recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
IK Obi
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1549
Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/14 15:15:08 (permalink)
Ive even heard of bass players loving their old strings so much they boil them when they get dirty!
droddey
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5147
Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/14 15:49:52 (permalink)
Yeh, I don't change my bass strings very often at all, and I prefer it that way. But I'm more of a vintage kind of guy. So much depends on what type of music you are doing and your way of getting tone.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com
Jeff Evans
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/14 18:40:06 (permalink)
Thanks Makeshift I agree with you about Bobby Owsinski's book. Our library at the TAFE college I teach at is full of some great books on sound engineering.

I am also now reading Bobby Owsinski's book 'The Mastering Engineer's Handbook' I have got a very nice mastering job on right now so brushing up on concepts. Fortunately the mixes are fantastic and it really rams home the concept that once a mix is fantastic so very little is actually needed in mastering. Leave it alone!

But while all the concepts in 'The Mixing Engineers Handbook' are great and timeless I just want to say that be careful about some of the concepts that have been outlined in 'The Mastering Engineers Handbook' That book was written in 2000 and now we are 11 years on from that and things have changed a lot.

Bob Katz said (at the time)  you must not add gain or normalise due to sonic degradation but they are still talking using Sonic Solutions on a Mac. Now we have got 64 bit processing and double precision processing even on 32 bit systems so that is not true these days. Also they say you can only use expensive analog outboard gear for mastering and that of course is also not true. We now have some fantastic digital plugins that can do all of that with ease now. But everything else in the Mastering book is great and still true though.

Sorry to go OT from the bass thing we are talking about here. The stuff in the Mixing Engineers Handbook has got huge amounts of info about recording and processing bass.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/15 00:09:45 (permalink)
Yeh, I don't change my bass strings very often at all, and I prefer it that way. But I'm more of a vintage kind of guy. So much depends on what type of music you are doing and your way of getting tone.

FWIW, I think bass strings sound best after settling in for a short period of time.
Not dead... but the "zing" tames down a bit... and you get more fundamental.
An extreme example would be brand new Rotosounds on a J Bass.  Sounds terrible (at first)! 
Once those break in... they sound a lot better (IMO).

If you want to hear dead strings, go to your local Guitar Center... and pickup one of the basses that's been sitting on the wall for a year.  

Regarding DI bass recording, I'm generally not a fan of "plain-jane" DI's.
ie:  A passive Fender P or J thru a plain DI (to me) generally sounds thin/flabby. 
In crude terms, it lacks "balls".
IMO, Musicman basses (active) fair better when recording thru plain DI.

Boxes like the Avalon U5 and A-designs Reddi yield a more robust DI bass tone.
I've owned a lot of different DI solutions... including the U5 and Reddi, SansAmp RBI/RPM, numerous tube and SS preamps, etc.  My personal favorite DI for bass is the U5.
If you're trying to sculpt a DI track to sound more like an amp, consider the following:
-A DI'd bass track will typically have deeper (sub-bass) lows than a mic'd up speaker.
You can run a high-pass filter to pull out some of the super low frequency content.
I'm talking about setting the high-pass pretty low (rolling off the 0 to 30 or 40Hz range).
-A speaker (although a lot more complex) acts similar to a low-pass filter. (Rolls off highs in a pleasant/flattering way).  Thus, you could use a low-pass filter to roll off some of the higher frequencies... (which wouldn't be reproduced/heard when using a bass amp/cab).

My holy grail bass tone:
Start with any of the "classic" basses (Fender P, Fender J, MusicMan, or Ric) into an Ampeg SVT Classic head driving a 2x10 cab (to keep volume levels somewhat reasonable).
Mic the cab with two mics:
-AKG C414 (captures a nice full sound - fairly deep lows and fast transient response for a LDC)
-SM-57 (this mic captures a tight/aggressive mid range)
By adjusting the balance of the two mics, you can get the sound to work in almost any scenario.
Plenty of girth... and just the right amount of articulation in the mids.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/15 09:32:32 (permalink)
I use a 1x15 ;-)

I have a personal preference for flat wound strings... and I let them get ancient before I think about changing.

