This Old Man

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
thepogue
Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2458
Re:This Old Man 2011/02/11 07:54:41 (permalink)
man...this was soooo wonderful. I loved the way TOM (This Ole Man)  weaved in and out of the tune!  You took lots of chances here Janet and they really paid off by way of a beautiful song...

loved it!
Janet
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8094
Re:This Old Man 2011/02/11 15:14:16 (permalink)
Thanks, Bub!  Yeah, I hear a small string quartet or something too.  But I almost always do.)  We'll see where the muse leads me.  Two new pieces just jumped into my head this morning.  I sure wich I could write them as fast as they come to me....  (IOW...I'll probably be off on something new soon.) 

Jimmy, I think if you ever quit commenting around here, I'll just have to quit writing music.  :(  Thank you so much for your comments.  As always, you make some very valid points.  Honestly, I can't even play a song anymore without thinking about what you would say about it.  :-)  And yes, I guess my tunes can get repetitive at times, because maybe I'm playing more of an accompaniment instead of an interesting melody.  I'll definitely look at those places you mention.  You'd be surprised how much I changed already because I knew you'd mention some of these things.  Obviously I still have a few things to learn.  :-) 

I think maybe more emotion comes thru here because I was deliberately trying to portray various emotions.  I should aim for that more I suppose.  Glad you liked the performance that much.  I'm not sure why it's different, but I'm tickled that you liked it. And thanks so much for your comments.  I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help and insight! 

Thanks Scott.  Yeah, I agree about the strings.  :-)

Well thank you, Mark.  I really appreciate that. :-)

Thanks Mark.  I know it's not your favorite, but I appreciate you listening.  I'll try to do one more in your ballpark again...sometime. :-) 

Wow, Tom, thanks!  I'm sure glad you liked it.  :-)
vechung
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 818
Re:This Old Man 2011/02/11 17:10:23 (permalink)
Great song as always.  Nice and with lots of feeling. 

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
Janet
Re:This Old Man 2011/02/11 18:15:25 (permalink)
Thank you, Vicente.  I appreciate that!

Jimmy, I changed most of those places where I played the same note several times in a row.  Great call!! At 4:05, I have no idea what's happening there. I can't get those notes to sustain for anything.  I've never had that problem, so it will probably take more digging to figure out the issue.  :(  At 1:05, I decided to keep those 1/16 notes there.  At least for now.  Thanks again...I like it more now. :-)
jimmyman
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2193
Re:This Old Man 2011/02/11 20:15:20 (permalink)

Those changes you made where there were several of the same notes in a row
at about 1:00 really enhanced that. The place that I spoke of in regards to the
left and right hand seeming to be out of time with each other (1:05) was either
incorrect on my part or the song got shifted a bit because now I hear it at 1:07.
Either way I don't notice that issue now because the changes that you made
in that area really smoothed things out. It sounds like you didn't make a lot of
changes there but what you did made a big difference (to my ears).

I was noticing a "hum" in this song before but didn't give that much attention.
It's level seems to come and go. Sounds like maybe a 60 cycle hum or
one octave above that. It gets stronger (or more noticeable)  coming in
at around 4:00 and seems to fade away or less volume at about 4:13.
Most noticeable from 4:06 to 4:12.

I just thought I'd mention that in case it's something that you might know the
"cause of". Whether or not it's an "issue" to be concerned with I don't know.

Anyway the tweaks made a difference and it sounds good. I look forward to
hearing your next tune.

Janet
Re:This Old Man 2011/02/11 22:50:54 (permalink)
Thanks Jimmy!  Yeah, I didn't cut off the first 2 seconds with Audacity this time.  Sorry...I guess I should have since you were listening for specific places.  I'm glad you like it better. I certainly do.  I hope I can grow ears like yours some day.   I'm noticing that hum now too.  I'm not sure where it's coming from.  I just know it's not in Sonar...
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1