Helpful ReplyMidi events appear to be written sooner than they should

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
jackasspenguin
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 160
2012/12/05 15:13:42 (permalink)

Midi events appear to be written sooner than they should

I've tried and tried to play along with the metronome and get my events in time with the tempo of the track but what I think is correct is always too soon.  one would think it would be the other way around considering. But yeah! I've stuck some kick drum hits on all the quarters and when I play it back with some other drum elements that are on the grid, the hits are always at least a 16th too soon. I can't record any piano or anything on the fly without having to quantize or manually align the events on the grid to make it sound right. 

I suppose I couldn't input quantize to remedy this but I don't really want to do that. When I have, it just ruins the performance. I can get away with that with some instruments but piano and the such is just impossible.

I've looked at some of the midi preferences to see if there is something to change. Although, I'm just not too familiar with what some of them mean. What does Nudge do? It was default to 10 and I changed it to 0 just to see if that had something to do with it but I don't see any difference. I've tried everything I can think of to see what's going on here. I've used the metronome along with some aligned grid elements. Both the metronome and the grid elements sound in tempo with each other. But for whatever reason if I play along with it, everything is too soon. When I look at the step sequencer, every event is equally too soon. And when I play it back, it sounds too soon. Can this be adjusted or something? One would think the time it takes for the sound of the metronome to reach the ear, then play a note on the keyboard that the events would lag. But that isn't the case here. Weird! 

Windows 7 64 Bit
i5-3570 3.4 Ghz
ASUS Thunderbolt P8Z77-V
8GB Ram
MOTU 896mk3 
Axiom 61  
Sonar X3e 
NI Komplete 9 Ultimate
Omnisphere
Reason 7

auto_da_fe
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1866
Re:Midi events appear to be written sooner than they should 2012/12/05 15:28:02 (permalink)
I notice the same thing.  I was always assuming that my timing was the problem.  I cannot say for sure that i specifically noticed it happening with any hardware or software change, so I just live with it. 

I usually select all the midi notes and nudge 6-10 or so ticks and that seems to do the trick.   

BTW....nudge moves the selected midi note left or right a certain number of midi ticks that you can define.  I just use the defaults

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
Win 10 64 
SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
https://soundcloud.com/airportface
jackasspenguin
Re:Midi events appear to be written sooner than they should 2012/12/05 15:44:34 (permalink)
I'm not sure I understand correctly.  Nudge only effects selected midi events? Can you give me an example of how to use nudge and why? This probably isn't anything that effects my situation so I'll just put it back on 10 and move on.

There has to be some sort of compensation going on.

Thanks!

Windows 7 64 Bit
i5-3570 3.4 Ghz
ASUS Thunderbolt P8Z77-V
8GB Ram
MOTU 896mk3 
Axiom 61  
Sonar X3e 
NI Komplete 9 Ultimate
Omnisphere
Reason 7

jackasspenguin
Re:Midi events appear to be written sooner than they should 2012/12/05 16:03:09 (permalink)
I submitted a ticket to technical support. I'll find out what they say and get back with you.

Windows 7 64 Bit
i5-3570 3.4 Ghz
ASUS Thunderbolt P8Z77-V
8GB Ram
MOTU 896mk3 
Axiom 61  
Sonar X3e 
NI Komplete 9 Ultimate
Omnisphere
Reason 7

Grent
  • Total Posts : 152
Re:Midi events appear to be written sooner than they should 2012/12/06 12:11:17 (permalink)
I've had that since 8.5 (I believe): MIDI events are recorded about a 32th too early. Which means overcompensation at some point.
I never really got around those MIDI-Settings ("midi latency compensation?") to correct this behavior.

Using an Edirol FA-66 audio interface by the way ...

I always Quantize or move, or delay every single MIDI-track.

But this is definitely not the way to go. Please keep us posted!
jackasspenguin
Re:Midi events appear to be written sooner than they should 2012/12/06 17:51:14 (permalink)
This is what they told me and it didn't do a thing to improve my situation at all!

Click Edit | Preferences and select the Playback and Recording Section from the left-hand column. Set your Driver Mode to ASIO, and click Apply.

Next, select the Devices section:

Make sure your MOTU is selected under both inputs and outputs. If it appears grayed out, deselect all drivers, in both inputs and outputs, then select the MOTU device. If changes are made, click Apply.

NOTE: MOTU also provides very reliable WDM drivers. If you experience problems in ASIO Driver Mode, you may want to consider using WDM as an alternative.