:-)

michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/15 10:29:39 (permalink)
I need to try flat wounds on my Rick 4003.  I came across a Rick with Flat's on them up at Guitar Center, played with it a little and loved the feel of the strings, but I could not really hear (or concentrate on hearing) with all of the other noise going on there.  What exactly do they do to the overall tone; is it a deader/ mellower sound than rounds?  I am ashamed to say, I have played bass for many years, I have just always stuck with the same guage round wounds the entire time.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/15 11:27:05 (permalink)
What exactly do they do to the overall tone; is it a deader/ mellower sound

The highs/harmonics are diminished... and the fundamental is more "thumpy".
Think McCartney Ric sound... and you'll be in the ballpark.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
droddey
  • Total Posts : 5147
Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/15 14:14:17 (permalink)
I've been using pressure wound for a while now, which are kind of a half-way point between the round and flat varietals. They seem to be a pretty good compromise to me. They have some zing, but they aren't rattly, and they don't rip the skin off your fingers, but they still have something to grab onto.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com
7-string_guy
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 430
Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/16 16:14:35 (permalink)
i put new strings on my bass about 2 months ago,  but have only played them for a total of an hour or two. I always wipe down my strings with WD-40 after each use...so they retain that sound I like.

WD-40 is your friend. <-----+1

I'm not too educated on some of the equipment you guys have, nor have i ever played with most of the techniques you use. miking is out for me, i do not own an amp. but if i did it would be ampeg with 10's.

I think I'm doing alright. I made a good setting with comp and eq from trial and error.

what really saved my arse is adding a touch of stereo widening (ozone 3)to the master buss. everything was panned out wel, but it took my stereo image and further enhanced it bringing the middle out and so clear now. I'll post a song in the near future.

I7 2600k 3.4g on a ASUS MB with 16 gb of ram
FireFace 400 AI / Sonar 8.5 Producer / ToonTrack Superior Drummer 2
Alesis M1 Active MKII / Ibanez 7 string / Fender Super-Sonic
Schecter studio 5 bass / Boss Dr. Rhythm 880 , also Yamaha DTX full rack drum pad trigger system
montezuma
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2520
Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/17 04:00:53 (permalink)
Regarding some of the earlier advice to record with new strings unless you want a 60's sound...I recall reading old poster 'yep' remark that James Jamerson the bass player on old Mowtown songs never changed his strings and barely ever saw to it that his bass was conditioned at all. One of the best bass players of all time. So...whatever I suppose
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/17 12:02:08 (permalink)
montezuma

Regarding some of the earlier advice to record with new strings unless you want a 60's sound...I recall reading old poster 'yep' remark that James Jamerson the bass player on old Mowtown songs never changed his strings and barely ever saw to it that his bass was conditioned at all. One of the best bass players of all time. So...whatever I suppose

Tell that to Leland Sklar, one of the best and most sought after bassists in the history of music spanning 4 decades and on over 2000 albums of various styles of music. To me, changing bass strings is important and improves the sound ten-fold. If it doesn't for you, James Jamerson or yep, you're all just gifted. :) I'll take a nice, clean, "ping" type sound that I can control over settling for old, dead sounding strings that can't get "ping", any day.

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Middleman
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4397
Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/17 12:29:56 (permalink)
In music, nothing is set in stone.

Dead strings live strings, a good musician makes it work. If it doesn't work, then you change strings.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
montezuma
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2520
Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/17 21:16:31 (permalink)
But on the internet...
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/19 10:06:37 (permalink)
Middleman

Dead strings live strings, a good musician makes it work. If it doesn't work, then you change strings.

I am starting to get this same mentality. I am always looking for why something is the way it is. Kind of like another thread I posted on where a lot of people said that something worked for them but not exactly why it worked or why they preferred it and few examples were given. I am glad that old strings are working for you guys , don't get me wrong and I am glad new strings work for others.

Given my limited knowledge of metalurgy and alloys I can venture a guess for or against new strings and it would go something like this.....metals tend to harden and grow more brittle with stress. The more you bend a metal the more rigid it becomes and the extent to which you bend metal determines how long it will last.Eventually the metal will fail or break completely if stressed under constant pressure and flexing. Alloys that guitar strings are made of, weaken over time. This is noticed more with lighter gauge strings because obviously they are not as heavy/strong as bass strings are. If the metal gets increasingly harder and less resilient, then it would stand to reason that the sound coming from the strings will have less character due to the harder work hardened metal.

