Monitor Placement, advice, etc.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re:Monitor Placement, advice, etc. 2010/08/11 19:34:59 (permalink)
Actually, the tweeter-at-ear-level rule is almost never followed when it comes to the big, full-range soffit-mounted speakers. They are usually mounted higher than ear level and often angled downward.

There are two reasons for that. First of all, it's less critical the further away the speakers are. Those big guys might be 10 feet away, compared to 3 feet for nearfields. At the closer distance, you actually have to be concerned about the point at which the tweeter and woofer acoustically merge.

The other reason is that those big speakers aren't for the engineer's benefit anyway. They are there mainly there to impress the client sitting on the couch behind the engineer.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
spindlebox
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2645
Re:Monitor Placement, advice, etc. 2010/08/11 19:58:00 (permalink)
Makes sense!
I'm impressed!! 

spindlebox
Re:Monitor Placement, advice, etc. 2010/08/19 21:52:44 (permalink)
OK, here are the most recent pictures!  As you can see, I listened!!

The level of my head sits about right in the middle of the speakers now.  I also laid the wood siding back flush.  Next is going to be bass trapping treatment in the front corners.

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re:Monitor Placement, advice, etc. 2010/08/19 22:08:28 (permalink)
spindlebox did you get to listen to your speakers previously when they were up higher and if so, how do they compare now sound wise. You have done a mighty fine job. The reticulation arm (on the LCD) idea is excellent and I have been looking into it seriously. What you should do now is organise it so that the LCD screen can be pushed back behind the front speaker axis so it has the least effect when mixing. And pull it forward for more general and detailed work. Not sure of you have the room for the arm behind your LCD but I seem to have just enough to do it. They are not cheap unfortunately.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
spindlebox
Re:Monitor Placement, advice, etc. 2010/08/19 22:13:32 (permalink)
Jeff,
THANKS!!  I unfortunately did not get to hear the monitors mounted up high as they not only sent me the wrong voltage (220), but they sent EURO plugs!!  LOL.

Irregardless, this is obviously what I needed to do, and I appreciate your much needed insight and help!

I do plan on getting that reticulation arm, I don't care if it costs ~$300.  I DO have room to have it mounted, so I'm definitely doing it.  For now, I'm just going to "slum" it and do the best I can with the monitor where it is; though I may set up something temporarily (shelf or something against the bottom frame of the window), where I can place the monitor during critical mixing.

Dave King
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2862
Re:Monitor Placement, advice, etc. 2010/08/19 22:29:23 (permalink)
Looks sweet!

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

spindlebox
Re:Monitor Placement, advice, etc. 2010/08/20 15:18:21 (permalink)
Thanks Dave!!  It sounds pretty darn sweet too!!

ONE QUESTION: 

I have a subwoofer.  What is the general rule for using one.  I don't want my final mixes to be swayed by it.  I do like having one; it makes things sound so freaking nice!!  But how much is OK to have it up in the mix?  Is there a formula; recommended dB ratio?

Thanks!!!

bitflipper
Re:Monitor Placement, advice, etc. 2010/08/20 17:29:22 (permalink)
Best thing to do is set the sub's level by direct measurement, so that it provides a natural-sounding extension of the bass without adding anything that isn't really there. When measured, you should still see a (mostly) flat response with the sub engaged, just extended downward.

At least, that would be the purist's approach. An alternate strategy is to do all your mixing without the sub, then crank that sucker up when you want to impress naive friends or just kick back at the end of the day with a doobie or a beer and enjoy the fruits of your hard work.

My Stuff
Jeff Evans
Re:Monitor Placement, advice, etc. 2010/08/20 17:34:16 (permalink)
spindlebox I would connect up the sub. A few obvious things here. Placement should be near or on the same plane as the speakers. Check that phase is correct and level wise you need to set it so that it reinforces the low end rather than blow your head off which is where many seem to have it set.

There is an issue of crossovers. ie if the sub is on do you want to run your main speaksers through a crossover so they start rolling off at the sub crossover frequency. ie do you take the bass end out of the main speakers while the sub cuts in and continues the bottom end down.

Running your main monitors right down to their lower limit and having the sub could give you a hump in the bass response of your system especially around the sub crossover frequency.

At the TAFE where I teach they have rigged up a footswitch that turns the sub off but it also puts the speakers back to normal response eg extended bass while it is off. Then if it is turned on the main speakers go through the crossover instead. A bit tricky.

