New Drip Electronics La2a Build Thread...

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Mully
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1545
Re:New Drip Electronics La2a Build Thread... 2010/11/07 20:39:21 (permalink)
Thanks Dean... that's helpful. I had in my mind that the VU may require constant adjusts so it is great to hear it is quite stable.

Will look to a rear mounted pot and be done with it!

Cheers.

ASUS H270, i7-7700, JLM BA & 1290, LA2A Opto4, loads of guff.
Mully
Re:New Drip Electronics La2a Build Thread... 2010/11/13 19:00:44 (permalink)
Quick update.... finally ready to do a smoke test. Hopefully none escapes...

Have also mounted a trim pot with extended legs straight to the board via terminals until I get a pot for rear mount.

Fingers crossed.

Mully
Re:New Drip Electronics La2a Build Thread... 2010/11/14 08:50:57 (permalink)
The beast is ALIVE!

After a fair bit of fiddling this afternoon/evening, she is up and running and the studio floor is awash with tone juice everywhere..... these are called Drip for a good reason... tone just drips outta this thing.

Had some interesting problems to solve and the process has resulted in a much better understanding of the La2a beasties and their design... cool units and the Opto4 is an excellent interpretation.

Anyway, more updates if anyone is interested and how I got this beast to be noise free (yes!) and running after some tribulations (I was sure I'd installed a 2k and not the 22k found in circuit!!). Got one last mod to do using the filament voltage to light the VU and currently I've hung a temporary and knarly looking rectifier off a T4 (photo prolly up tomorrow) to give it half the volts it wants.

Did a few sample recording tonight with lace sensored Strat and found that once the Opto saw a pre amp (JLM 1290) at her front end, she really bursts into life and the VU starts to dance it's crazy samba and the room fills with lushness. All round pleasing experience it has to be said.

Anyway, time to turn the soldering iron off and think happy thoughts.
Cheers.

droddey
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5147
Re:New Drip Electronics La2a Build Thread... 2010/11/14 13:17:26 (permalink)
Seems like there's always a resistor decimal point transposition error in every project, no matter how much you check, eh? I had a couple in mine as well which had me scratching my head. Actually it made mine into a pretty nice sounding grunge amplifier.

But anyway, congrats. They really do sound awfully nice, at least mine does and it's super-quiet with lots of gain.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:New Drip Electronics La2a Build Thread... 2010/11/14 14:59:13 (permalink)
KILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ohhey
  • Total Posts : 11676
Re:New Drip Electronics La2a Build Thread... 2010/11/14 15:30:21 (permalink)
Mully

The beast is ALIVE!

After a fair bit of fiddling this afternoon/evening, she is up and running and the studio floor is awash with tone juice everywhere..... these are called Drip for a good reason... tone just drips outta this thing.

Had some interesting problems to solve and the process has resulted in a much better understanding of the La2a beasties and their design... cool units and the Opto4 is an excellent interpretation.

Anyway, more updates if anyone is interested and how I got this beast to be noise free (yes!) and running after some tribulations (I was sure I'd installed a 2k and not the 22k found in circuit!!). Got one last mod to do using the filament voltage to light the VU and currently I've hung a temporary and knarly looking rectifier off a T4 (photo prolly up tomorrow) to give it half the volts it wants.

Did a few sample recording tonight with lace sensored Strat and found that once the Opto saw a pre amp (JLM 1290) at her front end, she really bursts into life and the VU starts to dance it's crazy samba and the room fills with lushness. All round pleasing experience it has to be said.

Anyway, time to turn the soldering iron off and think happy thoughts.
Cheers.

Can we get one last money shot of the thing working ?
Mully
Re:New Drip Electronics La2a Build Thread... 2010/11/14 19:56:13 (permalink)
Hey thanks guys, appreciate the interest.

The resistor I found after hunting through the La2a schematic tracing back where the voltage drops to 270 (voltage was low at most test points) and sure enough, I had a 22k instead of the 2k... I am typically beyond fussy about this sort of thing and can only attribute this to one of the late night build sessions when i really should have walked away like other times...  oh well, it still resulted in good things learned about the mighty La2a.

Here's a pre completion piccy... still final VU power to do and last tidy up:

This one is another poor mobile phone piccy of the temp VU power reg strapped to a T4.