Strings are also under pressure at all times, and this  would seem to contribute toward the weaking and hardening of the string...........so........if a bass player likes old strings it could be because he never stresses the string enough to cause it to loose the character he/she wants it to have or maybe the old string character is what they are looking for, not a lot of pop but more of a bassy sound devoid of any upper transient character.

In theory a new set of strings have more character because the metal is new and unworked and why Danni says that it has zing.  I personally like bass with character and some transients happening in other places, so I guess I would be the type to change strings more often.

I think I may have answered my own question here. Playing low on the 1st two strings of a bass isn't likely going to change a lot either way. Playing higher on the upper strings I can see where you could see a difference in your sound.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/19 11:47:22 (permalink)
sometimes 'zing' is the most annoying frequency of all.

you really have to make these calls on a subjective and personal level.

ultimately, you want to have as much of a 'signature' bass sound, as you would a guitar sound, or keyboard sound.

differentation, is a glorious thing.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/19 13:29:57 (permalink)
Starise
Do dead strings sound obvious? 
Yes, unless you're talking true flat wounds. Those I would classify as dead on purpose.

New round wound bass strings DI'd should sound almost like a piano, IMO.

FWIW, go here and listen to Rough Patch and The 4th Of July. Stock American Fender P-Bass -> UA-LA610->dbx266xs comp->sound card. A little EQ on the bass track. Highpass @ 80Hz and boost around 2.5K. 

Same page. Walking The Dog. Custom 5-String (with flat wound E-A-D-G strings and round wound low B string) -> UA LA-610 -> sound card. Highpass EQ @ 80HZ. Bass solo is Kala U-Bass -> UA LA-610 -> sound card. No EQ.

Lasltly. Walk Away. Same Std. American Fender P-Bass -> UA  LA-610 -> sound card. Low pass @80HZ. IK's Fender '59 Bassman.

Starise
Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/19 13:56:45 (permalink)

I was hoping that you would post Bapu, being the resident AM bass guy :0). I plan to listen to these when I get home!

3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 

Twitter @Rodein

bapu
Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/19 16:41:59 (permalink)
Pay no attention to flimsy kick on Walk Away. I've been meaning to redo that one.
bapu
Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/21 16:12:49 (permalink)
bapu

Pay no attention to flimsy kick on Walk Away. I've been meaning to redo that one.

Fixed. 

Finally.

Starise
Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/21 20:21:38 (permalink)
 Great bass coming across there. All of the mixes sound great too! . The kick is great too....A real tribute to all of the guys involved in those songs.

Twitter @Rodein

Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/22 03:25:11 (permalink)
Starise

Middleman

I am starting to get this same mentality. I am always looking for why something is the way it is. Kind of like another thread I posted on where a lot of people said that something worked for them but not exactly why it worked or why they preferred it and few examples were given. I am glad that old strings are working for you guys , don't get me wrong and I am glad new strings work for others.

Given my limited knowledge of metalurgy and alloys I can venture a guess for or against new strings and it would go something like this.....metals tend to harden and grow more brittle with stress. The more you bend a metal the more rigid it becomes and the extent to which you bend metal determines how long it will last.Eventually the metal will fail or break completely if stressed under constant pressure and flexing. Alloys that guitar strings are made of, weaken over time. This is noticed more with lighter gauge strings because obviously they are not as heavy/strong as bass strings are. If the metal gets increasingly harder and less resilient, then it would stand to reason that the sound coming from the strings will have less character due to the harder work hardened metal.

Strings are also under pressure at all times, and this  would seem to contribute toward the weaking and hardening of the string...........so........if a bass player likes old strings it could be because he never stresses the string enough to cause it to loose the character he/she wants it to have or maybe the old string character is what they are looking for, not a lot of pop but more of a bassy sound devoid of any upper transient character.

In theory a new set of strings have more character because the metal is new and unworked and why Danni says that it has zing.  I personally like bass with character and some transients happening in other places, so I guess I would be the type to change strings more often.

I think I may have answered my own question here. Playing low on the 1st two strings of a bass isn't likely going to change a lot either way. Playing higher on the upper strings I can see where you could see a difference in your sound.

