Overcoming lyrical blocks?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
BENZOFOG
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 108
Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/28 16:39:16 (permalink)
I wasn't sure if I should add to this most of the people I have dealt with from a colaboration stand point is quite annoying...NO ONE LIKES WRITING WITH ME...I tell you how I come up with everysong I've ever written. I lay down a mood track! Right I put myself emotionally and physically in the mood...Drum Track, Guitar track then i go back and I absolutely puke the words out! Thats right I don't right my songs down till afterwords...I had a terrible child hood I've done this with words hidden in notebooks for 34 years. I have been asked how did you come up with that? I always say let it go!!! Try it! Lay down a bass track lay down you instrument of choice...And let go!!! Heck practice driving down the road with a recorder. The best songs in the world come from the heart. The ones with the most confussion parts or rhymes I totally get!!! Not to brag everyone!!! I get it! I know I don't get alot of response from my post. But the ones I have gives me a great feeling inside. Thank you to those of you...I'm sorry to ramble and I know i'm a terrible grammatically correct writer...Just remember in my opinion let go!!!!
Danny 
jamesyoyo
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3460
Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/28 17:21:47 (permalink)
Serenarules

Thanks, I gave it a try and for some reason none of the database driven functions worked. But I took a clue from the premise and used the thesaurus at websters.com. Here's what I came up with. Thanks to all who gave input and advice, as well as those who posted lyrical suggestions. You will each be mentioned in the final credits when I put it all together and post it on the tube.

Beautiful
---------
[Verse]
when (I first saw you) our eyes first met 
my pulse began to rise
(then) but my convictions failed
and left me compromised
you are all that I want
you are all that I need
so please listen true
to these words that I sing
[Chorus]
you are so beautiful
just like the Autumn leaves
you shine just like the stars at night
when you grace the silver screen
[Verse]
when I look at you
(I get)these thoughts in my brain
(and) this pain my heart 
(is driving) drives me insane
you are all that I want
you are all that I need
so please bare your soul
[Chorus]
you are so beautiful
[Verse]
with every passing day
these longings (only) increase
you've got me down on my knees
won't you be my release
you are all that I want
you are all that I need
so please free your mind
[Chorus]
you are so beautiful
Nice stuff. I made some changes; stuff in parenthesis should be deleted. Unless you are doing rap or hard rock, less words the better.

Another thing that really helped me is not to write in proper grammar. Slightly thread the connections between the phrases, don't make them ironclad and obvious.

Though reading this, there seems to be something missing: I assume this is an ode of unrequited love between the singer and some nameless movie star? If so, it strikes me as just slightly creepy. Perhaps exploit that creepy angle a bit more. That would make it more interesting.

jamesyoyo
Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/28 17:27:30 (permalink)
Double post. Is it just me or does the Forum software really stink these days?
post edited by jamesyoyo - 2011/08/28 17:50:41
timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/28 18:59:44 (permalink)
my eyes saw you there
my body noticed too
hesitation so overpowering
scared to make a move

not much left if you're not there

Beautiful,,,,, is all I see
Beautiful,,,,, just like Autumn leaves
more than shining stars
more than movie stars
The silver screen would be so lucky
Beautiful,,,,,,, You are.

Your glance it goes right thru me
I wonder in my brain
there is a pain
dull and plain
just wanting to know
what is in your soul

Beautiful,,,,, is all I see
Beautiful,,,,, just like Autumn leaves
more than shining stars
more than movie stars
The silver screen would be so lucky
Beautiful,,,,,,, You are.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Metaphasic
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 262
Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/29 04:42:22 (permalink)
jamesyoyo

Serenarules

Thanks, I gave it a try and for some reason none of the database driven functions worked. But I took a clue from the premise and used the thesaurus at websters.com. Here's what I came up with. Thanks to all who gave input and advice, as well as those who posted lyrical suggestions. You will each be mentioned in the final credits when I put it all together and post it on the tube.

Beautiful
---------
[Verse]
when (I first saw you) our eyes first met 
my pulse began to rise
(then) but my convictions failed
and left me compromised
you are all that I want
you are all that I need
so please listen true
[Chorus]
you are so beautiful
[Verse]
when I look at you
(I get)these thoughts in my brain
(and) this pain my heart 
(is driving) drives me insane
you are all that I want
you are all that I need
so please bare your soul
[Chorus]
you are so beautiful
[Verse]
with every passing day
these longings (only) increase
you've got me down on my knees
won't you be my release
you are all that I want
you are all that I need
so please free your mind
[Chorus]
you are so beautiful
Nice stuff. I made some changes; stuff in parenthesis should be deleted. Unless you are doing rap or hard rock, less words the better.

Another thing that really helped me is not to write in proper grammar. Slightly thread the connections between the phrases, don't make them ironclad and obvious.

Though reading this, there seems to be something missing: I assume this is an ode of unrequited love between the singer and some nameless movie star? If so, it strikes me as just slightly creepy. Perhaps exploit that creepy angle a bit more. That would make it more interesting.
Interesting changes. I'll have to see if I can sing that along with the melody that evolved from my own take. And yes, it is a bit creepy, though it is written with a very Depeche Mode feel to it, so that part was be design. I just don't do 'happy' very well, and everything I write is in a minor key. 