This is purely a gratuitous (new) mobile rack shot of the vacant slot begging for the Opto 4 to be bolted into:

Couple of misc things...

1. Have done some 'inventive' cable paths in an effort to reduce induced noise/hum. No real noise issues now I've pathed the earths properly and completely I have to say and some of the weird cabling could be reworked for aesthetics.

2. I mounted the board in reverse to the norm (mentioned previously in the thread) in order to minimize audio cable lengths. Suspect no real advantage.

3. This thing is actually very quiet... very pleased.

4. Case panel earth bonding was the final path to resolve... the front panel was high resistance to earth and was the source of the final hum. Rather than add an ugly fixing hole for another lug, I used a Utilux crimp around a switch and ran it to a common earth tie and voila!

5. Thinking about getting the JLM VU meter mod kit to resolve the VU Light issue the easiest. It will prevent the need to parasite 12VDC from somewhere in the case.. just use the existing heater supply terminations on board.

6. If you can see in the photos, I've mounted all transformers inside the case. No nasty hang outs of the rear and noise floor as mentioned appears to be quite low.... not noticeable and there is also loads of gain available. Will do some level checks soonish for reference.

Last thing... do people typically just put 0db (1.228V, Sine wave approv 1kHz) into these units, set to GR and then adjust the VU to 0? Is that the 'standard' method? Drip info on this is quite vague.

Cheers for now.

Jeff Evans
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re:New Drip Electronics La2a Build Thread... 2010/11/14 20:40:30 (permalink)
Hi Mully just out of interest how much did all this cost for one channel of compression? And remember 0dbu is 0.775v but +4 dbu is in fact 1.223v
I am going to be in Adeliade from New Years Eve onward for a few weeks and maybe we could catch up. I would like to do that.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Mully
Re:New Drip Electronics La2a Build Thread... 2010/11/15 08:23:04 (permalink)
Hiya Jeff,
cost wise I didn't keep a sharp tab but it would be around $1-1.2k as I sourced a lot of stuff from fleabay such as transformers including two for the price of one from England as well as two Solen caps really cheap from the same English seller.

A lot of new parts I bought wholesale and sourced from a couple of places including the case. Scored a load of parts too from the Drip forum via another Drip Opto builder who had left overs which was handy but in hindsight didn't really save me a lot of money, just made it easier with regards to the power tranny I also got off him and three of the valves.

I have a fair amount of left over parts including transformers that I'll prolly sell off to recoup assuming I don't start another Drip project. This is unlikely right now due to pending house move though.... MUST start clearing out the shed.

Aaahhh.... 1.223V = +4dB.... need to get that into my thick head.. I always seem to think it is 0dB weirdly. Thanks.

Hey it would be most excellent to catch up when you are in Adelaide Jeff, that'd be great for sure. Are you staying South or North?

Cheers!

The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:New Drip Electronics La2a Build Thread... 2010/11/15 09:56:46 (permalink)
"Hi Mully just out of interest how much did all this cost for one channel of compression? And remember 0dbu is 0.775v but +4 dbu is in fact 1.223v"

Just the other day I made the mistake of saying to someone that 0vu on their Sifram meter equated to 0.775v when it is indeed usually 1.233v on a +4dBu system.

:-)

Jeff Evans
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re:New Drip Electronics La2a Build Thread... 2010/11/15 14:01:32 (permalink)
Mully, Mike is very right. 0 db at 0.775v is one ref level but as we know we have decided to make the +4 db voltage level (1.228v and Mully you were correct) or 1.23v, a level that we use around the professional analog studio and we want that to show 0db VU.

I think the price is OK but for two of them (can they be linked) it would be close to $2500 and I know I think I would want to spend that on a computer instead. And find the plugin that emulates it the best. But yes it is nice to have all those valves in there! Can we afford them with the price of electricity going up.

I will be in St Peters but can move around easily. I will love to check out your setup.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
ohhey
Re:New Drip Electronics La2a Build Thread... 2010/11/15 14:08:55 (permalink)
Mully

Hey thanks guys, appreciate the interest.