Select the Driver Settings section:

Make sure one of your MOTU card drivers is selected as Playback Timing master. For most users you'll want to set this to be either MAIN or Analog outputs 1/2. Click OK.

Finally, all audio playback will occur from the MOTU device itself. Make sure you have your speakers or headphones connected to its outputs.

On the Sync and Caching tab of the Preferences make sure the "Use ASIO Reported Latency" box is checked. There is also a manual offset here which you would not typically touch, but can be used to manually adjust the delay compensation.

Where is the adjust delay compensation knob? Why would I use anything other than ASIO drivers? Is Changing them to WDM going to fix the delay compensation?  I'm going to keep at it. Hopefully someone in the forum knows the trick and will post a reply!

Windows 7 64 Bit
i5-3570 3.4 Ghz
ASUS Thunderbolt P8Z77-V
8GB Ram
MOTU 896mk3 
Axiom 61  
Sonar X3e 
NI Komplete 9 Ultimate
Omnisphere
Reason 7

Goddard
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 338
Re:Midi events appear to be written sooner than they should 2012/12/07 09:24:41 (permalink)
Be aware of timestamping, and that ASIO and VST are timed differently than WDM MIDI and audio (using different timing calls and timebases/clocks  in Windows), which may sometimes raise issues which changing the "ignore timestamps" setting in Sonar may not resolve (or may only worsen).

^^^^^^^ 
Perhaps a Sonar developer with more intimate knowledge on this subject would be so kind as to offer comment? 

These links may be of interest: 

http://www.eigenzone.org/2012/12/04/midi-jitter 

http://earthvegaconnectio...ditest/developers.html 

http://www.tim-carter.com...enuId=22&ItemId=10 
jackasspenguin
Re:Midi events appear to be written sooner than they should 2012/12/07 14:02:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby sonarman1 2016/05/17 02:48:05
OK, this is what I stumbled on. I was given some things to look into by tech support.  But, nothing really made any difference. However, I discovered under Synchronization  Full Chase Lock, there is a field called (Best When Chasing to Midi Time Code) That's what you want to adjust! Mine was at 0, so I cranked it up to 200 and wow, way over shot the markers! I was almost a 1/4 measure off. So I pulled it back in to 75 and that's really close to what I need it to be. I'm basically just in front or behind the landmarks in the time ruler when recording consistently!

You can do a test and see how close you are to nailing some hhat or kick stabs in time with the metronome and see how well you can get close to the landmarks in the piano roll or time ruler. If you are constantly in front or behind I suppose you can adjust that value so that it's more consistent. That will help your quantizing do it's job better and or less often. I suppose it just depends on how you roll! lol

Windows 7 64 Bit
i5-3570 3.4 Ghz
ASUS Thunderbolt P8Z77-V
8GB Ram
MOTU 896mk3 
Axiom 61  
Sonar X3e 
NI Komplete 9 Ultimate
Omnisphere
Reason 7

stickman393
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1528
Re:Midi events appear to be written sooner than they should 2013/03/27 00:50:47 (permalink)
This worked for me, at a setting of 15 ms. That was sufficient to pull the MIDI notes back to where I think they should be, even considering my erratic performance timing.

Thank you, Jackass.
steplander
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 42
Re:Midi events appear to be written sooner than they should 2013/07/01 22:19:17 (permalink)
Yes MIDI records too early!
I've been talking to the good people at Cakewalk for years about this.
I save the e-mails and it's interesting how HALF the emails state that the problem MUST be my hardware (it's not) and the other half ADMIT the problem exists.
I received promises that the problem would be fixed in future releases but it never has been fixed.
This is what I believe is happening:
During RECORD only, the Previously recorded audio tracks and the Audio metronome trigger slightly early to compensate for a tiny bit of latency that occurs when recording the new track. I have a feeling that the designers are thinking that if you hear the previous tracks and the audio metronome a fraction-of-a-second-early you're latent-by-a-fraction-of-a-second recording will line up.
So, if you record ONLY audio tracks, you'll never notice any problems.
But if you record a MIDI track, and HEAR the audio tracks or Audio Metronome trigger early, your MIDI tracks will end up planting themselves too early in the recording during playback.
I've noticed, while watching the audio time line, that the AUDIO metronome fires BEFORE the beat during recording but fires ON the beat during regular playback.
Jackasspenguin's suggestion to adjust the TIMING OFFSET is a good work-around. (Thank you!) I set mine at 25 msec and the MIDI tracks land pretty much where they should now.
But... It shouldn't have to be this way.

tunekicker
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1261
Re:Midi events appear to be written sooner than they should 2013/07/02 12:41:59 (permalink)
stickman393
This worked for me, at a setting of 15 ms. That was sufficient to pull the MIDI notes back to where I think they should be, even considering my erratic performance timing.