You could just have it running in tandem with your main speakers just to check on any sub sonic sound that may be in your mix you did not know about. But make it easy to turn it off from your operating position.

That gets us back into crossovers. Are you going to use the passive crossover in the sub or is there an active crossover in the sub. Then the question is how good is the active crossover for sound. Because you are now listening through a crossover so the quality and sound of the crossover needs to be up there. (Hi Fi in me here) I built an active crossover from an electronics mag and it uses very high quality op amps etc. It was not simple or cheap. The distortion and frequency response all need to be top class. ( I dont use the crossover, I made it for other reasons eg Home theatre etc) I have Mackie HR 824's and the bottom end is pretty darn good. Dont let me put you off, just bringing up some points about incorporating a sub into your setup. If you have it then find a way to utilise it for sure.

As Dave says do some accurate measurments down around the crossover frequency and see what is actually going on in that part of the spectrum.
post edited by Jeff Evans - 2010/08/20 18:12:06

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
skullsession
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1765
Re:Monitor Placement, advice, etc. 2010/08/20 18:22:49 (permalink)
What's a doobie?

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
Dave King
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2862
Re:Monitor Placement, advice, etc. 2010/08/20 18:30:45 (permalink)
... a member of the band from the 70's the Doobie Brothers. 

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

spindlebox
Re:Monitor Placement, advice, etc. 2010/08/20 21:30:52 (permalink)
Jeff, I swear, one door opens and another slams me right in the face.  I guess that's what's so fun about this; always something to learn (and overwhealm!)

So when you say "Placement should be near or on the same plane as the speakers. ", what does this mean exactly?  I was told that the sub shouldn't be in the center of both speakers, and it should be against the back wall.  I have it (currently) favoring the right hand side of my control room, up against the floor/wall near my desk.

This statement here:  "u could just have it running in tandem with your main speakers just to check on any sub sonic sound that may be in your mix you did not know about. But make it easy to turn it off from your operating position. " . . . .  is how I was intending on running the sub.  I wasn't planning on having it on constantly, for fear of giving me an inaccurate picture.

Now, the subject if "CROSSOVERS" is what's confusing me.  This is another new thing to me.  I should know these things, I suppose, being a Ham Radio person and all.  I should know more about electronics.

Any insight you can give will be helpful, and in the meantime, I'll do some "web studying".

Cheers!

Jeff Evans
Re:Monitor Placement, advice, etc. 2010/08/20 22:00:02 (permalink)
Many speakers without a sub (my Mackies and your JBL's by the look) are quite capable of going down to say 40 Hz well and reproducing very good bottom end. But if you have a sub connected what should happen is the front speakers should only go down to the sub crossover point which might be from 80 or 90 Hz to 120 Hz or so. This means they are having all the real low end removed from them so by themselves they will sound thin. But the sub is designed to come in around this point and take over to right down and often lower than your speakers would by themselves eg 30 Hz.

That is more the correct way to do it. There will be some sort of crossover built into the sub, passive (ie working at high power or speaker power) or line level crossover which is what you need because you have active front speakers. What sub do you have. Make and model so we can look it up and get some info on it.

Now you can ignore the crossover concept and just feed full range to your front speakers and get another full range signal down to the sub and the sub will kill of the high end but in this situation the sub and your speakers are working together especially around the sub crossover frequency and below for a while eg from 120 Hz down to say 40 Hz both speakers will be moving air. This is why I say the bass end might get a bit higher due to this. So you have to decide what approach you are going to use.

The ideal thing is one setting for your front speakers alone all the way down as far as they can go, the other setting front speakers are crossed over at 100Hz etc and sub kicks in and takes over. This is good actually because your main speakers will get all the serious cone excursion stuff removed from them and they will have an easier time of it. You will be able to go up louder, they will sound better and more relaxed because now they don't have to move any air anymore. This is why when a sub is involved front speakers can be much smaller. They don't have to move any air.

Have a think. Your sub positioning sounds fine. I just meant you dont want the sub at the back of the room or too far away from the main speakers. There are some time alignment issues to take into consideration. Because at 100Hz both speakers are moving at the same time.

