[Solved] Recorded clips randomly disappear when recording stops

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
millzy
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 890
2013/01/24 18:30:28 (permalink)

[Solved] Recorded clips randomly disappear when recording stops

I've seen this reported before by a few others some time back but haven't read of a solution. Until X2 I've never experienced this but i'm sure it must be a setting (buffers etc ??)   

When I am recording I will see the recorded clip in progress and everything seems to be running smoothly, but once I hit the space bar or press the stop button to stop the recording, the part I just recorded will instantly delete/disappear without trace. This is intermittent and happens on either new or old projects. Has also happens to midi as well as audio. I lost a killer bass line I laid down a few nights back   

Appreciate any help on this one. Set up:

X2a Producer 64bit, Win 7 64bit, i7,3770k cpu, 16gig ram, RME Babyface audio interface.

Millzy

i7 3770K, 16gb ram, Samsung EVO SSD, 2 x WD drives, RME Babyface, Win 10 (x64), Cakewalk by Bandlab, heaps of other stuff.

32 Replies Related Threads

Beepster
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 18001
    Re:Recorded clips randomly disappear when recording stops 2013/01/24 18:52:26 (permalink)
    hmm... Do you have lanes open when this happens? If not maybe check to see if they're in there and it's a glitch not playing them back for some reason. Does an Undo do anything? I say this because maybe a bug is deleting them and the undo may bring it back (and if the undo deletes a previous move obviously you can just use redo).

IDK... that's a weird one.
    Beepster
    Re:Recorded clips randomly disappear when recording stops 2013/01/24 18:54:05 (permalink)
    Or maybe you have things set to delete previous take and somehow it's thinking you've recorded a new snippet after the actual take... thus deleting it.

Just brainstorming.
    rcklln
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 421
    Re:Recorded clips randomly disappear when recording stops 2013/01/24 19:06:41 (permalink)
    Have had that happen a couple times with 8.5.3 when recording audio tracks. I remember wondering what I did wrong  - during the recording I could see the waveform but as soon as I stopped the recording the entire clip was gone. Pretty sure I tried undo and looked in the audio folder for a new file but no luck. Out of the many sessions over the last couple of years with 8.5.3 it probably happened 3 or 4 times.
    millzy
    Re:Recorded clips randomly disappear when recording stops 2013/01/24 19:09:38 (permalink)
    Hey Beepster, thanks for your input here. 

I checked the lanes and no sign of them, and also no audio on playback so they're definitely not hidden somewhere. It's weird, sometimes the recordings 'stick' and sometimes they vanish into the unknown! I've written to tech support also but i noticed a few others reporting this some time ago - nobody seems to have figured it out thus far.

Millzy

i7 3770K, 16gb ram, Samsung EVO SSD, 2 x WD drives, RME Babyface, Win 10 (x64), Cakewalk by Bandlab, heaps of other stuff.
    millzy
    Re:Recorded clips randomly disappear when recording stops 2013/01/24 19:11:52 (permalink)
    Hey rcklln, yeah thats it! That's what happens. It must be a buffer setting or something like that as it never happened to me on X1. I'll keep fiddling in the mean time but please keep any suggestions coming, cheers in advance.

Millzy

Beepster
    Re:Recorded clips randomly disappear when recording stops 2013/01/24 19:30:56 (permalink)
    That's definitely a bad bug. Especially for those recording clients. 

IDK... maybe try doubling the track so it's recording into two tracks at once? One might survive. I doubt that'll help though and it's a pretty silly thing to have to resort to.

Are you using auto punch/loop record? If so check your Record Preferences for "Delete Previous Take". If it is engaged try disabling it.

Do you have the track selected while recording (not just in focus)? If it is actually selected try making sure that the armed track (or any track for that matter) isn't selected (Ctrl + Shift + A to unselect All). There are some bad selection problems going on so MAYBE that's part of it.

I'll keep thinking but I think I've scraped the bottom of my barrel.