The resistor I found after hunting through the La2a schematic tracing back where the voltage drops to 270 (voltage was low at most test points) and sure enough, I had a 22k instead of the 2k... I am typically beyond fussy about this sort of thing and can only attribute this to one of the late night build sessions when i really should have walked away like other times...  oh well, it still resulted in good things learned about the mighty La2a.

Here's a pre completion piccy... still final VU power to do and last tidy up:

This one is another poor mobile phone piccy of the temp VU power reg strapped to a T4.

This is purely a gratuitous (new) mobile rack shot of the vacant slot begging for the Opto 4 to be bolted into:

Couple of misc things...

1. Have done some 'inventive' cable paths in an effort to reduce induced noise/hum. No real noise issues now I've pathed the earths properly and completely I have to say and some of the weird cabling could be reworked for aesthetics.

2. I mounted the board in reverse to the norm (mentioned previously in the thread) in order to minimize audio cable lengths. Suspect no real advantage.

3. This thing is actually very quiet... very pleased.

4. Case panel earth bonding was the final path to resolve... the front panel was high resistance to earth and was the source of the final hum. Rather than add an ugly fixing hole for another lug, I used a Utilux crimp around a switch and ran it to a common earth tie and voila!

5. Thinking about getting the JLM VU meter mod kit to resolve the VU Light issue the easiest. It will prevent the need to parasite 12VDC from somewhere in the case.. just use the existing heater supply terminations on board.

6. If you can see in the photos, I've mounted all transformers inside the case. No nasty hang outs of the rear and noise floor as mentioned appears to be quite low.... not noticeable and there is also loads of gain available. Will do some level checks soonish for reference.

Last thing... do people typically just put 0db (1.228V, Sine wave approv 1kHz) into these units, set to GR and then adjust the VU to 0? Is that the 'standard' method? Drip info on this is quite vague.

Cheers for now.

.... and I'm spent...
millzy
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 890
Re:New Drip Electronics La2a Build Thread... 2010/11/15 16:33:55 (permalink)
Well done Mick, glad you're happy and finally got to hear her in action! Thanks for all your photos and updates along the way. I know you havent spent a lot of time with her yet, but at this early stage, would you say the drip and the JLM pre are a nice front end combination? 

Millzy

i7 3770K, 16gb ram, Samsung EVO SSD, 2 x WD drives, RME Babyface, Win 10 (x64), Cakewalk by Bandlab, heaps of other stuff.
Mully
Re:New Drip Electronics La2a Build Thread... 2010/11/15 23:14:27 (permalink)
Yeah Frank... a wee bit epic.

Heya Millzy, I've only tried it with a Strat straight in the input while checking things out and it was kinda ho hum, no real surprise of course. When I plugged the Strat in via the 1290 JLM, things got very cool.

The Opto really grew legs and sounded amazing. The compression is apparent but not overwhelming but the lushness really took my breath away.... very rich and I'd be keen to try some Pink Floyd type of material as it would be a perfect fit.

The VU is interesting but more a distraction I think as it is at times quite active... the ears take your interest away from 'looking' at this thing work which is a great thing IMO.

The Alctron valve mic I have here is really warm so I'm keen also to try it in combo with the 1290 but the Baby Animal may be a better match to keep some more of the sharper detail... if that makes sense.

Will get some stuff recorded so you can hear for yaself mate. Hope you're well.

Cheers!

millzy
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 890
Re:New Drip Electronics La2a Build Thread... 2010/11/16 01:13:59 (permalink)
Awesome mate, thanks for your blow by blow account of events along the way. As you know I've been following your journey with great interest. I'm rapt you are impressed with the final sound even at an early stage. I may have to heat up the iron myself!    

Millzy

i7 3770K, 16gb ram, Samsung EVO SSD, 2 x WD drives, RME Babyface, Win 10 (x64), Cakewalk by Bandlab, heaps of other stuff.
droddey
Re:New Drip Electronics La2a Build Thread... 2010/11/16 01:16:22 (permalink)
Mine came in around $800, since I did a generic case and cut all the holes myself, fairly onerous and a wee bit sloppy but it's what's inside that counts. The 'silk screening' is just stuff scratched into the anodized front plate with a sharp point. Same with my 1176, which I think I probably did for around $600 or some such (and a couple months off my lifespan due to stress.)

