Helpful ReplyAddictive Drums not installable on offline PCs-Workaround possible?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Addictive Drums not installable on offline PCs-Workaround possible? 2013/10/01 16:22:52 (permalink)
Grem
Sanderxpander
If you feel it makes you safe to not be online, good on you.

This is your misconception. It's not because of that. I never stated that. Read my posts. I explain clearly why I don't put it online. 
Sanderxpander
EDIT:
Perhaps it makes a difference that I feel pretty confident I could solve any crash or virus apart from a total hardware failure.

I don't know why you feel that you must state how confident you are in your abilities. Maybe your trying to make yourself feel superior to others. However, I am finding it hard to get you to understand why I don't put my music PC online! : )Here it is as clearly as I can explain it. I don't want to. : )  

Haha fair enough. I definitely don't mean to make myself sound superior, and I apologize if it does come off that way. Until I came to this forum it had been a long while since I encountered anyone who kept his DAW pc strictly offline. So I'm just genuinely puzzled. Then, since everyone seems to find it ridiculous that I do have my DAW PC online, I figured I should elaborate and say I wouldn't do this if I didn't
A. Expect it to be trouble free
B. Consider myself able to solve any issues that might arise (whether through internet or otherwise)

What I'm also genuinely interested in is why people feel they are well protected if they're not using AV yet are transferring files back and forth through USB and/or LAN. If anything, the DAW PC in this case seems more vulnerable to viruses and the like, not having any AV and not having gotten any necessary security related Windows updates.

What I read from your posts is not fear of viruses, fair enough, but we do seem to have different workflows. When I'm making music on my DAW computer, I get stuff via gmail or wetransfer that I need to use, I send finished products or in-between files back, I even do simple stuff like googling shortcuts or check out youtube clips because the person I'm working with suggests it for inspiration or whatever. Of course I could have an entirely separate computer there for just those things but I really see no point. It just saves a tremendous amount of time and hassle overall to do that from the computer I'm already working on. It would be a waste of space and money for me.

Apparently, you have a different view and I admit I find it hard to understand.
pauxier
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 38
Re: Addictive Drums not installable on offline PCs-Workaround possible? 2013/10/01 17:15:20 (permalink)
That's not the way it worked for me. They stamp a unique computer ID number for each of the two computers allowed at a time. here's a bit from their site:

Offline Installation of Addictive Drums and add-ons

2013-03-22 11:34 As of May 2012, all XLN Audio products require an internet connection (and at least OS X 10.5 on Mac) for installation. If you don't meet these requirements, we will continue to support 'offline' installation of AD / ADpaks / MIDIpaks released before this date.

Products NOT available for offline install:
- Addictive Drums 1.5.4 or later
- Black Velvet ADpak
- Vintage Dry ADpak
- LOUD Songs & Beats MIDI pak
- Dry Beats & Songs MIDI pak
- Addictive Keys product line

I use ADrums a lot and may not be able to upgrade my Sonar

AMD Phenom II 3.4ghz--8g ram--geforce 9600--WIN7  64b--Sonar X3 64--Tascam US1641
Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: Addictive Drums not installable on offline PCs-Workaround possible? 2013/10/01 17:23:20 (permalink)
I'm just sticking with what I've got. It's not worth the hassle to install sonar on my computer at my work, then install AD, just so I can copy it to a USB stick to take it home to my DAW computer. I guess maybe I could bring my computer to work. I don't know...
Teds_Studio
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 761
Re: Addictive Drums not installable on offline PCs-Workaround possible? 2013/10/02 01:59:53 (permalink)
I don't have any experience with AD...but I can't imagine that it would be better than Superior Drummer 2.0.  So I don't know that I will even bother to install it.  Between SD 2.0 plus expansion packs...and Session Drummer...I have a pretty good arsenal of drum software.  Not to mention all the kits in Dim Pro, which I haven't even tried yet.

ASRock X99 Extreme4 MB....Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 4 GB DDR 5.....Intel i7 5820k 3.3 Ghz....Corsair RM850i power supply....3 Seagate 1TB SATA III drives....32 Gig G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3000.....Win 10 Pro.....Sonar X1 Producer Exp & X2, X3...Platinum....Superior Drummer 2 & 3 w/ N.Y. Vol 2 SDX.....Sony VEGAS Pro 11.0 32 & 64 bit Pro 12.....Sony VX2100.....Sony HVR-Z7U....Sony HDR-CX130....Alesis HD24....Behringer X32 console....Focusrite 18i20....JBL LSR2328P studio monitors with LSR2310P sub.
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: Addictive Drums not installable on offline PCs-Workaround possible? 2013/10/07 13:02:55 (permalink)
I've also tried to do some sort of offline installation following instructions from earlier in this thread, but had to resort to at least do the activation online via a USB modem.

Here's some info I've also put into the other thread where we had discussed this issue:

I have installed AD on one DAW via the online installation process. It did not ask for any paths (which is annoying) and it also immediately deleted all downloaded packages, so that you could not transfer this anywhere else (which was major annoying as I did not want to do another 1+ GB download via mobile networks).