Cheers.
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Recorded clips randomly disappear when recording stops 2013/01/24 20:01:11 (permalink)
    If what is being said is happening something is really wrong. This is a fundamental ability of any DAW to record reliably whether it be MIDI or audio.  The OP should submit a problem report ASAP and also contact tech support ASAP. This should not be accepted under any circumstances. If it ever happened to me I would be screaming loud and often. 

Best
    John
    digi2ns
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2694
    Re:Recorded clips randomly disappear when recording stops 2013/01/24 20:25:00 (permalink)
    millzy

I've seen this reported before by a few others some time back but haven't read of a solution. Until X2 I've never experienced this but i'm sure it must be a setting (buffers etc ??)   

When I am recording I will see the recorded clip in progress and everything seems to be running smoothly, but once I hit the space bar or press the stop button to stop the recording, the part I just recorded will instantly delete/disappear without trace. This is intermittent and happens on either new or old projects. Has also happens to midi as well as audio. I lost a killer bass line I laid down a few nights back   

Appreciate any help on this one. Set up:

X2a Producer 64bit, Win 7 64bit, i7,3770k cpu, 16gig ram, RME Babyface audio interface.

Ive had it happen PLENTY of times intermittently in X1. I got in the habbit of hitting record and stop, then recording just to try and get around it.  Its the intermittent thing that sux cause ya never know when it will hit ya. 

Recently rebuilt computer and reloaded everything and havent seen it as of yet.  

Not sure what causing it,  Not sure if I remember it in 8 or 8.5 either

MIKE

--Dell Studio XPS I7/870 2.93 Ghz, 8GB Mem, 2-2TB Barracuda HDs, 500 GB Ext.HDD, Win7/64
    --X1 64 Pro Expanded, Dual 21" Monitors 
    --PCR500  
    --MAUDIO FastTrack Ultra
    --Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO
    --Line6 X3 Live
    --Gibson, Fender, Takamine, Schecter, Washburn
    http://pogopoppa.wix.com/5thgear#
     http://soundcloud.com/digi2ns  

Tom Riggs
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1752
    Re:Recorded clips randomly disappear when recording stops 2013/01/24 20:28:16 (permalink)
    I have only seen this when the audio device gets disconnected during recording. At the time I was using a firewire device. The cable was disconnected during the recording.

i7-3770k OC at 4.5Ghz, asus p8z77-m, 16g g.skill aries 1600 c9 ram, Noctua d-14 cooler, RME HDSPe Raydat, Motu FastLane, Nvidea GTX 980 ti 6G, windows 7 and 8.1 pro x64. Sonar Platinum and x3e currently installed

My Music 
    My YouTube

mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re:Recorded clips randomly disappear when recording stops 2013/01/24 20:46:20 (permalink)
    try emptying your picture cache.
    there may actually be an audio file created but no graphical representation.
    this has worked for me in the past.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    millzy
    Re:Recorded clips randomly disappear when recording stops 2013/01/24 21:00:14 (permalink)
    John

If what is being said is happening something is really wrong. This is a fundamental ability of any DAW to record reliably whether it be MIDI or audio.  The OP should submit a problem report ASAP and also contact tech support ASAP. This should not be accepted under any circumstances. If it ever happened to me I would be screaming loud and often. 

Hi John, I have contacted tech support and will wait for their response, I agree with you this is not acceptable. I was screaming big time after a really nice bass take i laid down didnt 'stick'. I couldnt believe it when I hit the spacebar to stop recording and my clip just evaporated!!

Millzy

millzy
    Re:Recorded clips randomly disappear when recording stops 2013/01/24 21:02:52 (permalink)
    try emptying your picture cache. there may actually be an audio file created but no graphical representation. this has worked for me in the past.

Hey Mike cheers, haven't played with the pic cache yet but the audio is definitely not there because on playback there is nothing.

Millzy

John
    Forum Host
    Re:Recorded clips randomly disappear when recording stops 2013/01/24 21:12:54 (permalink)
    millzy

John

Hi John, I have contacted tech support and will wait for their response, I agree with you this is not acceptable. I was screaming big time after a really nice bass take i laid down didnt 'stick'. I couldnt believe it when I hit the spacebar to stop recording and my clip just evaporated!!

