New Folk Metal song...i think my catchiest one yet

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
mgh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8594
Re:New Folk Metal song...i think my catchiest one yet 2011/04/13 00:19:31 (permalink)
Grant - So d'ya like it?!! No, go on, tell me straight! NP dude, if we all liked the same thing, it'd be a boring boring world! i'll do a nie smooth 70s rock tune just for you one day! Thanks for stopping by....

James - LOL! Thanks for dipping your toe in the freezing waters of extreme metal!

Vicente - well, folk metal is quite big at the moment, bands like Ensiferum, Korpiklaani, Turisas and a million others...mostly to do with the sing-along bits, clean interludes, and use of more trad instruments like accordian, flute, violin etc...many thanks for the listen!

Rick -
"Of Fire and Flame"...aka 'The Perilous Adventures of an A Minor Chord That Stumbled Into Mark Haigh's Fervent Imagination'

hilarious! i love it! that'll teach Am!

Thee Ed - I hope i Am forgiven...shameless plugger!

Combo - yes, there is some CoF in this track! Good ears! i love their early stuff, and even the most recent album isn't bad! Thanks for stopping by!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
ohgrant
Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3966
Re:New Folk Metal song...i think my catchiest one yet 2011/04/13 07:42:07 (permalink)
mgh

Grant - So d'ya like it?!! No, go on, tell me straight! NP dude, if we all liked the same thing, it'd be a boring boring world! i'll do a nie smooth 70s rock tune just for you one day! Thanks for stopping by....

Would be a boring place indeed, thanks for understanding, the 70's tune is not necessary if it's something you wouldn't desire doing, but if you're taking requests, something like Overkill or Metal Church would fit into your vocal style, and I would really enjoy.

Me

Jonbouy
  • Total Posts : 22562
Re:New Folk Metal song...i think my catchiest one yet 2011/04/13 16:49:47 (permalink)
I thoroughly enjoyed this.

To my mind it got a bit bogged down in places but the tension all seemed to finally resolve through that excellent outtro.

I have no reference for comparisons with this genre but it does have plenty enough drama for me to sense that it would go down well with a bunch fans.

Really nicely played and put together too.

I don't know much about it but doing this kind of vocal treatment but would it be more appealing to make a larger than life character out of the singer as narrator and really go to town with it to take it to another level?  I'm just thinking out loud here.
post edited by Jonbouy - 2011/04/13 16:55:05

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
mgh
Re:New Folk Metal song...i think my catchiest one yet 2011/04/13 17:53:57 (permalink)
ohgrant

mgh

Would be a boring place indeed, thanks for understanding, the 70's tune is not necessary if it's something you wouldn't desire doing, but if you're taking requests, something like Overkill or Metal Church would fit into your vocal style, and I would really enjoy.

Grant, i already did! Go to my Soundcloud page and listen to '1984', that's pure thrash in the style of Megadeth and Metal Church!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
whack
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1188
Re:New Folk Metal song...i think my catchiest one yet 2011/04/13 18:20:14 (permalink)
ha, what an intro! dont usually listen to this genre,but this is good.gotta love that meaty sound you got in that bass kick.nice to have bit of dynamics in it too.

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
Re:New Folk Metal song...i think my catchiest one yet 2011/04/14 03:43:20 (permalink)
Well, its late.

A bit simpler and narrative: Strings combine with electrics sweetly ... in a dreamy fashion. 

Then the devil destroys everything ... which is best left for the metal lovers (until I understand or appreciate the lyrics ... as I have no idea of how to interpret all the tongue speaking ...)

The 2nd section might have been more inviting, I suppose, if I hadn't had such a bad day (a death of a friend, a lawsuit, my wife's birthday, etc.)

Guitars strings and percussives weld together nicely as the pomp becomes stronger and stronger.

