Open the Box or Return it?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Bristol_Jonesey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re:Open the Box or Return it? 2011/01/27 05:54:58 (permalink)
OldDog

A couple of things, if you are running a discontinued OS like XP you may run into problems, if your machine is underpowered or has minimal RAM you may have problems, if your machine is also your internet browsing machine you might have problems.
Harry
Harry:
  1. Windows XP is still one of the Operating Systems recommended by Sonar
  2. My machine is a Quad Core, definitely not under powered
  3. I have 4Gb of RAM installed
  4. This macihne has never been and never will be, interent enabled
So what, is causing Sonar X1a to crash, seeminghly at random? And I mean a hard crash - right back to the desktop without even doing anything remotely stressful with the system?

All previous versions of Sonar have been increasingly stable with this machine - 8.5.3 being absolutely rock solid with whatever I threw at it.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
gordonrussell76
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1879
Re:Open the Box or Return it? 2011/01/27 08:36:12 (permalink)
Jonesered

How much are Presonus paying you dude :)

Seriously thought nice as S1 is, it has less stuff in it, less funcionality, so its going to be easier to implement bug free.

Sonar is not, as to the OP, wait until the bug release see what people say and then make you're choice about opening the box.

Hell look at other DAWS as well, but don't blindy buy S1 blindly, its solid, it has some great functionality but its also missing a lot as well and you could be waiting until 2.0 or 3.0 before it can do everything sonar does, ie you will still be waiting for something.

Personally i would install 8.5 or whatever you're last versino of sonar was on you're new machine and just make some music
Crush
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 138
Re:Open the Box or Return it? 2011/01/27 09:15:53 (permalink)
I cannot complete a song with Sonar X1 without the bugs getting in the way and ruining my project. I have tried several times.

Also, I cannot sell my copy used to anyone on Craigslist because that would be selling them something which is broken and I feel unethical selling it to someone.

Read that last sentence again.

You will have the 'Sonar Damage Control Team' out to lie about the product having no issues, but if you open the box, do NOT say I didn't warn you as you are truly setting yourself up for a disappointment.

Cakewalk NEEDS you to return your product to the store in order to get the bugs (they are much more than bugs actually) fixed. Please don't fall for the SDCT's attempts to get you to push the red button. Don't do it.
Crush
  • Total Posts : 138
Re:Open the Box or Return it? 2011/01/27 09:17:59 (permalink)
And one thing about midi timing. I have found that there is something wrong about Sonar midi. With Presonus midi recording working correctly. Quantize On or Off mode. I always felt that there is small midi delay with Sonar.

+100
OldDog
  • Total Posts : 113
Re:Open the Box or Return it? 2011/01/27 10:13:23 (permalink)
Bristol_Jonesey

OldDog

A couple of things, if you are running a discontinued OS like XP you may run into problems, if your machine is underpowered or has minimal RAM you may have problems, if your machine is also your internet browsing machine you might have problems.
Harry
Harry:
  1. Windows XP is still one of the Operating Systems recommended by Sonar
  2. My machine is a Quad Core, definitely not under powered
  3. I have 4Gb of RAM installed
  4. This macihne has never been and never will be, interent enabled
So what, is causing Sonar X1a to crash, seeminghly at random? And I mean a hard crash - right back to the desktop without even doing anything remotely stressful with the system?

All previous versions of Sonar have been increasingly stable with this machine - 8.5.3 being absolutely rock solid with whatever I threw at it.
Jonesy,

I think the bigger question is why is my machine stable, yet yours is not?  If everyone was crashing then certainly it would be Cakewalk's fault, the fact that some are and others are not indicates variances in our machines.  My DAW has Cakewalk, Sony Vegas, and Komplete 7 on it, plus a handful of small support apps.  And the only crashes are what I described earlier. 

The plot thickens..........

You can teach an old dog new tricks, it just takes a little longer!

Q9550 overclocked to 3 ghz
8 gig DDR3 ram
Intel Extreme motherboard
CPU & GPU liquid cooled
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re:Open the Box or Return it? 2011/01/27 11:29:01 (permalink)
It's certainly is a mystery...........

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
djtrailmixxx
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 235
Re:Open the Box or Return it? 2011/01/27 16:50:10 (permalink)
Bristol_Jonesey,

Run Memtest86  (http://memtest86.com/)

If you can afford it or 'get your hands on it' , run spinrite (http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm)

Make sure you are not running any of that junk software that comes with those WD external drives, even though its backup function is nice, that software is the devil. Manual backups my friend.

Update your Bios

What is your DPC latency like?

