Moving Dim Pro, Rapture, and Z3Ta+ 2 Folders in X2

Author
arachnaut
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1168
2012/09/25 21:10:45 (permalink)

Moving Dim Pro, Rapture, and Z3Ta+ 2 Folders in X2

This should probably be posted in the Instruments section of the forum, but with all the focus on Rapture and DimPro I thought I would post this up here.

For those who like to keep their samples and user-changeable stuff in a separate drive, I will show what I do as an example.

I bought Dimension Pro, Rapture and Zeta+ 2 as separate sale items and installed them on X1 a while back and now use them on X2.
Everything seems to be working OK so far as I go through the tests on X2. I have all the latest version of these.

I have Windows 7 Pro SP1 and Sonar X2 Producer, so your paths may be different than mine. I mainly use the 64-bit versions, but since I also have Live, I need the 32-bit versions for that DAW.

For Dimension Pro I have these registry settings modified:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\dp]
"Contents Folder"="K:\\Cakewalk\\Dimension Pro\\Content"
"Multisamples Folder"="K:\\Cakewalk\\Dimension Pro\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Cakewalk Music Software\dp]

I moved all the stuff from the Program Files folder to the Content folder and the Multisamples to that other folder on my K drive.
I left the Dimension Pro programs in the 'ProgramData' folder on the C drive.

For Rapture I have these registry settings modified:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\rp]
"Contents Folder"="K:\\Cakewalk\\Rapture\\Content"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Cakewalk Music Software\rp]
"Contents Folder"="K:\\Cakewalk\\Rapture\\Content"

Similarly, I moved the Program Files stuff to these spots. I left the programs in the ProgramData folder.

For Z3TA+2 I have these registry changes:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\z3ta+\2.0]
"Dll Path"="G:\\VST-64\\Cakewalk\\Z3TA+ 2"
"AppData Path"="K:\\Cakewalk\\Z3TA+ 2\\AppData"
"UserData Path"="K:\\Cakewalk\\Z3TA+ 2\\UserData"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Cakewalk Music Software\z3ta+\2.0]
"Dll Path"="G:\\VST-32\\Cakewalk\\Z3TA+ 2"
"AppData Path"="K:\\Cakewalk\\Z3TA+ 2\\AppData"
"UserData Path"="K:\\Cakewalk\\Z3TA+ 2\\UserData"

Z3TA+2 doesn't use the 'ProgramData' folder.

So basically, I looked at these registry settings and moved everything synth-related in the old folders to the new folders (not the obvious stuff like the uninstaller data, etc. that needs to stay in place.)

After I did these changes I downloaded all the Scala scale files and put them in: K:\Scala\Tunings

Then I went through each of the synth's places where the tunings were stored and I deleted those 'Tunings' folder and made a symlink to the Scala folder. That is, in each folder I did this:

mklink /d Tunings "K:\Scala\Tunings"

These were three places for me:

K:\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Tunings
K:\Cakewalk\Rapture\Content\Tunings
K:\Cakewalk\Z3TA+ 2\UserData\Tunings

Each of these were a tuning folder, but I deleted the folder and made the symlink to the Scala folder, replacing the folder with a symlink of the same name. There are currently 4,158 Scala Scales ('.scl' files) as of today!

I made other types of changes as well, I removed the DXi versions of these synths and made the standalone menu item point to the VST 64-bit folder where I have the minihost executable for each VST.

I think I had to move a few other start menu items around - the Documentation got moved to the content folder, and stuff like that.

Now everything runs standalone, in X1, X2 and in Live (32-bit).

As far as I can tell there are no problems. Even Help popups and the synth menus load and save things properly.

I may have problems with the next update, but I'll face that when I need to.

I don't recommend this for most people, but for those who run a tight system and know their way around the filesystem this is a good layout. I basically believe that data should reside in one spot, but we can point to it from various other spots if we need local copies.