Thank you, Jackass.

Finding a workaround and getting someone to say "Thank you, Jackass." That's pretty awesome.
kzmaier
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 461
Re:Midi events appear to be written sooner than they should 2013/07/03 10:41:09 (permalink)
I also see this and wish it would get fixed.  I see this when I connect a external midi drum machine and set Sonar X to use midi clock/sync, I see the midi data written early.  When I record with internal clock, monitoring audio tracks its also early?  In this case I usually edit the midi manually.  I must admit I have run these tests in X1 but also own X2.  Given my limited time in the studio, I choose to create over test and calibrate.  If I had the time I would gladly do both. 

Best Regards,
Ken
Bandlab Cakewalk - i5/8G Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Boss gt001

www.reverbnation.com/kzmaier

steplander
Re: Midi events appear to be written sooner than they should 2016/05/08 17:15:31 (permalink)
And the monster is back.
Despite switching to DAWS that actually work, I have too many clients that keep working projects in the SONAR realm and leave me to have to open these projects in SONAR X3 to continue work.
So, after years of battling with cakewalk regarding this issue, I finally have seen where the center of the bug is: It's not that SONAR is recording too early (not really) it's that the METRONOME is firing too early. Since it fires early, and we play along to the click... the recordings LOOK like they are recording too early.
The click is firing about a 64th note earlier than the measure.
I ran two tests on video to prove the point. One is a high speed video showing the click banging just before the measure.
The other is a simple STOP after the metronome fires and the cursor is sitting there, about a 64th note space, before the measure.
Now, with all of the changes at Cakewalk, it appears they no longer support any of the Sonar products. (!!)
So, there is nobody I can contact to get this paid attention to.
Has anyone been able to figure out how to repair this bug or get around it so the metronome fires ON the beat?

tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: Midi events appear to be written sooner than they should 2016/05/08 21:21:44 (permalink)
This 12 year old chestnut takes exactly 30 seconds to disprove in Sonar Platinum thanks to Aux tracks. If you create an Aux track and directly record the output of the metronome bus it is precisely in time. 

Sorry dude -  12 years on and either there is something askew on your system or you are still playing ahead of the beat:)
post edited by tenfoot - 2016/05/08 23:09:26

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
icontakt
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4266
Re: Midi events appear to be written sooner than they should 2016/05/09 00:56:21 (permalink)
steplander
I ran two tests on video to prove the point. One is a high speed video showing the click banging just before the measure.
The other is a simple STOP after the metronome fires and the cursor is sitting there, about a 64th note space, before the measure.
Now, with all of the changes at Cakewalk, it appears they no longer support any of the Sonar products. (!!)
So, there is nobody I can contact to get this paid attention to.
Has anyone been able to figure out how to repair this bug or get around it so the metronome fires ON the beat?

I suggest you create a support ticket attaching those videos.
https://www.cakewalk.com/Support

post edited by icontakt - 2016/05/09 01:18:32

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Audio Interface: iD14 (ASIO)
Keyboard Controller/MIDI Interface: A-800PRO
DAW: SONAR Platinum x64 (latest update installed)
Grent
  • Total Posts : 152
Re: Midi events appear to be written sooner than they should 2016/05/09 04:08:51 (permalink)
tenfoot
This 12 year old chestnut takes exactly 30 seconds to disprove in Sonar Platinum thanks to Aux tracks. If you create an Aux track and directly record the output of the metronome bus it is precisely in time. 

Sorry dude -  12 years on and either there is something askew on your system or you are still playing ahead of the beat:)

He is writing about Sonar X3 though.

@steplander:
Does this also happen with a brand new Sonar X3 project?
Back in the day I found a few unusual differences between a new Sonar X3 project and Sonar 8 projects opened in X3.
tenfoot
Re: Midi events appear to be written sooner than they should 2016/05/09 04:33:08 (permalink)
Grent
tenfoot

He is writing about Sonar X3 though.

Yes,  but it seems extraordinarily unlikely the metronome has been playing out of time for 12 years and they left it until now to fix it. 