BIABDude
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 676
Re:Monitor Placement, advice, etc. 2010/08/21 11:43:02 (permalink)
+1 tweeters positioned at ears and attention to the space of monitor from backwall is also just as important!
bitflipper
Re:Monitor Placement, advice, etc. 2010/08/21 15:45:34 (permalink)
When I first added a sub to my setup, I initially made the mistake of setting the crossover to too high a frequency, at about 100Hz. My thinking was that I was taking some of the load off my main speakers. However, the sub isn't as flat as my mains, so that setup didn't sound so good. I then gradually lowered the crossover frequency, re-measuring the response after each decrement. Ultimately, the best results were when I set it at the point where the mains are naturally down by 3db, which in my case is about 45Hz. That way, the sub is simply taking over where the mains give out, so when the sub is turned on the overall bass character doesn't change, it just gets deeper.

With the sub kicking in at that low a frequency, its location relative to the main speakers is irrelevant. At 45Hz, it's completely non-directional and the sub could be under your desk, behind you, off to one side - it doesn't matter. Try to keep it away from walls if you can, and definitely keep it out of corners.

When I was setting up my sub, I learned a neat trick for sub placement. You set the speaker on your chair, play back some bass-rich music and starting crawling around on the floor until you find a spot where the bass sounds best. That's where you want to put the subwoofer.

My Stuff
Jeff Evans
Re:Monitor Placement, advice, etc. 2010/08/21 18:15:02 (permalink)
Spindlebox I am sorry to complicate things too much. Dave's approach is excellent and much simpler. Simply find the point where your main speakers are -3 db down. You will need to be aware that the measurement microphone needs to be able to go down that far.

The sort of crossover frequencies I was talking about are more in line with the top speakers only going down to 100 Hz effectively but your monitors go well down below that. The crossover I built has selectable crossover frequencies but only down to 70 Hz and Dave's approach would require it to go down much lower than that. Dave you have given me the idea of going in and doing a mod now to the crossover.

But spindlebox even if you just wired your sub straight into your setup it is going to go higher than it needs to go so you should find a way to limit how far up your sub actually sounds. There may be an adjustable crossover point on your sub but like my crossover it might not come down low enough. You may have to feed you sub from an external crossover set to the lower frequency. Some commercially available ones (Behringer even) can go down that low. You are not hearing the main frequency range through the crossover this way either so the quality of the crossover does not have to be ridiculous.

It might be worth thinking about the slope of the crossover above the crossover point. I think it would need to be steepish so the sub is interfering with the bottom end of your main monitors for the least amount of frequency overlap. You could try different settings and see how it all sounds. But it is nice to get that extension of bottom end even if it is for another 15 Hz down. If you can still hear things at 25 Hz you are doing well.

Here is the Behringer unit.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/CX2310.aspx

As Dave says it is important to match the slopes at the crossover frequency. But this is not a normal filter response here at the bottom end of a speakers response. It will drop away fast here. The Behringer is 24 db /octave slope according to the manual. So if your speakers are - 3db at 40 Hz then being 24 db down at 20 Hz is quite unlikely. More like nothing there at 20 Hz. So a speaker could drop away faster than 24 db/oct but that I would think would be a good slope to work with.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2010/08/22 09:23:40

bitflipper
Re:Monitor Placement, advice, etc. 2010/08/21 22:18:35 (permalink)
It might be worth thinking about the slope of the crossover above the crossover point.

Good point, Jeff! If the slope of the sub's crossover is steeper than the natural slope of the main speakers, you could end up with an anomaly at the crossover frequency. If you don't know the slope, the safe thing would be to set it slightly above the -3db point of the mains.

My Stuff
spindlebox
Re:Monitor Placement, advice, etc. 2010/08/22 10:30:34 (permalink)
Hey guys,
None of this makes sense to me at the moment, I think I need to get a crossover unit first and then go over this.  So let me ask a NOOB question.  This crossover unit would get the outs from my AI and then I would go from it to the monitors and sub?  I would use this unit to adjust all the dB, freqencies, etc.?

Thanks!  I just found this unit on eBay for pretty cheap!!  Now, this thing isn't going to mess with the sound of my system is it?  It is a Behringer, after all!  LOL.

I'll wait to hear back before I press GO though!

Jeff Evans
Re:Monitor Placement, advice, etc. 2010/08/22 10:39:25 (permalink)
No, the good news is that your main speakers simply connect direct to the monitor outs as normal. They are not going through the crossover at all. But these monitor outs will also feed the input to the crossover. You only need the sub out from the crossover to feed your subwoofer.