I use a registry checker and shortcut file system checker to make sure all the old folders and links still resolve properly.

Naturally you should back up your files and registry before you attempt anything like this, and rename the folders while you test - deleting them later when everything is working.

EDIT - typos

- Jim Hurley -
SONAR Platinum - x64  - Windows 10 Pro 
ASUS P8P67 PRO Rev 3.0;  Core i7-2600K@4.4GHz; 16 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X;
GeForce GT 740; Saffire Pro14 MixControl 3.7; Axiom 61
64-Bit audio, SR: 48kHz, ASIO 256 samples latency, Rec/Play I/O Buffers 512k, Total Round Trip Latency 13 ms, Pow-r 3 dither 

25 Replies Related Threads

bvideo
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1707
    Re:Moving Dim Pro, Rapture, and Z3Ta+ 2 Folders in X2 2012/09/25 23:53:11 (permalink)
    Great info for keeping large data off the C drive!
    mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re:Moving Dim Pro, Rapture, and Z3Ta+ 2 Folders in X2 2012/09/26 01:11:30 (permalink)
    Thanks for the detailed info. I'll add it to my Cakewalk user knowledge base files.
    Thanks again.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    arachnaut
    Re:Moving Dim Pro, Rapture, and Z3Ta+ 2 Folders in X2 2012/09/26 01:35:11 (permalink)
    I'm currently checking each plug-in in detail as I put X2 through the paces.

I'm doing a similar move and shuffle for Beatscape and RXP. These I've finished and they work fine.

Next Session Drummer and Studio Instruments.

These have large-ish libraries that can benefit from a move.

I noticed several VSTs that I have in my 64 bit directory are actually 32-bit VSTs:

RXP, Sound Center, Drop Zone, Perfect Space and Square I.

I'll be moving them to the 32-bit VST folder.  I don't know if I put them there or the installer did. I test these in Live (32-bit).

This kind of work is very error-prone, so again I warn others not to try it unless you really know what you're doing.

There are several things that motivate me to do this. One is that I have a long heritage from Unix work, where symlinks are used everywhere for this sort of thing. But more so is that eventually I want to get an SSD drive for the C drive and I don't want any data on it, just programs.

If you keep the system drive small enough, backups and restores go very fast.

The data that gets moved does not change very much - if at all, so these drives get nightly incremental backups that are usually very small changes.

But it does mean that one must become a system administrator - not a thing for most, and not really needed either. Some people are just obsessive about these things.

You can even mount NTFS file systems as a folder, just like a Unix mount point.

That means that you can create a drive called ProgramData and mount it on C: in the empty folder 'ProgramData'. Use the Computer Management->Disk Management->Change Drive Letter->Change path. Now you are really in trouble. If you ever run out of Drive letters you need to do that.

I hope Windows 9 removes the concept of drive letters.

- Jim Hurley -
    64-Bit audio, SR: 48kHz, ASIO 256 samples latency, Rec/Play I/O Buffers 512k, Total Round Trip Latency 13 ms, Pow-r 3 dither 
    winds350
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re:Moving Dim Pro, Rapture, and Z3Ta+ 2 Folders in X2 2012/09/26 08:00:01 (permalink)
    Thanks!
    Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re:Moving Dim Pro, Rapture, and Z3Ta+ 2 Folders in X2 2012/09/26 08:20:31 (permalink)
    Thanks for this info. 

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Moving Dim Pro, Rapture, and Z3Ta+ 2 Folders in X2 2012/09/26 08:26:09 (permalink)
    arachnaut

I'm currently checking each plug-in in detail as I put X2 through the paces.

I'm doing a similar move and shuffle for Beatscape and RXP. These I've finished and they work fine.

Next Session Drummer and Studio Instruments.

These have large-ish libraries that can benefit from a move.

