ATTN: Cakewalk .... I think this could be the answer we need / are looking for ....

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:ATTN: Cakewalk .... I think this could be the answer we need / are looking for .... 2011/01/31 20:27:08 (permalink)
Hi Seth,

I'm sincerely curious... is the native support leveraging FXpansion licensed technology? Similar in fashion to the way Radius algorithms are built in to AudioSnap?

best regards,
mike

Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
  • Total Posts : 2084
Re:ATTN: Cakewalk .... I think this could be the answer we need / are looking for .... 2011/01/31 20:30:46 (permalink)
No, VST support has not changed in X1. It's been the same since it became native way back in SONAR 4 or SONAR 5 (2004 or 2005).

From then through 8.5 the VST Settings was in one of the Options menus, still within the App. That Option menu simply moved to the new Unified Preferences menu in X1. The menu itself stayed the same as did its functionality.

When I said I wonder if you have an older version of SONAR installed and are using the old wrapper, I mean WAY older, like SONAR 2 or 3.

Once we made VST native to SONAR in 4 or 5 there was no reason to use the wrapper and all of the VST settings, file locations, etc. were done inside SONAR. This is still true today in X1.
Re:ATTN: Cakewalk .... I think this could be the answer we need / are looking for .... 2011/01/31 20:31:49 (permalink)
mike_mccue

Hi Seth,

I'm sincerely curious... is the native support leveraging FXpansion licensed technology? Similar in fashion to the way Radius algorithms are built in to AudioSnap?

best regards,
mike

No, because their technology was a wrapper. We don't wrap DX plugins to VST plugins anymore. Its all native now, written in via the VST spec.
The Maillard Reaction
Re:ATTN: Cakewalk .... I think this could be the answer we need / are looking for .... 2011/01/31 20:33:22 (permalink)
Thanks for clarifying.

best regards,
mike

Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4951
Re:ATTN: Cakewalk .... I think this could be the answer we need / are looking for .... 2011/01/31 20:33:45 (permalink)
Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk
]

No, VST support has not changed in X1. It's been the same since it became native way back in SONAR 4 or SONAR 5 (2004 or 2005).

From then through 8.5 the VST Settings was in one of the Options menus, still within the App. That Option menu simply moved to the new Unified Preferences menu in X1. The menu itself stayed the same as did its functionality.

When I said I wonder if you have an older version of SONAR installed and are using the old wrapper, I mean WAY older, like SONAR 2 or 3.

Once we made VST native to SONAR in 4 or 5 there was no reason to use the wrapper and all of the VST settings, file locations, etc. were done inside SONAR. This is still true today in X1.

Right now I have 8 and 8.5 on my machines. Both have a separate app and what seems to be a separate app that opens in Sonar. At least through 8.5 VST choosing folders and scanning is dealt with differently than other apps in what seems to be a separate app. Why does it seem that way if it is indeed native?
Re:ATTN: Cakewalk .... I think this could be the answer we need / are looking for .... 2011/01/31 20:36:38 (permalink)
Can you post a screenshot of this separate app you are seeing? I honestly don't understand what you are talking about. The picture would go a long way.
Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4951
Re:ATTN: Cakewalk .... I think this could be the answer we need / are looking for .... 2011/01/31 20:36:48 (permalink)
10Ten

Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk
]

It looks like he same old Cakewalk Plugin Manager we got with 4 or 5 to me. How is it not that?

post edited by 10Ten - 2011/01/31 20:38:27
Mully
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1545
Re:ATTN: Cakewalk .... I think this could be the answer we need / are looking for .... 2011/01/31 20:49:17 (permalink)
Sounds like 10Ten is talking about a pop up window??? Maybe...?

Also not sure exactly what we've lost in going to X1... I see only enhancements to workflow after spending more time with it. The smart tool looks quite useful and the new split method is a a VERY welcome improvement... excellent.

Cheers.

ASUS H270, i7-7700, JLM BA & 1290, LA2A Opto4, loads of guff.
Re:ATTN: Cakewalk .... I think this could be the answer we need / are looking for .... 2011/01/31 20:50:43 (permalink)
Now we're talking about two separate things. The Plugin Manager and the VST Setting page in Preferences are two separate things, although you can scan for VST plugins in both.

Also, the Plugin Manager is not a separate app but a feature of SONAR that is accessed within the app.

However, the plugin manager is primarily designed as the window for creating and managing plugin layouts, importing and exporting plugin presets, and showing or excluding certain plugins from SONAR.

