Routing Kontakt in X3 Producer

Author
liamflanagan
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
2013/10/30 09:15:27 (permalink)

Routing Kontakt in X3 Producer

Hello,

I searched this forum today to try and find out how to route Kontakt into multi channels of audio and MIDI and though I found John (Platinum Members) guide to doing this in X1 I got stuck part through. Could John or another user please talk me through how to do this in.

Thanks

Liam
Mystic38
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1622
Re: Routing Kontakt in X3 Producer 2013/10/30 09:22:55 (permalink)
heres a short video i did on the audio routing.. the input midi routing is more straightforward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjWyt0DVRqM

HPE-580T with i7-950, 8G, 1.5T, ATI6850, Win7/64, Motu 828 III Hybrid, Motu Midi Express, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 9, Ableton Live 9 & Push 2, Melodyne Editor and other stuff, KRK VXT8 Monitors
Virus Ti2 Polar, Fantom G6, Yamaha S70XS, Novation Nova, Novation Nova II, Korg MS2000, Waldorf Micro Q, NI Maschine Studio, TC-VoiceLive Rack, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2001 Gibson Les Paul DC, 1999 Fender Am Hardtail Strat, Fender Blues Jr, Orange TH30/PPC212, Tak EF360GF, one mic, no talent.
robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: Routing Kontakt in X3 Producer 2013/10/30 10:40:08 (permalink)

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
liamflanagan
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
Re: Routing Kontakt in X3 Producer 2013/11/08 12:58:36 (permalink)
@
I tried using the top link you suggested and despite several attempts I've been unable to get things working 100%. The problem I currently have is that though the MIDI is responding I'm getting no audio out. So I can't hear the instruments. I'm using Kontakt instruments I've created and single stereo audio tracks not mono or two audio like in your post. I also can't route the MIDI back to the MIDI output in Kontakt only to the instrument itselfs. This just triggers all three instruments at once and not the individual instruments.

Can you help me please?

Thanks

Liam
robert_e_bone
Re: Routing Kontakt in X3 Producer 2013/11/08 14:30:31 (permalink)
Liam, let me take another stab at it:

Please follow this exactly:

1.  New project, normal template
2.  Insert an instance of Kontakt, into the synth rack
3.  Load an instrument into the multi-rack.  I will call this 'Instrument A'.  You will notice it has been automatically assigned to midi channel 1, if you look at the loaded instrument in the rack.
4.  Load another instrument into the multi-rack.  I will call this 'Instrument B'.  You will notice Kontakt sets its midi channel to 2.
5.  Now, IF the Output Section is not currently displayed at the bottom of the Kontakt Window, click on the button up at the top of the Kontakt window, that is called Output Section (when you hover over it).  This will toggle the display of the audio output section on/off, at the bottom of the Kontakt window, below the loaded instruments.
6.  Click in the output section, on the button labelled: Presets / Batch Configuration.  This will open a drop-down menu - hover over Batch Functions, which will open to the side with more options, and click on "Clear output section and create one individual channel for each loaded instrument".  You now have each loaded instruments routed to its own audio outputs.
7.  Now, in the Track Pane, insert one or more audio tracks for each loaded instrument (mono, stereo, your choice), and also insert one midi track for each loaded instrument.  Name everything accordingly.
8.  For each set of audio tracks for Instrument A, set the Input on the audio track(s) to receive the audio output from the Instrument A synth.
9.  For the midi track for Instrument A, set the Output to Kontakt, and in the channel strip for the midi track, set the Midi Output Channel to '1', which will match what is set in Kontakt for the midi channel for Instrument A.  (the Midi Output Channel setting is just below the FX Bin on the channel strip for the midi track, and you will click on it and set it to channel 1).  Leave the Input setting alone at the bottom of the midi track's channel strip.  It will default to None or Omni, which is fine.
10  Set the Input on the audio track(s) for Instrument B to receive the audio outputs from the Instrument B synth.
11.  For the midi track for Instrument B, set the Output also to Kontakt, and in the channel strip for the midi track, set the Midi Output Channel to '2', which will match what is set in Kontakt for Instrument B.  Leave the Input at the bottom of the channel strip alone, which will default to None or Omni.

So now, with the above settings completed, you have:

Multiple instruments loaded into an instance of Kontakt
Each loaded instrument in Kontakt will have its own unique audio outputs from Kontakt
Each loaded instrument in Kontakt will also have its own midi channel that it will respond to.

Audio tracks set to receive the output from each associated loaded instrument in Kontakt.
Midi tracks set to send data to Kontakt, with each midi track set to transmit on the midi channel that matches a loaded instrument in Kontakt.

Now, click on the midi track for Instrument A.  By default, Sonar will turn Input Echo On to 'On' for that track, which will highlight the button for that track.  This will allow processed audio for that midi track to be heard.  Because you set the midi track's Midi Output Channel to 1, which matches what is set in Kontakt for Instrument A, you should hear Instrument A audio output, since you have the audio tracks for Instrument A set to pick up the audio output from Instrument A from Kontakt.

So for it all to work you need:

Kontakt, with loaded instruments, midi channels set uniquely, and separate audio outputs for each loaded instrument.

Audio tracks for each instrument, with each set of Inputs set to receive the output from the correct loaded instrument from Kontakt.