So you can do them quite reasonably, without cutting any corners or anything. I used Sowter trannies on my LA-2A and all the recommended parts. The originals didn't have super-fancy parts in them so you don't need to pimp out really to achieve good results.

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
Mully
Re:New Drip Electronics La2a Build Thread... 2010/11/17 05:39:11 (permalink)
Dean you should put some photos up, be great to see them.

I think at times the super caps and all that is great but at the end of the day, these things will sound awesome with generic parts anyway. Having dug through the schematic a bit now, it is simplistic... and tube. Can't go wrong.

Off to the shed in a minute to see if I can finish off the VU lights and get the lid on.

Millzy you should deffo be building one to match your Beesneez mic!!

droddey
Re:New Drip Electronics La2a Build Thread... 2010/11/17 14:59:17 (permalink)
Here is a somewhat out of date version of my rack. You can see the 1176 and LA-2A at the bottom.

http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/TmpAudio/Pictures/Rack.jpg

The Emu is gone and there are a pair of RME Multiface II's in the rack for 16 I/O. The Great River EQ is sadly gone, for survival money, and there's a second VLA Pro II in there now.

My 1176 is actually a 'leftie' because I accidentally cut the meter hole closer to the bottom than the top like it was supposed to, so the meter mount wouldn't fit. So I had to flip it the other way and put in everything backwards from what it normally is.

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
ohhey
Re:New Drip Electronics La2a Build Thread... 2010/11/17 16:49:32 (permalink)
droddey

Here is a somewhat out of date version of my rack. You can see the 1176 and LA-2A at the bottom.

http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/TmpAudio/Pictures/Rack.jpg

The Emu is gone and there are a pair of RME Multiface II's in the rack for 16 I/O. The Great River EQ is sadly gone, for survival money, and there's a second VLA Pro II in there now.

My 1176 is actually a 'leftie' because I accidentally cut the meter hole closer to the bottom than the top like it was supposed to, so the meter mount wouldn't fit. So I had to flip it the other way and put in everything backwards from what it normally is.

I like the knobs better on yours, that's exactly what I would have done.   Those telecaster looking things are like... nowhere..

However, to see them better at a distance these would be nice...

http://ecx.images-amazon....tmTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
post edited by ohhey - 2010/11/17 16:53:56
Mully
Re:New Drip Electronics La2a Build Thread... 2010/11/17 18:35:53 (permalink)
Hey Dean the only thing in your photo out of date is the table cloth! Looks good....

Do you get any heat issues at all with the Drip down low? Guessing not or it wouldn't be there.

Love all the VU's!

..and Frank chicken head knobs will never fade away. Got em on me JLM pair of preamps and they are brilliant to look at and to use on indented pots.

more more...

droddey
Re:New Drip Electronics La2a Build Thread... 2010/11/17 19:30:23 (permalink)
Actually that's a very thick rug. It kind of is part of the sound dampening I guess, but mainly it's becasue that table has a granite top, which wouldn't be very grippy for something like that rack sitting on it. So I threw that over the table. The table is kind of spindly looking for holding that rack, but it's wrought iron and the granite top is a good 100lbs if an ounce. so it's pretty solid. It takes about all I have to get the top on and off.

I don't really get any heat issues. There's so much empty space in the LA-2A because so much of the height is just for the tubes, that it has plenty of space for heat to disperse, and the 1176 is also almost all empty space.

The Pro IIs get fairly warm, as do the Multifaci, but I have two (very shallow) patch bays between the LA-2A and the lower Pro II. But mainly I wanted to keep them down load because they are far and away the heaviest pieces and I wanted to keep the center of gravity low.

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
Mully
Re:New Drip Electronics La2a Build Thread... 2010/11/18 06:12:01 (permalink)
Ahhh fair call on the rug... true about the space in the Opto... plenty of it. If your case is anything like mine there are loads of air breathing vents on all sides bar front and back.

Got any photos of the inside? Always cool to see how others do their DIY and is often such a help to others. I saw some cool things on other build photos that made some decisions a lot easier... bolted lugs for the earths through the PCB for example.

Cheers.

droddey
Re:New Drip Electronics La2a Build Thread... 2010/11/18 14:16:59 (permalink)
I had some picks of the inside at one point, and I think I posted them here, but they were probably just links to picks on my web site, which have since been deleted.

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1