Factory Yoyo presents: Sub Rosa NEWER MIX 6-3

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Sub Rosa NEW MIX 5-16 2011/05/26 14:04:09 (permalink)
Ah!  Now the hook "nothings getting over you" is hitting home!  Weeks ago I didn't catch that.

A most excellent classic rock anthem to my ears; TBH, to me, this is right up there with Bob Oister's latest anthem, though I confess, I prefer Bob's 'new' mixing techniques for this excellent genre (where he tunnels space for the lead and has guitars 'out-of-the-speakers')

A most excellent anthem, my friend!

Regarding Bob: I've hopingly invited him to help me with guitar samples on 2 upcoming songs (as I'm fed up with talk-cheap unfaithful guitarists that flood our forums).  Hopefully God will grant me the axe-man -- ha ha!

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
jamesyoyo
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3460
Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Sub Rosa NEW MIX 5-16 2011/05/28 15:38:30 (permalink)
guitartrek

jamesyoyo

You know, since I am constantly genre-flipping, situations like this is why I rarely ever record anything but a dry guitar/bass signal, and then re-amp to fit it in the mix.  This time I recorded both the main guitar and the bass signal from the PODX3 fully wet with amp and effects, and it has proven to be incredibly difficult to fit them in without swamping everything else.

Thanks everyone for the constructive crits on this...will attempt yet another mix later on this week.

Very cool tune - I only listened to the 2nd mix and it sounded good to me.  I like the tone and style of the vocals.  Interesting what you say about recording with the wet signal.  The delay on the guitars may be a little heavy, but if recorded wet it's hard to adjust. 

A friend of mine who owns a studio and who is a fabulous guitarist (and excellent engineer) records his guitars wet.  It works for him I beleive because he knows exactly the sound he is looking for and what will work.  For me it's different.  For the last couple of years I'm recording dry guitar signals only - it seems the most flexible - (and I don't exactly know what I'm looking for).  So based on your experience with this one will you go back to recording dry?
For sure. I will also record it wet but on another track. It seems the wet recording always sounds better than the dry with the VST, but you have to love the sound, because that is all you got going forward. It also doesn't help that I don't always know what sound I am going for, and I am really not that good a guitar player!

marcos69
Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4950
Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Sub Rosa NEW MIX 5-16 2011/05/28 22:04:09 (permalink)
James, awesome song my friend.

Something about the first mix I like better than the remix is the warmth.  Second mix has better bass but the guitars seem more upfront and a bit colder.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
LpMike75
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1621
Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Sub Rosa NEW MIX 5-16 2011/05/28 22:21:59 (permalink)
    Overall a cool song with good production. In my opinion I have heard better production from you. I think the vox were a little too low and awash in the mix. The FooFighters definately have big loud guitars on a very compressed mix so that doesnt leave alot of room for vocals in that style anyhow.

Maybe it has something to do with the sound of the drums..maybe verb or mix or drum line..not sure, it's just something minor somewhere that seems to be holding it back from an 'awesome' production (in my opinion of course)

Drum lines, "Oh ---drum fill-- Sub Rosa.  I think there is room there for a good drummer do something slightly more interesting.  

These are just minor things of course as you asked for opinions.  Overall I think it was well written and produced, I just think you, with your writing and mixing skills, could bring this one up a notch if you keep working on it.  Of course...isnt that the case with all songs?? 

Entertaining song, thanks for sharing. 

- Mike
Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
jamesyoyo
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3460
Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Sub Rosa NEW MIX 5-16 2011/06/04 12:03:27 (permalink)
Mark, Mike:

Thanks.

Here's a new mix, using the new 1176 and LA-2A emulations VSTs from IK Multimedia. Let me know if it works any better.

Sub Rosa

rockinrobby
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1265
Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Sub Rosa NEW MIX 5-16 2011/06/04 18:25:12 (permalink)
Wow, I thought the 1st was pretty awesome, the 2nd was much better, I just listened to the 3rd. I can hear the vox better in the 3rd? But I think maybe I like the drums better in the 2nd? I listened several times to #2 and 3. I could be mistaken, they're both very good.

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
LpMike75
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1621
Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Sub Rosa NEW MIX 5-16 2011/06/05 03:29:55 (permalink)
I definately liked the Vox level better in this last mix, seemed clearer

- Mike
Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
Bob Oister
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2766
Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Sub Rosa NEW MIX 5-16 2011/06/06 04:10:24 (permalink)
Hi, James,

I'm back again for a second listen to all three mixes.  I think personally, I'm going to stick with Mix #2, the one from 5/16 as my favorite.  It just seems fuller and warmer sounding to me than the others.

By the way, just thought I'd mention that I really love the feel of the guitar solo on this song, good stuff!

Have a good one, buddy!
Bob
dlogan
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2544
Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Sub Rosa NEW MIX 5-16 2011/06/06 11:10:15 (permalink)
Certain individual elements sound better in mix #3 - but I agree that overall mix #2 sounds the best. It's most cohesive IMO.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1