Midi tracks for each loaded instrument, each set to Output to Kontakt, and each midi track's Midi Output Channel set to the matching midi channel as setup in the Multi-Rack, for each instrument.

When playing, click on the midi track for the instrument you wish to hear, to get Sonar to automatically turn on the Input Echo On, which is how you can hear that track.

I hope the above helps, please try the above and post back.

Bob Bone

Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
lawajava
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2040
Re: Routing Kontakt in X3 Producer 2013/11/08 21:59:23 (permalink)
Visit DawGuru.com for some great info on this. Seth did a tutorial specific to Kontakt and Sonar on this topic.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
Re: Routing Kontakt in X3 Producer 2013/11/09 03:26:56 (permalink)
Wow! Thanks, guys!  I've been struggling with these issues myself... been bookmarking a lot of feedback lately, and this is super...

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
Vastman
Re: Routing Kontakt in X3 Producer 2014/01/12 01:28:06 (permalink)
Seems like the preceeding approach doesn't take advantage of the inserting an instance of Kontatk 16 outs option in Kontakt... it has the dll for that... I've tried several ways to do this and I wish X3 would just create 16 linked midi and audio tracks under a Kontakt folder so when I load up a multi, say in evolve, which uses 8 stereo outs... it would just do it...(I'm going to try just adding audio tracks for each auto generated midi tracks next...) 

While I can set up a song template, it is very crude as then if I want another Kontakt multi, I gots ta do da whole shebang again, which is realy laborious and disgustingly interuptive to the songwriting inspiration phase of music creation...

Now, I know I'm a dummy so please tell me where I'm not getting this or missing the easy way... please? (I hope I'm missing something...)  

Historically I've just added midi tracks to trigger different parts of a multi but don't have control of each audio part...as it all gets mixed into the Kontakt audio track...

Would this have to be a new feature?  As Kontakt is so widely used, does this make sense...ie, for X3 to open 16 linked midi/audio tracks instead of just midi tracks?   

For a very powerful sampler, it sure is time consuming/not nice to spontaneous use and creation...kinda klugy...or my brain is being dumb...which I hope is the case!

Dana
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
robert_e_bone
Re: Routing Kontakt in X3 Producer 2014/01/12 10:20:39 (permalink)
Well, once I load up whatever instruments I choose for a given instance of Kontakt, I use the Batch Functions - one of which clears the whole output routing section and then it creates a separate stereo output for each loaded instrument.  This process takes maybe 5 seconds to accomplish.

Once I have the output routing section populated for all of the loaded instruments in the multi-rack, I then rename each stereo output to something better than the default (it tries to use the individual preset name).  This gives me Piano, Bass, Organ, etc, instead of preset names from each instrument.

About the only thing that takes any significant time is the naming and routing for the audio tracks.  If one were to build a few common variations of instruments, using track folders as well, one could save those off as track templates.  I do that more with drums than anything, but it is the same principal.

Glad you found a feature that helps cut setup time for you, 

Bob Bone

lawajava
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2040
Re: Routing Kontakt in X3 Producer 2014/01/12 10:43:35 (permalink)
Four comments to add on this. I've been doing the routing quite a bit recently so I get the mapping now.

1. If you are going to route multiple outputs from Kontakt to Sonar X3 there is a learning curve and you just need to learn it. Fortunately, at dawguru.com Seth made a very step by step tutorial that clearly walks you through how to do it and he demystifies the learning necessary. Watching that was all I needed to figure it out.

2. You can save an output mapping from Kontakt in the presets area under the mixer in Kontakt. If you have some things you want to restore or redo in other songs this helps.

3. If you want to use a particular Kontakt multi track outputs mapping frequently, you can either save it all set up and included in a Sonar template file, or you can save the Kontakt midi and audio tracks as Sonar track templates. Dragging the track template into another song file will restore a routing you've saved previously in Sonar.

4. If you tend to need ad hoc set ups for the multi track outputs from Kontakt and you want to use all kinds of different instruments etc from Kontact on different songs or even different instances within a song, then just learning the process enables the set up to go pretty fast once you're familiar with it.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
Vastman
Re: Routing Kontakt in X3 Producer 2014/01/12 17:49:01 (permalink)
I thank you all for the fantastic insights...I spent the night struggling with this, tried a whole bunch of different things, running down dead ends, then spent the time to do as you suggested and somehow found track templates and thought I'd discovered a whole new world of "ease" and was jumping around like an excited dog!  My own lack of awareness of all the amazing things Sonar can do is my worst enemy and now that I'm spending more time and learning it's true power I am becoming sooooo excited. This year, my mantra is to learn this beautiful beast!  Stumbling around, as I've done for years, gets in the way of creating music... while understanding and learning how to use it's amazing tools makes it easier... 

I spent time even looking at how other DAWs handle this on youtube and in the end realize how fortunate I am to have started and stayed with Sonar... as the whole track template system makes it all soooo simple once you spend the time to set things up...

Was a real eye opener for me and I thank you guys for confirming my epiphany moments last night.  Robert and lawajava, your tips make total sense to me now that I've realized how things work and I'm just STOKED!

Thank you Thank You Thank YOU!!! 

Dana
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
robert_e_bone
Re: Routing Kontakt in X3 Producer 2014/01/12 20:52:37 (permalink)
Vastman, you sound like you are well on your way to becoming sleep deprived, enjoying all the fun new widgets and gizmos.

Welcome to it! :)

Bob Bone

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1