As an ease of use addition you can scan VST plugins and access the scan path directories from this window, but that is not its primary function.

Additionally, the Plugin Manager can be floated like many other windows in SONAR, but it still is only accessible from within SONAR as it is a part of SONAR and is not an outside application.

Having said all that, the Plugin Manager has nothing to do with native VST support in SONAR since the Plugin Manager can deal with DX, DXi, VST, and VSTi at the same time.

With or without the Plugin Manager, SONAR has native VST support.
The Maillard Reaction
Re:ATTN: Cakewalk .... I think this could be the answer we need / are looking for .... 2011/01/31 20:55:31 (permalink)
"Additionally, the Plugin Manager can be floated"

Thank goodness... the dock squad didn't catch it yet. :-)

Jonbouy
  • Total Posts : 22562
Re:ATTN: Cakewalk .... I think this could be the answer we need / are looking for .... 2011/01/31 21:31:02 (permalink)

With or without the Plugin Manager, SONAR has native VST support.

Indeed, every other VST capable app. has to scan the VST's that are available to it in order to maintain current details of those plugins.

Sonar like Soundforge for example have separate scanners with others it is integrated into the app. itself but the scanning still needs to be carried out on a designated folder (or folders), most apps. too you can elect to scan at every boot time in exactly the same way as Sonar or choose to do it manually to suit.

Sonar has certainly been VST compliant since I joined the fold since V7
post edited by Jonbouy - 2011/01/31 21:35:07

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re:ATTN: Cakewalk .... I think this could be the answer we need / are looking for .... 2011/02/01 01:24:09 (permalink)
Can you post a screenshot of this separate app you are seeing? I honestly don't understand what you are talking about. The picture would go a long way.

Maybe what 10Ten is referring to is that the Cakewalk Plugin Manager and VST scanner are separate executables, although I can't imagine why that might be significant.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re:ATTN: Cakewalk .... I think this could be the answer we need / are looking for .... 2011/02/01 02:49:04 (permalink)
The plugin manager is a separate app. Its an EXE file in the Sonar shared utilities directory. It is not the native support for VST. It is a manager for all plugins. Even Cubase has a plugin manager. It can invoke a scan for VSTs but it itself in not the scanner nor is it offer native support. It simply manages plugins. And it has been improved in X1.

Best
John
TomFerraro
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 94
Re:ATTN: Cakewalk .... I think this could be the answer we need / are looking for .... 2011/02/01 07:52:19 (permalink)
This is how a lot software companys solicite input, and build loyalty. 

This is a great idea, and one that I'm sure many who participate in this user community would appreciate, having for cake.

It would be interestig to see how many of the suggestions get implemented per release, it's probally less then you'd expect.

Which brings up the question, if only 4 or 5 feature suggestions out of hundreds get implemented how will the community handle that?

Also this is quite an undertaking to put into place and maintain, will that diversion pay off, will it make us more loyal, will it make a bertter cake?  I think so.

I work for a company called National Instruments (NI), not Native Instruments ;-)  We have a graphical programming lauguage we develop and sell called LabVIEW. 

We do have one of these suggestions boards, and it's worked rather well for us.
http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/labviewideas

Peace all

Tom
post edited by TomFerraro - 2011/02/01 07:54:14

SONAR X1- Producer, Komplete 7, V-Studio-100, i7-950
three_eyed_otter
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2642
Re:ATTN: Cakewalk .... I think this could be the answer we need / are looking for .... 2011/02/01 10:28:55 (permalink)
TomFerraro

This is how a lot software companys solicite input, and build loyalty. 

This is a great idea, and one that I'm sure many who participate in this user community would appreciate, having for cake.

It would be interestig to see how many of the suggestions get implemented per release, it's probally less then you'd expect.

Which brings up the question, if only 4 or 5 feature suggestions out of hundreds get implemented how will the community handle that?

Also this is quite an undertaking to put into place and maintain, will that diversion pay off, will it make us more loyal, will it make a bertter cake?  I think so.

I work for a company called National Instruments (NI), not Native Instruments ;-)  We have a graphical programming lauguage we develop and sell called LabVIEW. 

We do have one of these suggestions boards, and it's worked rather well for us.
http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/labviewideas

Peace all

Tom
Hey Tom,

You get to be involved w/any of the FLL NXT sponsorship stuff by NI...My daughter just did her 1st. yr. in the FLL NXT competition & it was great.  Pass the word that NI's participation is well received.

have a good one
3Eo
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1