V-700 arrived this weekend!

Author
Dredemer
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 47
2010/07/26 16:56:00 (permalink)

V-700 arrived this weekend!

Greetings,

As stated above the complete v-700 package arrived this weekend.  I was able to set up the 700R and the console without too much trouble but the Fantom vs is giving me some trouble.

I can see it in my synth list.  I insert it as a track, and I can see midi triggering in the Sonar track view...but im not hearing any audio.  I check the audio drivers and i have it checked in the input, but I don't see it listed as an output, should it be?

I ran out of time to work with it any longer but noticed through research that there is a firmware upgrade, is this the problem?

Im running sonar 8.5.3 and of course have the v-700R as audio interface, any suggestions would be great.

BTW i love the feel and look of the v-700, simply amazing.

Dave

11 Replies Related Threads

Dredemer
    Re:V-700 arrived this weekend! 2010/07/26 17:46:13 (permalink)
    And I did read through the posts on this forum including the "fantom vs" thread on this same page, but still couldn't resolve the situation, so Im looking for additional advice.

Thanks again,

Dave

garrigus
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8599
    Re:V-700 arrived this weekend! 2010/07/26 18:12:59 (permalink)
    Congrats! I'm sure you'll love the system.

Be sure to grab a copy of the free eBook (if you haven't already)...
    * Cakewalk V-Studio 700: A Closer Look http://garrigus.com/?VStudio700eBook

And did you do the firmware update? I'm pretty sure you still need to do it even with the systems currently being released. You can check the firmware version first, just in case. Check out this thread here in the forum and look for the post by Ryan Munnis from Cakewalk:
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1650712

Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar 8 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/  - http://www.musictechshop.com/ - http://www.cooltechshop.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/

Psybazyme
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re:V-700 arrived this weekend! 2010/07/26 19:16:59 (permalink)
    Hi David,

firstly, congratulations on your purchase.

I also recently bought the VS-700 package but didn't need to do the 1.1.1 firmware upgrade to get the FVS working, just the regular installation of the 32-bit Sonar 8.5.3 package.

When you open the Fantom editor do you get any messages saying 'midi settings are not correctly configured' or similar?

If so you can make necessary changes in the 'setup' panel so that Fantom VS700 is selected in all 4 boxes.

Close the box and try changing patches to check that the Fantom loads the data without problems.

In Sonars 'Options menu it's worth double checking that in 'midi devices' both Inputs and Outputs panels have IO Midi (VS-700) and Fantom VS (VS-700) checked and not IO(VS-700).

You said in an earlier post that you've been using Sonar for some time so you'll have turned 'input echo' on for the Fantom track, and have selected VS-700 Main or Master as the output buss.

If none of that helps, just repost and someone with more experience is sure to chip in soon.

Good luck,

J

Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:V-700 arrived this weekend! 2010/07/26 19:46:24 (permalink)
    I ran out of time to work with it any longer but noticed through research that there is a firmware upgrade, is this the problem?

It very well could be. Yes, you have to put in that update. If you're not getting warning pop ups about midi devices not being set up properly, that's probably it. Also put in the software update. Other than that, check all your midi setups in the Fantom, controllers/surfaces, Sonar, inputs and outputs in the tracks. There are some set up things in the system that will need to addressed after normal installation.

Craig DuBuc
    Dredemer
    Re:V-700 arrived this weekend! 2010/07/26 20:06:29 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies.

Scott I will be definitely be reading the e-book.  Thanks.

Psybazyme.  I don't receive any error messages when using the Fantom and midi inputs and outputs seem correct.....IOvs-700 not selected, and vs-700 in all selected 4 boxes. 

I installed the v-700 to an existing Sonar 8.5 program, so I didn't even open the Sonar software that came with the v-700.  I'm not sure how to check the version of Fantom that was installed though...any thoughts?

My sonar install is the 32 bit variety.

