Morning Mist new mix, 1/12

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Janet
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8094
Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/11 22:12:06 (permalink)
Especially not while mourning?  :-) 

Thanks Rick!
Bub
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7196
Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/11 22:24:37 (permalink)
Very nice Janet. I love piano pieces like this.

I hear the buzzing sound too. It's an artifact from the file being converted when you upload it to soundclick. That's why I use box.net ... I can upload high quality mp3's with no loss up to 25mb each, which I've never hit.

Soundclick converts the tracks to mp3, so if you upload an mp3 I 'think' it's being converted twice. Maybe try uploading the exported wav file and see if that helps maybe?

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
stratrat1
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 212
Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/11 23:06:53 (permalink)
I love where your music and imagination takes me Janet.. this too is a beautiful piece.. It could be left as is or a number of instruments could be added... But I think it is beautiful as is !!!

Sonar Platinum
windows 10 64bit
Intel i7 Quad 950
Asus p6t 
24 gigs DDR3 1333
3 250 gig SSD
VS-700C
Soundcraft COMPACT 24 for pres and converters....
Bob Oister
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2766
Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/12 03:56:45 (permalink)
Hi, Janet,

A belated Happy New Year to you!

Beautiful composition and amazing playing, as always from you.

Very nice job, have a great night!
Bob
radio
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2782
Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/12 04:55:52 (permalink)

Very nice song Janet , I can feel the morning mist around me right now .

Radio

Truckermusic
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1924
Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/12 08:25:42 (permalink)
Janet
bub could very well be on to something here.

sound click is verry brutal to your music.....it's hard to get a good sound going there...

In fact I cannot convert to mp3 inside sonar either cause that actually does something very very weird to my conversion....

so I have to render to 16 bit wave from Ozone and then import into Audacity and convert there.....

My one problem right now is I can only get 320 kbps out of audacity...I have looked several times how to choose a different kbps rate but no luck.....oh well....

but more than likely it is the soundclick site providing the additional sound source

Clifford

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
16 Gig of Ram 
4.5 Gighz
Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
Unibrain Firewire Card
Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
Mackie Big Knob
NI Komplete 8
Machine 2
Janet
Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/12 08:49:22 (permalink)
Thank you very much, Bub.  Yeah, I believe it's SC, but I wonder why it waited so long to do this to me?  I've got 60 other songs on there that are fine.  (without the artifacts, I mean.)

Thanks Stratrat.  I'm glad you enjoyed it.  Yeah, I'd love to orchestrate this too...that's the fun part for me.  But a good friend of mine is encouraging me to do more piano solos...so I'm trying. :-)

Glad you liked it, James.  :-)

Yeah, Cliff, I believe it. But why did it wait till now to do that to my music?  I'm uploading stuff the same way I have for 3 years (AFAIK).
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/12 08:51:37 (permalink)
I had problems some time back with Soundclick's conversion process. Unless you have a paid account, ALL files are reduced to 128kb... I was uploading 128's and in a few the piano had a phased sound.

I tried uploading a 320kb even though SC will convert it down, and that solved the problem.   So be sure to load the highest value possible.

The only time I drop back to a lower value, is if the 320kb file exceeds the 10mb limit to free accounts. Then I'll upload  the next resolution down.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
silvercn
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1238
Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/12 11:49:33 (permalink)
Janet --did you ever get that buzzing resolved...If I recall it was only occuring when the song played on SC? --
jimmyman
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2193
Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/12 15:04:17 (permalink)

Janet wrote:

OK, Jimmy, new mix up.  I tried to make it less bouncy (I thought the exact same thing about the original version and thought maybe you would too, but decided to try it anyway.)  Thanks for helping me with this one too!  I put it in a concert hall (is it too much?) and added extra resonant sustain to Ivory (I haven't used that very often so I'm wondering how it translates), I took out a lot of the bouncy chords, changed a few notes just 'cause, changed the eq.  (you recommended a cut at 3K.  I had a bump at 4K. lol), brought all the velocities down, etc.  Anyway, I hope it's warmer and more lush.  It's still not exactly how I envisioned it, actually, but it's closer. 

........................................................................................

In simple terms this isn't as good as the version before it. To have (all) the notes
have the same or similar tone leaves no diversity in the persona of the song and
or the piano sound. As a listener I would "live with" the "issues" on the previous
mix to hear the "persona" in the music over having the sound that this does.

This brings to mind something I think is actually a step forward for you. I think
your previous mix was one where you "raised the bar" on your piano tone. It's
just that as we "get a new" and improved sound it takes time to work out some
things.

What I think is "most important" is that you, me or anyone who can "get a great"
sound can have a point of reference. I know that sounds cliche but it seems that
things "change" in a persons mindset once they hear themselves in some new and
improved tonality.

One of the many reasons that I don't post much anymore is for that reason.
Of course that's only me. In my mind I feel that I have to meet or exceed the
last piece that I did in one or a number of ways. Things get worked out when
a song gets written, performed, recorded, produced etc.

I would speculate to say though that certain inspiring and motivating things
"happen" during" the recording/performing process that really brings the end
result to life in the end. We are "hearing" the tone and character etc of the
player and performance much more like it will sound as an end result.

