keeps deflecting my comments and questions to stuff written by other people... stuff that I read and then think... "Did Jose actually read this stuff?"

Hehe!  You like my tai chi moves? :-P (<= I know you like this) 

Seriously though.  Maybe I do not understand Intersample Peaks as much as I thought I did.  But when I think about them, I'm usually picturing percussive transients and not sine/square wave tones as ususally demonstrated in graphs.  To me those transients are more likely to cause Intersample Peaks than any of the scientific tones used to prove their existence.  However, I do understand why they use these as examples since that's usually what today's music looks like (a square wave).  Anyways, I'll end this discussion by agreeing that the likelyhood of seeing Intersample Peaks can be eliminated by setting up your Limiter to peak at -1dBFS.  That's usually the range of their development even though, theoretically, they can go as high as 6dB (3dB being the more acceptable range). 

So there Mike, I accept defeat.  You win :-)

Enjoy the Divine Comedy, and take care my friend!

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
ATI Radeon HD 3650
Cubase 6.03 x64
Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
RME FireFace 400

The Maillard Reaction
Re:Analog and digital recordings...... making them sound better..... (From Gearslutz....) 2009/10/13 10:40:14 (permalink)
I don't want to win... I'm just trying to learn.

all the best,
mike

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1