Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Viamichael
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 174
Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/30 17:36:23 (permalink)
I've been having this snap problem and finally figured it out. Maybe by now you all have, too. In fact, maybe someone posted the solution in another thread, or even this one. Solving some of these issues has been taxing on the mind and eyes.

What I found was that I did not have "Snap to clip landmarks" checked. After that I set the "Musical time snap" to whole, and the "Absolute time snap" to O frames and that solved the problem.

Now, with this setting  I can not only set the cursor on the beginning of each measure but it will also set itself at the end of a clip. So if a clip ends at some point before the end of a measure, the cursor will plant itself right at that point. I find this very helpful.
M.
HumbleNoise
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2946
Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/30 19:30:21 (permalink)
Michele

I find your posy really interesting and the thing I find interesting about is twofold. One is the shear amount of features packed into X1 and the other is the learning curve to access those features. Is that 'snap' feature amazingly feature rich and works as intended or is it so complex the casual user will never be able to fully access all of its features?

I am not a power user at all but I've been trying to learn X1 since its introduction and I had no idea about those two setting nor any idea how to use them. I'm going to try those settings (and more) to see what becomes of my 'snapping' skills.

This post, I think, also points out how desperately Cake needs to produce some video tutorials on how to work X1. It's just so deep and feature rich there's no way to find the nuances that enhance your work flow without years of discovery. That is normal practice for any DAW but we need some help out here. Bring on the videos.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
MAudio 2496
Yamaha MG 12/4
Roland XV-88
Intel MB with Q6600 and 4 GB Ram
NVidia 9800 GTX
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
brundlefly
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/30 21:45:25 (permalink)
One is the shear amount of features packed into X1 and the other is the learning curve to access those features. Is that 'snap' feature amazingly feature rich and works as intended or is it so complex the casual user will never be able to fully access all of its features?

All those snap options have been in SONAR for many versions. The way they were layed out in the snap dialogue of previous versions made then significantly more intuitive IMO, though the way they are accessed now might be a little more convenient.
Alabaster
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 112
Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/30 22:05:41 (permalink)
I had snapping problems in Piano Roll view but it seems to work out when I zoom out a bit.

I assumed this was a feature -- when you're zoomed in close the smart tool lets you fine tune note placement without having to disable the snapping.  I could be wrong, but I've actually found it useful this way.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1