RE: when (I first saw you) our eyes first met

Can't be because the 'singer' has never actually met the person being sung about, not is the message ever actually delivered to them. Think 'personal musings of an overly-obsessed fan' here.

@BENZOZFOG

I have actually done this: kept a pocket recorder on me. And I seldom write lyrics first, mainly because I suck at singing, and therefore don't do it all that often. I'm usually riding down the road and get a musical idea instead, so I kinda of record me emulating what I hear in my head.
post edited by Serenarules - 2011/08/29 04:48:10
BENZOFOG
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 108
Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/29 04:53:16 (permalink)
awesome keep it up! you know if you have some music i would really like to take  stab at it?

Danny (Benzofog)
Metaphasic
Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/29 05:17:52 (permalink)
Tomorrow, I'll be finishing my first pass of musical production. I'll post it as an mp3 for you guys to toy with. I'll include two versions: with and without vocal melody. And if anybody wants to give it a try, I'll email them the whole Bundle file so they can record the vocals. I might even include a sample of me singing it so you will know EXACTLY why I don't sing...
Metaphasic
Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/29 16:05:58 (permalink)
Ok guys. Here is a premiminary mix, both with and without vocals, and the lyrics. I need to tweak a lot of effects and the overall mix, but the basic concept is there.

http://www.ragingpenguin.com/music/beautiful.txt (the lyrics)
http://www.ragingpenguin.com/music/beautiful.mp3 (all musical tracks)
http://www.ragingpenguin.com/music/beautiful-melody.mp3 (all tracks plus vocal melody)

Give it a listen. If anybody wants to try and record the vocals, please let me know and I'll send you the project bundle used to record the above. If you do record vocals, make one track per stanza, using punch-ins, and don't apply any effects.
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/30 08:24:08 (permalink)
sounds good.... so far.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
jamesyoyo
Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/30 08:33:10 (permalink)
The groove would work so much better if you get rid of that crash/hihat slice thing every fourth beat. There is more than enough good propulsive stuff going on that those repeated accents actually reduce the effectiveness. In fact, go with a more techno soundon the drums and complete the mood.
Metaphasic
Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/30 13:08:23 (permalink)
Yeah. I'm going to redo the crashes and the reversed reverbs, as well as the fact that their EQ is way too bright. It's not a final mix. It's just enough to give people the concept, and see if anybody wants to help me by doing some vocals.
mcourter
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3442
Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/31 13:05:30 (permalink)
The last couple of versions are much better, so there is definitely progress. But consider, like James said (et al) all the great acts that sometimes wrote silly, nearly incomprehensible lyrics: the Beatles, Elvis Costello, Crowded House, just to name a few. Lyrics don't have to be poetry or even literature, especially if the music carries the tune.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
Unbridled Enthusiasm
 My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
Metaphasic
Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/31 23:34:51 (permalink)
Thanks. What I'm really looking for at this point, is somebody with a decently deep and resonant voice to record the vocals, if I provide the actual cpw/cwb file. I wonder if I should start a new thread for it since it is no longer about authoring the lyrics?
cwestmont
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 379
Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/09/02 15:29:11 (permalink)
Serenarules

Thanks. What I'm really looking for at this point, is somebody with a decently deep and resonant voice to record the vocals, if I provide the actual cpw/cwb file. I wonder if I should start a new thread for it since it is no longer about authoring the lyrics?

You might check out Indaba for collaboration on projects -- good slick web interface, pretty active community. 

My music:
Hummingbird Cinema (vocal tracks, covers and remixes)
Mosaic Manifesto  (remixes and instrumentals)
"If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying?"- Shantideva

One can acquire everything in solitude - except character. -- Marie Henri Beyle

Windows 7
Intel Core i7-4770 3.4 GHz
8 GigaBytes DRAM
Sonar X3
Roland QuadCapture
Rus W
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 541
Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/09/03 15:57:16 (permalink)
I'm going to piggyback off this, instead of making another thread. I'm in the "ant" for some lyrics, too; yet, songs sound just as wonderful without them. Having said this, there;'s no need for someone to claim non- inspiration for the above reason because the lyrics often write themselves, (eminem used this line in one of his songs)

It's true that many aren't good with words (I know I'm not), but I also think that there's too much sticking to a common theme and having the genre to "match" it. (Commercial Radio)

If you sing about love, it's got to be R&B
If you sing about violence, it must be rap
If you sing about how rainbows appear everyday, it's gotta be pop
If you sing about losing things, it must be country (the obvious joke)

Etc ...

Don't get me wrong, it's not bad to fall into that trap; however, there is way too much emphasis being put on the "matchmaking" effect/ideal.

OTOH, it'd be weird to spit to something on the other end of the spectrum, but it would make the song unique. As per the middle ground though, hip-hop/r&b bridge the two. Raps are layered over heavy guitar rock/metal music. Orchestras/Orchestrations are also used in rock music (Evanescence).

One song we did, came from rapping about nothing. Waking up at 3am was one of the lyrics, but it turned into something totally different with the beat + music in tact. Case in point, it may take a jam session to come up with something.

I would like for "Tetris" (Working Title) and "Blossoms" to have lyrics, but they may work out better as jjust instrumentals.

iBM (Color of Music) MCS (Digital Orchestration)  

"The Amateur works until he (or she) gets it right. The professional works until he (or she) can't get it wrong." - Julie Andrews

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1