So I transferred all AD files I could find on DAW #1 to DAW #2 and - hurray - you get a fully working version of AD!

BUT, of course, it is only a 10 day demo with a dialog box explaining how to do the offline registration / activation. When you follow these instruction, you'll realize that they removed all offline activation functionality from their webpage i.e. there is no way to do it.

So you have to get online to activate, but at least here it is quick as the installer does not need any further updates and AD itself only needs to repair 2 dlls to be ready to go.

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
aries
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 183
Re: Addictive Drums not installable on offline PCs-Workaround possible? 2013/10/07 16:01:27 (permalink)
I installed Addictive Drums today on my offline computer following the instructions:-
http://www.xlnaudio.com/support-knowledge_base-offline_installation_of_addictive_drums

I installed version 1.5.2 32bit and then updated it to 1.5.3 64bit. When I found a bug in Plugin Manager:-
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Bug-in-Plugin-Manager-m2906094.aspx
Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: Addictive Drums not installable on offline PCs-Workaround possible? 2013/10/08 17:53:52 (permalink)
aries

I installed Addictive Drums today on my offline computer following the instructions:-
http://www.xlnaudio.com/support-knowledge_base-offline_installation_of_addictive_drums

Ok. I read these instructions. Then I tried the link that says to register offline and.....

FreeFlyBertl

When you follow these instruction, you'll realize that they removed all offline activation functionality from their webpage i.e. there is no way to do it.

So explain how you got it activated on your offline PC again?

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
stevec
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: Addictive Drums not installable on offline PCs-Workaround possible? 2013/10/08 19:14:27 (permalink)
It looks as though you can install the pre-1.5.4 versions offline, which is what Aries did (1.5.3).   Since I also purchased AK at the $29 sale price I'm just going to have to suck it up and get a USB wireless adapter in order to install/activate the latest versions of it and AD.

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

EltonJohn
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 90
Re: Addictive Drums not installable on offline PCs-Workaround possible? 2013/10/08 19:52:52 (permalink)
I own AD 1.1.1, but now I have to give it up.

I contacted AD Tech Support about installing newer versions of AD on an offline DAW.  According to AD Tech Support, the last version fo AD that you can install on an offline computer is AD 1.5.3 (current latest version is 1.5.4).  Starting with version 1.5.4, YOU CAN NOT INSTALL AD on an offline computer.  Future versions of AD WILL NOT INSTALL on an offline computer.

Many - but not all - ADpaks can be installed on an ofline computer.  Future ADpaks WILL NOT INSTALL on an offline computer.

My DAW stays offline to keep it free of viruses and to save resources for making and recording music.  So I might install AD 1.5.3 on my offline DAW, but I have no upgrade or expansion path, so I will not be purchasing other stuff from XLN. 

I like AD.  I think it sounds good, and is straight-forward to us.  FWIW, I left a message on the AD forums saying their marketing decisions were hobbling their perfectly good drum software.
Leadfoot
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: Addictive Drums not installable on offline PCs-Workaround possible? 2013/10/08 20:22:57 (permalink)
EltonJohn
I own AD 1.1.1, but now I have to give it up. I contacted AD Tech Support about installing newer versions of AD on an offline DAW.  According to AD Tech Support, the last version fo AD that you can install on an offline computer is AD 1.5.3 (current latest version is 1.5.4).  Starting with version 1.5.4, YOU CAN NOT INSTALL AD on an offline computer.  Future versions of AD WILL NOT INSTALL on an offline computer. Many - but not all - ADpaks can be installed on an ofline computer.  Future ADpaks WILL NOT INSTALL on an offline computer. My DAW stays offline to keep it free of viruses and to save resources for making and recording music.  So I might install AD 1.5.3 on my offline DAW, but I have no upgrade or expansion path, so I will not be purchasing other stuff from XLN.  I like AD.  I think it sounds good, and is straight-forward to us.  FWIW, I left a message on the AD forums saying their marketing decisions were hobbling their perfectly good drum software.

I agree. It's BS that I'm unable to install what is supposed to be included in X3 because I don't have internet access at my house. XLN will never get a dime from me. There's lots of great drum software out there.
stevec
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: Addictive Drums not installable on offline PCs-Workaround possible? 2013/10/08 22:40:24 (permalink)
I've held off on XLN synths for the last year for exactly that reason.   I've never had my DAW online, partly for security but also because I have no connection of any kind in my studio.    But between the free AD and the $29 AK sale, I'm finally giving in.... though I will be online only when it's actually necessary.

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: Addictive Drums not installable on offline PCs-Workaround possible? 2013/10/09 00:24:33 (permalink)
Well I'm not even going to mess with it. SD3, BFD Eco and ezDrummer will do. Along with all the xp packs I get for them.

Now get this, when X2 came out, I was not going to get anything more to go along with it. Just the program. But I ended up getting all the Overloud stuff because I liked it, wanted it and now it's on my computer. Money spent to a company I will continue to deal with.

XLN made a bad choice IMHO. None of my money spent there.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1