Helpful ReplyCarving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers)

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/03/12 13:25:28 (permalink)
Danny, the walky-talky telephone was *supposed to be* artsy; I use it a lot in mixes to keep the male hyper-dominance 'at bay', to relate a message, as a backing counter, and/or to compliment rich female vocs.  Consider all the British pop like in "Video killed the radio star", "Sgt Pepper", "Uncle Albert", "Mr. Blue Sky".
(... I'm currently tweaking Arriba based on your most excellent ponderings)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On older 70's pop albums I've oft noted inconsistencies of vocs that I've, personally, found awkward.

A band may employ lush choirs one song (or sections) and then skip those sweet backing choirs in other pop songs or sections.  For example:

Diana Ross might inconsistently monopolize one song or section that the Supreme's needed to compliment.

ELO might have inconsistently afforded more signature lush choirs in one song or section, but not in other songs or sections. 

Just my ponderings of course (I'm more guilty than anyone).  So, I've thought it an aspiration to try to produce albums that are more consistent with signature vocs, backings, radio-vocs, children, choirs, etc.
post edited by Philip - 2011/03/12 13:27:23

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/03/13 13:41:04 (permalink)
Ok that's great Philip, at least I took the stuff as you intended it. So no brother, no shreaks or anything out of place on your vocals at all. I thought everything you did had a purpose and the effected male vocals were a nice change and fit spot on.

Totally with you on the backing vocal comments as well and understand perfectly. Me personally, I just try to be careful with octave type vocals especially when it's a male/female thing because if you Melodyne them or V-Vocal them, they sort of sound strange even if you just use it lightly. It's really subjective when you think about it. Some tunes, the octave is the way to go...in others, I like a simple harmony especially when it's male/female at once because it's not such a drastic tonal change. You figure, the female voice is going to have a brighter, higher tone just due to there being a female singing unless it's one with a deep soul sound. When we octave the male voice with a higher voice female, the space in between can sound a bit drastic. Again though, all subjective and just my take. I thought you did a great job on all those parts. Just a few things were slightly wavery...but again, one voice is using vibrato, the other is not so that adds a bit to the waver as well.

At the end of the day, you did a pro job on this mix and you should be quite proud. I really didn't know what to expect. You somewhat painted a sketchy picture to me when we were talking about all this stuff...but hearing it really surprised me. Not that I didn't think you were a good engineer or anything, I just didn't know what to expect from hearing you talk about the issues. Isn't it amazing how we hear something that may bother us, and others just don't notice it? It's good to be hard on yourself though...as long as it doesn't deter your progress. That's one of the bad things about doing lots of stuff by yourself. You get so close to things, you either beat yourself up or sometimes miss the obvious due to being too close to the material. Sometimes we just can't win, ya know? LOL! Safe to say you have a "winner" with this one Philip. Again, excellent job. I'm not just telling you that either...if there were blatant issues I felt were important to you, I'd not be doing you any justice letting them slide on by. So no worries there....you did really well with this. Total thumbs up and worth submitting to the songs part of this forum for others to enjoy your work if you see fit. :)

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/03/13 20:26:56 (permalink)
Danny,

You're too kind.  I fixed vox levels and the mix per se based on your exquisite ears and perfect thoughts (which seems so much better now, to my hypersensitive crony ears)

1) Added parallel compression to the drums and velocity transients in portions.  Also I raised the drums per se (a dcbl or 2)

2) Julianna's samples I toned down 0.6 dcbs per se (and close to 2 dcbls more where I had flaunted her stuff) ... and I increased the HPF/rolloff on her samples slightly (to filter out her 'vibrato fundamentals' slightly). 

Somehow those 2 changes indirectly strengthened the weaker male counter vocs, backing vocs, and co-dominant lead male vocs (if that makes sense).  There became much less competitive shrieking per se (that is so common in hip-hop) ... and a much smoother balance, IMHO.

After testing on different systems, I swore today I would not touch this ever again.  Its finished and perfect to my ears at the end of the day.  That is a very rare thing for me to declare.

I won't be reposting this on Song's Forum (which helped it a couple months ago), as I feel it is now concluded, though I did repost it on SC.  Also, this thread stirred up a lot of re-listens.

Some other subjective ponderings for Vox artists and producers:

1) Alla Prima vox songs, like alla prima oil painted portrait sketches are extremely difficult to pull off successfully in today's lush soundscapes.