Hi Millzy you are handling this well. I truly feel for you. I hope its a simple fix. 

Best
    John
    brconflict
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1891
    Re:Recorded clips randomly disappear when recording stops 2013/01/25 09:24:48 (permalink)
    One of the things I have to consider when recording a session is risk. In this case, would be risk of the DAW. In the last several sessions I've had to go back to X1 or over to a completely different DAW just to track, then import the audio into X2a for mixing. All for different reasons, but the primary reason is unpredictability of X2a. In the case of the missing track, I've not run into this one, specifically, but something very similar. The picture cache was the culprit. Seem like an ill-fated design, maybe left over from earlier versions perhaps where the engineer didn't have the horsepower in the PC to render the "waveforms" (more appropriately named, btw).
    maxsax
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    Re:Recorded clips randomly disappear when recording stops 2013/01/25 12:26:58 (permalink)
    This also happens to me on almost every session. I'll do a few takes maybe as many as 5 or 6 though sometimes less and then a take will unexpectedly only render the first part. The length varies from nothing to nearly the whole of a five minute track. I'm only recording one mono track at 44.1

Important to note that this happened to me using every version of Sonar since 7 but I also had it happen as far back as logic 5.? on different hardware. The one constant is my RME sound card.

I suppose I've just come to accept it as one of the drawbacks of DAW recording as opposed to dedicated digital hardware recording.

http://www.saxatronica.co.uk/
    http://www.martinsharpe.com/

Q660, Asus P5K SE, 2 Gig RAM, Windows 8 Pro 32bit RME 9632 ASIO X2A
    wruess
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 83
    Re:Recorded clips randomly disappear when recording stops 2013/01/25 15:43:39 (permalink)
    I have seen this unpredictable behavior especially when punching on an existing track.  Everything seems to be working - I actually see a wave form generated on the screen in the punch area.  Stop recording and the graphic disappears and nothing was recorded.  Re-do the exact same punch (without changing a single setting) and it works just fine.  

This is a totally random (and thankfully rare) problem that was also present for me in X1, and with a different audio interface.
    joeb1cannoli
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 199
    Re:Recorded clips randomly disappear when recording stops 2013/01/25 21:09:12 (permalink)
     I've experienced this also.
     I just opened a project in X2 to do some testing.
     I noticed that the Punch in/out button was lit in the control bar and the in/out selection spanned the entire project.
     Note that I have never manually turned on the punch in/out function. If I disarm the punch button and try to record, the wave form will draw and when I stop the project, the wave form and audio will disappear. 
      If I leave the Punch in/out button lit and try to record , it works fine. The audio doesn't disappear. 
      This is happening on a newly created audio track with no other takes on it. 

http://soundcloud.com/joe-b-10
    Windows 10 Pro x64, 6 core, Core i7 , 16GB ram
    Sonar Platinum , Komplete 8, Ozone 8  
    Presonus Studio 192 and DP88 ,uad-2 solo
    joeb1cannoli
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 199
    Re:Recorded clips randomly disappear when recording stops 2013/01/25 21:22:43 (permalink)
     I just discovered that if I deselect "Allow Arm Changes During Playback/Record" in Preferences under Project/Recording mode,the problem goes away. 

http://soundcloud.com/joe-b-10
    Windows 10 Pro x64, 6 core, Core i7 , 16GB ram
    Sonar Platinum , Komplete 8, Ozone 8  
    Presonus Studio 192 and DP88 ,uad-2 solo
    millzy
    Re:Recorded clips randomly disappear when recording stops 2013/01/26 19:10:50 (permalink)
    Thanks all for your suggestions etc I'm out of town until Monday so I I'll keep tweaking when I return. In the mean time I've had no response from tech support. I can't wait to get to the bottom of this, I'm convinced it has to be fixable. Stat tuned folks.....