I noticed several VSTs that I have in my 64 bit directory are actually 32-bit VSTs:

RXP, Sound Center, Drop Zone, Perfect Space and Square I.

think some of them are DXi's as my other DAW doesn't open them.. RXP has a more rigid folder option (think it was drive only) or maybe I'm getting it mixed up with another one.

arachnaut
    Re:Moving Dim Pro, Rapture, and Z3Ta+ 2 Folders in X2 2012/09/26 23:38:53 (permalink)
    Fog

think some of them are DXi's as my other DAW doesn't open them.. RXP has a more rigid folder option (think it was drive only) or maybe I'm getting it mixed up with another one.

RXP's help file says it is a DXi, but that is not so it is a VST. Maybe that is old info that never got updated.

- Jim Hurley -
    arachnaut
    Re:Moving Dim Pro, Rapture, and Z3Ta+ 2 Folders in X2 2012/09/27 00:13:57 (permalink)

I apologize for posting here rather than below in the Instruments thread, but I would like to continue with the stuff I posted earlier.
    Today I completed all the consolidation work and re-arrangement of the Cakewalk VSTs in Sonar Producer X2.
    I wrote about the changes to DimPro, Rapture and Z3TA+2 above. I'll write about the other changes I made here.

There were two types of changes :
    1. Moving the large content material from where it was to a central location (In my case it is on the folder K:\Cakewalk). This folder now holds 16 GB of mulltisamples and instrument data that were moved from various places.
    2. Moving the 32-bit plugins from the 64-bit folder to my 32-bit folder. I use the folder G:\VST-32 for 32-bit plug-ins and G:\VST-64 for 64-bit plug-ins. Inside this folder are subfolders with Vendor names (eg Cakewalk, AAS, NI, Camel. u-he, etc...) with their VSTs in these folders.

I tell you these things so you can intelligently modify the paths I changed. I'm running Windows 7 SP1 64-bit and Sonar X2 (build 306).

I use Live 8.3.4 as a test for the 32-bit plug-in changes as well as these other programs: Plogue Bidule (32), Temper, Seib VSTHost (32), toybear MiniHost, xlutop Chainer.
    I tested the 64-bit changes on Sonar X2 Producer these 64-bit hosts: Sonar X1d Producer Expanded, Plogue Bidule (64) and Seib VSTHost (64).
    I believe these should all be the most up-to-date versions.

When I completed the move I transfered about 16 GB of data from the system drive to my K: drive. That's quite significant.

Here is a summary of the changes for each instrument. For each of these registry values look at what you have for the folder and move that data to the new location shown in the example. Basically anything marked 'K:' is a change of (sample) data and the 'G:' data changes a VST.

Beatscape:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Cakewalk Music Software\Beatscape\1.0]
    "Samples Folder"="K:\\Cakewalk\\Beatscape\\Library"
    "Installation Folder"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Cakewalk\\Beatscape"
    "User Data Folder"="C:\\ProgramData\\Cakewalk\\Beatscape"

RXP:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\RXP]
    "Contents Folder"="K:\\Cakewalk\\RXP"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Cakewalk Music Software\RXP]
    "Contents Folder"="K:\\Cakewalk\\RXP"

Session Drummer 3:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\SessionDrummer3]
    "Contents Folder"="K:\\Cakewalk\\Session Drummer 3"
    "Resources Folder"="G:\\VST-64\\Cakewalk\\Session Drummer 3\\Resources"
    "Documentation Folder"="K:\\Cakewalk\\Session Drummer 3\\Documentation"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Cakewalk Music Software\SessionDrummer3]
    "Contents Folder"="K:\\Cakewalk\\Session Drummer 3"
    "Resources Folder"="G:\\VST-64\\Cakewalk\\Session Drummer 3\\Resources"
    "Documentation Folder"="K:\\Cakewalk\\Session Drummer 3\\Documentation"

