Does anyone know how to record streaming audio?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
larrymcg
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1310
Re:Does anyone know how to record streaming audio? 2010/10/07 13:25:57 (permalink)
I'm still curious about these apps recording without the What You Hear option.

My (somewhat limited) experience is that the On-board audio sound chips tend to have the What You Hear facility (or Stereo Mix or whatever they might call it).  However, you might not see the option unless you view the Recording properties in the Windows Mixer (speaker icon in the system tray).  Double clicking the speaker icon opens the Playback properties so you won't see it there.

-- Larry

Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6GHz; 8GB; Win10 Pro 64bit; 1TB disk + 3TB ext disk; Midiman Fineline mixer; MidiSport 4x4 midi I/F; Roland JV-30 kbd/synth; Yamaha TG55 synth; Rx with 3 piece Home audio speakers; Sonar X3e Studio
birdg735
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 137
Re:Does anyone know how to record streaming audio? 2010/10/08 20:45:49 (permalink)
larrymcg

I'm still curious about these apps recording without the What You Hear option.

My (somewhat limited) experience is that the On-board audio sound chips tend to have the What You Hear facility (or Stereo Mix or whatever they might call it).  However, you might not see the option unless you view the Recording properties in the Windows Mixer (speaker icon in the system tray).  Double clicking the speaker icon opens the Playback properties so you won't see it there.

-- Larry

Hey Larry,

Okay, I see what you are saying - sort of.  Yes - Window's Sound Recorder needs to be told what to record and this is done, as you stated above,  through the "Edit --> Audio Properties --> Sound recording" section.  Stereo Mix is one of many options - if that is the equivalent of "What You Hear" I don't know as I don't/never owned a Creative product.

I, and expect others, assumed that the OP had gotten this far - perhaps not.  So yes you're right - you have to tell it what to record.

Nice tunes on your site - TC - B

larrymcg
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1310
Re:Does anyone know how to record streaming audio? 2010/10/09 01:03:55 (permalink)
birdg735,  You and I are talking about very different things.

In the Window's Sound Recorder app, the Edit>Audio Properties>Sound Recording section is actually pulling up the Audio tab of the Windows Sound and Devices control panel.  This is where you select the devices (or synths) for Sound Playback, Sound recording and Midi music playback.  At this level we are picking devices, not options supported by the device.  So, you would pick your sound card for sound playback and for sound recording.

The Windows Mixer, I was referring to, is used to select options and set levels of a specific device, typically a specific sound card.  And, in fact, the Windows Mixer will, by default, show the options and level controls for the device specified in the Windows Sound and Devices control panel.  The What you Hear (or Stereo Mix) option is a option or feature of the sound card (in the OP's case, the sound card is an M-Audio Fast Track Pro).  So the OP would select the M-Audio card in the Windows Sound and Devices control panel and then use the Windows Mixer to select the options and levels on the M-Audio card.

What I was trying to point out is that the Windows Mixer opens to the Playback controls of the sound card.  Within the Windows Mixer you have to get to the Recording properties to see the What You Hear or Stereo Mix options.

Actually, some sound cards come with their own mixer tailored for the features of that specific device.  For example, the sound card might support various forms of equalization or effects like reverb.  The Windows Mixer can handle the ordinary features of those sound cards but the card specific mixer can do it all.  If the M-Audio card has its own card specific mixer, then it would include Recording controls and the What You Hear (or Stereo Mix) would show up there too.

In summary, the Windows Sound and Devices control panel selects a device to be used and the Windows Mixer controls the selected device.  Of course it gets a bit more complicated if you have more than one sound card but let's not go there!

--Larry

Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6GHz; 8GB; Win10 Pro 64bit; 1TB disk + 3TB ext disk; Midiman Fineline mixer; MidiSport 4x4 midi I/F; Roland JV-30 kbd/synth; Yamaha TG55 synth; Rx with 3 piece Home audio speakers; Sonar X3e Studio
MemphisJo
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 594
Re:Does anyone know how to record streaming audio? 2010/11/15 15:09:04 (permalink)
HeatherB

MemphisJo

Why not record it into Cakewalk? (I assume that you have a soundcard and Cakewalk).

I didn't know you could do that - what would the process be to do that?
1. buy a Y cable (1/4" trs to 2 x ts)
2. use your soundcards headphone out and re insert it back in to your channel 1 and 2 ins (channel 1 left channel 2 right)
3. set up a stereo track in cakewalk and set up your ins and outs correctly and it will record anything that is comming out of your audio interface and going to the monitors - just make sure input echo is off!!

EASY! 

www.soundclick.com/peter-nigel-productions 
Shuttle PC, Mbox2 pro, some guitars and keyboards (with amps and straps etc), Sonar 8 PE plus some other stuff.

Truckermusic
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1924
Re:Does anyone know how to record streaming audio? 2010/11/18 15:47:25 (permalink)
Searchfinger

Just tried it on XP with onboard Realtek AC97 card. Works fine with no "What you hear". You may have to set your audio device in: Edit --> Audio Properties

Yeah, i use Audacity (it's free) and my onboard Realtek card  to record streaming audio with no problems.  Works great.  You might want to try it.  You can always revert to your high end audio after the job is done anyway.

Ok...stupid queston.....

I have audacity, windows XP Home and an Nivida soundcard.....how would I be able to set this up to do this?
Clifford

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
16 Gig of Ram 
4.5 Gighz
Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
Unibrain Firewire Card
Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
Mackie Big Knob
NI Komplete 8
Machine 2
RobertB
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11256
Re:Does anyone know how to record streaming audio? 2010/11/18 20:36:24 (permalink)
Cliff, follow this, but select "Stereo Mix" as your Recording source.
http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1370491
You may be able to select Wave, which would be slightly more appropriate, but I don't believe it is available as a recording source.
You can actually record straight into Sonar this way, if you have your onboard sound card selected in Options>Audio.
However, you can only do this using WDM or MME driver mode.
If your FA-101 gives you the option of a Wave input, you can use that.
This is what I do with my E-MU0404, using Patchmix.
hth

My Soundclick Page
SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
MemphisJo
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 594
Re:Does anyone know how to record streaming audio? 2010/11/18 22:25:59 (permalink)
RobertB

Yoo can actually record straight into Sonar this way, if you have your onboard sound card selected

Why use the crappy on board soundcard when you can use your decent soundcard as I suggested? just convert it into a mini mixer and get much better quality recordings. The double DA/AD conversion is negligible.

I also have a MP3 recorder that I've had for years, it's called i Sound and works well.

www.soundclick.com/peter-nigel-productions 
Shuttle PC, Mbox2 pro, some guitars and keyboards (with amps and straps etc), Sonar 8 PE plus some other stuff.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1