Millzy

millzy
    Re:Recorded clips randomly disappear when recording stops 2013/01/28 01:57:42 (permalink)
    joeb1cannoli

I just discovered that if I deselect "Allow Arm Changes During Playback/Record" in Preferences under Project/Recording mode,the problem goes away. 

Yes sir! That is it, BUT there's more!

OK after a few hours of fiddling with settings i found that with "Allow Arm Changes During Playback/Record" checked under Preferences, recorded audio clips disappear if the recording has been initiated by pressing 'R' or using the record button on the transport. If the track was played first, then 'R' or record hit during playback, the recordings 'stick'. One extremely strange exception to this however, is, if the recording is in a looped region, it all works as it should no matter how the recording was started. What the??

Un-checking this option in Preferences allows all recorded clips to 'stick' no matter how they were initiated (ie 'play' doesnt have to be pressed prior to record.)
    MIDI seems unaffected by this setting at the moment, however i'm sure I had a midi clip 'evaporate' on me as well the other night! Maybe there is more to the recipe.

Anyway, I'm going to test this on a few more projects and if I can create a repeatable recipe I'll be submitting a bug report. Thanks heaps to all for your input and to Joe for nailing the workaround!! At least for now I can make my recordings 'stick'!

Millzy

John
    Forum Host
    Re:Recorded clips randomly disappear when recording stops 2013/01/28 02:15:32 (permalink)
    You guys deserve a medal for all the hard work you put in to figure this out. You should inform CW of your findings. Great job!

Best
    John
    millzy
    Re:Recorded clips randomly disappear when recording stops 2013/01/28 04:04:30 (permalink)
    Thanks John!

Millzy

Tom Riggs
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1752
    Re:Recorded clips randomly disappear when recording stops 2013/01/28 05:56:52 (permalink)
    be sure to submit a trouble report.

i7-3770k OC at 4.5Ghz, asus p8z77-m, 16g g.skill aries 1600 c9 ram, Noctua d-14 cooler, RME HDSPe Raydat, Motu FastLane, Nvidea GTX 980 ti 6G, windows 7 and 8.1 pro x64. Sonar Platinum and x3e currently installed

My Music 
    My YouTube

maxsax
    Re:Recorded clips randomly disappear when recording stops 2013/01/28 07:05:06 (permalink)
    "Allow Arm Changes During Playback/Record"

I never have this checked. For me it is not the solution to this issue.

millzy
    Re:Recorded clips randomly disappear when recording stops 2013/01/28 07:12:48 (permalink)
    Do you find any difference if you play the track first then press record during playback, versus starting record from standstill with R or transport record?

Millzy

maxsax
    Re:Recorded clips randomly disappear when recording stops 2013/01/28 07:32:10 (permalink)
    No.

I think it is a memory - writing to disc issue.

Beepster
    Re:Recorded clips randomly disappear when recording stops 2013/01/28 07:35:33 (permalink)
    hhrrmmm... I think I have that enabled but I've only been working with MIDI recently. I'll give it a test later.

I really hope Cake is getting another patch ready for release. I'm finding more and more bugs as I go a long and I've started having weird crashes on occasion when doing really simple stuff... and no it's not the system. I have the Performance Module living in my Control Bar now and I'm BARELY putting a dent in my CPU/RAM usage. 

Not cool. I can understand obscure bugs that people might not encounter often or are system specific but a lot of this should have been caught in alpha testing.
    wruess
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 83
    Re:Recorded clips randomly disappear when recording stops 2013/01/28 13:57:47 (permalink)
    I also have never had the "Allow Arm Changes During Record/Playback" option checked.  This is definitely NOT the cause of this intermittent problem on my DAW.
    rcklln
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 421
    Re:Recorded clips randomly disappear when recording stops 2013/02/03 01:00:27 (permalink)
    I don't use the "Allow Arm Changes During Record/Playback" option either but I did try selecting it and everything worked ok but it isn't something I have been able to reproduce. For me it is rare and I've had those moments where I have asked myself "did I press play instead of record? No because I saw the waveform....." anyway glad to see you found a way around it.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1