Studio Instruments:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Studio Instruments\Bass]
    "Contents Folder"="K:\\Cakewalk\\Studio Instruments\\SI-Bass Guitar"
    "Multisamples Folder"="K:\\Cakewalk\\Studio Instruments\\SI-Bass Guitar"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Studio Instruments\Drums]
    "Contents Folder"="K:\\Cakewalk\\Studio Instruments\\SI-Drum Kit"
    "Multisamples Folder"="K:\\Cakewalk\\Studio Instruments\\SI-Drum Kit"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Studio Instruments\EPiano]
    "Contents Folder"="K:\\Cakewalk\\Studio Instruments\\SI-Electric Piano"
    "Multisamples Folder"="K:\\Cakewalk\\Studio Instruments\\SI-Electric Piano"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Studio Instruments\Strings]
    "Contents Folder"="K:\\Cakewalk\\Studio Instruments\\SI-String Section"
    "Multisamples Folder"="K:\\Cakewalk\\Studio Instruments\\SI-String Section"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Cakewalk Music Software\Studio Instruments\Bass]
    "Contents Folder"="K:\\Cakewalk\\Studio Instruments\\SI-Bass Guitar"
    "Multisamples Folder"="K:\\Cakewalk\\Studio Instruments\\SI-Bass Guitar"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Cakewalk Music Software\Studio Instruments\Drums]
    "Contents Folder"="K:\\Cakewalk\\Studio Instruments\\SI-Drum Kit"
    "Multisamples Folder"="K:\\Cakewalk\\Studio Instruments\\SI-Drum Kit"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Cakewalk Music Software\Studio Instruments\Strings]
    "Contents Folder"="K:\\Cakewalk\\Studio Instruments\\SI-String Section"
    "Multisamples Folder"="K:\\Cakewalk\\Studio Instruments\\SI-String Section"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Cakewalk Music Software\Studio Instruments\EPiano]
    "Contents Folder"="K:\\Cakewalk\\Studio Instruments\\SI-Electric Piano"
    "Multisamples Folder"="K:\\Cakewalk\\Studio Instruments\\SI-Electric Piano"

Here is a summary of the changes when you move the 32-bit VST2 to the 32-bit folder. My VST 32-bit folder is 'G:\VST-32'.

Drop Zone:

no changes to registry needed, just move the folder.

Sound Center:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk Sound Center\1.0]
    "Installation Folder"="G:\\VST-32\\Cakewalk\\Cakewalk Sound Center"

Perfect Space:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Shared Plugins\Perfect Space]
    "LastImpulseFolder"="G:\\VST-32\\Cakewalk\\Perfect Space"
    "InstallDirectory"="G:\\VST-32\\Cakewalk\\Perfect Space"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Cakewalk Music Software\Shared Plugins\Perfect Space]
    "LastImpulseFolder"="G:\\VST-32\\Cakewalk\\Perfect Space"
    "InstallDirectory"="G:\\VST-32\\Cakewalk\\Perfect Space"

Changes to Sonar X1 registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\SONAR Producer\X1\ContentLocations]
    "Session Drummer 3 MIDI Drum Loops"="K:\\Cakewalk\\Session Drummer 3\\Contents\\Patterns"
    "RXP REX Loops"="K:\\Cakewalk\\RXP\\Contents"

Changes to Sonar 8.5 registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Cakewalk Music Software\SONAR Producer\8.5\ContentLocations]
    "Beatscape REX Loops"="K:\\Cakewalk\\Beatscape\\Library\\Beatscape Factory Content"

This is a straightforward, but tedious job that requires a great deal of care in every step.
    Make sure you back everything up (registry, File system, your data, etc) and rename the old folders until you finish testing.
    I rename the folders from something like this "FOLDER" to this "FOLDER---" so that I can find them easily. I archive them for safe keeping for a while and then finally delete them.

I can't guarantee that I remembered each step, but I think this gives you the idea. Don't even think of trying this if you've never done anything like this before. You will be sorry.

I did make some mistakes and had to use SysInternals PROCMON to debug some problems, but it was not that hard, just takes time.

