A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
UnderTow
Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3848
Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/29 11:40:55 (permalink)
Keni

I don't know about anyone else but tho I didn't mention it here, I find it a PITA to have to select clips from the lower half only... I have ZERO use for the upper half action other than setting the now time... Both of these issues are painful to me and counter productive... It not only means more clicks, but more mouse movement in between and more tedious placement to select the clips...
Although I understand why they added the range selection ability, I have to agree with you. It might be occasionally useful but the number of times I select a clip far outweighs the number of times I need to select a partial clip. I think this is essential to GUI design: Not just whether something is logical from the perspective of each specific tool but which operation gets performed most. Combine that with the fact that you could already easily select clip portions by dragging along the time ruler or by using the ALT key modifier, and it becomes doubtful that the new behaviour really is such an improvement.

Anyway, I doubt they will change the upper/lower half click behaviour of the Smart Tool. An option to make clicking anywhere on the clip select the whole clip would be brilliant of course... I certainly expect Cakewalk to make the Now Time change when clicking on the bottom half. Anything less would be a huge disappointment.
When something is as constantly used as these tools, the difference of these extra clicks and mouse moves adds up to a lot of what should be unnecessary work...
Entirely agreed. When I sent my original suggestion's list for X1 to Brandon, he asked me which suggestions I found most important. My answer was the Edit Tools because they form one of the basis of how users interact with their DAW. It is crucial that this gets the utmost attention and gets the best possible implementation. Both because it is so important for every day DAW use but also because people get used to tools. If they need changing, and I really think they do, or if there is a better implementation for certain aspects of these tools, and I am convinced there is, they are best changed A.S.A.P.

So Noel, if you are reading, here is a very good item with which Cakewalk can prove that the customer's trust in Cakewalk is warranted.
...and please... Stop telling "us" that we have to learn the new way... there is no new way... We still need to locate now time and split or select clips... the job hasn't changed, only some of the roads have been made more difficult! I want a road repair team to fix this pothole!
I hate it when people tell us to just learn "the new way" when the new way is clearly less good than the old way. I hate it nearly as much as when people give as a reason that something is done a  certain way, it is because "we have always done it that way". Any aspect of a piece of software (or anything really) should be evaluated for it's own merits. Not because it is the new or the old way of doing things.

UnderTow

Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/29 11:58:26 (permalink)
rabeach

what I CAN'T do is locate and select in a single click...

Keni,
I think this post is why I suggested a method to achieve this. Best of luck to you.

Thanks... but I'm not looking for a method to achieve this, I'm looking for a fix so that "this" is not an issue! ;-)

Keni

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
Keni
Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/29 12:26:39 (permalink)
UnderTow

Keni

I don't know about anyone else but tho I didn't mention it here, I find it a PITA to have to select clips from the lower half only... I have ZERO use for the upper half action other than setting the now time... Both of these issues are painful to me and counter productive... It not only means more clicks, but more mouse movement in between and more tedious placement to select the clips...
Although I understand why they added the range selection ability, I have to agree with you. It might be occasionally useful but the number of times I select a clip far outweighs the number of times I need to select a partial clip. I think this is essential to GUI design: Not just whether something is logical from the perspective of each specific tool but which operation gets performed most. Combine that with the fact that you could already easily select clip portions by dragging along the time ruler or by using the ALT key modifier, and it becomes doubtful that the new behaviour really is such an improvement.

I don't get it... That feature was available in 8.5 as well as the locate ability/ If you simply click, it's now time is located/positioned and if you click-drag, the range is highlighted.... what's the problem?

And all this talk about how we still have the draw and select tools? they're less than a shadow of what they were or I wouldn't be having these issues...

Anyway, I doubt they will change the upper/lower half click behaviour of the Smart Tool. An option to make clicking anywhere on the clip select the whole clip would be brilliant of course... I certainly expect Cakewalk to make the Now Time change when clicking on the bottom half. Anything less would be a huge disappointment.

While not perfect, this would be acceptable for sure...

When something is as constantly used as these tools, the difference of these extra clicks and mouse moves adds up to a lot of what should be unnecessary work...
Entirely agreed. When I sent my original suggestion's list for X1 to Brandon, he asked me which suggestions I found most important. My answer was the Edit Tools because they form one of the basis of how users interact with their DAW. It is crucial that this gets the utmost attention and gets the best possible implementation. Both because it is so important for every day DAW use but also because people get used to tools. If they need changing, and I really think they do, or if there is a better implementation for certain aspects of these tools, and I am convinced there is, they are best changed A.S.A.P.

I couldn't agree more...

So Noel, if you are reading, here is a very good item with which Cakewalk can prove that the customer's trust in Cakewalk is warranted.
...and please... Stop telling "us" that we have to learn the new way... there is no new way... We still need to locate now time and split or select clips... the job hasn't changed, only some of the roads have been made more difficult! I want a road repair team to fix this pothole!
I hate it when people tell us to just learn "the new way" when the new way is clearly less good than the old way. I hate it nearly as much as when people give as a reason that something is done a  certain way, it is because "we have always done it that way". Any aspect of a piece of software (or anything really) should be evaluated for it's own merits. Not because it is the new or the old way of doing things.

Yeah... The automatically assume that it's all about working the way they're told.... When from my experiences (Especially with Cakewalk) is that we can have MORE than that if we make our needs know.... and if enough people agree it gets done that much sooner..!

Many of these issues bring some serious questions to mind. When Sonar first came out it was all about giving us the tools we had in the analog world of tape recording... Then the years of requesting and adjusting all the tools to make them more palitable to the users and their' needs...

Now they're trying to tell us that it's the new policy to have fewer ways of doing things? That's gonna alienate the users who depend on these things...

I could understand (maybe) if the old things got in the way of some super new ability that rocks the world (i.e. ALL the users), but then it's not, all I can do is complain and hope that the Bakers find an agreeable way to please us all...

So, I ask Noel and all the other Bakers to please keep this in mind and solve this dilemma... It's for the betterment of us all!

Many Thanks to all who have both agreed with me/us and disagreed... and those who simply are trying to help...

Keni

UnderTow

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
rabeach
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2703
Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/29 15:17:36 (permalink)
Keni

rabeach

Keni,
I think this post is why I suggested a method to achieve this. Best of luck to you.

Thanks... but I'm not looking for a method to achieve this, I'm looking for a fix so that "this" is not an issue! ;-)

Keni

No offense but rather unclear, to me at least, for you to post "what I CAN'T do is locate and select in a single click..." if you were not looking for a method. Hope X1b provides you with what you seek.
post edited by rabeach - 2011/01/29 15:18:47
Keni
Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/29 15:32:33 (permalink)
rabeach

Keni

rabeach

Keni,

Keni

No offense but rather unclear, to me at least, for you to post "what I CAN'T do is locate and select in a single click..." if you were not looking for a method. Hope X1b provides you with what you seek.

Hi rabeach...

No offense taken...

I 'am' looking for a method... not to replace what I used to do, but to be able to 'do' what I 'need' to do...

I can hope for a "fix" in X1b, but I don't expect it... I do expect to be complaining about this for a while before it gets addressed.... But I do hope I'm wrong about that! ;-)

Thanks for understanding...

Keni

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1