2) The days of Peter-Paul-and-Mary folk sketches, while we all aspire for successful (rap, rock, or country) sketches, they are becoming an increasingly obsolete paradigm.  I think I understand now why many of us are so extremely offended by country music.  Like Grandma-Moses in art, the naive hyper-simplicity is a mockery of you skilled artists.  JMO, IMHO.

3) 'Tis the groove meister, oftentimes, that makes or breaks the vox art and production.  Quick vox sketches seem more successful (to my ears) with a pre-determined groove, producer loop, beatz, etc.

4) Similarly, judiciously raising groove elements, drums and/or percussives, might help redeem a crowded cacaphonic mix ... though I don't know why.  And that may seem counter-intuitive, as many mixes start with melody and lyrics.  Hence, the last thing on the vox artist's mind becomes groove solidarity and/or groove enhancements ... to glue the vox-scapes into the symphony.

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/03/13 20:50:13 (permalink)
Good post there Philip and well said on your comments. The only thing I might slightly disagree on (which you'll understand once I explain it lol) is with the country music comment. Unfortunately for my old, 80's rocker mentality, the new country of today (whether it be considered cliche or boring, repetitious, familiar or even predictable) to me it's the new sound of commercial rock. (This post may get a bit off topic...but it's worth explaining it a bit I feel.)

They use all the big drum sounds, well produced instrumentation, and the greatest of all, they aren't afraid to use effects. The appearance of more modern sounding distorted guitars are popping up as well. Take a tune like "She's Country" or that Rascal Flatts cover of "Life is a Highway". The production in those tunes blow me away. As an engineer, producer, I'd much rather record and mix bands like the aforementioned than any hard rock or metal band of today because all they really use is over-compression, loud volume and the stuff at times just doesn't say anything to me. The musicians are great, but the songs and production don't really speak to me like the stuff I hear in the more modern country music of today. Some pretty incredible vocalists as well as guitarists, fiddle players etc too that I enjoy.

Though I would agree that musicians and a few other people may be disgusted with it for whatever reason they feel, I'm a sucker for a big hook no matter what form of topping may be on it. I of course would never push my opinion on anyone else and totally respect the feelings of others regarding stuff like that. I'm just so into hooks and production, nothing else really matters to me.

To go off topic even more lol, what I'm really sad about is how music no longer takes us on a journey. Remember when you bought a classic rock album like the Doobie Brothers or Boston, The Who, Led Zep etc, it took you on a journey and kind of told a story? Like the music was deep...it was often times (other than the hits that may have made airplay) unpredictable and it just...man, you'll be able to probably explain it better than me because you're a much better writer. LOL! You know what I mean though. I just miss that whole thing we had with vinyl, classic rock and how the tunes really spoke to me.

As that stuff sort of faded away, I got totally into the whole hook thing. So much so, that part of my musicality has suffered because of it in my years and I've attempted to do something about that with the current stuff I'm working on. I still try my best to include the big hook, but I'm trying not to bubble gum it and make is so predictable while adding more musicality behind it. That's probably the main issue most musicians have with country music. It's the same arrangement done over and over...cookie cutter type tunes that just follow the same formula. Though that can get old, that stuff does sell really well because the majority of buyers will always be common folks that don't listen to music as we do, ya know? I've come to respect anyone that can make a honest buck at this no matter what style they do. I used to hold grudges against artists who I felt got a bit too much acclaim that really didn't offer anything other than being "unique". Though "unique" is a good quality to have as an artist, I feel the word is now in a sense the replacement for the word "great" and is also a cop out at times. "So and so is so unique" yet when you really analyze that person, (kinda like Bob Dylan as a singer) the performance is really bad and "unique" is the scape-goat.

Anyway...sorry to go totally off topic...I just felt that was worth mentioning. Yeah, I'd say you're done with this tune and all the comments and changes you made as well as your explanations, are completey justified. It sure is a great feeling to listen to one of your songs and say to yourself "wow, I can't hear anything wrong with this and there's nothing I would change!" That there, is success. :) All the best to you Philip...thanks again for this awesome conversation.
post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/03/13 20:53:41

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
tunekicker
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1261
Re:Carving the Mix for the Vox (Artists and Producers) 2011/03/25 01:12:44 (permalink)
I tend to find that processing that adds analog tone and warmth to my voice and makes it sound less digital, sterile, etc helps a lot with getting it to sit right in the mix.

I'm a serious UAD fan so I have to apologize ahead of time for the shameless plug, but the Pultec Pro, Fairchild, 1176LN, Fatso, and Studer A800 can each be very nice on vocals when used to taste.

The Studer really takes the edge off and the Fatso adds some nice oomph.

Ok- shameless plug over.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1