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
Janet
  • Total Posts : 8094
Re:New Folk Metal song...i think my catchiest one yet 2011/04/15 17:53:42 (permalink)
Plenty of variety in this one and you've definitely got the musical chops!
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re:New Folk Metal song...i think my catchiest one yet 2011/04/15 23:29:41 (permalink)
ha ha I made it through this song on my second listen
the first time I went to listen to your song was a day or two ago
it was around 4:20  in the morning during a typical Pacific Northwest after hours evening , a real overcast sky w a moon that was hiding behind the clouds and real wet
I was grooving on the intro and  when that  Metal Voice came in I went all New York and started looking for a baseball bat to defend myself with
well today's a new day & i figured I would give this a listen early in the evening  w out all the herbal enhancements ...

yeah , i do think this has an epic quality going on w the music
all the musical transitions & motifs were very good
i liked the contrasts between the cleans & over driven sections
the guitars sound very good
at times the tune reminded me of something that  Yngwie  would shred over ( great player )
the only thing that detracted my enjoyment of song was the Monster voice
....to be fair ...& honest
I would probably enjoy   playing in a band on stage w a vocalist & a show that featured that type of vocals
that genre of  music always has a lot of intense energy , features a lot of fun to play high gain guitar & i would love to play w a heavy handed octopus on drums again ....
one thing is for sure though , I wouldn't want to have to share a room w a vocalist of that type of  genre ..if he started talking or singing is his sleep ..Lord  onlys knows what will happen

Kenny

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2011/04/15 23:39:01

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

mcourter
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3442
Re:New Folk Metal song...i think my catchiest one yet 2011/04/17 20:56:39 (permalink)
Folk metal, you crack me up! I like the change of pace at about 1:05 or so, folk with a classical flavor. Spectacular drums. And I love the clean, clear, distinct vocals. Solid guitar work too. Good job, Mark.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
Unbridled Enthusiasm
 My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
Tap
Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4536
Re:New Folk Metal song...i think my catchiest one yet 2011/04/17 21:46:21 (permalink)
Wow, this sure is interesting. Really great stuff! I really like the break. Really sweet playing going on here. Quite Ethereal.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

ohgrant
Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3966
Re:New Folk Metal song...i think my catchiest one yet 2011/04/18 07:38:04 (permalink)
mgh

ohgrant

mgh

Grant, i already did! Go to my Soundcloud page and listen to '1984', that's pure thrash in the style of Megadeth and Metal Church!

I like it much more I can say. You had my foot tapping. I'm not a fan of growling but other growling bands have tricked me into liking it when they use a structure that starts softer then builds and gets progressively heavier. Not the other way around. It would be great to hear more of that Metal Church type singing you do that very well. Also it seems like I'm always waiting until about the time other songs are done before any soloing comes in, I would like to hear more soloing sections throughout the songs. The biggest thing for me with this type of Metal is not the growling. It's that drum beat that sounds like the bass pedal is a machine gun, I'm not a fan of that beat and think it should only be used at the end of a song as the song builds tension. Once again you certainly have the talent to be a great entertainer, but I've always said every artist and entertainer is his own worst enemy, myself included. Sometimes I ask myself, in a live situation, am I playing what folks want to hear or am I playing what I think they should be listening to. In any case kudos for sticking to it in the hardest genre to keep up with IMO.

Me

mgh
Re:New Folk Metal song...i think my catchiest one yet 2011/04/18 12:22:29 (permalink)
Jon, Cian, Philip, Janet, Kenny, Mark, James - many thanks for stopping by. i wanted to have another go at the ending especially, but haven't had a chance what with Easter coming up and stuff. So, it will have to wait. But i do appreciate all of you stepping outside your normal musical comfort zone!