Crg,  I only saw the firmware update for the Fantom, is there a software update for it as well?  or are you referring to the v-700 update, because i'm confused by the website which says not to install v-700 1.1 update if you already updated Sonar.  

Thanks again,

Dave
    Crg
    Re:V-700 arrived this weekend! 2010/07/27 19:21:37 (permalink)
    Crg, I only saw the firmware update for the Fantom, is there a software update for it as well? or are you referring to the v-700 update, because i'm confused by the website which says not to install v-700 1.1 update if you already updated Sonar.

You've already done it. You should be done.

Craig DuBuc
    Psybazyme
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re:V-700 arrived this weekend! 2010/07/28 03:02:56 (permalink)
    Hi David,

any luck getting sounds out of you Fantom yet?

J
    Dredemer
    Re:V-700 arrived this weekend! 2010/07/30 20:15:42 (permalink)
    Well still having problems but made some progress.

I got the fantom to work on an older project that I have.  What happened was when I inserted fantom into that project it changed the routing of an audio track that I had in the song.  The audio track was a sample from a movie.  It changed either the input or output of that existing audio track and through that track fantom worked.

So I assume that fantom needs both a midi track and an audio track to work??  Is this because its a hardware synth?  I have not worked with any hardware synths so I think I just learned something.

Also if this is the case.  Is there a way to have an audio track and midi track inserted along with fantom when I insert into the synth rack??

Thanks for all the help,  I think I am close now and learning as i go.

Thanks,

Dave
    Dredemer
    Re:V-700 arrived this weekend! 2010/07/30 20:21:47 (permalink)
    Alright I opened a new project.  Inserted an audio track.  Inserted fantom.  Changed audio track input to "right vs-700 Fantom vs".  Activated echo input on....and fantom works.....YEAH.

Is this correct setup?  Did I figure it out?

Also total rook question,  what is the"right vs-700 fantom vs input" exactly?  It would help if i understood what that input was so I could visualize the path.  Is that input the right expansion board that is the Fantom VS??

Thanks again.

Dave
    Crg
    Re:V-700 arrived this weekend! 2010/07/31 05:55:56 (permalink)
    You have left-right-stereo options for those inputs. You can create a left input and a right input and pan the different channels in the Fantom Editor to either left or right. I do this when I'm using multiple voices in the Fantom and recorded tracks and live input for a new part. I send the recorded tracks left and live input right to make it clearer while practicing and laying down a new part. You can pan them all center or increments of the left-right stereo feild later for mixing-etc.
    Whatever you do, don't try to insert left-right and stereo audio tracks for the Fantom outputs at the same time, it will cause you problems.
    As to inserting the Fantom into a project, the options window that pops up when you insert has options for whether you have an instrument track or a Midi + audio track inserted. As well as whether the synth rack is shown. There's several ways to do it.
     Study that window, it's important.

Craig DuBuc
    krustywon
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:V-700 arrived this weekend! 2010/07/31 11:12:53 (permalink)
    I'm not 100% sure, because I don't own the unit or have the Fantom (Maybe today...big sale up here in the Great White North...and it ends today.) but I think from what I read, the VS700 treats the Fantom like a VSTi instrument.
    If so, you will need a Midi and an audio track like you asked earlier. Unless you use the "simple instrument track" (I think that's the name) option in the insert instrument dialog, but I understand that you lose some flexibility.
    When I insert an instrument, I go through the Insert>Soft Synths command and make sure I have it set to make a folder, midi track, and audio track. The two tracks are routed together properly and you just have to pick your input on the midi side (your keyboard or whatever...or just paste a midi loop or something on the track to get it to play something) and your output destination on the audio track...ie: your master bus or something that eventually points at your speakers...the same as any audio track.
    I may not be describing that very well, but Blades has a pretty good video here that shows the procedure for a VSTi. It also shows how to set it to play different sounds from the same instrument. I was never clear on that, so just inserted a second instance of the instrument, which I don't think would be an option as the Fantom is hardware, and you only have one of them.

Hope that helps you out.

Krusty.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1