Guitar Tracks 4 Midi tracks

Author
mick roddy
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2013/04/14 19:10:09 (permalink)

Guitar Tracks 4 Midi tracks

Hi
I'm new to all this so first off Hi everyone and second, get ready for some pretty stupid questions.
Ive just got myself a V-Studio 20 with the included guitar tracks software because I liked the look of having a hardware controller designed specifically for a DAW.  Prior to this I have been using Music Creator 6 with a Boss BR800 as an interface/controller but the BR is on the fritz so I decided to go all computer based.

My question is this...

I have just worked out how to use my midi keyboard (M-Audio Oxygen 49) to record a midi track but how do I use the cakewalk sound centre and drop zone plug ins? Or am I just limited to the TTS-1?

Also

Do all midi parts have to be recorded into the 'midi backing track' track at the top?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Cheers

Hang on... I might have sussed it out.  Im guessing the software that came with the v studio is guitar tracks 4 rather than pro 4???
Do I need to upgrade and if so will it allow me to run plug ins like session drummer and play virtual instruments via midi keyboard?
Told you to expect stupid questions!

Thanks 
post edited by bitsleftover - 2013/04/14 19:40:34

6 Replies Related Threads

SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:Guitar Tracks 4 Midi tracks 2013/04/15 03:28:01 (permalink)
    Hi there Michael, welcome to the forum.

I see you've sort of answered your own question, and you are correct - the version of GT4 that is bundled with the VS 20 is pretty limited.

However, there's no need to upgrade to the full 'Pro' version of the software to be able to use all the features of your VS 20. As long as you run the installation disc to install the VS 20's drivers, you will be able to use the included Boss effects, regardless of whether you have GT4 installed or not.

In fact, you can set the VS 20 up as a control surface for your Music Creator 6 software, as well as any Cakewalk recording software. It will even work with some non-Cakewalk software.

As an added benefit, you can also use your VS-20 as your PC's soundcard. It really does integrate perfectly on all levels.

Incidentally, if you are thinking of upgrading from Music Creator/GT4, I'd recommend you take a look at Cakewalk's SONAR range. It comes in three flavours - Producer, Studio and Essentials, the latter is a great gateway product into the range and is quite a bit more sophisticated than GTPro4.

I'm just on the way out now, but if you need any help setting it up, or have any other questions, just let me know.

Steve

post edited by SteveStrummerUK - 2013/04/15 03:32:38

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

mick roddy
    Re:Guitar Tracks 4 Midi tracks 2013/04/15 20:12:43 (permalink)
    Thanks for that Steve,
    The Mrs has got me fitting a bathroom at the minute so Im running a bit short on music time, but as soon as I get chance I will be delving into getting this vs20 up and running properly.
    I quite like the really simple layout of the GT4.  Im coming at this with a view to getting my ideas down with as little faffing around as possible spoiling the flow so to speak.  I seem to spend most of my time scratching my head and scouring the forums for answers and hardly any time making music at the minute. 
    All I am really after is:-

-A simple to use DAW capable of building a song up one track at a time
    capturing my guitar/bass, condenser mic and midi keyboard to add virtual instruments

-Being able to add to those instruments in time with add-ons

- And a biggy... being able to add an editable midi drum track.

I have the SI Drums that were bundled with my music creator 6 but never really got to grips with it.  It again seemed very limited (maybe that is an LE version also?) and I couldn't work out how to edit them.  I never really had time to explore as most of my time was taken up learning my way around the recording software so I just stuck to the Boss Rhythm Editor which I quite liked but you have to have the BR800 connected to use it and since that is now gone Im at a bit of a loss.

Do you know if GT pro 4 will allow me to add Cakewalk instrument expansion packs?

Also,
    Will it allow me to use other drum software?

Thanks for your time,
    Cheers
    Mick

I love the fact that VS20 looks just like the screen and that it works exactly the way it looks as though it should.
    SteveStrummerUK
    Re:Guitar Tracks 4 Midi tracks 2013/04/16 08:33:20 (permalink)
    Hi Mick

Pretty much all Cakewalk digital audio recording software apart from the 'lite' versions (like the GT4 edition that ships with the VS-20) will allow you to do exactly what you wish to do.

Depending on exactly which specific features you want, and on how much you want to spend, GTPro4 and any of the SONAR versions will work perfectly for you, and will work flawlessly with your VS-20.

I'd advise that you check out the features of all four program (I've listed the links below) and then feel free to ask any questions back here and we'll try our best to help you choose the right product for you. To be completely honest with you, the GTPro4 interface is pretty easy to work with, but the GUI and technology are based on Cakewalk's Home Studio 7, which is now 4 or 5 years old, and has now been discontinued.

On the other hand, the SONAR 'X' series is very much the way the company seems to be heading in consolidating its product range. The three versions it comes in are SONAR X2 'Essential', which is the entry level software, the 'Studio' edition adds a lot more sophistication and features, and finally 'Producer' is the flagship version which contains the greatest array of tools and features, including Cakewalk's unique 'Pro Channel' mixing system.

Check out the features of each here:

*   Guitar Tracks Pro 4

*   SONAR X2 Essential

*   SONAR X2 Studio

*   SONAR X2 Producer

*   The full SONAR features are listed HERE

There's a detailed comparison chart for all three SONAR versions HERE

And one thing to remember, if you do decide to upgrade to any of these products, you will, as a registered user of Music Creator (and GT4) be entitled to a quite significant upgrade discount on your purchase.

And talking of MC6, have you tried editing drums with it? Or tried using your VS-20 to control it? You'd be surprised at what a powerful program it is you know!

As to the question of drums, I use three different non-Cakewalk drum products (Toontrack's EZ Drummer; Toontrack's Superior Drummer 2; Steven Slate Drums EX) in my stuff. Of the three, my go-to is EZ Drummer, it's pretty easy to use (although still very tweakable) and sounds amazing. Superior gives me the utmost control over my drum tracks, while the Steven Slate kits add some variation of sounds. As I've already mentioned, they all work perfectly inside my SONAR software.

By the way, if you need some help to get you started, take a quick look at THIS POST I made a while back - it's not meant to be comprehensive, but it does show you the basics of using and editing MIDI drums.

I've also got a 26-page PDF I put together for another member on using Cakewalk's Session Drummer 2. If you send me a Private Message with your email address, I'll send you a copy to look through. Obviously this tutorial is specific to Session Drummer2, but the editing techniques are almost identical to using all MIDI drums (it's just that the interface varies from product to product).

post edited by SteveStrummerUK - 2013/04/19 07:38:07

mick roddy
    Re:Guitar Tracks 4 Midi tracks 2013/04/16 19:10:19 (permalink)
    Hi Steve,
    It never fails to amaze me how generous some people are with their time and willingness to share their knowledge on forums like this.  Thank you very much.
    Ill drop you a PM for that link if that's ok.
    Cant wait to get my act together with all this. Ill check out all these things you suggest asap.
    Thanks again
    Mick
    SteveStrummerUK
    Re:Guitar Tracks 4 Midi tracks 2013/04/16 20:52:20 (permalink)

No problem Mick, glad to help.

I got your PM, I'll sort out that PDF and send it to you.

buminbeer2
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re:Guitar Tracks 4 Midi tracks 2016/07/19 02:54:35 (permalink)
    Mistake posting...
    post edited by buminbeer2 - 2016/07/19 03:17:53
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1