Some subwoofers allow you to bypass the built in crossover and if you can, you should do it and let the Behringer do the crossover instead. You may not. Any info about make and model of your sub, then I can get a better idea.

spindlebox
Re:Monitor Placement, advice, etc. 2010/08/22 10:51:49 (permalink)
Cool, Jeff.  Thanks!  I just picked a new one up on eBay for just over $50 bux.

The sub I have isn't a "PRO-AUDIO" sub, but it's still a really nice one:

http://www.logitech.com/en-za/speakers-audio/home-pc-speakers/devices/231

Let the Flaming begin!!  LOL.

Actually, this thing, just up a hair, does unbelievable things to the sound.  Amazing.  At the very least, I can use it as a "WOW" factor for clients!!! 

bitflipper
Re:Monitor Placement, advice, etc. 2010/08/22 13:30:21 (permalink)
Are you sure that sub actually goes lower than your JBLs? LOL. The specs say 35Hz but give no db value, so it's anybody's guess where the practical low extreme actually is. They do list the S/N ratio at >100db -- at 1KHz!

I'm not criticizing your use of a cheap subwoofer, Scott. We all make do with what we've got. My own sub's not exactly a premium unit, either. But I'd advise taking some measurements to make sure that sub is really helping or just getting in the way.

My Stuff
Jeff Evans
Re:Monitor Placement, advice, etc. 2010/08/22 17:01:58 (permalink)
The advice I have given is taking into account we are using a quality sub woofer, eg either a 12" driver or 15" driver with a useable and flat response down to 20Hz or so. The unit you are suggesting would not be very accurate in the region we are talking about.

But thats OK if you just want to impress and add some weight to a mix for a client, it could be good for that. I would not use in a mixing situation though, it might not be that helpful.

I dont have it anymore but I built a sub based on a 15"driver made by Leak in the 70's. It used a thin polystyrene cone sandwiched with two thin layers of alluminum. The cone was very light and strong and did not bend. It was a sealed enclosure with the woofer firing into a cavity that put air pressure on the speaker. (Copied a Janis design) It had the best transient reponse for a 15 but went down to under 20 Hz with ease and was flat too. I know that some 12" drivers can sound incredible now.

But spindlebox consider investing in a quality 12" unit then connecting it up and getting it right then you would have something you could use all the time and mix and master safely on too. Do JBL make any subs that compliment your existing monitors? There are plenty of other options to choose from.

spindlebox
Re:Monitor Placement, advice, etc. 2010/08/22 19:56:33 (permalink)
Understood.  I was already planning on mixing without before we spoke here, and in fact did that yesterday with quite pleasing results!

The unit I will eventually get is:  http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/General/Product.aspx?PId=110&MId=5

It runs a cool $989 and is considerably out of my budget.  I have no lack of interest in getting a quality unit, just NO funds for it ATM, so I'm actually QUITE BEYOND the consideration stage Jeff!  LOL.

I'm definitely going to wait for my matching woofer though to keep the family bloodline pure.  In the meantime, I'll play around with this crossover I get and see what happens with the sub I have.  At the very least it will impress clients.  Honestly, it REALLY makes the sound GREAT in there. 

I'll be saving money from some of the projects I have going here; and will use the money towards that.  Baby steps!!  I pay cash for everything baby!!!

bitflipper
Re:Monitor Placement, advice, etc. 2010/08/23 12:55:44 (permalink)
A grand for a sub. You realize that works out to about fifty dollars per Hertz, right?

My Stuff
Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:Monitor Placement, advice, etc. 2010/08/23 13:19:34 (permalink)
bitflipper

A grand for a sub. You realize that works out to about fifty dollars per Hertz, right?

that really hertz! 

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
spindlebox
Re:Monitor Placement, advice, etc. 2010/08/23 16:06:04 (permalink)
Beagle

bitflipper

that really hertz! 

AMEN!!!  My little Logitech looks pretty good sitting down there right now, and it don't sound bad either!  Again, it's just for the wow factor, but hell, if I can do anything with this crossover, I'll certainly try.  It only cost me $53 bux with shipping!! 

spindlebox
Re:Monitor Placement, advice, etc. 2010/08/26 20:43:17 (permalink)
I just got my crossover unit.

One question, Dave/Jeff.  How do I find this:

"Ultimately, the best results were when I set it at the point where the mains are naturally down by 3db"

Thanks!