Grant - thanks for listening to 1984, i thought that would be more up your street. I did enjoy doing that, so if more thrash licks flow, i will roll with it!

evadianepug
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4477
Re:New Folk Metal song...i think my catchiest one yet 2011/04/18 20:57:31 (permalink)
Well, I wrote this whole thing and the forum just locked right up and I couldn't post.  Here's the short version.  Your stuff reminds me of how it was listening to Pink Floyd in the mid 60s.  it was out of the box, THANK GOD.  You're out of the box.   Nicely done.  I am not a fan of the "Black Metal Vocal Sound" but I liked everything else and you did do a GOOD black metal voice! :-)

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
THE PUGTONES
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
SonarX3
Bob Oister
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2766
Re:New Folk Metal song...i think my catchiest one yet 2011/04/25 04:41:47 (permalink)
Hi, Mark,

How are you, buddy?  Hope you had a great holiday weekend!

After the forum crash and recovery, I'm glad that I wandered over to page two to find this vibrant metal gem!

This is a very creative, well written piece of music, with a great rock opera feel, and dynamite performances.  Great guitar playing and vocal work, and certain parts of it definitely reminded me of System of a Down.

Excellent production, my friend!
Bob
LpMike75
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1621
Re:New Folk Metal song...i think my catchiest one yet 2011/04/26 16:53:07 (permalink)
Hey MGH-
    Neat tune, I really like the mix, I know it can be tough to get clarity between the bass and the guitars when they are tuned low, you did a great job.  I'm not really into the death metal vocals but my buddy is always playing that stuff for me so I have aquired an appreciation for them.  I also like the music and guitar tone for the clean solo.  It was different than what I might of expected but worked out great.
    The guitar work at the end was also great.  Excellent production and composition in my opinion. 
Speaking of Metal Church I have to share one of my favorites from my teenage years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYWbMZASpFU

- Mike
Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
Ian Ferrin
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 527
Re:New Folk Metal song...i think my catchiest one yet 2011/05/03 08:26:07 (permalink)
Very creative Mark.  Sounds like a cinematic adventure to me.  It certainly has lots of different elements.  The guitar work is pretty amazing.

Peace,

Ian

"Everyone is a 'believer' - even if you don't believe, that's a belief" - Me

Songs - (at soundclick)
Sonar Platinum, Native Instruments Komplete 10u, Korg N1R X2 (for some reason I still love this old synth).
notnat
Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5236
Re:New Folk Metal song...i think my catchiest one yet 2011/05/03 23:18:56 (permalink)
You just keep getting better and better... steller production... now be a good boy, and go to church... lol

Great work...
julibee
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2826
Re:New Folk Metal song...i think my catchiest one yet 2011/05/04 15:06:47 (permalink)
Ears...Sweetly....bleeding....

Dethklok is jealous.

She who must be obeyed. ***New and Improved with a Scarlett 8i6!***
Soundcloud     www.juliannamcduffie.com
57Gregy
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re:New Folk Metal song...i think my catchiest one yet 2011/05/06 22:02:50 (permalink)
Nicely done, Mark
I like how one of the tags is 'folk'. Someone searching for new folk songs would have a heart attack just seeing that waveform on their screen.
And you look so innocent in your avatar pic.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:New Folk Metal song...i think my catchiest one yet 2011/05/06 22:17:43 (permalink)
hey mark!  what a journey this one is!  I have to agree that it is very "epic!"  love the sweet guitar stuff!

the death metal vocals are not my cuppa, but no biggie.  you're a great artist!  this is great work!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
darylcrowley
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2700
Re:New Folk Metal song...i think my catchiest one yet 2011/05/06 22:35:41 (permalink)
Powerful.  I felt as though I was entering Mordor.

Greaty dynamics and smooth.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
Windows 7 64bit Professional
Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
http://www.darylcrowley.com/
SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re:New Folk Metal song...i think my catchiest one yet 2011/05/10 18:29:54 (permalink)

Hi Mark

I love it - man, you are continuing to push the boundaries with every new tune.

Sweet

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

mgh
Re:New Folk Metal song...i think my catchiest one yet 2011/05/11 16:35:13 (permalink)
the song that refuses to shuffle off gracefully...many thanks again to you all for the comments! i have been away for a few days but will be back to critiquing your stuff this week! Cheers!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1