omni/separate channel mixup - midi usb lead the problem?

Author
retrokit
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2013/09/04 06:05:40 (permalink)

omni/separate channel mixup - midi usb lead the problem?

Hi all, been a while since I've had the time to get stuck into keyboard/sequencer world...  my setup: Music Creator 5, an old Korg X5D, cheap USB-to-midi cable

I've been having problems with sound routing, where tracks (even when selected), play an instrument from a different track - or, in other cases, several are played all at once. Omni mode cures the problems to a certain extent (which surprises me, as I thought that dedicated channels would hammer out the problems), but not entirely, and using dedicated midi channels for each track still tends to play what's on track 1 (aspected to channel 1, and of course the Korg's General Midi channel), when I press a keyboard to hear what's on track 2. I've switched echo off.

What I'm wondering, is this problem more likely to be with the cheap USB-midi cable, or possibly the internals of the X5D? Would spending money on a midi box, such as the Emu, or Roland's similar device, or even something cheaper like this  actually help?

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd appreciate the input. I've spent way too many hours not creating anything at all musically.

Thanks
Charles

2 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: omni/separate channel mixup - midi usb lead the problem? 2013/09/04 07:21:24 (permalink)
    Greetings.

I would advice to invest in a decent USB audio/midi interface. It will be more expensive than the USB midi cable thing, but with ASIO drivers it will work like it's supposed to work.

There was someone else here with a similar issue a few days ago..... I'll look for that thread because perhaps it will help you too.

Found it.... see if this answers your question:  http://forum.cakewalk.com...LP-MEEEE-m2879730.aspx
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2013/09/04 07:23:06

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: omni/separate channel mixup - midi usb lead the problem? 2013/09/04 08:33:40 (permalink)
    It may not be an interface issue at all. Could it be that input echo is enabled enabled on more than one track at a time?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1