Jeff Evans
Re:Monitor Placement, advice, etc. 2010/08/27 02:11:30 (permalink)
Well one idea would be a measurement microphone that you know is flat to and below the point you are testing. Into a preamp and into some sort of metering that is also flat. You could feed in tones one by one starting at 50 Hz. A program like Adobe Audition can create a series of test tones going down 1 Hz at a time from say 50 Hz to 30 Hz. At one (or a few maybe) of those tones your metering will show a drop of - 3db.

Or feed pink noise into the system and use an RTA and look carefully around the lower frequencies and see what is 3 db down. What do the specs say, that is a good starting point.  An option for the RTA would be a spectrum analyser plugin monitoring the measurment microphone signal.

The Behringer ECM8000 would be a reasonable candidate and its affordable.

http://www.behringer.com/...ucts/ECM8000.aspx#main

If you dont want to go with the test, then the specs for your monitors say the frequency response goes down to 43 Hz. That is meant to be a -3db point so I would start there with the sub crossover frequency. As you are not going to use your current sub for accurate low end monitoring it does not matter so much. You might want adjust the crossover frequency to taste.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2010/08/28 17:12:26

jm24
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2127
Re:Monitor Placement, advice, etc. 2010/08/27 12:35:28 (permalink)
carl tatz monitor positioning do's and don'ts
[link=http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/newbay/eq_201008/index.php?startid=9#/8]http://www.nxtbook.com/nx...index.php?startid=9#/8
[/link]

I do not have the space to put the monitors 67.5 inches apart. The shelf containing speakers and video monitors will allow for 58 inches for the bottom of the triangle.
My working position is about 30" from the shelf. This puts the apex of the original triangle at 48 inches from the shelf. Obviously the speakers are closer to my wonderful ears. But they are placed sorta according to the theory.

Also have some mopads under the speakers.

J

spindlebox
Re:Monitor Placement, advice, etc. 2010/09/03 08:51:24 (permalink)

If you dont want to go with the test, then the specs for your monitors say the frequency response goes down to 43 Hz. That is meant to be a -3db point so I would start there with the sub crossover frequency. As you are not going to use your current sub for accurate low end monitoring it does not matter so much. You might want adjust the crossover frequency to taste.

Cool!  Jeff thanks for this.  Sorry for the delay.  I had to make an XLR with 2 male ends cable and equip one end with a XLR to 1/4" adapter to get the feed from my AI, and another adapter into the back for the sub 1/4" plug as it's hardwired into the sub.  So it's now working!    Thank goodness I learned how to make my own cables. LOL.

So I take it you looked at my specs because I see this as you mention:

Frequency Response (+/- 1.5 dB): 50 Hz – 20 kHz
Enclosure Resonant Frequency: 41 Hz
Low Frequency Extension: User controls set to default
-3 dB: 43 Hz – 22 kHz
-10 dB: 35 Hz – 32 kHz
Low-High Frequency Crossover: Digital Crossover: 2.2 kHz, 8th order LR LF/3rd order BW HF
Distortion, 96 dB SPL,
1 m: Mid-High Frequency
(200 Hz - 20 kHz)
2nd Harmonic: <0.4%
3rd Harmonic: <0.3%
Low Frequency (<200 Hz)
2nd Harmonic: <1.5%
3rd Harmonic: <0.7%
Measured Maximum Continuous SPL : 106 dB / 1m
Measured Maximum Peak SPL: 112 dB / 1m
Maximum Peak SPL Per Pair: 118 dB SPL / 1m
Low Frequency Model: 438H

Is that what you're talking about?  So, in layman's terms (sorry, this is a new area for me), I can see where I adjust the  SUB'S frequency in the SUBWOOFER (center):

I guess I'm not sure of a few things:

1), how high do I set the GAIN for the SUBWOOFER
2) how high do I set the INPUT GAIN on my input channel (in this case #2)
3) where do I set my "XOVER FREQ" (knob to the right of the 2 in the channel)
4) I assume I don't use the LOW CUT button
5) there are 2 other gain knobs to the far right.  I assume these are all the way up?

Anyway, Jeff, thanks for putting up with my questions.  Your help is greatly appreciated.

BTW, I do want to run the actual test, but need to get a mic. like the one you're pointing at.  At this point I don't have it and just want to get a very close approximation.  It's hard to justify the purchase since I won't be using it for much else, but sound treatment IS important.  Could I use this mic as a room mic for drums too? 

I suppose I could just keep buying things forever!!!  

post edited by spindlebox - 2010/09/04 02:39:42

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1