Honest Opinions Wanted

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
vechung
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 818
Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/02/01 14:25:12 (permalink)
The track is mostly mono.  Try add some reverb or delay to widen the instruments.  You can try adding another guitar and pan them left and right.  For the voices, if you recorded them in individual tracks, you can pan the backup vocals 10-25% left or right to widen the sound.  Add a compressor on the guitar, add another one for the drum and bass.  Put the vocals into a bus and add another compressor onto it.  Use EQ on instruments to reduce muddle.

Some slight timing problem at 2:23 on the guitar. 

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
Sign of Jonah
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 17
Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/02/01 16:45:57 (permalink)
DJSur

Nice arrangement and instrumentation.
Instrumental performance has some glitches here and there that stand out.
Lead vocals are nice but pitchy at times, could do without the harmonizer.
Back vocals are out of tune in places and need work.
Overall the mix is uneven. The music is far back in the mix and the vocals kind of take over the track. 
Thank you, I'm working on all the little problems this was just a scratch recording. I had never written anything for other people to play so I needed a base line to work with, on your comment about the ( Harmonizer) did you mean harmonies? or does it sound like I'm using a harmonizer? I don't have one but I did double the vox to see what it sounded like, I've since backed them out and just use the extra vox on tags. Jim
Sign of Jonah
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 17
Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/02/01 16:52:08 (permalink)
vechung

The track is mostly mono.  Try add some reverb or delay to widen the instruments.  You can try adding another guitar and pan them left and right.  For the voices, if you recorded them in individual tracks, you can pan the backup vocals 10-25% left or right to widen the sound.  Add a compressor on the guitar, add another one for the drum and bass.  Put the vocals into a bus and add another compressor onto it.  Use EQ on instruments to reduce muddle.

Some slight timing problem at 2:23 on the guitar. 

Thanks Vechung,you are very kind, actually I have found a few timming problems, I have started to re-record the song using comp on the guitars and bass I am still having alot of problems with the mono sond no matter how I record I can only pan left or center if I pan right I lose all sound
DJSur
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 326
Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/02/03 19:55:36 (permalink)
Sign of Jonah

DJSur

Nice arrangement and instrumentation.
Instrumental performance has some glitches here and there that stand out.
Lead vocals are nice but pitchy at times, could do without the harmonizer.
Back vocals are out of tune in places and need work.
Overall the mix is uneven. The music is far back in the mix and the vocals kind of take over the track. 
Thank you, I'm working on all the little problems this was just a scratch recording. I had never written anything for other people to play so I needed a base line to work with, on your comment about the ( Harmonizer) did you mean harmonies? or does it sound like I'm using a harmonizer? I don't have one but I did double the vox to see what it sounded like, I've since backed them out and just use the extra vox on tags. Jim

Yes, the 'harmonizer' must be the double of the lead vocals. It fits, but I felt it sounded a bit too 'pop' for my tastes. For the vibe of Christian music, I tend to go towards more organic and less synthetic sounding vocals. Kind of drives home the truth of the Gospel :) Ah, yes, scratch recording - I look forward to the finished track and feel it will be pretty cool!

You Rock!

-Dan 

soundcloud   acidplanet   myspace

on-line fo-rum (n) - data warehouse that provides little to no ROI 
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1