Keep in mind...and this is important. Some guys do not know how to set up a bass (or any other instrument) properly. When they put on new strings....they get a fretting out sound that is annoying and pretty hard to dial out if you record like that. Now, "some guys" in my world amounts to about 75% of bassists and guitarists I know. They don't touch action, intonation or truss rod adjustments. All of that stuff there can contribute to a good or bad bass tone.

When you have a bass that is not set up properly, it will not play properly nor will you have notes that are as healthy as they could be. That means, you hit an E somewhere and when you hit an E somewhere else, the pitch is not identical. Or, you play on one spot of the neck on a string, and then in another spot on a different string and you wonder why the tone changes.

Enter new strings into the picture. Your intonation is out already because any time you put on a different gauge string (or even the same gauge string made by a different company) your intonation is going to be slightly out or way out. This also effects your string action. It could end up lower and fret out making an annoying noise, or it can be too high and be a bit more difficult to play...while still being out of tune because your intonation is out. Need I mention the truss rod is probably whacked out too...which makes for horrible playability, cheap sound if the truss is too loose, fret noise if too tight...and you have a mess on your hands.

When you have a properly set up bass that is intonated correctly, has the right strings on it for the instrument, proper pick up height, right amount of tension on the truss rod, action set up for the player and the right type of strings (roundwound/flatwound etc) this bass is going to blow everything in the dust no matter who plays it.

Also keep in mind, my explanation of "ping" is exactly like Ed mentioned. It sounds a bit like a piano. A slight musical percussivness that has beautiful, natural sustain that isn't synthetic or introduced by way of effects. That said, just like a guitar, sure there has to be a bit of a break-in for the strings when they are new...but that usually takes about an hour. On a bass with old strings, you can't get this sound. Period....end of story. With a bass with new strings, you can dial it out if you want less of the ping and you can alter it. With old bass strings, you have to simulate it by pushing 2.5k up or using a pick...other effects....it just sounds bad to me. With new strings and all your ducks in a row, you can get ANY sound you want just about while maintaining full control.

String selection: Some basses sound bad with roundwounds, some sound bad with flatwounds. You have to experiment what works best for your bass. You also have to take gauges into account because they serve a purpose in the tone. If you are a pop/slap/funk bassist, lighter gauge strings with lower action will not give you the sound you are looking for as easy. You're better off with a fatter gauge and higher action so that when you pop or slap, it sounds musical instead of the sound a bass makes when it breaks a string. For rock you can get away with lighter gauges and lower action...but even there, it depends on how hard you pull or pick. It's way too easy to get that fretting out sound if you have light gauge strings and use a heavy pick or pull too hard.

Trust me when I tell you...you may think a bass sounds like a bass....but the more you get into this recording stuff and know what to listen for, the more you'll understand just how important a good bass tone is to your mix. You don't just want to feel the bass, you want to hear it. It must have an identity....just like a guitar tone. But, if old strings is what people like and it works for them...so be it. It works for some things...it really does. But for the stuff I do....anyone being totally into the old bass strings stuff will be the ones that settle for the bass being a low supporting instrument with no definition, and they'll spend countless hours trying to make it sound good and fit in the mix. Stylistic preference....maybe...but to me, it's of the utmost importance and what has changed the low end in my mixes. I can't tell you how many times I've struggled with bass tones in the past when they were recorded with old, dead strings. It's not worth the hassle unless you're recording something classic rock or super old school. But...what do I know...

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Myuzishin
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 39
Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/22 04:27:51 (permalink)
I have recorded my Schecter Omen 5-string straight into an Audio Buddy and into the PC and gotten a nice just-the-bass tone with a sweetly manageable level. A bit of compression on the track and its a good bingo. For mellower tunes, I get a great sound runnin it thru a 'clean' tone I made (that I often play the Paul thru) on my GT-10 with a bit of reverb and a dash of chorus.

I don't record bass alot (I tend to only pick it up when I need it for something) so I'm in the 'new-strings' camp.

Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the road

MySoundClickPage
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/22 20:49:38 (permalink)
I have one of these and it seems ok to me.... Julien (it's a KORG)

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1