Finally, changing something like this will probably void your warranty and will not fair you well if you call Cakewalk and ask for tech support. Also it may make uninstalls and future install very difficult.

But I like to live dangerously.

A complete directory listing of my consolidated folder is available here:
    http://www.arachnaut.net/audio/Sonar/Cakewalk-Content-consolidation.zip

Naturally, you may have purchased different content for some of the synths, but this may help verify your move for the data you change.

- Jim Hurley -
    Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re:Moving Dim Pro, Rapture, and Z3Ta+ 2 Folders in X2 2012/09/27 00:32:41 (permalink)
    I am thinking of this as an alternative to reinstalling everything and moving it all to a new drive. I don't know why I went with the default installations when I built this machine. I know better. But lazy I guess.

It took me over two months to get all my stuff back up and running. That was a lot of time spent just to be able to see how it was going to run. And once I was half way through,...

Anyway thanks for that info. Gave me some good ideas. 

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re:Moving Dim Pro, Rapture, and Z3Ta+ 2 Folders in X2 2012/10/01 18:46:34 (permalink)
    Thanks for this info. I had a devil of a time trying to do this last year.
    Muskee
    • Total Posts : 46
    Re:Moving Dim Pro, Rapture, and Z3Ta+ 2 Folders in X2 2012/10/06 21:06:28 (permalink)
    arachnaut

For Dimension Pro I have these registry settings modified:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\dp]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Cakewalk Music Software\dp]

I moved all the stuff from the Program Files folder to the Content folder and the Multisamples to that other folder on my K drive.
    I left the Dimension Pro programs in the 'ProgramData' folder on the C drive.

Okay.. so, the double back slashes indicate an other than C: drive location?  Also, The Multisamples folder doesn't follow the string  K:\\Cakewalk\\Dimension Pro\\   
      like                     K:\\Cakewalk\\Dimension Pro\\Multisamples

Also.. I vaguely remember something in the Multisample folder that did NOT like to get moved.. any info would be much helpful.
    thx,
    Dave

Win8.1ProX64, Splat x64
    os ssd 240gb  hd content sata 465gb, hd sample libraries sata 465gb, hd storage sata 1tb, PC back External usb 1.5tb
    mb amd 990fx sabertooth
    cpu amd fx8150

32gb corsair ddr3 1800
    liquid Saffire 56
    Edirol pcr500
    video amd radeon hd6670 
    32" HDMI 1920 x 1080
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re:Moving Dim Pro, Rapture, and Z3Ta+ 2 Folders in X2 2012/10/06 21:38:34 (permalink)
    The escaped backslashes (double backslashes) are the way the regedit program exports the data. You can key the paths in the registry like "k:\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\" and it will be fine.

You do not want to add Multitsamples to the end of theDimPro Multisample Folder path, it is assumed by the synth.

I have moved directories years ago for Beatscape, DimPro, Rapture, Perfect Space, RXP, SD2 & 3. The synths all work fine.

That is not to say that some installers still might put stuff in the wrong place. When they do, I move the files to the proper place and force the synth browser to rescan the programs.
    arachnaut
    Re:Moving Dim Pro, Rapture, and Z3Ta+ 2 Folders in X2 2012/10/06 22:54:37 (permalink)
    Yes, this is Regedit export data.

For those who know, you can put in the Regedit header: "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" and save the text with a .reg extension, then Merge it.

But since you will need to change all the data paths, I didn't want to post it in that format exactly.

This is not the sort of thing one should take lightly.

- Jim Hurley -
    arachnaut
    Re:Moving Dim Pro, Rapture, and Z3Ta+ 2 Folders in X2 2012/10/08 16:06:21 (permalink)
    One last thing (or maybe not!). I recently discovered that the Old Beatscape library has been added to Sonar's X2 audio library in the Loops folder.