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
brundlefly
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re: Midi events appear to be written sooner than they should 2016/05/10 02:16:39 (permalink)
As best I can tell from trying to help various users with this issue over the years, this is an interoperability issue with certain system/interface/driver combinations that affects a relatively small percentage of SONAR installations and is not peculiar to any particular version of SONAR.

I'm inclined to advise that you bite the bullet and get a new interface as I don't recall anyone ever completely resolving this by changing settings, though I would say changing driver modes is your best bet, and you should definitely check Playback and Record Timing Master assignments, etc. Setting a Timing Offset as suggested earlier in the thread is a workaround that should not be necessary, and will cause other problems, especially if you use both software and hardware synths.

My current system, and every system I've ever owned will record simultaneous MIDI and audio from a keyboard synth with near-perfect sync affected only by uncompensated MIDI transmission latency that inevitably causes MIDI to be recorded a few milliseconds late relative to perfectly compensated audio (including SONAR's metronome if patched back to an input) - never early. So I'm confident know there's no inherent fault in SONAR independent of hardware it's running on.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Midi events appear to be written sooner than they should 2016/05/10 08:05:49 (permalink)
I've had good luck using a dedicated midi interface that is completely separate from my audio interface. Some audio interfaces have fairly poor midi interfaces.

Regards,
Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
M@
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 221
Re: Midi events appear to be written sooner than they should 2016/05/10 09:11:45 (permalink)
I have a feeling vst's Plugin Delay Compensation has to do with this....I had an issue once but can'take remember exactly what it was.

Tracking: Sonar Platinum (X3 Producer, X2 studio, X1 expanded, 8.3) (64bit)
System: Win10 Pro (64bit), Asus  P8Z77 V Le Plus, I7-3770k, 16GB Ram, SSD System drive, Raid1 Recording & Backup drive, VS-700 Set, TC Konnekt 48
Instruments: Roland Juno Stage, Kawai CA5, Washburn X50Pro, Blackstar-One100, Merida,...
kzmaier
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 461
Re: Midi events appear to be written sooner than they should 2016/05/10 11:12:21 (permalink)
Just tested with Sonar Plat 4/2016 and saw midi notes written as expected.  I tested by putting a mic over my midi controller so when I hit a midi note the click of the key was also recorded on an audio track.  I enabled recording of the midi in and mic audio.  Both events line up as expected.  As for my timing, that's another story.

Best Regards,
Ken
Bandlab Cakewalk - i5/8G Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Boss gt001

www.reverbnation.com/kzmaier

steplander
Re: Midi events appear to be written sooner than they should 2016/05/15 16:08:54 (permalink)
(chuckling) "Playing ahead of the beat".
No... I'm not having the  same issue in Cubase and other programs. Just Cakewalk.
I did not upgrade to the new version because Cakewalk had promised to fix the (known) issue for a few version but it never was fixed.
I tried to open a ticket so I could include vid, but there appears to be no support option for Cakewalk X3 (or at least for me... The option is no longer available from the support drop down.)
I have changed computers a few times and the issue stays.
I think everyone who replied.
Maybe I just have to keep aiming my projects into cubase.
Step
sonarman1
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 255
Re: Midi events appear to be written sooner than they should 2016/05/16 03:37:07 (permalink)
Have you selected another driver in other programs and another one in Sonar. I have the same issue in all my daws. May be the core issue is diff for me. Yet do confirm once again.
steplander
Re: Midi events appear to be written sooner than they should 2016/05/16 21:37:40 (permalink)
Same ASIO driver in the DAWs I've used. Cubase seems to work realy well, although I don't like mixing in Cubase. Mixing in Sonar is great fro me once I tediously correct each track. 
I'm considering tracking in Cubase and exporting the stems to Cakewalk for final mixing.

steplander
Re: Midi events appear to be written sooner than they should 2016/05/16 22:19:42 (permalink)
For those who need proof.
Here's the demonstration:
I record a CLICK on every 1/4 note. 
Quantize.
Play the track.
While playing, I turn the meronome on and the metronome can be heard firing before the beat.
Link to video demonstrating this:
https://youtu.be/KX-JkSnLJjE
Suggestions welcome.
It's been YEARS and Cakewalk has yet to fix this one. They have admitted it is a bug that exists but they do nothing more than promise that it will be fixed "in the next version."
It never is.
sonarman1
Re: Midi events appear to be written sooner than they should 2016/05/16 23:50:02 (permalink)
Thats odd. I have tried to recreate your metronome sync problem you demonstrated in the video. To me the metronome is always in sync provided the notes are quantised. Do you have any problem like the midi notes appearing early as well? if not then this is something particular abt the metronome and diff from the OP's problem. As far as I can remember I have my midi notes appearing ahead problem in all my daws.  If you have problem with midi notes timing as well and it does not occur in Cubase, then I am gonna trial cubase and check. 
post edited by sonarman1 - 2016/05/17 00:15:25
tenfoot
Re: Midi events appear to be written sooner than they should 2016/05/17 00:22:18 (permalink)
Wow - I see what you mean. I have never encountered this issue myself. Is the metronome triggering via audio or midi?