Your power supply might be the culprit as well, look into a Seasonic, calculate you PS needs here: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Sonar Platinum X64 - Win 10 x64 - Intel SB-E 3930 - Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 - 16GB DDR3 - AMD R290X - 4x 1TB SSD RAID 0 (Sys and Data partitions) - 2x UAD2 Quad - 1x UAD2 Octo - UAD Apollo Dual
rjt
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1017
Re:Open the Box or Return it? 2011/01/28 09:28:44 (permalink)
Open it

Talk is cheap; supply outweighs the demand.

Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people look bright before you hear them speak.

Jerry Jones bought the Dallas Cowboys, Andy Reid owns them!!

rainmaker1011
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 652
Re:Open the Box or Return it? 2011/01/28 12:56:45 (permalink)
DBerriman

Thanks to everyone who responded.

I installed the Sapphire Pro 24, then the Sonar X1.  It took some doing (driver and software updates galore), but I got everything working now.

The program itself is overwhelming.  They make it look so smooth and easy on the videos.  "With the new Sonar Skylight, everything is at your fingertips...."  Yeah, if you knew where to look / how to use them.  This is not a complaint, just an observation.  There must be 300 features "at your fingertips" at any given moment in X1.  Nice to have them nearby, sure, but they are no clearer or easier to work with than anything else I've encountered. This will take a LOT of time for newbies such as myself to get anywhere near up to speed for even basic recording, arranging, production.  For example, I recorded a simple audio / midi track using the built-in Piano soft-synth and simply want to "export" this audio into an Mp3 track so that I could upload it to my website, or to Facebook.  How to do this?  Well, I'll have to figure that out yet.  I see a "burn to CD" option, but don't see a "create MP3" tab.   I know this is probably VERY quick and easy to do, but darned if I could find it.  And there is NO Owner's Manual to speak of within the BOX.  I paid extra for the box (rather than the download) because I wanted a comprehensive manual at my side.  BUT, it does NOT come with one.  It comes with one small "outline" / starter manual a few pages long, and one foldout with shortcuts.  So much for the "comprehensive" manual I had expected!

Now, having said all of that, I'll say this.  X1 hasn't crashed, clicked, gliched, frozen or ANYTHING of the sort.  Not once, which is a BIG relief.  It has been ROCK-SOLID.  I have found that I can even leave email and Internet windows open without any drag or effect on my Sonar project whatsoever.  It is stable and the sound coming from the Saffire Pro is sweetness.  The "True Piano" is incredible. 

It's just a bit of a shame to me that technology is so damned complicated these days that making music / getting creative tends to take a backseat to fiddling with knobs, buttons, sliders, parameters, tools and dozens and dozens of other "features" in order to get what you want.  What happened to the days when a band would show up at a studio, and 10 hours later would have a complete album, mixed and ready for print?

HI,
I am not at my DAW now, but creating a MP3 is pretty easy to do in Sonar X1. Go to File - Export - Audio and set everything to your liking and you are done.
Check out all the options you have in the export dialog window. 
You can try using Help menu instead of the non-existing printed manual. Or you can download PDF version of the complete manual here: http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2168001

Good luck.

Btw, I like X1 but I am  impatiently waiting for the upcoming bug-fixes. Snap to grid changing randomly, audio metronome output changing randomly, narrow console view "mess", stuttering audio when changing loop points or inserting  FXs or turning FXs on/off, audio snap broken.

This is not a bug but I wish CW would change this behavior back to what we have in 8.5: 

- in PRV view, right-clicking a note will delete it. In 8.5 an additional options menu for the note would appear. In X1 we have to hold CTRL while right-clicking a note to get that menu. I deleted so many notes unintentionally because of this :) I am using the menu far more often than deleting notes, so it would be more comfortable to have it right under the right-click. 

Best Regards,  
Marek

------------------------
  DAW: Sonar Platinum 64bit PE//C2D@3,0GHz//6GB 800MHz RAM//LCD 24'' Samsung //Focusrite Scarlett 8i6//Windows 10 Professional 64bit//Toontrack SD 2.4 x64//NI Scarbee Vintage Keys//NI Alicia's Keys//112db Redline Reverb//Voxengo plugins//EWQL Composer Cloud
pwal
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2909
Re:Open the Box or Return it? 2011/01/29 18:04:42 (permalink)
did you open the box yet?

list of stuff
Disturbed1
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 17
Re:Open the Box or Return it? 2011/01/29 18:14:03 (permalink)
Hi there,

I posted a thread today called X1: crashing like crazy. I was about ready to give up on X1. I even went out and bought a copy of Pro Tools 9. X1 is pretty buggy and unstable, but a lot of people seem to be able to run it without issue.  Not sure if you paid for a full version or an upgrade, but I'd say give it a go. You might be one of the lucky ones.
Come check out my thread if you have any issues. There are some pretty smart users around there today.

Good Luck.

D
shawnbulen
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 157
Re:Open the Box or Return it? 2011/01/29 18:22:00 (permalink)
I would say go for it.  