Here is the post (copied):

Re:Migrating X2 to a faster computer - 19 hrs. ago ( #8 )

scook 

The kicker with Beatscape is that the rx2 files are now part of loops and one-shots. If you go back and install Beatscape you get a duplicate 4GB library of rx2 files. So unless you just want to burn 4GB you are going to have to do a little cleanup after the install. Unless you already have projects dependent on Beatscape, I would just forget about that synth, Cakewalk already has. 

Thanks for that tip. Indeed I compared the two and aside from a few minor name changes they are identical. 

So I deleted my "Beatscape Factory Content" and made a junction to the Loops folder with the old name. Then open Beatscape and hit F5 to refresh the file list. Works fine. 

- Jim Hurley -
    MagBass
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 88
    Re:Moving Dim Pro, Rapture, and Z3Ta+ 2 Folders in X2 2012/10/08 16:36:01 (permalink)
    Very exhaustive work, arachnaut; thanks.  I also keep most of my actual samples from all my programs in a folder called Sample Libraries on a drive by itself.  I put everything there that installations allow me to, and I've found some non-registry ways to get around some other situations.  I hate that companies don't uniformly give you the option to store their sample files where you want them.  This can be particularly hairy with Dim Pro, but if I remember correctly, v1.5 (which I also bought before X2) did ask, which made things easier.  I didn't try the X2 installs of Dim Pro and Rapture, since I already had them, so I don't know if they ask.

But you seem to have gotten it all down to a science here, so I'm sending this thread to myself to add to my reference library.  Thanks again.

Sonar Platinum (64-bit); many CW PC modules; endless plugins (most of which SPLAT doesn't list); Edirol PCR-800; Win10 Pro 64-bit; Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 interface; lots of hardware I don't actually use anymore; 1972 Rickenbacker 4001 bass (Chris Squire days); other basses, guitars, mics, etc.
    arachnaut
    Re:Moving Dim Pro, Rapture, and Z3Ta+ 2 Folders in X2 2012/10/08 17:14:12 (permalink)
    Well, every vendor has their share of problems: Live's library editor is really hard to use for maintaining massive samples; NI's Kore is great but no longer supported, and it has a lot of problems with it's database. And if you make many changes to factory-related problems, they often have to be re-done again on an update.

I just recently went through a problem with Alchemy 1.5 RC1 when I worked on the new browser and it all changed in RC2 so I had to start over.

Sometimes I almost give up and just let things be, but a big part of me won't let me sleep at night with that kind of resigned attitude.

One solution would be Omnisphere - totally closed environment. Not my cup of tea, but a wonderful synth.

As long as things aren't encrypted or obfuscated, I'm OK.

And - no dongles!!

Overall, the Cakes have a very libertarian, easy-going approach. I like that. I'm happy to support a vendor with that attitude, in spite of glitches and start-up/set-up problems.

A lot of parts of Sonar's bag of tools are quite dated, some obsolete, but mostly they still work. And I take some of that as a sign that the best parts of Sonar's internals have been around for a long time and must be pretty solid by now.

- Jim Hurley -
    swamptooth
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2229
    Re:Moving Dim Pro, Rapture, and Z3Ta+ 2 Folders in X2 2013/06/08 12:40:41 (permalink)
    what i typically do in this situation is just move the file folders and create symbolic links to the new folder in the original location. no registry editing necessary.  i really hate keeping track of registry changes and this is the easiest method i've found to manage things.  also, if and when i need to move them again i only need to move the folders and recreate symlinks without changing the registry again.