Bruce.

sonarman1
Re: Midi events appear to be written sooner than they should 2016/05/17 00:26:40 (permalink)
Here's a thread I started demonstrating the same. http://forum.cakewalk.com/Natural-Human-playing-in-the-PRV-grid-m3398979.aspx It was doubted that I am experiencing this problem as I am using my inbuilt soundcard to record. Which may be the cause. Too tempted to spend money on sample libraries I still haven't got a dedicated audio interface. But here it seems people with dedicated interfaces are also experiencing the same problem. 

Do go through this thread. http://forum.cakewalk.com/Natural-Human-playing-in-the-PRV-grid-m3398979.aspx We haven't reached to any solution but you will get an idea how to easily move the notes to the exact ticks so that they get placed where they should be.
If time is of essence I will copy paste two posts from that thread in my next post. Go through it

post edited by sonarman1 - 2016/05/17 02:11:02
sonarman1
Re: Midi events appear to be written sooner than they should 2016/05/17 00:35:18 (permalink)
You can see most notes are ahead of the grid line.

120bpm 31ms rountrip latency

(open in new tab for high res)

75bpm 31ms roundtrip latency

Diff one with same 75bpm 31ms roundtrip latency

sonarman1
Re: Midi events appear to be written sooner than they should 2016/05/17 01:01:04 (permalink)
I agree with some of you guys telling  'if it sounds right, it is right'. That's true that's the only thing that matters. What I have noticed always is that when I play and record it sounds so perfect but when I play back the recorded midi take I notice a bit of unnatural sync. Very minute though. I move the recorded notes a bit towards the grid and it sounds better.

here is what I did.
I recorded a take with synth audio track armed. 
This is what I got

Zoomed in

The audio was 10ms delayed than the midi note.

Then I noticed that My ASIO reported total roundtrip latency is 10.9ms as well

I changed my ASIO buffer size to max.

Now the reported total roundtrip latency is 100.9ms

Now I recorded a take again with synth audio track armed.

Got this

Zoomed In

The audio here was 100ms delayed than the midi note 

So although the midi note got recorded few ms ahead of the beat the audio is where it should be. 
So I can leave the notes there itself right? NO NO NO!!!! BIG NO!

Now I deleted the recorded synth's audio. And recorded it again(only the audio from the pre recorded midi). This will help me know whether the audio will still be delayed than the midi note while playing back the recorded midi.

This is what I got 
For 10ms

For 100ms

As you guys can see. The audio gets played just where the midi notes are without any delay.

What can we conclude from this-

1.While recording if there is latency in roundtrip. There is a latency between audio and midi. We humans will play the notes slightly ahead so that our ears will perceive the audio in sync with the timing of the metronome/other instruments. Yes the audio we hear while we play is  correctly in sync, but inorder to sync the audio we compromise by playing the notes slightly ahead
OR
The DAW records them slightly ahead so that we hear the audio in sync. (I am not sure which case is true but either way we know that the midi is recorded slightly ahead depending on the latency)

2.However while we playback there is no latency between audio and midi and we end up hearing the audio aswell slightly ahead of the beat(if the midi notes are ahead of the beats)

How can we fix this

1.Move all the midi notes exactly __ms forward(depending on your reported latency)
2.You can also record the audio along with the midi while recording and then keep the audio and delete the midi.(This is not a good idea though as you cant edit the midi notes.  what's the advantage of using midi then)
3.Record the audio along with the midi and then move and align the midi notes straight to the audio transients and go on and delete the audio.

Point 1. will work for me.

But is there someother way to do this much more easily?

brundlefly mentions of having timing offset in preferences. Can that help. May be!

Or may be Bakers can provide us with an potion to override this automatically in sonar. May be we need a Midi Delay Compensation  Guess we will be the first to introduce that. 

I am no expert. Just a lay user wondering of stuffs. If I have noted something technically wrong here please correct me.

Thanks.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1