The safest thing to do, if you're able, is to install 8.5.3. and X1, just in case one of the X1 issues happens to bite you.  

I think the 'fresh install on a new PC' camp is having the fewest crash issues with X1 (I have not had one crash or hang).  You will probably be in that camp.  But having 8.5.3 as a fallback would be the wisest thing to do, if you're able. 

Dogmatic attachment to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for an appropriate structure.
 - Fripp
Crg
  • Total Posts : 7719
Re:Open the Box or Return it? 2011/01/29 18:40:26 (permalink)
The new computer is capable...i3, 1.5T, 4G, Windows 7 64 bit, and an old pair of speakers from my first computer. They still sound great, btw. You'll note that I haven't purchased a proper sound card / audio interface yet because my "old" one, an M--Audio Delta Audiophile 2496, was said to be not compatible with this machine The tech said that it crashed the new system every time he tried to install it, nor could he find drivers for it. So I'm also open to thoughts on sound cards. I'm leaning toward an external hub like the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, or something similar.

The new computer is capable of 32 bit operation. 4G on a 64 bit machine? That doesn't sound right. Most of the 64 bit machines have at least 8G. I haven't read the whole thread, but that is the obvious first thing to look at. At some point you're going to realize that DAW recording is bigger than the off the shelf computer makers acknowledge and it takes a dedicated machine to do it right. X1 is much larger than Sonar 4, much more complicated, and you're going to have to learn it. It's all up to you.

Craig DuBuc
buik
  • Total Posts : 7
Re:Open the Box or Return it? 2011/01/29 20:16:24 (permalink)
Jonsered

I bought X1, and...after installing, I moved to work only with Presonus Studio One pro.
Cakewalk has been ok for me many years, but not amazing. Studio One Is! Wait next X1b, then it has to be ok. If it is not....move forward. I waited too long...

And one thing about midi timing. I have found that there is something wrong about Sonar midi.
With Presonus midi recording working correctly. Quantize On or Off mode. I always felt that there is small midi delay with Sonar. With RME card :)

doubtless they will soon fix x1 so that it snaps to grid and doesnt make a weird sound when i stop and start playback, but after using sonar for five years for midi and audio recording, i used studio one for these tasks a few days ago and i was converted.  s1 is dreamy.

sonar is a solid program once they get the bugs right, but i am not one for respecting a company for initially putting out crap, even if that is the industry standard.  if the industry jumped off a bridge, would they?  this forum is a small representation of the time they have wasted.  i imagine it is in the millions of hours.  creating something that wastes more than a million hours of humanity's collective time is reprehensible to me.  its almost as bad as killing jesus.  its certainly worse than killing a regular baby, which is one of the worst things a body can do... and thats all i got to say about that.

but seriously guys.  put out a daw that doesnt snap to grid?  anyone defends that is a dam fool.  its just wrong.  they'll probably delete this post if they see it but i dont care.  i wanted to vent.
Supercomposer
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 259
Re:Open the Box or Return it? 2011/01/29 20:22:56 (permalink)
buik

buik
if the industry jumped off a bridge, would they? 

buik

its almost as bad as killing jesus.  its certainly worse than killing a regular baby

buik

a daw that doesnt snap to grid?  anyone defends that is a dam fool.  its just wrong.
LMFAO ! Best quotes ever!

ME is the Supercomposer, and all your base are belong to us (Yes, I mean Germany)

System Spec: CPU 2x X7560 Xeon 16-Core, 48 GIG Ram Kingston, Intel with Supermicro Workstation MP Boards, RME HDSPe, PNY Quadro 6000
buik
  • Total Posts : 7
Re:Open the Box or Return it? 2011/01/29 20:42:42 (permalink)
hahaha

lvb in the house!

i still love sonar tho.  i will always love sonar. 

rbowser
Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6518
Re:Open the Box or Return it? 2011/01/30 01:15:55 (permalink)
Some responses:

Buik - I have X1, still use Sonar 8.5 because I almost loathe X1, but I prefer things to be accurately reported and/or commented on.  "... put out a daw that doesnt snap to grid?..."  I don't know who did.  X1 snaps to grid just fine if you know what you're doing.

There - I said something-Again, in defense of X1.  I want it to look better, to work better, and so it's just sitting there on my machine unused in case it's ever fixed, but I still like things said about it to be accurate.

Crg - "...4G on a 64 bit machine? That doesn't sound right. Most of the 64 bit machines have at least 8G..."  I'm on a 64 machine with 4 gigs of ram.  Such set ups do exist.  It's a laptop spec - I'm on an HP Pavilion, the sort of computer that can have those kind of perhaps unlikely specs.

Back to Buik - a side note-- even That baby was "regular"--pretty sure.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1