Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Wickens
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 183
Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/04/03 19:33:16 (permalink)
The production is good except I'm getting a lot of low end air sounds. My sub isnt even turned up very much and it's causing a rumble. It's right at the beginning and in some parts through out. Sounds good other than that though :)

http://www.soundclick.com/chriswickens
i7 920, 6gb DDR3 Triple Channel Ram, Gigabyte MOBO, Sonar X1, Guitar Rig 4 Pro, POD Farm, PODxt, MOTU 8Pre
Garry Stubbs
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2619
Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/04/04 03:36:42 (permalink)
Hi Wickens - Yes, as I said in my original post, this was actually recorded using my mobile rig outside of all places. In an accidental way its a great example of how untamed frequencies can have undesirable effects on different playback systems unless recorded or mixed correctly. On laptop speakers these sounds are not audible at all, but on my studio monitors I got everything you did, which is basically wind rumble. This is well nigh impossible to get rid of without pulling all the tone out of the rest of the recording too.

As I said, given that, I was taking route one to a workable demo to plan a full recording, ie, only 19 minutes of digital 'tape roll' start to finish. As I was writing out of my usual genre, I was after feedback on the song itself, and that has been very encouraging.

Thanks for commenting.

Garry

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
Lynn
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6117
Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/04/06 13:45:29 (permalink)
You have the raw material for a good song.  I like the voice, the arrangement, and the birds.  I look forward to hearing this completed.

All the best,
Lynn

my songs
www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
evadianepug
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4477
Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/04/09 17:18:52 (permalink)
Knowing where and how it is recorded helped me overcome the "wind" noise, etc.  Through my monitors it made me jump a couple times.  I TOO AM MORE INTO THE SONGS.  It's probably because I am a less than competent engineer.  I mam fortunate to be teamed with a great engineer (CLEAN).  It is a very nice song and your friend makes it easier to understand that.  Great vocalist.  So, the song is wonderful. 

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
THE PUGTONES
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
SonarX3
ProjectM
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3941
Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/04/10 06:51:01 (permalink)
Cool song! I really enjoyed it and thought it sounded quite alright too. Looking forward to hear what you can make of it in a proper production environment!

And I agree about the birds - keep them! They were excellent!

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
ruralrocker2010
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 616
Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/04/10 12:36:11 (permalink)
I think the positive comments that have been made are correct. Good voice, good placement, good homey feeling to the overall song.

What it lacks is something that makes it memorable. I've said this a couple of times today, now I feel like I'm being repetitive.

Her voice is memorable (very karen carpenter), The guitar riffing is slightly memorable, but I don't even know what the lyrics were saying and it felt rushed in certain places.
Overall, the song felt emotionally flat to me. If nothing reminds me of you, but I've got a happy contrast in my delivery then my melody choice should reflect that. I felt like this would be great, if you're already famous, and people really want to know where your heart is on things, but if you're trying to be noticed, this song just wouldn't be the one you'd want to show them as an artist. The song is good, in the sense that it's performed well and has the right ingredients. So this is not a negative of musicianship; I hope you wouldn't take it that way.

Part of this is my journey too. I'm constantly thinking about how I can make something memorable and passionate, but true and not gimmicky. Here's my check list;

• context
  • lyrics
  • melody
  • memorable
  • repeatable - staying power - timeless?
  • melody hook
  • guitar hook
  • key
  • vocal driven
  • guitar driven
  • age group
Not saying I think this all through before I write, I'm saying that everything I write gets evaluated by each dynamic before I take it to full production.

Joshua Barnes
Sonar Platinum / RME UCX / i5 3.2 8 GB Memory (Dell Inspiron) / Komplete 10 / Win 7 Home 64 Bit
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1