On piano I don't do any "across the board" settings of for example "setting
a limit to velocities". I've tried "so many" things in the piano roll view to try and
fix or make "something" sound right and the more I did the worse things got.
I do edit the piano in the piano role view (if) I have too, but in my mind I "now"
try and do that only if i have to. Before, I would easily and quickly reach for
the quantize, or velocity or something tools finding myself left with a "fixed" and
un human sounding track.

As for your question of, is it more warm or lush? No, It's actually more dull
sounding. I think your idea of boosting an eq at 4k was good from what I heard.
It's just that that frequency got a little "strong" at times. If this piano sample
is different from the last one I would got back to "that last one" and see if there
is a way to work on it instead.

I went back and looked at my last song in Sonar "without saying a word". I had
the sonitus EQ and the Sonitus multiband comp (in that order) on the track and
that was it and no master buses or effects.  (but) in the Piano vst I also eq, comp
and verb.

I'm wondering if you can use an eq first and then a multiband comp in the piano
track and set to your taste if you might get the nice sound that you had on the
earlier version.

I generally set the multi bands settings on
          Ratio 15.2
          Knee 9
          Attack 0
          Release 200
          Type Vintage

If need be you can also use the multi band comp as an eq as well because
the band levels are adjustable.

Although many things can be a trade off as far as velocities go I prefer using
the comp over editing the piano velocities in piano role (although I do).
I edit in piano role if nothing else works. So I do do that when I have to.

It seems to me that the "better" piano samples have a bit of brightness
on the lower keys and even though the higher keys do too as well "that sound"
is so much more rich and life like. It's just hard to control that brightness
when the piece is dynamic.

Janet
Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/12 16:31:58 (permalink)
Hmm... Well, phooey.  I hope I saved a track of the keys before I lowered the velocities!  :-)  Thanks Jimmy.  I'll see what I can do.  Darn it....I thought a piano piece would be easy for a change.  lol
thepogue
Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2458
Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/12 16:39:16 (permalink)
lotsa input on the mix amoung other things...so I'll just add..

lovely peice!!

thanks for the share!
morenoise
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1074
Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/12 16:44:09 (permalink)
Hi Janet, what a lovely tune!I do like solo piano, it just doesn't need anything else, this is real music,bravo!In complete contradiction to what I've just said, it's also a lovely tune to play guitar to.Shame about the buzzing sound but I've noticed myself that soundclick sometimes ads artifacts to uploaded mp3's, a higher bitrate (192kbs or higher) when encoding your master to mp3 might help, did the trick for me.Keep them coming!

Houdoe, Rik
Janet
Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/12 18:33:30 (permalink)
Thanks Herb.  I'll look into that.  I can't figure out what would have changed with the way I've done things forever.

Not yet, Charles. 
Janet
Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/12 21:06:57 (permalink)
OK, I tried again.  Not sure if it's better or not. Still can't get rid of the buzzing on SC. 
jimmyman
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2193
Re:Morning Mist new mix, 1/12 2011/01/12 22:01:08 (permalink)

Janet whatever you did worked. This sounds very good. The soft passages have a nice
flow and the stronger playing has a nice ring without being overbearing. Overall it's very well balanced in a way that shows off the feel of the playing.
RobertB
  • Total Posts : 11256
Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/12 22:01:45 (permalink)
I missed the earlier version, but it sounds pretty good now. Possibly some harmonics coming off the low end, but not really noticable.
As usual, this conjures up great visuals. I am inclined to disagree with previous statements about the softness/mist thing. Morning mist in the hills and mountains is kind of dramatic, quietly powerful. I love waking up early, and watching it rise through the tall pines. It's rather inspiring, and makes you feel glad to be alive. I think you have captured that.
Nice, very nice.
post edited by RobertB - 2011/01/12 22:03:19

My Soundclick Page
SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/12 22:09:59 (permalink)
lovely piece, janet!  maaavelous!

at first I didn't hear the "buzzing" everyone was talking about.  I could hear the piano soundboard resonating and thought maybe that was what they were complaining about, but closer listening in the cans (don't go there robby) I could hear some digital distortion - kind of faint, but it's there.  that must be what everyone's talking about.

try encoding at a higher rate and see if that works. 

it's just barely noticable, IMO, tho. 

this is an excellent piano piece!  I love the 3 handed parts!!! :-)

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
Janet
Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/12 22:30:34 (permalink)
Thanks for coming back, Jimmy.  (I knew you would, but didn't expect you so soon!)  :-)  I was using the effects in Ivory for the concert hall, but I don't think it was doing what it was supposed to, so I fiddled with Ozone a little bit.  Don't ask me what I did, though.  lol  I was able to raise the velocities a bit.  That doesn't work if you choose to interpolate, but I don't do that anymore, since just lowering them all works.  (I'm listening to some of my older stuff now and wow...does it need a LOT of work in that dept! LOL)  I also varied the volumes a little bit as Cliff suggested.  Thanks again, Jimmy!

Thanks Bob! The only time I don't like the morning mist is when I'm going across the bridge into town and can't see a thing.  Otherwise it's pretty cool. :-)  Harmonics off the low end?  I'm not even sure what that is.  Thanks for stopping by.  I always enjoy your word pictures and encouragement. :-)

Thanks Reece!  Maavelous, huh?  :-)  Thanks.  And I think I figured that buzzing out, thanks to a special dog around here.  I'm surprised I can keep my head on straight sometimes.  lol  Thanks again!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1