Arvid H. Peterson
    Sonar X3E Prod / X2A  / X1PE | Cubase 9.5.1 | Reason 9.5 | Sibelius7 | Pure Data
    Native-Instruments Komplete 10 Ultimate and a smattering of other plugins
    Home-brewed VSTs 
    Toshiba Satellite S855-S5378 (16GB RAM, modified with 2x 750GB HDDs, Windows 8.1 x64)  
    Samson Graphite 49, M-Audio Oxygen 49, Korg nanoPAD2, Webcam motion tracking programs 
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
    Member, ASCAP   

scook
    Forum Host
    Re:Moving Dim Pro, Rapture, and Z3Ta+ 2 Folders in X2 2013/06/08 12:54:57 (permalink)
    Yeah, the registry changes are the only method documented in the knowledge base. Junctions are easier to implement. I have had good results using junctions, for example, the sample libraries in Toontrack and the installers have no problems with them. I hope that the Cakewalk installers work as well with junctions as some of the installers do not work with the registry changes even though the documentation indicates they should.
    HappyDwarf
    • Total Posts : 22
    Re:Moving Dim Pro, Rapture, and Z3Ta+ 2 Folders in X2 2013/08/02 15:22:44 (permalink)
    Wouldn't it be awesome if Cakewalk provided programs to do the moving automatically? Or even just registry repairs for all the cakewalk programs?
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re:Moving Dim Pro, Rapture, and Z3Ta+ 2 Folders in X2 2013/08/02 15:29:47 (permalink)
    In case you have never had the occasion to use it, there is a feature request form where you can submit your ideas directly to Cakewalk http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/FeatureRequest.asp
    TheSteven
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2037
    Re:Moving Dim Pro, Rapture, and Z3Ta+ 2 Folders in X2 2013/10/16 14:02:29 (permalink)
    scook
    Yeah, the registry changes are the only method documented in the knowledge base. Junctions are easier to implement. I have had good results using junctions, for example, the sample libraries in Toontrack and the installers have no problems with them. I hope that the Cakewalk installers work as well with junctions as some of the installers do not work with the registry changes even though the documentation indicates they should.

Junctions? Not familiar with that term in the context that you are using it in.
    What are you referring to?

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
    My Tunes
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re:Moving Dim Pro, Rapture, and Z3Ta+ 2 Folders in X2 2013/10/16 14:03:40 (permalink)
    The DOS command mklink /j option.
    TheSteven
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2037
    Re:Moving Dim Pro, Rapture, and Z3Ta+ 2 Folders in X2 2013/10/16 15:48:53 (permalink)
    scook
    The DOS command mklink /j option.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!
    I've done the equivalent in Lynux but wasn't aware that Windows had this capability!

In need to re-org my project drive because its running out of space and mklink should make that fairly painless.

...Steven

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
    My Tunes
    BBFG#
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 66
    Re:Moving Dim Pro, Rapture, and Z3Ta+ 2 Folders in X2 2013/10/16 16:13:14 (permalink)
    Even though I originally installed all of X2 and sound synths on my D:drive, I've run into a couple of anamolies with Z3ta+2 and Rapture in that they created folders on both the C: and D: drive. It has become a problem in loading third party sounds into Rapture (Z3ta+2 seems to work fine). My first thought, before reading this was to try uninstalling Rapture in the Control Panel and re-installing it. Would that automatically kill the old registry keys and write new ones? Or can I expect to have to go through doing them manually anyway? It would also be nice to know their default folder paths (especially hidden ones) to be able to correct these anamolies. 

Any other considerations I should be aware of?
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re:Moving Dim Pro, Rapture, and Z3Ta+ 2 Folders in X2 2013/10/16 16:28:54 (permalink)
    Uninstalling is not going to affect the registry. If you are going to re-install Rapture, consider using the installer provided as a standalone for X2 http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/kb/reader.aspx/2007013294 .

I would also not mess the with data stored in c:\ProgramData. It does not take that much space and is the only hidden portion of Rapture.

As far as the portion that default to "C:\Program Data\Cakewalk\Rapture" for some reason, the new installers ignore the rp registry entries so you can either continue to move expansion packs by hand or forget about the registry when relocating the files and use mklink to create pointers to the new locations. For that matter, you can skip the re-install and create the appropriate links now as if you had installed in the default location. That should be sufficient for future expansion pack installations.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1